Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#439977 - 12/11/10 07:23 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Kenaz Offline

For the unknown really. The next thing that could happen. Where I'll be tomorrow, what I'll discover, who I'll meet, challenges that I will face and overcome, people I will love, lust, and of course sex and masturbation.

I love life.

The Tree of Knowledge | The Tree of Life

#440021 - 12/12/10 01:22 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
To imprint myself upon the world. I am a force of nature.

Upon summation of their lives most people may as well have never lived at all. Of course few can face the fact that their lives have no intrinsic value.

Some earthquakes are of greater magnitude than others.

Some rivers are little more than a dribble.

Or as it was once said: there are no prizes for writing great shopping lists.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#440022 - 12/12/10 01:28 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
GoodMourning Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Somewhere out there is a soccer mom cursing your name right now... cool

#440023 - 12/12/10 01:34 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: GoodMourning]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: GoodMourning
Somewhere out there is a soccer mom cursing your name right now... cool

It's even harder for people to accept that the lives of their children have no intrinsic value either. Outside of sentiment there are whole multiple generations that simply.... have no value.

Most people are no more important than a rotting log.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#440027 - 12/12/10 02:41 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
GoodMourning Offline

That kinda echoes something I wrote awhile back. I don't remember what the point was, but I vaguely remember saying "You are not special. Your children are not special. And neither am I". I believe it had something to do with the subjective nature of living and the meaning we attach to things.

#440033 - 12/12/10 03:20 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Reverend Strongbone always puts things in a wonderfully articulate manner, but I'd also like to add a couple of tidbits from Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything to this discussion.

"... like you and me and every other living thing, they have one overwhelming impulse: to continue to be." [p. 461]

(when talking about DNA) "All organisms are in some sense slaves to their genes. That's why salmon and spiders and other creatures more or less beyond counting are prepared to die in the process of mating. The desire to breed, to disperse one's genes, is the most powerful impulse in nature. As Sherwin B. Nuland has put it, 'Empires fall, ids explode, great symphonies are written, and behind all of it is a single instinct that demands satisfaction.'" [p. 497]

So, to me, none of this needs to be overanalysed. I exist primarily to pass on my genetic material. I've partnered with a mate whom I belief possesses genetic material that, when combined with mine, will produce superior offspring. At the age of two years, our son is already exhibiting his intelligence above the others around him. That could, of course, be a result of how we parent him.

Bryson also says, and I paraphrase, that from an evolutionary point of view sex is really just a reward mechanism to encourage us to pass on our genes. Considering the fact that we are a big thinking ape, one that overanalyses everything, and the fact that many of us place more importance in careers and the like than in propagating, I'd say that the yummy sex feelings we get for having sex is nature's way of telling this analytical ape to fuck.

And that's really all there is to it, stripping it bare, our purpose for living is to fuck. It may not be my purpose for living (my purpose for living is really irrelevant in the big scheme of things, and no one's business but mine), but I sure as hell enjoy it all the same.

#440036 - 12/12/10 03:51 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Venom Offline

Loc: In the Belly of the Beast.
I forgot - To make a difference.

#440040 - 12/12/10 08:17 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: GoodMourning]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
I say that mantra about a million times a day at work… it's so true that most parents today practice various forms of "child worship" (which I hate), and that they have an overinflated sense of how important they themselves are.

But just to play devil's advocate, who cares and what does it matter? My life and the life of my kids mean everything to ME, and that's ultimately who I live for. I'd much rather enjoy the life I have knowing that I hang the moon to those that love me than spend my life trying to make people remember me after I'm too dead to even know it or reap the benefits of it. If that makes me a 'lesser person', at least I'm happy and don't need validation from others to know that my life means something to someone.

Ultimately, 99.9% of people's lives and accomplishments will be forgotten once they are gone. Spending one's entire existence trying to gain the recognition of the world (which in most cases gives you nothing back while you can enjoy it) and living a "tortured life" because of it seems to me to be somewhat …. eh, not that much better than shopping lists in terms of true happiness. Besides, so many people who left their mark on our world did it organically, not because they forced it.

But that's just an insignificant mother talking. Hey, at least I don't waste time (or life) denying it. wink coopdevil

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#440042 - 12/12/10 08:31 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
GoodMourning Offline

And I'm just an insignificant mother fucker! smile

But on a serious note, I think the topic moved from "what do you live for" to "what is the meaning of life". In any case, it's important to note that meaning is purely subjective and life is "what you make it", per se. Ultimately, there's no right or wrong answer. It just simply is. As Satanists, I believe most of us are simply trying to enjoy ourselves while we are alive, in whatever way that may be.

In the end, you are correct. "Who cares and what does it matter"? The only person that should care is the individual living his or her life, but we both know that's not realistic. It seems that many people have something to prove.

#440045 - 12/12/10 08:44 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> Besides, so many people who left their mark on our world did it organically, not because they forced it. <<

It can happen organically. But actually, it is rare.

More usually, despite outward appearances high achievement is usually the result of hard work and complete tenacity. A one singular vision towards a life-mission.

I do believe that few people can grasp the concept of this. And also understand why.

Having a life mission, an all consuming mission in life isn't something one chooses. It is something in-born.

I do believe there are mediocre people, there are adequate people, there are exceptional people. And then there are Gods who walk amongst men.

It is, of course, only upon summation of a man's life can it be properly quantified.

But there are the true Gods who walk amongst others.

I've quoted it so many times and I will again:

"A person whose genius or other predilection is contributory to the development of any science, art, philosophy or religion as a life-work, having accepted his mission and administering it for the world's weal and his own happiness - he is a world worker."

~ Dr. Elmer Gates (1853 - 1923).

One could change "world worker" for Sorcerer. wink

>> Spending one's entire existence trying to gain the recognition of the world <<

As I alluded to in my original post: it isn't about that. It is imposing ones own will upon the world.

My post was not an attack on you or anyone else. It is simply the truth of the matter.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#440048 - 12/12/10 08:55 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Oh, gosh, I absolutely didn't take it as an attack on myself or anyone in particular. I certainly hope you didn't take my reply as a slight to you. I was just giving a different perspective, also based on truth. You know I have all the respect in the world for who you are and what you do. Of all people, I think I know how your writing is not a personal choice. It's just who you are. Our only differing opinions are that one's choice to make a great shopping list and care for a family doesn't instantly make one inferior to an artist. There are so many more factors that come in play before being able to fairly say that.
smile

Your quote is a great one, and I can see why you use it. However, sorcerers come in all forms. I don't think it's a matter of one person's choice in how they live their lives that makes them powerful in their magic, so long as they make their will realized in the context of their own desires. Different goals, different approaches. One is not necessarily better than the other. wink

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#440056 - 12/12/10 09:52 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> Different goals, different approaches. One is not necessarily better than the other. <<

Like I said, people and Gods. There is a difference. Some people are more valuable than others on a grander scale. It's just an unpalatable fact.

And I wish you'd stop going back and changing what you say. Otherwise I would not have had to come back here again.
grin

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#440059 - 12/12/10 10:10 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

You are not your job when you have so much else to make you who you are. I know you think otherwise, but I don't.

Sigh. It's ok, I won't continue to beat my head against the wall on this one…otherwise, it will simply subject those reading to the eternal disagreement. smile

p.s. The edit button must have been created by "people", just to get under the skin of those superior. It's the only way, you see. wink grin

Edited by Bruja (12/12/10 10:13 AM)
Edit Reason: just cause now it's funny.

#440062 - 12/12/10 10:33 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Bruja
The edit button must have been created by "people", just to get under the skin of those superior. It's the only way, you see. wink grin

And there is the crux of the matter. You are personalising my argument.

I am merely stating that there are tiers within human society. Now I am either right or I am wrong.

And I aint wrong.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#440064 - 12/12/10 10:40 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Nah, that was a joke.

Of course there are tiers, I just think your way of classifying people in those tiers is flawed.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405803 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements