Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#440581 - 12/16/10 06:44 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: GoodMourning
A question, for the sake of conversation: How do you go about handling people who attempt to witness to you?

Stranger: "Can I talk to you about (insert religion here)?"

Warlock Tier Instinct: "Yes but I charge $200.00 dollars an hour and require a deposit of $150.00 to begin."
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#440583 - 12/16/10 06:57 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Lust]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
It actually works. In High School during one lunch break a Senior (I was a Sophomore) asked if he could tell me about his lord. He had a portable CD player and I didn't, so I joked that if he gave me his CD player he could talk to me about anything he wanted for the rest of lunch. He didn't think twice before placing it on the table. I spent the break listening to his (very stuttery) spiel and got my first CD player. I've also heard of Mormons mowing people's lawns just to give them a free Book of Mormon. No word on Jehovae but the paid listener trick may be worth a real shot.

#440587 - 12/16/10 07:25 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Delta]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
I've also heard of Mormons mowing people's lawns just to give them a free Book of Mormon.

I got two Mormon missionaries to help me move apartments a few years ago. After I bought the house, I had another pair come by and they actually offered to mow my yard... in the dark... with one of them holding a flashlight. grin
Prevention of Virtue

#440590 - 12/16/10 08:17 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LKRice]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Originally Posted By: LKRice
Quote:
I've also heard of Mormons mowing people's lawns just to give them a free Book of Mormon.

I got two Mormon missionaries to help me move apartments a few years ago. After I bought the house, I had another pair come by and they actually offered to mow my yard... in the dark... with one of them holding a flashlight. grin

Man... Those guys are getting desperate!

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#440594 - 12/16/10 08:31 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LKRice]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
It's not as materially rewarding as either of the experiences you've had, but two Mormon women (or were they JoHos? I don't remember now) came to my door one day when I was doing undergrad studies and I steered the conversation toward body modification (tattooing and body piercing in particular). They didn't have any answers to my questions, but assured me they would return with literature and a better idea. I hoped they would return as I needed information for an anthropology assignment I was writing.

True to their word, they returned with a better idea of how to answer my questions, and with material which I could use for my studies. They weren't instrusive and didn't hammer away at me with their crap, they just answered my questions, I thanked them, and they left.

Perhaps doorknockers are a little less desperate in New Zealand? I regularly have discussions of over an hour long with Mormons and JoHos and take their literature (with a spoken disclaimer that I do not wish for them to return and my taking their literature should not be seen that way) to read later. The last pair of Mormons who came to my door tried quite hard to answer my questions, though they both recognised that they couldn't. They even listened intently and were interested when I told them that Satanism is a "research interest" of mine, and asked questions of me that led me to believe they were at least taking in was was being said. They were quite surprised to find Satan is a metaphorical symbol and not a literal entity, and continued the conversation under that premise. Quite enjoyable really.

And I was pleasantly surprised to find the massive young Fijian man was quite well read which led to us discussing books like Dicken's 'A Tale of Two Cities'.

Again, I'm wondering if there is a difference between the doorknockers over in the States and those here in New Zealand?

#440604 - 12/16/10 11:13 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Original Sly]
GoodMourning Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Apparently so. In my town, I suspect that the majority of them are inbreeders...

#440669 - 12/17/10 01:26 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Matthew Miles Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ghent, NY
If you have seen the second Wrong Turn movie, the old man who fathered the original mutants said "I'm a good Christian man." I thought of that movie when I read the above post.

#440681 - 12/17/10 02:54 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Original Sly]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
It's a bit similar in Poland. The only people who go from door to door, preaching, are Jehova's Wittnesses. They do it, because their religion tells them that it is their responsibility to share the word of God. However, they are not at all intrusive, on the contrary, they are very kind. If you tell them: Thank you, I'm not interested, they smile and go away. I didn't go into any religious discussions with them, but people who did, say that they are nice, merely presenting their views and they are not persistent or aggressive.

The Mormons in Warsaw organise free English courses. My father attended such a course for some time and didn't experience any proselytizing during the lessons. Of course they have some religious meetings but they are not a part of the course and there is no pressure to attend them. They also do not discuss religious matters unless you have some questions.

And Catholic lay people do not practice preaching, it is the task of the clergy.

So I'm quite surprised at religious people's habits in the USA, especially the one of harassing people in their own homes.

#440694 - 12/17/10 05:39 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: anna]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

I was walking in Park Lazienkowski during a visit to Warsaw last May and was approached by an elderly lady and a younger man. I don't speak Polish and they didn't speak English, but I knew exactly what they wanted from the Bible and pamphlets in their hands (and the way they accosted some of the park's other visitors). I guess they must have been Jehovah's Witnesses.
Prevention of Virtue

#440701 - 12/17/10 07:36 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: anna]
Original Sly Offline

The simple act of entering a stranger's property and knocking on their door with the express purpose of converting them is, in itself, harrassment. My question was the lengths to which these proselytising loonies go to when disseminating their literature.

I don't pretend to be welcoming to doorknockers. There are times when I am in a completely ratshit mood and will lift my shirt and ask them to read the word tattooed below my navel. When they've read it, I ask them if they know what it means. Most answer in the negative. So I tell them, "'Misanthropy' means I don't like you. Leave." Those are the times when I think to myself that I should have been more polite, but lacking the energy to think first, I can be quite rude.

But it all depends on the loony. Are they polite? What are the first words out of their mouth and how are they delivered? I absolutely hate when they open with, "Have you heard the Good News...?" No, I obviously haven't.

I think I'm rambling. It would seem that, by thinking of the doorknockers, I've started rambling on like one!

#440744 - 12/18/10 05:06 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
How do you go about handling people who attempt to witness to you?

Heh, I had to ask what "witnessing" meant. Such a heathen.

Anyway, I've encountered a lot more of this since moving to rural Midwest. Usually I don't begrudge people a little lunacy. As long as they keep it to themselves. But the problem with these folks is that they want to make like a venereal disease and s p r e a d. eek

No, no, no, get off my lawn. The surgeon general says you're going to make me blind.

In that vein, witnessing (or whatever, I'm still not sure I understand the concept) probably warrants a vaccination or a PSA like any other widespread medical disaster. Some kind of CDC response. Or keep it to designated areas. It's probably as least as hazardous to one's health as second hand smoke. grin
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#440756 - 12/18/10 08:27 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Shade]
GoodMourning Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I believe the side effects include anxiety, high blood pressure, tachycardia, and nausea. Perhaps a proper evaluation by the FDA is in order... wink

#440782 - 12/18/10 01:19 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
When I was a child JoHos routinely went door to door and were quite aggressive. When you tried to close the door they would stop you. If you pushed them away, they would toss their magazines and pamphlets into your home before they door closed or leave them in mailboxes. And they would come back.

Nowadays I mostly see them on street corners holding up copies of their magazines and waiting for people to inquire. Though occasionally they will approach people with sly inquires such as "isn't it a nice day", "doesn't everyone look happy today", "isn't this a nice picture", then they launch into their sermon.

Sometimes they drop their magazines and such off to the waiting areas of offices but otherwise they are mostly unobtrusive now.

But it seems to me that they cheapen their beliefs by selling them on a street corner as though they were knockoff watches or cheap sunglasses. If your religion gives you peace then great for you. Just please keep it to yourself. I am not interested.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#440809 - 12/18/10 06:20 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Lilibeta]
Original Sly Offline

Quote:
If your religion gives you peace then great for you. Just please keep it to yourself.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if that were the case? Like Anna said, however, its a central tenet of JoHoism that they must witness. And wear those ridiculous shirt and trouser combos. Or is that the Mormons? They look like fuckin' overgrown schoolchildren.

#440812 - 12/18/10 06:38 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
..."if your not with us, you're against us"...

When/ if they throw that one at me, I simply say, "Now that you mention it..."

I live about 3/4 mile from the Southern Nazarene College. (Just South of the Bethany City limits.) I don't know what they teach the sheeple in this college, but it seems to be some sort of "holier than you" indoctrination process going on there.

A friend of mine owns a wiccan shop in Midwest City. I visit her about 3 times a year and there seems to always be someone in the shop with a bible and a sermon to preach.
She has threatened to call the OCPD if they don't leave. (Since she has asked them politely not to come back, she can charge them with "criminal trespass." (A $50 fine and night in jail waiting for court. Or $100 bond to get out immediately.)

When they come to my house, I make it a point to have my Rotty in the room and call him by name as often as possible while they are at the door. (Damien) They don't get past my door. It IS, after all, MY home, not their's, and they have no right to even be on my property.
Their spiel usually goes something like," Have you found jesus?"
Me: "Two questions. Is the guy lost, and is there a reward for his capture?"
If the fools try to keep it up, I might paraphrase a signature quote here on LttD: "I have never invented any sins, but I'm doing my best to perfect a few."
If they won't leave, I first ask them. Politely to leave the property, saying that I'm not interested. Still won't leave, I TELL them to remove themselves or I will.

I have absolutely no tolerance for ANY univited person on my property.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12158 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405738 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements