Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#439187 - 12/03/10 01:25 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone
war is the world's only hygiene.

I disagree. Unless of course "war" includes those nasty little viruses that cause people to break into cold sweats while shitting out their intestines into the toilet while vomiting the rest of themselves onto the floor resulting in a horrifyingly painful death.

Actually, I think that is sufficiently terrible to qualify as "war". grin

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#439191 - 12/03/10 02:08 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: NapalmNick]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
Unless of course "war" includes those nasty little viruses that cause people to break into cold sweats while shitting out their intestines into the toilet while vomiting the rest of themselves onto the floor resulting in a horrifyingly painful death.

Oh, that's war alright. It's been said that those nasty little viruses aren't capable of completely exterminating a population (yet) but they can crash it. Stabilize those suckers, make them stronger, aim, shoot. Significantly reduce numbers and leave structures standing for the survivors. People wouldn't even know they were sick until their insides started to liquefy.

Humans are remarkably good at destroying themselves. They don't wash their hands, they can't read safety precautions, they don't finish taking their antibiotics, they don't vaccinate their kids, and they nuke their neighbors into oblivion and leave the rest sterile or having babies with third eyes and arms growing out of their foreheads.

So, see? We have nothing to worry about. grin
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#439196 - 12/03/10 04:15 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: SatAnonymous]
SatAnonymous Offline

Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
It seems overpopulation cannot be avoided. Of course the number of old people are more than the younger ones, but what ages do we speak about?
A "child"'s age is maximum ~18 years old, but old ones can be ~60-100. So the number of the years are doubled. It's a bit confusing. Some pages say ~27 people born in 10 second while ~18 die. Maybe that is pointless to speak about old/young ones. Both need a lot of food/places...etc.

I just started to think about a modern solution. What about the virtual realities that you can control through your brain? Imagine a building where people just lay and they get food and etc. by computers while they live in a virtual world. They will be totally healthy because that computers would know what we really need to live for a very long time.
Why would it be good? Because people need less space if they just always stay in one room for a whole life.
It may sound strange, but if we continue the develop of the computers (of course we do) we'll be able to do many more things, even to control brain and feelings...etc.
I imagine it like Ghost In The Shell or Matrix.

But what happens if we really overpopulate and don't have the technology and enough resources..etc for this virtual world? Only the strong will survive? I think yes.

#439200 - 12/03/10 05:34 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Midnight Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Victoria, Australia
A very interesting topic which many politicians and christians are ill equiped to find a solution for.

The Australian Government proved their ignorance about 6 or 7 years ago when they introduced the 'baby bonus' where women were paid up to $5000 when they had their baby. When they ended it a couple of years ago the concluding comment from the treasurer at the time was that the baby bonus policy did everything it intended by successfully increasing the birth rate and population of Australia. I thought it had been introduced to support newborns financially not to increase the voting population of future governments!!!

As l grew up we all noticed that catholic families always had the most children and it was always explained that the catholic church encouraged large families as it meant they got more money per family in the collection plate and it kept the Catholic churches full!!!

I also think that we could easily consider the world 'overpopulated' already. If our world is dying under the current population levels how can it handle more?

Films like Soylent Green could become reality, somebody made a film in 1973 about "a dystopian future suffering from pollution, overpopulation, depleted resources, poverty, dying oceans and a hot climate due to the greenhouse effect".

Anonymous1, have you ever watched The Surrogate with Bruce Willis in it? Your comments in your last post made me think of it. What about the virtual realities that you can control through your brain? Imagine a building where people just lay and they get food and etc. by computers while they live in a virtual world.

Has anyone ever seen the film IDIOCRACY with Luke Wilson? That is one scenario l hope never comes close.
A narrator explains that natural selection is indifferent to intelligence, so that in a society in which intelligence is consistently debased, stupid, irresponsible people easily out-breed the intelligent, creating, over the course of five centuries, an irremediably dim and sexually motivated dystopia. Demographic superiority favours those least likely to advance society. Consequently, the children of the educated élites are drowned in a sea of promiscuous, illiterate, proletarian peers.

Sometimes films can be silly but some of the underlying thoughts behind them are major. I wonder if poeple get these ideas but feel they can't influence those in control so they make a film to send messages to the general public... where the majority continue on their stupid and ignorant way, never thinking of what it all means.

Or l think too deeply and they really are purely for entertainment purposed only. Too bad, l still love watching films.

Hail Satan!
Damn overpopulation of our world!
Midnight

#439201 - 12/03/10 06:08 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: SatAnonymous]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Let nature take care of overpopulation!

I use to have a lot of answers to this question, but the more I analyse, the more blurred the answers is.

#439208 - 12/03/10 08:40 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
What about the virtual realities that you can control through your brain?

Interesting... It just occurred to me that such an environment could be a way to fulfill both point 4 and 5 of Pentagonal Revisionism. As Midnight mentioned - Surrogates was an interesting film.

Another thing I find interesting with the timing of this thread is that my son's homework assignment for "Health Class" last night was to ask his parents how we would respond if he came home and told us that he had impregnated his girlfriend. My response was that this scenario would not be possible because he was aware of how to use contraception, and that he was intelligent enough to know how to prevent it from happening.

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#439217 - 12/03/10 10:40 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: MarquisDeSade]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Quote:
So, if you do the math, you can fit every person on the planet into the state of Texas, and you would have a population density equal to that of Paris, France.

Sorry to be a bit pedantic here, but I'm one of those people who when somebody says, "If you do the math...", I actually do the math.

The state of Texas has a total area of 268,581 square miles. The United States Census Bureau estimates the current world population at 6,885,300,000 people. So in this scenario, you'd have a population density of about 25,636 people per square mile, or a little less than half the population density of Paris. So at least driving wouldn't be an exercise in futility like it is in Paris. wink

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#439219 - 12/03/10 10:52 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I am probably the least qualified to post anything meaningful on this topic. I haven't done the math. I'm not an economist, environmentalist or social scientist. But what I am is someone who has lived through so many "the sky is falling" scenerios I have gotten a lot more comfortable with the idea that things tend to work out. I honestly can't help but think the "problem of overpopulation" is as much hot air as global warming. For all of the damage we have supposedly done to the planet, our health and all the children we are constantly reminded tothink of, I can't think of any other period in history when so many have had it so good. But if there ever does come a time when we get too close to too many, you can thank a natural disaster that we are told to feel bad about.

Just my uneducated opinion.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#439225 - 12/03/10 11:40 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: Virus9]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/largest-cities-density-125.html

Imagine the amount of land needed for agriculture to feed this Texas megatropolis. Consider how much land is currently used on Earth today to feed the current planet's population (which isn't even sufficient). Then consider waste management.

I would say Paris and Tokyo are good examples of cities doing it right with their given populations. But even then there are resources problems, water purification issues, and social ills that come with urban planning. These things can only be sustained for so long before there is a cap limit. Atlanta has a water supply problem, Southern California has large droughts, and coastal areas off the Gulf Coast sustain more damage from hurricanes because of population growth. And these are modern cities with modern systems, I would dread living in the US if it reached India’s population.

Sure we could squeeze everyone on the planet into Texas and pretend it would function like Paris. But it is far more complicated than that.

Like I said, it is similar to saying you could shove all the trash in the world into Montana and forget about it, but that isn’t a solution and neither does it solve a growing problem.

Of course I don’t have a solution. So let’s get a pint.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#439226 - 12/03/10 11:51 AM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Now, now. Global warming isn't a doomsday scenario, but calling it "hot air" is a silly oversimplification. In fact it is an uneducated comment (but you said your post was an uneducated opinion, so no biggie).

You may never see overpopulation affect you or even global warming yet there could be a boiling point in the future you and I may never see.

In fact both of these looming topics are self-correcting problems. Meaning, once humans have died off everything will go back to normal. Until then dedicated people should be devoting real research into these topics and avoiding hyperbolic guess work.

You are making a connection to two different issues. The standard health levels of modern nations have greatly improved. That is a good thing. But say you lived in India your children might not have it so good. The technological progress of our medical system is very different than say the imprint of human actions onto a global system. Too many people make this error in connecting these two different issues.

P.S. I realize global warming is a hot topic here that pushes people's buttons, but I am not about to let that stop my own research into it to form my opinions.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#439228 - 12/03/10 12:30 PM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: SatAnonymous]
theTanman Offline

I have often thought about this topic. I always find it ending in War. The "men of god" in their holy, self denying white light religions, ultimately want to go to heaven with sound peace of mind in their death. What better way to accomplish this then, "dieing for your country" for a cause they more often than not, never questioned.

Hitler did a good job in exterminating the Jews in his days, and I have noticed that in these times, you really don't see many practicing Judaism, or have forgotten that the "Jews" aren't a race. When's the last time you heard of a group of people saying "I can't wait for Hanukkah!" ? Personally, I never have. At least not while I was in America.

Recently, there is the "war on Terror" and all that good stuff. In my opinion it is aimed at the Muslims, which really wasn't a huge problem. They are all too quick to strap a bomb to THEMSELVES, trying to take any American Christian soldiers with them in the process, and the scum Americans (not to say all of us are, just the scum that join the military, gung-ho on death dealing) have never had a second doubt about shooting Muslim women and children, and even in the early stages of this current "war" I personally know individuals who take pride in the fact they could barrel down the streets of Baghdad and plow through any number of people, all for the sake of "God", their country, or just plain fun. (This makes me more than sick to my stomach that I even know these people, even though it's not by choice, never mind the fact that they are still alive, and praised for these disgusting crimes against life.)

Back to another point addressed in the previous paragraph Muslims killing themselves and Christians. Two birds with one stone? Sounds too good to be true to me HAH! I would think one of two things would happen within the next 150 years, the Muslims end up like the Jews, and the remaining ones are so Americanized they can barely consider themselves Muslims anymore (thus possibly leading to them saying Muslim or Islam is a race rather than religion) and thus, Christianity/the remainder of the predominant "Holy" religions, being the last and final target, in depopulating the world of "religious scum" with another very very large scale war. The second thing that I speculate could happen, is the "Two Birds" scenario, in which, Muslims and Christians suffer a HUGE depopulation, because of the way they fight one another. Christian: "I will die for my country" Muslim: "I will take as many as I can to Heaven with me", I would think that this scenario would result in leaving enough Goodguy Badge holders, to still be manipulated, so that the Satanists can actually advance society and mankind, without the hindrance of "Holy" predominance in the world.

This is all mostly based on my personal opinions and speculation and if there is something inherently "wrong" in my thinking or speculation, please, point it out. I do know this though for sure. In "The Satanic Rituals", in the writing regarding the Yezidis, the Al-Jilwah, on page 168, a few words jumped out at me one of which is and I quote,
"I will not give my rights to other gods. I have allowed the creation of four substances, four times, and four corners, because they are necessary things for creatures. The books of
Jews, Christians, and Moslems, as of those who are without,
accept in a sense, so far as they agree with, and conform
to, my statutes. Whatsoever is contrary to these they have
altered; do not accept it. Three things are against me, and I
hate three things."

The part I personally agree with, is something I have felt my whole life, I hate those three religions. Not to say ALL of the practitioners are wrong or bad, but the people I have hated most, in my existence, were one of those three religions. I do not take this section in The Satanic Rituals to be the literal "words from the evil horned devil himself", as the only Devil I have ever seen, is that handsome one in the mirror.

Well in a few words, its "God" versus the "Devil", there will be wars, but the "Devil" fights from the shadows, or something to that effect. Like I said, this is a subject I have over analyzed, almost as long as I can remember and have many thoughts regarding it.

Hail Satan.

#439232 - 12/03/10 12:58 PM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: anna]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

In summary, and without concealing the truth:

White people are breeding less and less. European countries are largely aging populations.

Black and brown people however are breeding like cockroaches.

I make no particular implication with this statement, only citing the facts. Africa and S. America, and parts of Asia, are becoming drastically overpopulated, and white populations in western nations are slowing down while immigrants breed vigorously.

#439233 - 12/03/10 01:04 PM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
If only they had more condoms in places like Africa. You know, safe reliable birth control for overpopulated regions also afflicted with AIDS and the like. Wouldn't that be nice? I wonder who's halting that particular fragment of progress...

#439247 - 12/03/10 02:17 PM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: Discipline]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Sure we could squeeze everyone on the planet into Texas and pretend it would function like Paris.

I never meant to imply it would. In fact it would make Delhi in the midst of the Commonwealth Games look like a paradise in a side by side comparison.

What I'm saying is that Texas only accounts for a little over 2% of the planet's habitable surface area. In other words, we are in no imminent danger of the world's population being stacked on top of one another like cords of firewood.

You mention Paris and Tokyo as examples of cities that are effectively adapting to their growing populations. As such they also act as proving grounds for strategies that will have to be adapted for more cities in the future.

Of course these strategies are only a means to forestall the inevitable. Populations will continue to grow until they can no longer do so, then they will shrink. Then they'll develop new strategies to continue growing. That's pretty much how it's been going for the whole of human history, and I expect that's how it will continue to go for some time to come.

It's a little early in my day for a pint, sir, but I'll toast you with my Dr. Pepper. wink

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#439251 - 12/03/10 02:34 PM Re: Overpopulation? [Re: Discipline]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Discipline
P.S. I realize global warming is a hot topic here that pushes people's buttons, but I am not about to let that stop my own research into it to form my opinions.

I would hope not. What fun would it be if everyone were interested in the same things, and agreed all the time.

I could use more study in the topic at hand; but, I probably know more about it than I think. What gets me is that populations are growing in already heavily populated areas. I imagine that the actual land mass inhabited by humans may be less than many think. I've been told that I live in the most densely populated state in the US. Funny...most of the population is in a fairly small area of the state. I live not far from some woods that one can still get lost in. The population of my town is growing more rapidly than the amount of new homes being built. A large percentage of people live on pretty much the same amount of land as when it was less densily populated. So I'm not sure we are running out of land.

As for natural resources...again, there are reasons other than population that play a larger role. Politics, for one. I'm told there are tons of unused food that has been sent to certain areas because of politics. I may have been misled.

I also understand that most populations are having less children. That may not bring about zero population growth; but it does slow down the exponential factor.

All of these larger issues have so many factors that the best we can hope for is to form our own opinions based on the information we have, keep an open mind in the scientific sense and go from there. It just seems that when I hear a crisis gain popularity, there always seems to be a hook. Someone is making money. That doesn't mean there is no substance to the claims. It just makes me skeptical.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406055 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements