Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#440066 - 12/12/10 10:54 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> I just think your way of classifying people in those tiers is flawed.<<

Well, you're wrong.

There are those that live in obscurity and those that make a sheer, unequivocal contribution to the world on a grand scale.

The true Gods who walk amongst the masses.

You are also wrong that people don't want to hear this. On the contrary, people here are absolutely appreciating the knowledge I have imparted here.
grin

#440068 - 12/12/10 11:05 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

I'm just going to quote one of my favorite literary characters since they summed up my thoughts on the matter very nicely:

Quote:
I believe that life is a mess. It is like yeast, a ferment, a thing that moves and may move for a minute, an hour, a year, or a hundred years, but that in the end will cease to move. The big eat the little that they may continue to move, the strong eat the weak that they may retain their strength. The lucky eat the most and move the longest, that is all . . . I held that life was a ferment, a yeasty something which devoured life that it might live, and that living was mearly successful piggishness. Why, if there is anything in supply and demand, life is the cheapest thing in the world. There is only so much water, so much earth, so much air; but the life that is demanding to be born is limitless.
Wolf Larsen, The Sea-Wolf

#440069 - 12/12/10 11:08 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Lust Offline

I live because it's fun. This makes me evil you see.

I fucking love life. I appreciate the seasons and the show they put on for me each year. The smell of summer mornings just before the heat comes. The white of winter and combating the cold. Life is wonderful and I live to indulge all its mysteries. Time with my Lady and family is precious and rewarding. Enjoying art and creating extensions of life. Living it up!

I worship life and see it as the chance to rise above those who just do not get it. The death adorers and spiritual types worship death because they do not have what it takes to enjoy the here and now. Let them wallow in their delusions I say but stay out of my way.

Why do I live?
Because life is the great indulgence! coopdevil
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#440071 - 12/12/10 11:14 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
From a purely biological standpoint, success in life is passing one's genes into the next generation (fitness).

I think it was Mussolini who said that only a father could ever be a true man.

By that perspective, the uneducated prole families who produce veritable litters of children are more successful than any of us here who have no offspring.
Of course, those future generations will also be the ones to decide what is remembered and who is celebrated. Status and "life after death through fulfillment of the ego" are always, if regrettably, going to be subject to social whims and cultural vicissitudes.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
~ Charles Bukowski

#440072 - 12/12/10 11:22 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
By that perspective, the uneducated prole families who produce veritable litters of children are more successful than any of us here who have no offspring.

Haha! Then one can only hope that those of us who do have offspring, have offspring who end up herding those prole kids like sheep. wink

#440075 - 12/12/10 11:41 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Why do you live? What are your goals in life?

I know the answer to that. smile
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#440076 - 12/12/10 11:42 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
"Why do I live?" Because I choose to. It's either life or death and death isn't appealing just yet.

It would be more appropriate to ask "what do I live for?" The answer to that is just as simple, I live for me. I live for the pleasures that are to be had.

I don't live for my job. However that eight hours a day enables me (and my partner who works even longer hours) to indulge ourselves in all that we enjoy. Like sex and sleep in a really nice bed! Good food and drink, vacations, concerts, nice clothes (even if I make most of them myself), pampering our cats, caring for our fish tanks and the vast number of hobbies that I have.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#440078 - 12/12/10 11:53 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Why do I live?

Well, besides all the other obvious reasons already given, I would have to say I live for immortality.....

There really is no alternative.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#440086 - 12/12/10 01:01 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Some of you say we are not more 'complicated', but what if we think about our technology? For example a computer. Only human can make (or xenu lol) pcs and that machines are complicated.

Geez, this sounds a lot like the bogus argument used by Jesus-freak creationists to glorify humans, in contrast to the 7th Satanic Statement. We couldn't make a personal computer 100 years ago. Heck, even 200 years ago, the concept of leisure time was foreign to most people. 600 years ago we didn't even have printed books. 6,000 years ago we hadn't even reached the Bronze Age. 10,000 years ago we didn't even have written languages. Yet biologically, we're the same species now than we were back then.

Obviously on the surface we have a glaringly different environment and daily priorities than other primate species. But again, these all trace back to really simple differences. Namely, slightly better hands, and a better ability to mimic and recall things.

Quote:
Human life is not as simple as an animal's life.

Only because we've decided to make it that way, mostly due to distractions we've created for ourselves. 80,000 years ago we were still behaving no differently than most other primate species. Most of this "complicated" stuff you're talking about has only showed up within the last 0.00000003% of the span of time that life has existed on Earth.* We're still primates when you get right down to it.

(* - For those who want to see the math: 10,000 years divided by 3.5 x 10^9 years is 1/(3.5x10^5), then divided by 100 to change it into a percentage gives you about 2.85x10^-8)

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#440089 - 12/12/10 01:46 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Shade]
SatAnonymous Offline

Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Originally Posted By: Shade
Why do you live? What are your goals in life?

I know the answer to that. smile

Then tell us. (=
What it your answer?

#440091 - 12/12/10 01:53 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bill_M]
SatAnonymous Offline

Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Originally Posted By: Bill_M

Geez, this sounds a lot like the bogus argument used by Jesus-freak creationists to glorify humans, in contrast to the 7th Satanic Statement. We couldn't make a personal computer 100 years ago. Heck, even 200 years ago, the concept of leisure time was foreign to most people. 600 years ago we didn't even have printed books. 6,000 years ago we hadn't even reached the Bronze Age. 10,000 years ago we didn't even have written languages. Yet biologically, we're the same species now than we were back then.

Okay, but that was the past. Things are always changing. World is becoming 'faster and faster' nowadays, right?
Ofc biologically we are the same, but human in the past could live together with nature and now? It seems most people would die really fast without technology. Just look at the illnesses like allergy or viruses.

#440093 - 12/12/10 02:22 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
human in the past could live together with nature and now?

Everybody on the count of three...

1-2- "Noble savage!"

#440094 - 12/12/10 02:25 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I do like how Anton LaVey put it: Religion is the most important thing in a persons life. If electric trains are the most pervasive thing in ones life, that is his religion. Anything can be a religion if it means a lot. If your present religion isnt the most important thing in your life, then skip it. Find whatever impels you most and make that your religion.

Stratification is always in play. What we decide to do is up to us as individuals but others who are their own Gods have just as much right to judge us. So while I may be the master and what I do others who do it differently will judge me.

#440095 - 12/12/10 02:40 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
CoffinRust Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Bruja
Ultimately, 99.9% of people's lives and accomplishments will be forgotten once they are gone. Spending one's entire existence trying to gain the recognition of the world (which in most cases gives you nothing back while you can enjoy it) and living a "tortured life" because of it seems to me to be somewhat . eh, not that much better than shopping lists in terms of true happiness. Besides, so many people who left their mark on our world did it organically, not because they forced it.

I'm reminded of "The Magic of Mastery" from Magus Gilmore's The Satanic Scriptures. In the essay he describes how Satanists excel in fields they have an affinity for, and achieve a mastery that awes and confounds those who do not share their skills and talents.

But among the fields listed as examples in the essay, not all of them are considered particularly "glamorous." Some of them could foolishly be perceived as "lowly," probably because they aren't given as much recognition from the "outside world" as other fields. But if a Satanist has an affinity for such, they will excel at it, master it, and be perfectly happy in their own little world (Addendum: while having a profound effect on the individuals lucky enough to encounter them). And I'm of the opinion that it's his or her own little world that truly matters. Because we know what the outside world is full of.

Originally Posted By: Bruja
My life and the life of my kids mean everything to ME, and that's ultimately who I live for. I'd much rather enjoy the life I have knowing that I hang the moon to those that love me than spend my life trying to make people remember me after I'm too dead to even know it or reap the benefits of it. If that makes me a 'lesser person', at least I'm happy and don't need validation from others to know that my life means something to someone.

Having had the pleasure of seeing you in your environment and witnessing the grace with which you excel at the management of your family and job and other endeavors, your skills do indeed awe and confound; and in my opinion, more so than many who are striving in more socially-accepted "glamorous" fields.

Edited by CoffinRust (12/12/10 02:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Addendum Inserted

CoffinRust.com | On Facebook | On Undercroft | The Compleat Witch Illustrated Bibliography

The Church of Satan Baphomet Altarpiece
The ONLY Altarpiece endorsed by the Church of Satan, using the Trademarked CoS Sigil of Baphomet.
A percentage from each piece sold is proudly paid directly to the organization for this privilege.
Do not accept imitations!

#440098 - 12/12/10 03:16 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: CoffinRust]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
That is a lovely thing to say, dear friend. Thank you. I have much respect and love for you as a person, and if I can count you among those who feel my life has made a positive impression on them, I am honored and my heart is warmed.

Folks could go on all day about how to gauge success and their mark on the world, I think Warlock Obsidian articulated that perfectly and really showed both sides of the coin with his post. At the end of the day, I'm truly not interested in right or wrong, I'm just glad to be able to say I'm happy and fulfilled at this stage in my life. It's certainly true that others have every right to judge one's choices and lifestyle, but as a Satanist living in this world, "me" is all that matters.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12099 Members
73 Forums
43863 Topics
405472 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements