Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#439850 - 12/10/10 02:27 AM Why do you live?
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
I really want to know why we keep ourselves alive. Since we are more complicated than 'animals' it is a very interesting question. Some people live for revenge some for faith...etc.

We, inividuals don't live for the same thing and don't follow other people. Speaking about that topic here is more interesting than listening to the 'fellas' (those who are really 'mind washed').

Instincts? Indulgence? Knowledge? What do you think is the most imoprtant for living? Or what things are needed to fulfill your happiness?
To simplify the question: Why do you live? What are your goals in life?
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#439852 - 12/10/10 03:10 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
GoodMourning Offline



Registered: 12/05/10
Posts: 79
Loc: Oklahoma
Simple really... to eat, drink, and be merry. :P

But really, I live for equally simple reasons. To learn, to enjoy the finer things the world has to offer, and to be a father. Everything else is just a part of the ride; some good, some bad. It's just a ride. Try to enjoy it.

And yes, I am quite fond of Bill Hicks. wink
_________________________
My blog: http://5ate0.com

Top
#439853 - 12/10/10 03:24 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 08/08/01
Posts: 2318
I live because I do. My life in and of its self needs no justification, explanation, arbitrary value or purpose. The more complicated things I do may require these observations or judgments, but my life does not.

Underneath my actions, there lies the baseness of my living. My eating, drinking, smiling, fucking. My essential carnality. To ascribe greater meaning to those things is only for those people who have somehow sullied their own lives with ideas that savages have rightfully scoffed at for ages.

I have found in my life that being happy simply requires being joyful, as much of a pain in the ass that might be for all the crackpots who want to sell you a smile. It's when we go stirring our hands around in the simplicity of ourselves that we go screwing things up.

I'm a savage. All I need is freedom, food, shelter, wonder and a mate.

That's it.

Now as for:

"Since we are more complicated than 'animals' it is a very interesting question."

Not so much. I find that people are building on little increments of knowledge gained over the course of millions of years.

People in their egoism, admitted or otherwise, assume they're in an elevated position because they're able to solve one piece of a much larger puzzle.

Sure, that's admirable. Sure, our process makes us different.

More complicated, better, higher? Not really. The genome of mankind has traded off the direct decency and purity of other animals so that it can solve this puzzle, piece by piece. Sometimes I question whether or not it was a fair trade.

Most people are clearly unhappy.

The complication is from an amassing of years of knowledge, not our direct and personal complication in some contrast to other animals.
_________________________
My site: www.josiegallows.com

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

Top
#439856 - 12/10/10 05:10 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
LightAngel Offline


Registered: 09/10/05
Posts: 1682
Loc: Denmark
I live because I'm curious, I want to find answers.

I also live to create, and to enjoy all the pleasures of life.

I want to be as happy as I can, so I also want to be as strong as I can, because I know it's connected.

Top
#439858 - 12/10/10 07:21 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Insurgent]
GoodMourning Offline



Registered: 12/05/10
Posts: 79
Loc: Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Insurgent
Underneath my actions, there lies the baseness of my living. My eating, drinking, smiling, fucking. My essential carnality.

Exactly. People attempt to separate themselves from their true nature, but that's our essence. We are animals. We eat, drink, and fuck to survive much like any other animal. Everything else, all of our subjective experiences and such, is the "icing on the cake" in my opinion. What we do and how much joy we get out of life is entirely up to the individual. smile
_________________________
My blog: http://5ate0.com

Top
#439860 - 12/10/10 07:43 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline


Registered: 09/10/05
Posts: 1682
Loc: Denmark
Lol, I'm not sure how I could forget to mention one of the most entertaining things about life for me jack

Motion Of Love


Top
#439861 - 12/10/10 08:05 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
J. Hagalaz Offline


Registered: 12/30/03
Posts: 1212
Loc: USA
Why do I live? What else is there? My life is the only thing there is! Everyone else, and everything else, are just extensions of that. Death doesn't even exist because when it's here, I won't be.

To be or not to be. I'd rather BE.

And whatever meaning I attach to my being is entirely up to me, and always subject to change.
_________________________
They are doomed because they cannot even glimpse beyond the construct that their masters have put into place. Their masters are doomed because they believe in the construct they created.

Top
#439864 - 12/10/10 09:32 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Registered: 09/23/06
Posts: 3406
I live for


and

Top
#439866 - 12/10/10 09:42 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Zaftig]
Waya Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 04/03/09
Posts: 1443
And I live to see women in high heels! grin coopdevil
On a serious note.
I live to enjoy life and to embrace what sweet nature offers, and creating my own masterpiece. Living should be the book of endless chapters.
_________________________
Church of Satan

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey



Top
#439867 - 12/10/10 09:46 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
anna Offline


Registered: 09/27/10
Posts: 219
Loc: Poland
I really want to know why we keep ourselves alive.

Well, there is no other way. Suicide is no fun. We cannot always have what we want and many people have all the things that others can only dream of and stll they are unhappy. So it is important to find joy and pleasure in simple things like, for instance, walking in the snow, drinking coffee, talking to friends, reading, music, stroking and cuddling pets and so on.
_________________________
Just gonna stand there and watch me burn. Well that's alright because I like the way it hurts.

Top
#439868 - 12/10/10 10:15 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Zaftig]
GoodMourning Offline



Registered: 12/05/10
Posts: 79
Loc: Oklahoma
Both of those things look delicious. devilchili
_________________________
My blog: http://5ate0.com

Top
#439870 - 12/10/10 10:22 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Registered: 06/28/01
Posts: 10129
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.
_________________________
"The devil I'll bring you," answered Hagen. "I have enough to carry with my shield and breastplate; my helm is bright, the sword is in my hand, therefore I bring you naught."

Top
#439871 - 12/10/10 11:57 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Registered: 07/25/01
Posts: 12990
Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Why do you live?


Oh, well, it looked interesting, and it seemed like other people were enjoying it enough, so I figured I'd give it a try myself laugh.

Seriously--on the small scale, I live for the simple pleasures, like food, friends, family, sex, books, movies, fun outings and adventures, teaching, and learning. On the large scale, various long-term career-related goals and projects keep me moving forward, even during those times when the present isn't so pleasant wink.
_________________________
"Gentlemen, the verdict is guilty, on all ten counts of first-degree stupidity. The penalty phase will now begin."--Divine, "Pink Flamingos."

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Top
#439872 - 12/10/10 12:01 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Ninth_Cimmerian Offline

CoS Warlock

Registered: 04/30/03
Posts: 1148
Loc: Washington State
"What is the purpose of life?"

To live. smile
_________________________
Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

Survival Is The Highest Law!

Top
#439873 - 12/10/10 12:08 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Zsche Offline



Registered: 04/17/09
Posts: 158
Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Hear, Hear!

Cheers!
_________________________
Originally Posted By: Phineas
My suggestion to you, besides obtaining a copy of The Satanic Bible and reading it, is to immerse yourself in the information contained at the Church of Satan website.

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

Top
#439875 - 12/10/10 12:25 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 07/28/01
Posts: 11560
Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
I really want to know why we keep ourselves alive.

While I can't speak for everybody, I've got shit to do. I'm also driven my primal instincts to 1) get what I want, and 2) stay out of danger.

Quote:
Since we are more complicated than 'animals'

Not really. Most of the stuff in life that we've developed or built, even the ones we take for granted, didn't really exist 5,000 years ago. We're primates with a good knack for pattern-searching and tool-making, but that's about it.
_________________________
Reverend Bill M.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Top
#439883 - 12/10/10 01:48 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 05/22/06
Posts: 3082
Loc: Pure Imagination
I live because one day a boy met a girl and they fell in love....

Top
#439884 - 12/10/10 01:49 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Venom Offline


Registered: 04/15/10
Posts: 295
Loc: In the Belly of the Beast.
I live to survive, reproduce and have fun.
_________________________
Venom
The Cult Insurgency

Top
#439886 - 12/10/10 02:02 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Pearlian Offline
Fucking cat killer

Registered: 12/09/10
Posts: 3
Loc: NH
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
I really want to know why we keep ourselves alive.


Man's most powerful instinct--the will to live! Life is the only thing we've ever known. We don't know what's beyond it, only that the living are simply "left behind", and that seems to be the greatest evidence for there being something after life. But, it seems to us to be an unearthly place, somewhere beyond the stars where no human being can reach while being alive; the afterlife is the only true unknown (or "the one new thing under the sun", which is ironically not under the sun at all).

To support the afterlife comment--when someone dies, what is said about their material possessions? That they were "left behind". But you can't leave something behind without going somewhere; car keys can't be considered "left behind" until the owner has actually left the house. So when someone dies, how can they "leave behind" their belongings unless they've actually gone somewhere else?

Where do they go? I dunno. Being a living human, I'm the least qualified to answer that question.

As for "humans being more complicated than animals", I think that desire to prove that is the basis of civilization. Animals do what they need to do--eat, sleep, fuck. They sometimes travel in packs, because there is safety in numbers, and they seek out environments most conducive to their comfort and well-being.

They don't build cities and churches and governments. The most they'll do is designate an "Alpha Male" because--let's face it, the strongest creature should be at the top of the pyramid. They abstain from building monuments to their "complexity" because they have nothing to prove. They realize that the moment a building is erected signifies the first step in that building falling down.

Ironically, animals are the most Satanic of us all. Animals don't have churches--and Satanism doesn't either.

The difference? Opposable thumbs. We're the only creature to have them, and we feel the need to "prove" that they are there for a reason. So to prove our superior intellect, we build skyscrapers and airplanes; we write books about Gods and then kill each other about them; we invent guns and bombs and then use them to destabilize an already fragile race of beings.

So why do I live?

-shrug-

I believe that asking that question is the first step toward questioning oneself. Questioning oneself leads to doubt; doubt leads to fear. And fear leads to the need for comfort, the need to know that we are better than something/someone else--or just the need to know we're more "complicated".

Top
#439891 - 12/10/10 03:47 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Some of you say we are not more 'complicated', but what if we think about our technology? For example a computer. Only human can make (or xenu lol) pcs and that machines are complicated. Nowadays computers are some kind of part of us. Technology - medicines / created organs / radio waves through our body... and much more.

Human life is not as simple as an animal's life. We have more thoughts and more possibilities...etc.

Anyway, most of your mind are similar to mine.

Questioning oneself is a very good way to explore a world inside mind. It's necessary and also the first step to understand the world (if you want).
I think, doubt doesn't lead always to fear. It depends on situation / question / personality...etc.

My point is about that topic in short: world is pointless (life also). It's just exists and that's all. And it's all about chances. However everyone takes place on the right positions.
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#439892 - 12/10/10 03:50 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Mr_47]
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Originally Posted By: Mr_47
I live because one day a boy met a girl and they fell in love....


Seriously?
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#439893 - 12/10/10 04:46 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 05/22/06
Posts: 3082
Loc: Pure Imagination
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Originally Posted By: Mr_47
I live because one day a boy met a girl and they fell in love....


Seriously?


Yes, seriously. I couldn't be here today if my parents hadn't conceived me. wink

Top
#439895 - 12/10/10 04:58 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Mr_47]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 05/22/06
Posts: 3082
Loc: Pure Imagination
On a more serious note, I have creative endeavors I want to see finished and I want to make the most out of my life in terms of experience. I want to travel, I want to see historical architecture and works of art. I want to indulge in all the finer things in life.

That, in a nutshell, is my driving force.

Top
#439896 - 12/10/10 05:05 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Registered: 03/10/05
Posts: 6999
Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I live for new experiences. A food I didn't know about...a better beer...seeing another snow. I'm just having too much fun to stop.


EDIT: Scratch that. My cat just informed me that I live for her. Who knew?


Edited by Roho_the_Rooster (12/10/10 05:07 PM)
_________________________
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Top
#439897 - 12/10/10 05:07 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Direktor Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 01/12/08
Posts: 499
Quote:
Some of you say we are not more 'complicated', but what if we think about our technology? For example a computer. Only human can make (or xenu lol) pcs and that machines are complicated. Nowadays computers are some kind of part of us. Technology - medicines / created organs / radio waves through our body... and much more.


Yeah, but Man is the braggart animal. wink

Man has the uncanny ability to invent something new that fixes one problem, only to cause three more.
_________________________
"A complete education in Satanic philosophy is available at your local video store."
-Magistra Blanche Barton, The Church of Satan


"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."
-Hippolyte Taine



Top
#439898 - 12/10/10 05:08 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Registered: 03/10/05
Posts: 6999
Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.


I'm glad I read this before responding, because I was going to write, "Beer and Boobs".
_________________________
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Top
#439899 - 12/10/10 05:10 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bill_M]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Registered: 03/10/05
Posts: 6999
Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Bill_M


Quote:
Since we are more complicated than 'animals'

Not really. Most of the stuff in life that we've developed or built, even the ones we take for granted, didn't really exist 5,000 years ago. We're primates with a good knack for pattern-searching and tool-making, but that's about it.



Look at an ant hill. Look at a sky scraper. Variations on a theme.
_________________________
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Top
#439902 - 12/10/10 06:33 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
SINClair Offline


Registered: 10/06/08
Posts: 320
Loc: Europe
With man as with every other animal, it is the survival instinct that will keep them alive.

As for personal goal, everyone will have a different story to tell, some alike, some not even remotely, with happiness probably being a common denominator amongst all.
_________________________
"Wer Nichts Wagt, Kann Nichts Verlieren"

Top
#439969 - 12/11/10 04:25 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SINClair]
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Originally Posted By: SINClair
With man as with every other animal, it is the survival instinct that will keep them alive.


I think instinct < knowledge. And there are also some emotions that can be more powerful for example love or even hate.
People over 30 would be already dead with instincts only.
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#439970 - 12/11/10 04:47 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Mr_47]
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Originally Posted By: Mr_47
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Originally Posted By: Mr_47
I live because one day a boy met a girl and they fell in love....


Seriously?


Yes, seriously. I couldn't be here today if my parents hadn't conceived me. wink




Anyway.

Originally Posted By: Mr_47
On a more serious note, I have creative endeavors I want to see finished and I want to make the most out of my life in terms of experience. I want to travel, I want to see historical architecture and works of art. I want to indulge in all the finer things in life.

That, in a nutshell, is my driving force.


You seems to be a very constructive person. Right?
I just want to find some answers about the constructive/destructive instincts in human. Normally men should have more destructive and less constructive. And the opposite for woman. Movies, history or arts are good example for this.
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#439977 - 12/11/10 07:23 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Kenaz Offline


Registered: 10/14/07
Posts: 76
For the unknown really. The next thing that could happen. Where I'll be tomorrow, what I'll discover, who I'll meet, challenges that I will face and overcome, people I will love, lust, and of course sex and masturbation.

I love life.
_________________________
Kenaz

The Tree of Knowledge | The Tree of Life

Top
#440021 - 12/12/10 01:22 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 06/25/02
Posts: 10573
Loc: England
To imprint myself upon the world. I am a force of nature.

Upon summation of their lives most people may as well have never lived at all. Of course few can face the fact that their lives have no intrinsic value.

Some earthquakes are of greater magnitude than others.

Some rivers are little more than a dribble.

Or as it was once said: there are no prizes for writing great shopping lists.
_________________________
"u.v.ray blends the dark street poetry of Nelson Algren with the swagger and style of a young Iggy Pop."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com





Top
#440022 - 12/12/10 01:28 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
GoodMourning Offline



Registered: 12/05/10
Posts: 79
Loc: Oklahoma
Somewhere out there is a soccer mom cursing your name right now... cool
_________________________
My blog: http://5ate0.com

Top
#440023 - 12/12/10 01:34 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: GoodMourning]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 06/25/02
Posts: 10573
Loc: England
Originally Posted By: GoodMourning
Somewhere out there is a soccer mom cursing your name right now... cool



It's even harder for people to accept that the lives of their children have no intrinsic value either. Outside of sentiment there are whole multiple generations that simply.... have no value.

Most people are no more important than a rotting log.
_________________________
"u.v.ray blends the dark street poetry of Nelson Algren with the swagger and style of a young Iggy Pop."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com





Top
#440027 - 12/12/10 02:41 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
GoodMourning Offline



Registered: 12/05/10
Posts: 79
Loc: Oklahoma
That kinda echoes something I wrote awhile back. I don't remember what the point was, but I vaguely remember saying "You are not special. Your children are not special. And neither am I". I believe it had something to do with the subjective nature of living and the meaning we attach to things.
_________________________
My blog: http://5ate0.com

Top
#440033 - 12/12/10 03:20 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Original Sly Offline


Registered: 09/10/09
Posts: 205
Loc: New Zealand
Reverend Strongbone always puts things in a wonderfully articulate manner, but I'd also like to add a couple of tidbits from Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything to this discussion.

"... like you and me and every other living thing, they have one overwhelming impulse: to continue to be." [p. 461]

(when talking about DNA) "All organisms are in some sense slaves to their genes. That's why salmon and spiders and other creatures more or less beyond counting are prepared to die in the process of mating. The desire to breed, to disperse one's genes, is the most powerful impulse in nature. As Sherwin B. Nuland has put it, 'Empires fall, ids explode, great symphonies are written, and behind all of it is a single instinct that demands satisfaction.'" [p. 497]

So, to me, none of this needs to be overanalysed. I exist primarily to pass on my genetic material. I've partnered with a mate whom I belief possesses genetic material that, when combined with mine, will produce superior offspring. At the age of two years, our son is already exhibiting his intelligence above the others around him. That could, of course, be a result of how we parent him.

Bryson also says, and I paraphrase, that from an evolutionary point of view sex is really just a reward mechanism to encourage us to pass on our genes. Considering the fact that we are a big thinking ape, one that overanalyses everything, and the fact that many of us place more importance in careers and the like than in propagating, I'd say that the yummy sex feelings we get for having sex is nature's way of telling this analytical ape to fuck.

And that's really all there is to it, stripping it bare, our purpose for living is to fuck. It may not be my purpose for living (my purpose for living is really irrelevant in the big scheme of things, and no one's business but mine), but I sure as hell enjoy it all the same.
_________________________
"It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings" - Ellsworth Toohey, Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead p.637

Top
#440036 - 12/12/10 03:51 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Venom Offline


Registered: 04/15/10
Posts: 295
Loc: In the Belly of the Beast.
I forgot - To make a difference.
_________________________
Venom
The Cult Insurgency

Top
#440040 - 12/12/10 08:17 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: GoodMourning]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Registered: 04/22/05
Posts: 2054
Loc: Atlanta, GA.
I say that mantra about a million times a day at work… it's so true that most parents today practice various forms of "child worship" (which I hate), and that they have an overinflated sense of how important they themselves are.

But just to play devil's advocate, who cares and what does it matter? My life and the life of my kids mean everything to ME, and that's ultimately who I live for. I'd much rather enjoy the life I have knowing that I hang the moon to those that love me than spend my life trying to make people remember me after I'm too dead to even know it or reap the benefits of it. If that makes me a 'lesser person', at least I'm happy and don't need validation from others to know that my life means something to someone.

Ultimately, 99.9% of people's lives and accomplishments will be forgotten once they are gone. Spending one's entire existence trying to gain the recognition of the world (which in most cases gives you nothing back while you can enjoy it) and living a "tortured life" because of it seems to me to be somewhat …. eh, not that much better than shopping lists in terms of true happiness. Besides, so many people who left their mark on our world did it organically, not because they forced it.

But that's just an insignificant mother talking. Hey, at least I don't waste time (or life) denying it. wink coopdevil
_________________________
Hail Satan!
Bruja

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Top
#440042 - 12/12/10 08:31 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
GoodMourning Offline



Registered: 12/05/10
Posts: 79
Loc: Oklahoma
And I'm just an insignificant mother fucker! smile

But on a serious note, I think the topic moved from "what do you live for" to "what is the meaning of life". In any case, it's important to note that meaning is purely subjective and life is "what you make it", per se. Ultimately, there's no right or wrong answer. It just simply is. As Satanists, I believe most of us are simply trying to enjoy ourselves while we are alive, in whatever way that may be.

In the end, you are correct. "Who cares and what does it matter"? The only person that should care is the individual living his or her life, but we both know that's not realistic. It seems that many people have something to prove.
_________________________
My blog: http://5ate0.com

Top
#440045 - 12/12/10 08:44 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 06/25/02
Posts: 10573
Loc: England
>> Besides, so many people who left their mark on our world did it organically, not because they forced it. <<

It can happen organically. But actually, it is rare.

More usually, despite outward appearances high achievement is usually the result of hard work and complete tenacity. A one singular vision towards a life-mission.

I do believe that few people can grasp the concept of this. And also understand why.

Having a life mission, an all consuming mission in life isn't something one chooses. It is something in-born.

I do believe there are mediocre people, there are adequate people, there are exceptional people. And then there are Gods who walk amongst men.

It is, of course, only upon summation of a man's life can it be properly quantified.

But there are the true Gods who walk amongst others.

I've quoted it so many times and I will again:

"A person whose genius or other predilection is contributory to the development of any science, art, philosophy or religion as a life-work, having accepted his mission and administering it for the world's weal and his own happiness - he is a world worker."

~ Dr. Elmer Gates (1853 - 1923).

One could change "world worker" for Sorcerer. wink


>> Spending one's entire existence trying to gain the recognition of the world <<


As I alluded to in my original post: it isn't about that. It is imposing ones own will upon the world.

My post was not an attack on you or anyone else. It is simply the truth of the matter.





_________________________
"u.v.ray blends the dark street poetry of Nelson Algren with the swagger and style of a young Iggy Pop."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com





Top
#440048 - 12/12/10 08:55 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Registered: 04/22/05
Posts: 2054
Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Oh, gosh, I absolutely didn't take it as an attack on myself or anyone in particular. I certainly hope you didn't take my reply as a slight to you. I was just giving a different perspective, also based on truth. You know I have all the respect in the world for who you are and what you do. Of all people, I think I know how your writing is not a personal choice. It's just who you are. Our only differing opinions are that one's choice to make a great shopping list and care for a family doesn't instantly make one inferior to an artist. There are so many more factors that come in play before being able to fairly say that.
smile

Your quote is a great one, and I can see why you use it. However, sorcerers come in all forms. I don't think it's a matter of one person's choice in how they live their lives that makes them powerful in their magic, so long as they make their will realized in the context of their own desires. Different goals, different approaches. One is not necessarily better than the other. wink
_________________________
Hail Satan!
Bruja

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Top
#440056 - 12/12/10 09:52 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 06/25/02
Posts: 10573
Loc: England
>> Different goals, different approaches. One is not necessarily better than the other. <<


Like I said, people and Gods. There is a difference. Some people are more valuable than others on a grander scale. It's just an unpalatable fact.

And I wish you'd stop going back and changing what you say. Otherwise I would not have had to come back here again.
grin
_________________________
"u.v.ray blends the dark street poetry of Nelson Algren with the swagger and style of a young Iggy Pop."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com





Top
#440059 - 12/12/10 10:10 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Registered: 04/22/05
Posts: 2054
Loc: Atlanta, GA.
You are not your job when you have so much else to make you who you are. I know you think otherwise, but I don't.

Sigh. It's ok, I won't continue to beat my head against the wall on this one…otherwise, it will simply subject those reading to the eternal disagreement. smile

p.s. The edit button must have been created by "people", just to get under the skin of those superior. It's the only way, you see. wink grin


Edited by Bruja (12/12/10 10:13 AM)
Edit Reason: just cause now it's funny.
_________________________
Hail Satan!
Bruja

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Top
#440062 - 12/12/10 10:33 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 06/25/02
Posts: 10573
Loc: England
Originally Posted By: Bruja
The edit button must have been created by "people", just to get under the skin of those superior. It's the only way, you see. wink grin



And there is the crux of the matter. You are personalising my argument.

I am merely stating that there are tiers within human society. Now I am either right or I am wrong.

And I aint wrong.
_________________________
"u.v.ray blends the dark street poetry of Nelson Algren with the swagger and style of a young Iggy Pop."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com





Top
#440064 - 12/12/10 10:40 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Registered: 04/22/05
Posts: 2054
Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Nah, that was a joke.

Of course there are tiers, I just think your way of classifying people in those tiers is flawed.
_________________________
Hail Satan!
Bruja

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Top
#440066 - 12/12/10 10:54 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 06/25/02
Posts: 10573
Loc: England
>> I just think your way of classifying people in those tiers is flawed.<<


Well, you're wrong.

There are those that live in obscurity and those that make a sheer, unequivocal contribution to the world on a grand scale.

The true Gods who walk amongst the masses.

You are also wrong that people don't want to hear this. On the contrary, people here are absolutely appreciating the knowledge I have imparted here.
grin
_________________________
"u.v.ray blends the dark street poetry of Nelson Algren with the swagger and style of a young Iggy Pop."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com





Top
#440068 - 12/12/10 11:05 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 08/25/08
Posts: 579
I'm just going to quote one of my favorite literary characters since they summed up my thoughts on the matter very nicely:

Quote:
I believe that life is a mess. It is like yeast, a ferment, a thing that moves and may move for a minute, an hour, a year, or a hundred years, but that in the end will cease to move. The big eat the little that they may continue to move, the strong eat the weak that they may retain their strength. The lucky eat the most and move the longest, that is all . . . I held that life was a ferment, a yeasty something which devoured life that it might live, and that living was mearly successful piggishness. Why, if there is anything in supply and demand, life is the cheapest thing in the world. There is only so much water, so much earth, so much air; but the life that is demanding to be born is limitless.
Wolf Larsen, The Sea-Wolf
_________________________
Resigned -- again.

Top
#440069 - 12/12/10 11:08 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Lust Offline


Registered: 11/02/05
Posts: 4214
I live because it's fun. This makes me evil you see.

I fucking love life. I appreciate the seasons and the show they put on for me each year. The smell of summer mornings just before the heat comes. The white of winter and combating the cold. Life is wonderful and I live to indulge all its mysteries. Time with my Lady and family is precious and rewarding. Enjoying art and creating extensions of life. Living it up!

I worship life and see it as the chance to rise above those who just do not get it. The death adorers and spiritual types worship death because they do not have what it takes to enjoy the here and now. Let them wallow in their delusions I say but stay out of my way.

Why do I live?
Because life is the great indulgence! coopdevil
_________________________
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

Top
#440071 - 12/12/10 11:14 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Registered: 10/29/04
Posts: 3120
Loc: Ohio
From a purely biological standpoint, success in life is passing one's genes into the next generation (fitness).

I think it was Mussolini who said that only a father could ever be a true man.

By that perspective, the uneducated prole families who produce veritable litters of children are more successful than any of us here who have no offspring.
Of course, those future generations will also be the ones to decide what is remembered and who is celebrated. Status and "life after death through fulfillment of the ego" are always, if regrettably, going to be subject to social whims and cultural vicissitudes.
_________________________
~ Mr. Obsidian (JP)

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones
_______________

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski


Top
#440072 - 12/12/10 11:22 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Original Sly Offline


Registered: 09/10/09
Posts: 205
Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
By that perspective, the uneducated prole families who produce veritable litters of children are more successful than any of us here who have no offspring.


Haha! Then one can only hope that those of us who do have offspring, have offspring who end up herding those prole kids like sheep. wink
_________________________
"It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings" - Ellsworth Toohey, Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead p.637

Top
#440075 - 12/12/10 11:41 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Registered: 07/08/06
Posts: 6135
Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Why do you live? What are your goals in life?


I know the answer to that. smile
_________________________
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

Top
#440076 - 12/12/10 11:42 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Lilibeta Offline


Registered: 12/06/08
Posts: 157
Loc: Alberta, Canada
"Why do I live?" Because I choose to. It's either life or death and death isn't appealing just yet.

It would be more appropriate to ask "what do I live for?" The answer to that is just as simple, I live for me. I live for the pleasures that are to be had.

I don't live for my job. However that eight hours a day enables me (and my partner who works even longer hours) to indulge ourselves in all that we enjoy. Like sex and sleep in a really nice bed! Good food and drink, vacations, concerts, nice clothes (even if I make most of them myself), pampering our cats, caring for our fish tanks and the vast number of hobbies that I have.
_________________________

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

Top
#440078 - 12/12/10 11:53 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Registered: 10/16/10
Posts: 768
Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Why do I live?

Well, besides all the other obvious reasons already given, I would have to say I live for immortality.....

There really is no alternative.
_________________________
"The difference between the man or woman who's a practicing Satanist, from an identity Satanist is that the practicing Satanist looks at the picture, while the identity Satanist studies the frame."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End





Top
#440086 - 12/12/10 01:01 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 07/28/01
Posts: 11560
Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Some of you say we are not more 'complicated', but what if we think about our technology? For example a computer. Only human can make (or xenu lol) pcs and that machines are complicated.

Geez, this sounds a lot like the bogus argument used by Jesus-freak creationists to glorify humans, in contrast to the 7th Satanic Statement. We couldn't make a personal computer 100 years ago. Heck, even 200 years ago, the concept of leisure time was foreign to most people. 600 years ago we didn't even have printed books. 6,000 years ago we hadn't even reached the Bronze Age. 10,000 years ago we didn't even have written languages. Yet biologically, we're the same species now than we were back then.

Obviously on the surface we have a glaringly different environment and daily priorities than other primate species. But again, these all trace back to really simple differences. Namely, slightly better hands, and a better ability to mimic and recall things.

Quote:
Human life is not as simple as an animal's life.

Only because we've decided to make it that way, mostly due to distractions we've created for ourselves. 80,000 years ago we were still behaving no differently than most other primate species. Most of this "complicated" stuff you're talking about has only showed up within the last 0.00000003% of the span of time that life has existed on Earth.* We're still primates when you get right down to it.

(* - For those who want to see the math: 10,000 years divided by 3.5 x 10^9 years is 1/(3.5x10^5), then divided by 100 to change it into a percentage gives you about 2.85x10^-8)
_________________________
Reverend Bill M.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Top
#440089 - 12/12/10 01:46 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Shade]
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Originally Posted By: Shade
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Why do you live? What are your goals in life?


I know the answer to that. smile


Then tell us. (=
What it your answer?
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#440091 - 12/12/10 01:53 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bill_M]
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Originally Posted By: Bill_M

Geez, this sounds a lot like the bogus argument used by Jesus-freak creationists to glorify humans, in contrast to the 7th Satanic Statement. We couldn't make a personal computer 100 years ago. Heck, even 200 years ago, the concept of leisure time was foreign to most people. 600 years ago we didn't even have printed books. 6,000 years ago we hadn't even reached the Bronze Age. 10,000 years ago we didn't even have written languages. Yet biologically, we're the same species now than we were back then.


Okay, but that was the past. Things are always changing. World is becoming 'faster and faster' nowadays, right?
Ofc biologically we are the same, but human in the past could live together with nature and now? It seems most people would die really fast without technology. Just look at the illnesses like allergy or viruses.
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#440093 - 12/12/10 02:22 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Original Sly Offline


Registered: 09/10/09
Posts: 205
Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
human in the past could live together with nature and now?


Everybody on the count of three...

1-2- "Noble savage!"
_________________________
"It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings" - Ellsworth Toohey, Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead p.637

Top
#440094 - 12/12/10 02:25 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Registered: 03/31/05
Posts: 1649
I do like how Anton LaVey put it: Religion is the most important thing in a person’s life. If electric trains are the most pervasive thing in one’s life, that is his religion. Anything can be a religion if it means a lot. If your present religion isn’t the most important thing in your life, then skip it. Find whatever impels you most and make that your religion.

Stratification is always in play. What we decide to do is up to us as individuals but others who are their own Gods have just as much right to judge us. So while I may be the master and what I do others who do it differently will judge me.
_________________________









Top
#440095 - 12/12/10 02:40 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
CoffinRust Offline
CoS Priest

Registered: 01/07/03
Posts: 2137
Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Bruja
Ultimately, 99.9% of people's lives and accomplishments will be forgotten once they are gone. Spending one's entire existence trying to gain the recognition of the world (which in most cases gives you nothing back while you can enjoy it) and living a "tortured life" because of it seems to me to be somewhat …. eh, not that much better than shopping lists in terms of true happiness. Besides, so many people who left their mark on our world did it organically, not because they forced it.

I'm reminded of "The Magic of Mastery" from Magus Gilmore's The Satanic Scriptures. In the essay he describes how Satanists excel in fields they have an affinity for, and achieve a mastery that awes and confounds those who do not share their skills and talents.

But among the fields listed as examples in the essay, not all of them are considered particularly "glamorous." Some of them could foolishly be perceived as "lowly," probably because they aren't given as much recognition from the "outside world" as other fields. But if a Satanist has an affinity for such, they will excel at it, master it, and be perfectly happy in their own little world (Addendum: while having a profound effect on the individuals lucky enough to encounter them). And I'm of the opinion that it's his or her own little world that truly matters. Because we know what the outside world is full of.

Originally Posted By: Bruja
My life and the life of my kids mean everything to ME, and that's ultimately who I live for. I'd much rather enjoy the life I have knowing that I hang the moon to those that love me than spend my life trying to make people remember me after I'm too dead to even know it or reap the benefits of it. If that makes me a 'lesser person', at least I'm happy and don't need validation from others to know that my life means something to someone.

Having had the pleasure of seeing you in your environment and witnessing the grace with which you excel at the management of your family and job and other endeavors, your skills do indeed awe and confound; and in my opinion, more so than many who are striving in more socially-accepted "glamorous" fields.


Edited by CoffinRust (12/12/10 02:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Addendum Inserted
_________________________
Reverend Byrd, Church of Satan

CoffinRust.com | On Facebook | On Undercroft | The Compleat Witch Illustrated Bibliography

The Church of Satan Baphomet Altarpiece
The ONLY Altarpiece endorsed by the Church of Satan, using the Trademarked CoS Sigil of Baphomet.
A percentage from each piece sold is proudly paid directly to the organization for this privilege.
Do not accept imitations!

Top
#440098 - 12/12/10 03:16 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: CoffinRust]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Registered: 04/22/05
Posts: 2054
Loc: Atlanta, GA.
That is a lovely thing to say, dear friend. Thank you. I have much respect and love for you as a person, and if I can count you among those who feel my life has made a positive impression on them, I am honored and my heart is warmed.

Folks could go on all day about how to gauge success and their mark on the world, I think Warlock Obsidian articulated that perfectly and really showed both sides of the coin with his post. At the end of the day, I'm truly not interested in right or wrong, I'm just glad to be able to say I'm happy and fulfilled at this stage in my life. It's certainly true that others have every right to judge one's choices and lifestyle, but as a Satanist living in this world, "me" is all that matters.
_________________________
Hail Satan!
Bruja

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Top
#440101 - 12/12/10 03:52 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 12/25/08
Posts: 1691
Loc: Germany
You're an inspiring lady, Witch Bruja. smile

I was thinking about this topic a little and...

I think what matters is that when one chooses some direction in life, then should walk that path in an excellent way, as well as is able to.



And to topic- what do I live for? I will express my stance similarly to how Shade did.

Is my complex secret. smile

Top
#440103 - 12/12/10 04:14 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Registered: 04/22/05
Posts: 2054
Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Of course, you're right. No matter what the path, pursuing excellence and holding on to your passion with both hands is what it's all about. I'm sure that as Satanists, we all run the spectrum of lifestyles and desires, but that is the one common thread that we should all share.

Best of luck to you with your complex secret, I've no doubt you will do well. You're inspiring yourself.
_________________________
Hail Satan!
Bruja

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Top
#440118 - 12/12/10 09:32 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 02/05/10
Posts: 1132
Loc: New Jersey
As for me, I think I now live for this thread, as it permits me to look at six lovely female avatars popping up in reply to one another. cool

_________________________


Top
#440123 - 12/12/10 09:51 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Riddles Offline


Registered: 10/16/10
Posts: 82
Loc: Maryland
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Why do you live?

To enjoy life. I know that doesn't sound very deep, but I'd say it's a good reason.

"If you see life as anything but pure entertainment, you've missed the entire point."
--George Carlin

Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
What are your goals in life?

1. To find new ways to experience and enjoy life, and to maintain the ways that I have already found.
2. To help my wife do the same.
3. To raise my future children in a way to make their existence worthwhile, not just to pump out resource-sucking idiots who merely contribute to overpopulation.

Defining the sub-goals to get from point A to Point B is a bit harder. Right now, and I'm just trying to graduate, get a good job, enjoy the rare moments of free time that I have, and maintain peace with my wife in the process. I'll do my best to figure out the rest as the time comes.
_________________________
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
--Mark Twain

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Top
#440126 - 12/12/10 10:30 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Machismo]
GoodMourning Offline



Registered: 12/05/10
Posts: 79
Loc: Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Machismo
As for me, I think I now live for this thread, as it permits me to look at six lovely female avatars popping up in reply to one another. cool

You said it... I just thought it. coopdevil
_________________________
My blog: http://5ate0.com

Top
#440132 - 12/13/10 01:57 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 08/08/01
Posts: 2318
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Some of you say we are not more 'complicated', but what if we think about our technology? For example a computer. Only human can make (or xenu lol) pcs and that machines are complicated. Nowadays computers are some kind of part of us. Technology - medicines / created organs / radio waves through our body... and much more.

Human life is not as simple as an animal's life. We have more thoughts and more possibilities...etc.


Which humans?

Never lose sight of the fact that people who have thoughts more complicated than other animals, in a legitimate conceptual sense and not just computational, are rare.

People can tinker away at their PC's all day long but I don't think they understand life anymore than a cat that's somehow learned to turn on faucets or open doors. Adept tool usage doesn't translate into the larger conceptual understanding that only a small fraction of humans have ever possessed.

There is a major difference between the mind that creates instructions and the mind that follows instructions. Both are useful, good and necessary.

Nietzsche spoke about this dichotomy by referring to Slave and Master morality, but I wouldn't even be that cynical (for once).

My theory is easily proven by the billions of people who don't understand half of what just three or four people in this thread understand. Take away their allotted technological comfort and you are quickly met with an average primate who do not at all fit your pretty picture of "more possibilities" and "more thoughts."

Billions of them.

With guns. smile
_________________________
My site: www.josiegallows.com

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

Top
#440133 - 12/13/10 02:00 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Bruja]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 08/08/01
Posts: 2318
Originally Posted By: Bruja
I'm sure that as Satanists, we all run the spectrum of lifestyles and desires, but that is the one common thread that we should all share.



Definitely.
_________________________
My site: www.josiegallows.com

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

Top
#440135 - 12/13/10 02:06 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 08/23/08
Posts: 2153
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Why do you live?

FUR TEH LULZ
_________________________
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris; not the end." --Leonard Nimoy as Captain Spock in The Undiscovered Country

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

Top
#440136 - 12/13/10 03:32 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 06/25/02
Posts: 10573
Loc: England
>> I think what matters is that when one chooses some direction in life, then should walk that path in an excellent way, as well as is able to. <<


If I die tomorrow, I have failed. Simple as that. And that isn't a joyous thought. What I have within me is an unfillable hunger. An almost pathological drive that I cannot do anything about. Yes; art is, for the artist, a compulsion, not an indulgence.

I have not said that it makes me happier than everyone else. I acknowledge it is both a necessity of my existence and a torture. It can, for the most part, render me completely unhappy.

As I have said, my initial response was to the original post. I made no personal comments to anyone. I was speaking about humanity as a whole.

But my basic point is thus:

That humanity consists of a great mass. Within that mass there are wasters, there are adequate, there are good, and there are exceptional individuals. Within this great sea of people there are multiple generations of families that are of no greater importance than a colony of ants wiped out by boiling water being poured down it.

And then there are those who are the giants, the true Gods who walk amongst men.

Beethoven. Einstein. Jung. Dali.

People who unequivocally and undeniably make an impact, impose their will, upon the world by the sheer driving force of their very being.

It is only a case of applying objective standards to grasp this.

Now myself, as both a writer and a Satanist, why would I not want to pursue greatness? I can't be satisfied with mediocrity, with being a okay writer.

Yes it is a torture. But I am glad I am born with this drive within me.

What I am saying about man and where one fits in society may be unpalatable for many. But as I said, it's an unpalatable truth.

But once again, nothing I have said was aimed at any individual.

So anyway, back to square one: that's why I live.
_________________________
"u.v.ray blends the dark street poetry of Nelson Algren with the swagger and style of a young Iggy Pop."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com





Top
#440139 - 12/13/10 04:01 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 12/25/08
Posts: 1691
Loc: Germany
I knew your stance. smile

Stratification based on various criteria occurs in every group of individuals, as Satanists we do know that.

I also didn't direct my response at you, not any personal intention.

We are throwing nonexistent hot potato into each other's hands, Mr. smile

Top
#440143 - 12/13/10 07:21 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: NapalmNick]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 07/06/05
Posts: 2785
Loc: America
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Why do you live?

FUR TEH LULZ


Some say it is the only reason to do anything.
_________________________
"If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin

Top
#440148 - 12/13/10 09:28 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Registered: 10/29/04
Posts: 3120
Loc: Ohio
Of everything you've said to your point, this post really drives the crux home.

As I recently remarked to a friend here, I can very much relate to that sentiment expressed by Julius Caesar whom, roiled in his frustrated ambition, approached a statue of Alexander the Great, fell to his knees and began weeping. When asked why he wept, Caesar replied, "Why should I not? At my age of thirty, He had conquered the world, and I have achieved nothing."
_________________________
~ Mr. Obsidian (JP)

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones
_______________

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski


Top
#440246 - 12/13/10 08:46 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Registered: 07/25/01
Posts: 12990
Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone
>>
Beethoven. Einstein. Jung. Dali.

People who unequivocally and undeniably make an impact, impose their will, upon the world by the sheer driving force of their very being.


Now, here's a matter for discussion and debate:

How important is fame?

And how does it rank in comparison to other values, qualities, and considerations?

Would you (and this is a question for anyone and everyone) rather be less-well-known, but more skilled and more productive, or more well-known, or less skilled or less productive? How satisfied or dissatisfied will you be with your life looking back, if you never become a household name, a la Dali or Einstein?

Quote:
When asked why he wept, Caesar replied, "Why should I not? At my age of thirty, He had conquered the world, and I have achieved nothing."


As Despair.com put it once, "When Keats was your age, he was dead." wink


Edited by TrojZyr (12/13/10 08:55 PM)
_________________________
"Gentlemen, the verdict is guilty, on all ten counts of first-degree stupidity. The penalty phase will now begin."--Divine, "Pink Flamingos."

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Top
#440254 - 12/14/10 12:21 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: TrojZyr]
LightAngel Offline


Registered: 09/10/05
Posts: 1682
Loc: Denmark
If you can find true happiness in this chaos, then you are God in your own life. It's a bit like mathematics, you have to solve the puzzles, and find out what makes YOU happy.

You won't find any answers in books, the answer is already inside yourself.

And then it doesn't really matter if you are a nurse, or a writer. And it doesn't matter if you want fame or not.

I'm a private person, so I don't care about fame, I only sell my art to people I care about.

Top
#440277 - 12/14/10 06:37 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: LightAngel]
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
I like the way you think about life. It's kinda similar to mine. But what do you mean with the happiness and God part in your post? 'Gods' are not happy always, right?
ps. I know your replay was not for me but I'm interested. smile
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#440278 - 12/14/10 06:42 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: TrojZyr]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 07/06/05
Posts: 2785
Loc: America
Quote:
Would you (and this is a question for anyone and everyone) rather be less-well-known, but more skilled and more productive, or more well-known, or less skilled or less productive?


I'd rather not just pick one, but seeing as one is more likely than the other, I choose skill and productivity.

We've all heard of the depressed millionaire, but really, most of the people that are rich and emo are so because they are rich due to fame, not famous because they are rich. I would probably be a little depressed to if I had millions, the love and adoration of billions, all because I was good at pretending. Well, maybe not all that sad about it ( wink ) , but when I see movie stars over compensating by adopting a whole bunch of children, or getting really heavy into religion, or something else, throw a rock in Hollywood, I have to wonder if they don't sense how little they actually contribute beyond keeping the masses distracted.

Which isn't a bad thing, I just saying I understand how it would leave them a little unfulfilled.
_________________________
"If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin

Top
#440279 - 12/14/10 07:20 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
LightAngel Offline


Registered: 09/10/05
Posts: 1682
Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
I like the way you think about life. It's kinda similar to mine. But what do you mean with the happiness and God part in your post? 'Gods' are not happy always, right?
ps. I know your replay was not for me but I'm interested. smile


I think it's all about seeing the world as your playground, you have to find out what kind of ''games'' you like to play. When you master the ''games'' then you become God in your own life.

Gods are not always happy, that's true. But if your passion is to feel great, then you won't be trapped in some negative circle of pain, you won't look for an easy solution either, you will do whatever it takes to make yourself a stronger person.

Freedom is very important for me also, and that's why I'm a private person, many famous people lose their freedom, and that would just be hell for me.

So it's very important to follow your own nature if you want to be happy.

You can enjoy the playground much better that way jack

Top
#440287 - 12/14/10 08:18 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: TrojZyr]
SINClair Offline


Registered: 10/06/08
Posts: 320
Loc: Europe
Beethoven, Einstein, Jung, and Dali did not aim for fame, fame was not their goal, it was merely one result element of what their being imposed upon the world.

Fame is not necessarily important. I'm sure that is why the examples given were: Beethoven, Einstein, Jung and Dali... and not the Backstreet Boys, Simon Cowell, Dr. Phil and Bill Caldwell.

What is important is to distinguish the difference between fame and being remembered for leaving a mark.

Fame won't necessarily last.

Fame is only important whilst it lasts. Fame was for instance very important to the Backstreet Boys a decade or so ago, as it was the foundation upon which they have built their fortune, but their fame a decade or so ago will no longer have any importance whatsoever, not even to those close to them, their offspring generation and so forth, in a hundred years time and so forth.
_________________________
"Wer Nichts Wagt, Kann Nichts Verlieren"

Top
#440313 - 12/14/10 10:08 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Registered: 06/25/02
Posts: 10573
Loc: England
>> How important is fame? <<


I am afraid you have completely missed the point.

EDIT: Reply was to Trojzr. I have no idea why it says someone elses name at the top.

_________________________
"u.v.ray blends the dark street poetry of Nelson Algren with the swagger and style of a young Iggy Pop."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com





Top
#440316 - 12/14/10 10:35 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: LightAngel]
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Thanks for that (fast) reply.

Seems that the 'God' you write about is a GameMaster in my dictionary.

Freedom is a strange word that I had always problem. Important of course, but possible? Or that's just another paradoxon... Maybe I'll open topic about it.
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#440410 - 12/14/10 10:01 PM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
Norton Kurtz Offline


Registered: 12/13/10
Posts: 12
Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
I really want to know why we keep ourselves alive. Since we are more complicated than 'animals' it is a very interesting question. Some people live for revenge some for faith...etc.

We, inividuals don't live for the same thing and don't follow other people. Speaking about that topic here is more interesting than listening to the 'fellas' (those who are really 'mind washed').

Instincts? Indulgence? Knowledge? What do you think is the most imoprtant for living? Or what things are needed to fulfill your happiness?
To simplify the question: Why do you live? What are your goals in life?


1) I do not feel that "we are more complicated than 'animals'" - we live in a more complicated environment, but if ants wanted to waste time making bricks, as has been alluded to already, then they'd live in little houses. Our 'complications' lead to all sorts of wonders like Pop Idol/American Idol, tabloid newspapers, internet forums, and so on. It certainly doesn't give us any reason to assume we have a more interesting reason to be alive than a lion, a mouse, or a duck-billed platypus.

I can hear arguments against the above already: science, music, arts, philiosophy. Balls. Science is a chimpanzee digging with a stick, music is made by every animal that makes a noise, art is Nature itself, philosophy is working out where to get food. We have much more complicated versions of all of those than other animals do - but it doesn't give us any better reason to be alive. Why is a duck-billed platypus alive? Why are there no dodos left? What, exactly, is the point of an emu? The same answers apply to humans - we are animals.

2) Why do people who think shopping malls/centres are 'cool' stay alive? Why do celebrities with no talent stay alive? Why do people who think Jesus will meet them in heaven stay alive? Why do people who wear sports clothing but never play sports stay alive? I stay alive for all they reasons they don't.
_________________________
Wealth and Hell-being,
Norton Kurtz.

Top
#440422 - 12/15/10 12:08 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
LightAngel Offline


Registered: 09/10/05
Posts: 1682
Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Thanks for that (fast) reply.

Seems that the 'God' you write about is a GameMaster in my dictionary.



He he maybe so, but you make it sound so insensitive, and that's not what I mean smile

Top
#440426 - 12/15/10 01:27 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Registered: 07/25/01
Posts: 12990
Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone
I am afraid you have completely missed the point.


No, I didn't. My objective here is merely test to the water, in case any others here have a different perspective on the matter.

I'm curious to hear more opinions and thoughts on what it means to make one's mark on the world, and how that is or isn't the same as seeking or gaining fame, fortune, notoriety, or the other things many other people in the world openly strive for.

That's all.
_________________________
"Gentlemen, the verdict is guilty, on all ten counts of first-degree stupidity. The penalty phase will now begin."--Divine, "Pink Flamingos."

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

Top
#440431 - 12/15/10 02:05 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: LightAngel]
SatAnonymous Offline


Registered: 11/27/10
Posts: 85
Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Originally Posted By: LightAngel
Originally Posted By: Anonymous1
Thanks for that (fast) reply.

Seems that the 'God' you write about is a GameMaster in my dictionary.



He he maybe so, but you make it sound so insensitive, and that's not what I mean smile


It's because I don't show my sensitive side to the 'public'. Maye that's why I seems / or sounds to be frigid or 'insensitive' sometimes.
_________________________
~ Might is Right ~

Top
#440432 - 12/15/10 02:15 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: SatAnonymous]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 12/23/06
Posts: 757
Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Why do I live?

I live because this is the only existence I acknowledge to exist.

I live because I have a philosophical viewpoint that dictates to never fail or give up for there is no excuse for neither.

I live because this life is the only life I have and I do not intend on wasting it.

I live for responsibility as number one priority.

I live to make something great of myself.

I live to lead the way by example.

I live to care for my son.

I live to get a good education.

I live to bring swift justice to those who deserve it.

I live to be good at philosophy.

I live to find answers to current unanswerable questions.

I live to find the objective truth in this reality.

I live to live comfortably and happily.

I live to indulge responsibly

And I live to accomplish my goals.

These are a few reasons why I live.
_________________________

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

Top
#440463 - 12/15/10 06:41 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: TrojZyr]
SINClair Offline


Registered: 10/06/08
Posts: 320
Loc: Europe
Don't lose focus. Lots of people who openly seek fame for no reason are not Satanists, they are herd members.
_________________________
"Wer Nichts Wagt, Kann Nichts Verlieren"

Top
#440464 - 12/15/10 07:05 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: TrojZyr]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Registered: 02/05/10
Posts: 1132
Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
How important is fame?


Quality trumps quantity in this area. Give me the admiration of one person I admire, over that of a thousand people I never met or heard of, or a million I despise.
_________________________


Top
#440465 - 12/15/10 07:39 AM Re: Why do you live? [Re: Machismo]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Registered: 03/10/05
Posts: 6999
Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
[quote=Machismo Give me the admiration of one person I admire, over that of a thousand people I never met or heard of, or a million I despise.

[/quote]


I have often said in private that I would rather be truly known by one person than have a million people know my name, but not know me. As to the whole fame or no fame thing, I'm all about being happy. Some may call it contentment. But there is something to be said about having that "Fire in the Belly". That is an experience that is invaluable.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but if one is fortunate enough to be gripped by an all consuming goal, they owe it to themself to chase it. There is no reason anyone should die with regrets. I would think this goes doubly...triply...even a hundred times more for someone who fancies themself a Satanist. This lover...yes, it is a lover...will be unique for each person. Isn't that the nature of a lover...to see a quality in a person, thing or pursuit that others cannot? For me, it was knowledge...education. I vividly remember the frustration I felt every time I walked into a particular library, filled with ancient books. I literally wanted to eat them. It was a passion, in the classic sense...a type of pain. A wanting so strong that it often kept me awake at night. How can someone NOT forsake all others when such a fever strikes? Some may chase their dragon til the end of life; but some, like myself, reach a point of resolution. Whatever irritation was the source of that itch may become satisfied. Does that mean that knowledge is no longer inportant to me? Not at all. I imagine it always will. It simply means another dragon has presented itself.

Some of us will never be satisfied until we win a particular honor. Others must live in practical obscurity for their goals to be met. Some have to walk alone. Some need to build a family. Some find fulfilment raising children. All of us will scratch our heads in disbelief at some of the others. What is the common thread is that all of us are less than alive if we do not exhaust our energies in whatever it is that we cannot live without. All of us will at times find our hearts broken...find satisfaction...be frustrated...and madly, passionately chase after our private obsession.

Happy hunting.
_________________________
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Top
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >


Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43979 Topics
406036 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements