Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#440334 - 12/14/10 01:34 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: MagdaGraham]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
My situation is even easier. My door bell is disconnected. Plus, I can't hear when someone knocks on the door. I can't count the number of times I have been told I wasn't home when I was.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#440339 - 12/14/10 01:50 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
You really brought this whole thing on yourself. It's as simple as ignoring, blocking, and/or deleting if possible.

I used to take pleasure in engaging these sort of folk, until I realized it was a total waste of time and energy. Now I just ignore them and my life is so much simpler.

Their arguments are preplanned and they'll keep going as long as you do, so just save yourself the time and trouble and don't feed the monkeys.

#440345 - 12/14/10 02:15 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: GoodMourning
"Mike: More real evidence that Jesus lived, died and rose again than Abe Lincoln ever lived."

I've heard this stupid argument so many times before. If they don't use Lincoln for the example, then they use Julius Caesar. Regardless, it's completely bogus. We have enough evidence such that for people like Lincoln and Caesar, namely multiple sources that are independent of each other, eye-witness accounts, personal artifacts, etc. We have enough that to think these people WEREN'T real would be ridiculous and beg more questions than asserting their existence does. Is it possible that Lincoln wasn't real, and that millions of people from the past 2 centuries made him up, and went through the trouble of altering every little document and photograph to make it look like we didn't have a 16th president, or a Civil War, or everything else down to the $5 bill and the Presidents presentation at Disney World? I suppose it's "possible" in the sense that anything is possible, but such a conspiracy would require exponentially more assumptions and faith than just accepting the idea of Lincoln existing.

The same can't be said of people like Jesus or Pythagoras. The fact that they each only have one biographical source, written years after they allegedly lived, filled with examples of supernatural powers, etc., puts them in a different category of scrutiny. This is especially true when you factor in how much certain people have to gain by introducing certain religious beliefs on the populace. My own research on the subject has led me to conclude that Jesus was not an actual historical figure, but rather a combination of several different figures, some real (Yeishu ha-Notzri, ben Stada, etc.) some fictional (Mithra, Prometheus, Tammuz-Osiris, etc.).

I have heard ALL the claims for alleged biographical sources for Jesus: Josephus, Pliny the Younger, Tacitus, etc., and they're all bogus. They've all turned out be accounts written from 30 to 100+ years after the alleged death of Jesus, passages that merely acknowledge the beliefs of Christians who already existed by the end of the first century CE, information taken directly from the already-circulating Gospels, or in the case of Josephus an embarrassingly bad forgery.

Of course, even if we did had credible historical existence of Jesus, that wouldn't make Christianity any less repulsive to me. My reasons for rejecting Christianity are philosophical, not historical.

Mystics are notorious for trying to use solipsism as an argument, whether it's about history, abiogenesis, cosmology, etc. "You weren't there, so my explanation is as good as any other one". I just think "Geez, I sure hope this person is never picked for jury duty!" Using solipsism to lend objective credibility to a claim is a complete contradiction.

Quote:
A question, for the sake of conversation: How do you go about handling people who attempt to witness to you?

"Witness"? Let's drop their euphemism and call it what it is: proselytizing. I handle it differently in different situations, depending on what their approach is, and what kind of a mood I'm in. If I'm in a sadistic mood, I'll tear them to intellectual shreds. Other times I may just try to send one or two really biting sarcastic remarks, then block them from contacting me however I can.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#440353 - 12/14/10 03:48 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Bill_M]
GoodMourning Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Excellent post, Reverend. In the short time that I've been visiting these forums, I have greatly enjoyed reading your responses. Thank you.

#440365 - 12/14/10 06:11 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
I know two pictures are not enough. Here are the other ones:

And you do realize how futile it is to convert a Satanist, don't you?
[A simple request and a fair warning.]

No sir, you live your life according to a fairy tale, refusing to believe historically verifiable truth. Your head is in the sand. Yes, I sought you out, hoping you would be receptive to gaining eternal life, but since you reject it, I will move on.

P.S. This Twitter conversation was supposed to be a joke, wasn't it?

#440368 - 12/14/10 06:18 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: anna]
GoodMourning Offline

A joke as in...? Did it really take place? Yes. Did I find it humorous? Yes. Much like when my grandmother told me to not get involved with the Church of Satan, as they are "dangerous people". That kind of humorous.

#440374 - 12/14/10 07:30 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
I wonder what way she thinks The Church of Satan is dangerous...?

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#440382 - 12/14/10 08:17 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LordofDarkness]
GoodMourning Offline

Oh, we talk all the time and despite what I tell her, she thinks it's a front for the "devil". She says, "The devil has a way of tricking people into worshiping him. Some people believe in him and worship him, but he can also trick you into thinking he isn't real and to worship him in other ways"... something to that effect. I think she still believes in all the Satanic panic mumbo jumbo, to be honest.

She's a nut, but I love her to death.

#440393 - 12/14/10 09:13 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Norton Kurtz Offline

Loc: UK
Oh, we talk all the time and despite what I tell her, she thinks it's a front for the "devil". She says, "The devil has a way of tricking people into worshiping him. Some people believe in him and worship him, but he can also trick you into thinking he isn't real and to worship him in other ways"... something to that effect. I think she still believes in all the Satanic panic mumbo jumbo, to be honest.

She's a nut, but I love her to death.

I wrote a story once, which I will get around to publishing some time, about how the Devil, as proclaimed in the Bible, is real, and that he has been fooling people for many years with a false religion, in order to collect their souls. For a laugh, he named the religion after some random guy he stabbed with a spear. He called it 'Christianity'.

He regrets the decision, though, as he is stuck in Hell with all these really stupid people who need to be told what to do all the time. I might send it to your new Twitter 'friend'.

#440413 - 12/14/10 10:26 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Riddles Offline

Loc: Maryland
A joke as in...? Did it really take place? Yes. Did I find it humorous? Yes. Much like when my grandmother told me to not get involved with the Church of Satan, as they are "dangerous people". That kind of humorous.

They aren't dangerous people? If CoS members aren't dangerous, they aren't doing their job (Dr. LaVey once called the CoS a "den of rattlesnakes"). Satanism is not about being an asshole, but many people who know me carefully choose their words and actions. If I'm in the mood, I'll correct people when they label Satanists as serial killers or pedophiles, but I wouldn't claim genuine Satanists aren't dangerous. Even I am more careful around Satanists than Xtians. If I err against a Xtian, I usually assume they will either forgive me or will do little more than stomp their feet.

Edited by Riddles (12/14/10 10:27 PM)
Edit Reason: Retarded grammar mistake

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

#440421 - 12/14/10 11:43 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Riddles]
GoodMourning Offline

I'm fairly certain she meant dangerous as in people who will ultimately try to kill me. Statistically, I'd say I have a better chance of being fucked to death by a polar bear than I do being murdered by a Satanist. I could be wrong. Maybe these friendly CoS members are just getting me to let my guard down so they can sacrifice me and drink my blood. laugh

Wait... there aren't any polar bears in the CoS are there? Are there?!

#440475 - 12/15/10 09:27 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Matthew Miles Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ghent, NY
That guy was funny. I have encountered the same type of person on Facebook. I conducted myself in the same manner you did and when it didn't work I just stopped bothering with him. The funniest part is that when I didn't write back they kept posting, probably hoping I would come back and fight. It was like watching someone beat their fists on a brick wall.

#440550 - 12/16/10 11:26 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
How do you go about handling people who attempt to witness to you?

They’re everywhere – invading my space wherever I go. Making assumptions that everyone looks at things they way they do – attempting to impose their beliefs upon me and even worse, my children. There are over thirty fucking churches within a three mile radius of my home. There are so many in some places you can see at least two others from the parking lot of another. Anyone who “gets the calling” can hang out a shingle on an abandoned gas station or restaurant deeming themselves an authority and beg for money. New ones crop up – and others disappear. It’s no surprise that some of the larger establishments are now sporting “For Sale” signs on their front lawns.

Those who have ventured onto my property with intentions of prosthelytizing have been met with a face to face, personal warning that if they set foot upon my property again they will be arrested for trespassing (exactly the same warning given to anyone attempting to hunt, fish, or trespass on my land without permission). I haven’t had anyone attempt this in at least two years. Apparently – the word is out that they aren’t welcome here. In public – most of the time a simple “I’m not interested” or a “No thank you” seems to suffice, but there are some weak-minded individuals who insist on sharing the word even though they’ve been told to leave me alone. When asked what church I attend, my typical response is something along the line of: “Why would I go and listen to someone who makes less money than I do tell ME how to live MY life?”. I have yet to have anyone pursue this conversation further.

Sometimes I have a hard time tolerating the herd, their assumptions, and their “in your face” mentality. Illuminated nativity scenes in front of local fire departments, decorations depicting angels and crosses put up by the town (don’t I pay taxes here too?), roadside tent ministries with individuals smacking bibles and screaming at the cars passing by, tables set up at storefronts begging for donations to help meth heads find jesus, billboards with bible quotes advertising churches, propaganda pamphlets being passed out on the street and bulk-mailed to every address in the community, having to place your hand on the bible to take an oath – the list goes on and on…

I’ve realized that the herd will continue to attempt to propagate their beliefs and will be blind to anything different than what their ministers tell them. I understand that their real reason for prosthelytizing is to stay in business. They see that I’ve been successful in life, and more than anything they see me as a potential source for income. Of course – their opinion is that I’m receiving my reward on earth and theirs is in heaven… Personally - I refuse to live my life preparing to die.

Hail Satan!

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#440565 - 12/16/10 02:52 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
A Satanist couple I know bought one of these plaques for their door:

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#440572 - 12/16/10 04:41 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
At the door, I find the stony silence and grim visage a fairly successful deterrant, particularly to the happy-clappy types. Online, I really can't be bothered and just ignore them. I don't block them, though; they're too amusing, especially when they get themselves wound up because you're not answering.

I have built a psychological wall around myself during my life, possibly as a result of various personality problems and simply not liking the majority of the human race. As such, I find myself less bothered by annoying people, although having no affinity for the herd does make lesser magic very difficult for me.

I must make myself one of those signs, though, I really like it. smile

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
44001 Topics
406140 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements