Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#440163 - 12/13/10 12:49 PM Xian Witnessing
GoodMourning Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I found this encounter to be humorous, so I thought I would share. This morning, I was alerted that I had a new follower on Twitter. Naturally, I was curious as to who this person was. Apparently this "Mike Cleveland" (http://twitter.com/mikejody) takes it upon himself to seek out non believers and attempt to convert them. I was, for the most part, civil until it proved inadequate in shooing him away. Anyway... I tried to format this for easier reading.

Me: I'm a bit confused as to why a sheep like @MikeJody is following me.
[They do say the lord is their shephard...]
Mike: Just for fun, I guess; and to see if maybe you might be open to the truth and eternal life in Jesus.
Me: I dont invest faith in fairy tale. My faith is reserved for the one true God known as Me, Myself, and I. An unholy trinity, per se.
Mike: Check and see how good of a "savior" you, yourself, and you are, when it comes time to die. Hmmm...who believes a fairy tale again?
[I didn't realize I needed saving. eek]
Me: Haha. You're humorous. You allude to an afterlife as if you have scientific evidence to support your belief in it. Carry on, sheep.
[Note: I said "afterlife", not "Jesus".]
Mike: More real evidence that Jesus lived, died and rose again than Abe Lincoln ever lived. You do believe history don't you?
[Yet he changes subjects.]
Me: Please present your evidence, as the bible is not "history". And you do realize how futile it is to convert a Satanist, don't you?
[A simple request and a fair warning.]
Mike: Evidence is in historical literature (as well as the Bible), which anyone can find easily. It's easy for God to convert a Satanist.
[Notice he doesn't actually offer any of this evidence.]
Me: If a Satanist was deceived into being converted by God, they were never a Satanist to begin with (in my opinion). I should mention that I am not a representative of the Church of Satan and anything I say is of my own views and opinions.
Mike: "A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly, the Word grew in power." Love it! Easy! Yes, I understand your saying about "once a Satanist, always a Satanist", but remember God has been converting unbelievers for years. And I would love to watch Him convert you, give you a hope and a future, and eternal life. Wow, how wonderful!
[Apparently, I have no hope or future.]
Me: How nice of you to belittle my achievements. I have "hope and a future". You don't have any idea as to what my life is like. And furthermore, I have been entirely civil with you despite your ignorance; but since you have insisted on insulting me, I say FUCK OFF, SHEEP. I will not waste my time conversing with a slave. Now... run along and spout your absurdities to someone else.
[Temper, temper.]
Mike: Interesting how you must use profanity, rather than consider rationally what I have said. I won't stoop to calling you names. Your achievements will perish in the grave with you. Jesus' achievement on the cross lasts forever, and gives REAL hope and future.
[OMGWTFBBQ?!]
Me: Rationally? What could you possibly know about rationality? You live your life according to a FAIRY TALE. And look at how you behave. You feel it necessary to seek out and harass people that do not believe the same as you. NEVER have I attempted to "convert" anyone. Believe what you want, but keep it to yourself.
[A fair request, I would think.]
Mike: Why must you argue against your own freedom and life? Talk about insanity! Wow.
[lulz]
Me: Freedom and life? Mans nature is to survive. Nothing more. You are the one denying your true carnal self. You're completely blind.
[Perhaps I could have elaborated a bit more here.]
Mike: No sir, you live your life according to a fairy tale, refusing to believe historically verifiable truth. Your head is in the sand. Yes, I sought you out, hoping you would be receptive to gaining eternal life, but since you reject it, I will move on.
[He never shared his "historically verifiable truth". frown And I was really hoping he would save my soul!]

Honestly, I was just waiting for him to say, "And all of this can be yours for only 3 easy payments of $19.95!" laugh It's one thing to have JWs and Mormons knocking on my door, but now my own little insignificant life on the interwebz? Sheesh.

A question, for the sake of conversation: How do you go about handling people who attempt to witness to you?

#440164 - 12/13/10 01:00 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
CzechMate Offline

Loc: Oregon
I would usually approach this in two ways:

If the interaction is in person, I would politely and firmly state that I'm not interested in what they have to say. Most of the time, that stops them in their tracks. Most "witnesses" to "unbelievers" usually aren't expecting to be treated with politeness.

If the interaction is online, this is the easiest way to slag them off, just don't respond. Some christians and others of a like faith, especially the newly "washed" are just looking for a faith fight. It really gets to them if you don't respond and then suddenly become all fire and brimstone, doom and gloom, "you're going to hell" type stuff. It usually doesn't take long for them to show their true colors.

These are both simply my opinions, take them for what you will.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten -- George Carlin

Everyone learns faster on fire -- Alkaline Trio

#440166 - 12/13/10 01:12 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: CzechMate]
GoodMourning Offline

Thank you for your reply! And opinions are exactly what I'm looking for. Your approach is most likely more effective than mine. I do tend to handle things a bit differently in person, however. So long as they are polite, I am as well.

I suppose my hostility toward this guy was mainly due to dealing with shit like this on a regular basis (in person). I live in a town where simply walking out of Walmart with a 12 pack will result in a "talkin' to" from some uppity Baptist.

Maybe next time I'll just block the person from the get-go.

Edit: Shit grammar.

Edited by GoodMourning (12/13/10 01:31 PM)

#440167 - 12/13/10 01:14 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Originally Posted By: GoodMourning
A question, for the sake of conversation: How do you go about handling people who attempt to witness to you?

Actually, I never really get much attention from them at all.

They keep their distance.

Mormons don't knock on the door, JWs don't bother me or even turn on my street.

Few people know what I am. Outside of those choice individuals, I keep to myself quite a bit.

I prefer that peacefulness I have and enjoy every minute of it.

Should I run into someone who tries to convert me, I would refer them to their own bible and ask them to look up Revelations 22:11.

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#440168 - 12/13/10 01:30 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LordofDarkness]
GoodMourning Offline

Lucky you. In day to day life, it's not even due to being a Satanist. I don't wear a sign on my forehead or have "HAIL SATAN" tattooed down my arms or dress like some confused goth kid; basically, I don't put myself out to there to be bothered. They don't care who you are or what you believe. They have an "if your not with us, you're against us" type attitude.

Online, however, I am much more open. It is my place to vent and ramble. The friends I stay in touch with online know exactly who I am and none of them could give a rats ass about it. I suppose that's why they're friends. smile

Originally Posted By: LordofDarkness
Should I run into someone who tries to convert me, I would refer them to their own bible and ask them to look up Revelations 22:11.

Nice! I may have to steal this one from you! wink

#440170 - 12/13/10 01:39 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Lucky you. In day to day life, it's not even due to being a Satanist. I don't wear a sign on my forehead or have "HAIL SATAN" tattooed down my arms or dress like some confused goth kid; basically, I don't put myself out to there to be bothered. They don't care who you are or what you believe. They have an "if your not with us, you're against us" type attitude.

Online, however, I am much more open. It is my place to vent and ramble. The friends I stay in touch with online know exactly who I am and none of them could give a rats ass about it. I suppose that's why they're friends. smile

That sounds like me in some ways. I would dress in goth clothes on occasion but normally, I wear Polo.

Originally Posted By: LordofDarkness

Nice! I may have to steal this one from you! wink

Sure. By all means.

This will elaborate in depth about that verse. Just scroll down until you see where it talks about the verse. It could come useful against anyone who's attempting to convert you.

It basically explains that we will do what our nature dictates regardless of what they'll say and they're wasting their time talking to us. smile

Edited by LordofDarkness (12/13/10 01:44 PM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

#440175 - 12/13/10 02:06 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Looks to me like you invited it, by wondering aloud why he was following you. You could have ignored him, blocked him, or just not have engaged past his first reply (which was an answer to the question you yourself asked).

I find the best way to not have tedious conversations like this is to not give my opinion unless I'm asked, or have some other reason to believe it's welcome. And when others try to give me their opinions when I haven't asked, I excuse myself; if they get pushy, then I tell them their opinion isn't welcome. That goes a long way.

Edited by reprobate (12/13/10 02:12 PM)

#440176 - 12/13/10 02:10 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LordofDarkness]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
I answer the door by intercom and because I am normally a calm and quiet person, I simply reply to a religiosales; “no, thank you”, then switch off.

Anything by email – delete. End.

Disappoint them by not letting them make a big deal of it.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#440177 - 12/13/10 02:29 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
This morning, I was alerted that I had a new follower on Twitter.

I didn't realize I needed saving.

grin

#440179 - 12/13/10 02:40 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: reprobate]
GoodMourning Offline

Originally Posted By: reprobate
Looks to me like you invited it, by wondering aloud why he was following you.

I suppose you are right. It did strike me as odd though. Not many people follow me to begin with; just friends, for the most part.

Originally Posted By: MagdaGraham
Disappoint them by not letting them make a big deal of it.

As simple as that may be, it's excellent advice.

And I do believe anna just summed up my entire post with TWO pictures. zombie Thanks for the input, everyone.

#440180 - 12/13/10 02:42 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: reprobate]
GoodMourning Offline

Almost forgot...

Originally Posted By: reprobate
I find the best way to not have tedious conversations like this is to not give my opinion unless I'm asked

I should slap myself for this one. Enough said.

#440188 - 12/13/10 03:19 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
@Anna: love the kitties.

OnTopic: The guy isn't seeking education. He is looking for an audience. Don't give it to him.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#440197 - 12/13/10 03:43 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Lilibeta]
GoodMourning Offline

Apparently so. After looking at his Twitter feed, I realized that he has some auto-following bot that seems to follow people who mention certain things, so that he can later harass them.

#440203 - 12/13/10 04:01 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LordofDarkness]
GoodMourning Offline

I read over through the link you posted. Interesting stuff. Apparently, my "hell" will be something along the lines of me jacking off for all eternity, but never being able to blow my load.

On second thought, I may have to rethink this whole devil worshiping thing! /sarcasm

#440204 - 12/13/10 04:16 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Apparently, my "hell" will be something along the lines of me jacking off for all eternity, but never being able to blow my load.

Here's a little something I just thought about:

If that is the case, an undesirable event also would be occupied by a desirable event. If the pleasure of jerking off is present, then it would certainly be hell if you blow your load. smile Jerking off for eternity would be therefore, a desirable event.

Apparently so. After looking at his Twitter feed, I realized that he has some auto-following bot that seems to follow people who mention certain things, so that he can later harass them.

Twitter should have an ignore button. The ignore button has never failed anyone and could be the world's next savior. wink

Edited by LordofDarkness (12/13/10 04:29 PM)

#440209 - 12/13/10 04:58 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: ]
GoodMourning Offline

Originally Posted By: Witch_Gausten
You won the argument, but you didn't gain anything.

Just sayin'.

This is true. For some crazy reason, I thought he would've given up after one or two tweets, but that was foolish on my part.

#440210 - 12/13/10 05:03 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LordofDarkness]
GoodMourning Offline

So, essentially, I'll just orgasm for all eternity. I can live with that hahaha.

And Twitter does have a block option. I suppose I should have resorted to it sooner rather than later. I still can't understand why some people are so persistent in "spreading the good word". I thought that was what churches were for. Wait, no. Those are for money laundering; I forgot. coopdevil

#440211 - 12/13/10 05:07 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
ThomasBlake Offline

Loc: Hell
I agree with a good amount of posts on here. I wouldnt give them the time of day to spew their Biblical nonsense at me. If they pursue me after I blow them off then how I react depends on how many people are present to play witness; consenquences dictate my further actions.

Its best to ignore them though in my opinion.

#440212 - 12/13/10 05:09 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Thomas Tyrannus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Bravo to the OP! If ?I were a man partial to hats I would tip mine off to you.

As long as it serves as entertainment to you, there is nothing wrong with exposing holes in the testimony of those people who are so filled with Christ's Love(tm) that they will lock horns with you - once they sense you are an enemy tribesman. They can never be perceptive enough to take a critical view of their belligerent behavior, but you are. Some of the best comedy is unintentional.

I deal with folk like that the way I deal with 99% of all folk: I totally ignore their behavior...unless I feel like having a real row of course! wink

--F. Nietzsche, Beyond Good And Evil

#440213 - 12/13/10 05:18 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
I open the front door wearing my smoking jacket and stinking of whiskey.

I casually lean against the door-frame and say:

"Oh, I say, what a fertile looking pair of creatures. Perhaps you'd like to step inside?"

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#440215 - 12/13/10 05:26 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
GoodMourning Offline

Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone
I open the front door wearing my smoking jacket and stinking of whiskey.

I casually lean against the door-frame and say:

"Oh, I say, what a fertile looking pair of creatures. Perhaps you'd like to step inside?"

You, sir, have just posted the holy grail of replies. Fucking superb. laugh

#440216 - 12/13/10 05:30 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

I'll look through the peephole, and if it is JWs at the door, i will open it enough to just poke my head out. I will then allow them to give their opening lines before saying something to this effect:

"I'd love to discuss this with you, but you see, this is a nudist household so I'll have to ask you to remove your clothes before entering."

That usually causes them to do an about-face.

#440219 - 12/13/10 05:35 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

grin
I have it on good authority that Father McFlanagan employed this very same line to great effect when assessing potential altar boys.

blush

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#440264 - 12/14/10 03:04 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Riddles Offline

Loc: Maryland
The key thing to remember is to not take these people too seriously. They're not going to convert you, and you're not going to convert them.

Also, if you take them seriously and go into genuine debate, you are only justifying the plausibility of their beliefs. A person like Richard Dawkins may say "I disagree with your beliefs", but he is also implicitly saying "I think your beliefs are worthy of serious debate". Xtianity should be mocked, not debated. Mockery is not a philosophical argument, but in the hallowed halls of philosophers, Xtians don't deserve admittance.

Sometimes I ignore them or tell them to go away, but sometimes I have fun with them. "Yes, I am a Satanist. By the way, do you have any unbaptized children?" <licks lips>

If you are going to debate them, stick with very simple answers, and make sure to insert a little bit of mockery. They should eventually become insulted when they see that common sense can refute them with very little effort. I once met a campus preacher who claimed that animals used to not be aggressive and all were purely herbivores until the fall of Adam (it's in the Bible). I responded "Crocodiles...custom built for carrot munching. And I imagine all those carnivores whose digestive systems cannot process plants must have had some serious tummy aches". He paused, likely expecting some "deeper" philosophical argument, but my argument was certainly more than sufficient. Of course, he "refuted" me by ironically appealing to "micro"-evolution. "Well, with no 'macro'-evolution, I guess we're all still waiting for that vegetarian 'missing link' croc." He quit talking with me at that point. smile

Edited by Riddles (12/14/10 03:09 AM)
Edit Reason: Grammar fix

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

#440273 - 12/14/10 04:56 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
munt Offline

Loc: Land of viscosity
I suppose if I was feeling bored and a little cheeky I would demand answers to curly questions such as:
If God was the supreme creator, who created God?
If the Universe is 8000 years old, how did a union between two people bloom into a world population of 6.8 billion within this time? (discuss compulsory incestual relationships).
If the church is so concerned about holy matrimony and sex out of wedlock, why is it that God fornicated with someone elses wife and produced a bastard who then lords over mankind?

....religion makes my head hurt....

No, tell them go away- not interested.

#440276 - 12/14/10 06:22 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
SatAnonymous Offline

Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
That reminds me the people who always come to my house and wanna sell some religious sh1t or want me to join them...

Maybe the best is if we don't care about them, except if we need something from them. Sometimes it's good to know about their 'holy plans'.

Edited by Anonymous1 (12/14/10 06:23 AM)

#440318 - 12/14/10 10:39 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Venom Offline

Loc: In the Belly of the Beast.
I simply say "No thanks" and walk on (if it is in public), or if it is online I just ignore, delete or block (whichever is most relevant).

#440322 - 12/14/10 12:01 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Next time be sure to bring up some historical facts on your end to show the inconsistencies and lack of originality in Christianity.

Remind the person trying to convert you that Christianity has stolen just about all of its symbolism and sacraments from past cultures such as the Greeks, Egyptians, etc. (The Virgin Mary and Jesus are an imitation of Isis and Horus.) You might remind them that it was the pagan Roman Emperor Constantine who legalized Christianity to maintain order and keep the empire running smoothly, hence, the Holy Roman Empire.

You can call to their attention that the "Holy" bible was revised and that those in power voted on which sections of the bible were to be deleted or included. In fact, a great book that discredits the validity of the bible is The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine. In other words, reading a comic book is just about as inherently valid for religious authority as the Christian bible.

To anger them, you can suggest from a historical point of view that Jesus was not born from immaculate conception, had siblings, and probably had children of his own with Mary Magdalene. You can also mention how great it was that he changed water into wine -- not bad for a first miracle!

Of course, this is all assuming that you're bored and are in the mood to have a little fun with them. If the holy roller is male, invite him out for a drink and take him to a strip show. If the Jesus freak is female, ask her out and give her the attention that she is desperately craving (that is, if she's pretty). In either case they will either shut up and go away, or you will be the one to convert (corrupt) them.

Hope that gives you some good ideas. cool

Edited by ColemanCollins (12/14/10 12:50 PM)

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#440324 - 12/14/10 12:15 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
It is very simple: I either walk away or make them go away. My time is precious. I don't have the luxury of wasting it.
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#440331 - 12/14/10 12:59 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Dax9]
GoodMourning Offline

I like the way you think, lol.

#440334 - 12/14/10 01:34 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: MagdaGraham]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
My situation is even easier. My door bell is disconnected. Plus, I can't hear when someone knocks on the door. I can't count the number of times I have been told I wasn't home when I was.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#440339 - 12/14/10 01:50 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
You really brought this whole thing on yourself. It's as simple as ignoring, blocking, and/or deleting if possible.

I used to take pleasure in engaging these sort of folk, until I realized it was a total waste of time and energy. Now I just ignore them and my life is so much simpler.

Their arguments are preplanned and they'll keep going as long as you do, so just save yourself the time and trouble and don't feed the monkeys.

#440345 - 12/14/10 02:15 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
"Mike: More real evidence that Jesus lived, died and rose again than Abe Lincoln ever lived."

I've heard this stupid argument so many times before. If they don't use Lincoln for the example, then they use Julius Caesar. Regardless, it's completely bogus. We have enough evidence such that for people like Lincoln and Caesar, namely multiple sources that are independent of each other, eye-witness accounts, personal artifacts, etc. We have enough that to think these people WEREN'T real would be ridiculous and beg more questions than asserting their existence does. Is it possible that Lincoln wasn't real, and that millions of people from the past 2 centuries made him up, and went through the trouble of altering every little document and photograph to make it look like we didn't have a 16th president, or a Civil War, or everything else down to the $5 bill and the Presidents presentation at Disney World? I suppose it's "possible" in the sense that anything is possible, but such a conspiracy would require exponentially more assumptions and faith than just accepting the idea of Lincoln existing.

The same can't be said of people like Jesus or Pythagoras. The fact that they each only have one biographical source, written years after they allegedly lived, filled with examples of supernatural powers, etc., puts them in a different category of scrutiny. This is especially true when you factor in how much certain people have to gain by introducing certain religious beliefs on the populace. My own research on the subject has led me to conclude that Jesus was not an actual historical figure, but rather a combination of several different figures, some real (Yeishu ha-Notzri, ben Stada, etc.) some fictional (Mithra, Prometheus, Tammuz-Osiris, etc.).

I have heard ALL the claims for alleged biographical sources for Jesus: Josephus, Pliny the Younger, Tacitus, etc., and they're all bogus. They've all turned out be accounts written from 30 to 100+ years after the alleged death of Jesus, passages that merely acknowledge the beliefs of Christians who already existed by the end of the first century CE, information taken directly from the already-circulating Gospels, or in the case of Josephus an embarrassingly bad forgery.

Of course, even if we did had credible historical existence of Jesus, that wouldn't make Christianity any less repulsive to me. My reasons for rejecting Christianity are philosophical, not historical.

Mystics are notorious for trying to use solipsism as an argument, whether it's about history, abiogenesis, cosmology, etc. "You weren't there, so my explanation is as good as any other one". I just think "Geez, I sure hope this person is never picked for jury duty!" Using solipsism to lend objective credibility to a claim is a complete contradiction.

Quote:

"Witness"? Let's drop their euphemism and call it what it is: proselytizing. I handle it differently in different situations, depending on what their approach is, and what kind of a mood I'm in. If I'm in a sadistic mood, I'll tear them to intellectual shreds. Other times I may just try to send one or two really biting sarcastic remarks, then block them from contacting me however I can.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#440353 - 12/14/10 03:48 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Bill_M]
GoodMourning Offline

Excellent post, Reverend. In the short time that I've been visiting these forums, I have greatly enjoyed reading your responses. Thank you.

#440365 - 12/14/10 06:11 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
anna Offline

I know two pictures are not enough. Here are the other ones:

And you do realize how futile it is to convert a Satanist, don't you?
[A simple request and a fair warning.]

No sir, you live your life according to a fairy tale, refusing to believe historically verifiable truth. Your head is in the sand. Yes, I sought you out, hoping you would be receptive to gaining eternal life, but since you reject it, I will move on.

P.S. This Twitter conversation was supposed to be a joke, wasn't it?

#440368 - 12/14/10 06:18 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: anna]
GoodMourning Offline

A joke as in...? Did it really take place? Yes. Did I find it humorous? Yes. Much like when my grandmother told me to not get involved with the Church of Satan, as they are "dangerous people". That kind of humorous.

#440374 - 12/14/10 07:30 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

I wonder what way she thinks The Church of Satan is dangerous...?

#440382 - 12/14/10 08:17 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LordofDarkness]
GoodMourning Offline

Oh, we talk all the time and despite what I tell her, she thinks it's a front for the "devil". She says, "The devil has a way of tricking people into worshiping him. Some people believe in him and worship him, but he can also trick you into thinking he isn't real and to worship him in other ways"... something to that effect. I think she still believes in all the Satanic panic mumbo jumbo, to be honest.

She's a nut, but I love her to death.

#440393 - 12/14/10 09:13 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Norton Kurtz Offline

Loc: UK
Oh, we talk all the time and despite what I tell her, she thinks it's a front for the "devil". She says, "The devil has a way of tricking people into worshiping him. Some people believe in him and worship him, but he can also trick you into thinking he isn't real and to worship him in other ways"... something to that effect. I think she still believes in all the Satanic panic mumbo jumbo, to be honest.

She's a nut, but I love her to death.

I wrote a story once, which I will get around to publishing some time, about how the Devil, as proclaimed in the Bible, is real, and that he has been fooling people for many years with a false religion, in order to collect their souls. For a laugh, he named the religion after some random guy he stabbed with a spear. He called it 'Christianity'.

He regrets the decision, though, as he is stuck in Hell with all these really stupid people who need to be told what to do all the time. I might send it to your new Twitter 'friend'.

#440413 - 12/14/10 10:26 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Riddles Offline

Loc: Maryland
A joke as in...? Did it really take place? Yes. Did I find it humorous? Yes. Much like when my grandmother told me to not get involved with the Church of Satan, as they are "dangerous people". That kind of humorous.

They aren't dangerous people? If CoS members aren't dangerous, they aren't doing their job (Dr. LaVey once called the CoS a "den of rattlesnakes"). Satanism is not about being an asshole, but many people who know me carefully choose their words and actions. If I'm in the mood, I'll correct people when they label Satanists as serial killers or pedophiles, but I wouldn't claim genuine Satanists aren't dangerous. Even I am more careful around Satanists than Xtians. If I err against a Xtian, I usually assume they will either forgive me or will do little more than stomp their feet.

Edited by Riddles (12/14/10 10:27 PM)
Edit Reason: Retarded grammar mistake

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

#440421 - 12/14/10 11:43 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Riddles]
GoodMourning Offline

I'm fairly certain she meant dangerous as in people who will ultimately try to kill me. Statistically, I'd say I have a better chance of being fucked to death by a polar bear than I do being murdered by a Satanist. I could be wrong. Maybe these friendly CoS members are just getting me to let my guard down so they can sacrifice me and drink my blood. laugh

Wait... there aren't any polar bears in the CoS are there? Are there?!

#440475 - 12/15/10 09:27 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Matthew Miles Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ghent, NY
That guy was funny. I have encountered the same type of person on Facebook. I conducted myself in the same manner you did and when it didn't work I just stopped bothering with him. The funniest part is that when I didn't write back they kept posting, probably hoping I would come back and fight. It was like watching someone beat their fists on a brick wall.

#440550 - 12/16/10 11:26 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
How do you go about handling people who attempt to witness to you?

They’re everywhere – invading my space wherever I go. Making assumptions that everyone looks at things they way they do – attempting to impose their beliefs upon me and even worse, my children. There are over thirty fucking churches within a three mile radius of my home. There are so many in some places you can see at least two others from the parking lot of another. Anyone who “gets the calling” can hang out a shingle on an abandoned gas station or restaurant deeming themselves an authority and beg for money. New ones crop up – and others disappear. It’s no surprise that some of the larger establishments are now sporting “For Sale” signs on their front lawns.

Those who have ventured onto my property with intentions of prosthelytizing have been met with a face to face, personal warning that if they set foot upon my property again they will be arrested for trespassing (exactly the same warning given to anyone attempting to hunt, fish, or trespass on my land without permission). I haven’t had anyone attempt this in at least two years. Apparently – the word is out that they aren’t welcome here. In public – most of the time a simple “I’m not interested” or a “No thank you” seems to suffice, but there are some weak-minded individuals who insist on sharing the word even though they’ve been told to leave me alone. When asked what church I attend, my typical response is something along the line of: “Why would I go and listen to someone who makes less money than I do tell ME how to live MY life?”. I have yet to have anyone pursue this conversation further.

Sometimes I have a hard time tolerating the herd, their assumptions, and their “in your face” mentality. Illuminated nativity scenes in front of local fire departments, decorations depicting angels and crosses put up by the town (don’t I pay taxes here too?), roadside tent ministries with individuals smacking bibles and screaming at the cars passing by, tables set up at storefronts begging for donations to help meth heads find jesus, billboards with bible quotes advertising churches, propaganda pamphlets being passed out on the street and bulk-mailed to every address in the community, having to place your hand on the bible to take an oath – the list goes on and on…

I’ve realized that the herd will continue to attempt to propagate their beliefs and will be blind to anything different than what their ministers tell them. I understand that their real reason for prosthelytizing is to stay in business. They see that I’ve been successful in life, and more than anything they see me as a potential source for income. Of course – their opinion is that I’m receiving my reward on earth and theirs is in heaven… Personally - I refuse to live my life preparing to die.

Hail Satan!

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#440565 - 12/16/10 02:52 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
A Satanist couple I know bought one of these plaques for their door:

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#440572 - 12/16/10 04:41 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
At the door, I find the stony silence and grim visage a fairly successful deterrant, particularly to the happy-clappy types. Online, I really can't be bothered and just ignore them. I don't block them, though; they're too amusing, especially when they get themselves wound up because you're not answering.

I have built a psychological wall around myself during my life, possibly as a result of various personality problems and simply not liking the majority of the human race. As such, I find myself less bothered by annoying people, although having no affinity for the herd does make lesser magic very difficult for me.

I must make myself one of those signs, though, I really like it. smile

#440581 - 12/16/10 06:44 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Lust Offline

Stranger: "Can I talk to you about (insert religion here)?"

Warlock Tier Instinct: "Yes but I charge $200.00 dollars an hour and require a deposit of $150.00 to begin."
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#440583 - 12/16/10 06:57 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Lust]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
It actually works. In High School during one lunch break a Senior (I was a Sophomore) asked if he could tell me about his lord. He had a portable CD player and I didn't, so I joked that if he gave me his CD player he could talk to me about anything he wanted for the rest of lunch. He didn't think twice before placing it on the table. I spent the break listening to his (very stuttery) spiel and got my first CD player. I've also heard of Mormons mowing people's lawns just to give them a free Book of Mormon. No word on Jehovae but the paid listener trick may be worth a real shot.

#440587 - 12/16/10 07:25 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Delta]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
I've also heard of Mormons mowing people's lawns just to give them a free Book of Mormon.

I got two Mormon missionaries to help me move apartments a few years ago. After I bought the house, I had another pair come by and they actually offered to mow my yard... in the dark... with one of them holding a flashlight. grin
Prevention of Virtue

#440590 - 12/16/10 08:17 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LKRice]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: LKRice
Quote:
I've also heard of Mormons mowing people's lawns just to give them a free Book of Mormon.

I got two Mormon missionaries to help me move apartments a few years ago. After I bought the house, I had another pair come by and they actually offered to mow my yard... in the dark... with one of them holding a flashlight. grin

Man... Those guys are getting desperate!

#440594 - 12/16/10 08:31 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: LKRice]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
It's not as materially rewarding as either of the experiences you've had, but two Mormon women (or were they JoHos? I don't remember now) came to my door one day when I was doing undergrad studies and I steered the conversation toward body modification (tattooing and body piercing in particular). They didn't have any answers to my questions, but assured me they would return with literature and a better idea. I hoped they would return as I needed information for an anthropology assignment I was writing.

True to their word, they returned with a better idea of how to answer my questions, and with material which I could use for my studies. They weren't instrusive and didn't hammer away at me with their crap, they just answered my questions, I thanked them, and they left.

Perhaps doorknockers are a little less desperate in New Zealand? I regularly have discussions of over an hour long with Mormons and JoHos and take their literature (with a spoken disclaimer that I do not wish for them to return and my taking their literature should not be seen that way) to read later. The last pair of Mormons who came to my door tried quite hard to answer my questions, though they both recognised that they couldn't. They even listened intently and were interested when I told them that Satanism is a "research interest" of mine, and asked questions of me that led me to believe they were at least taking in was was being said. They were quite surprised to find Satan is a metaphorical symbol and not a literal entity, and continued the conversation under that premise. Quite enjoyable really.

And I was pleasantly surprised to find the massive young Fijian man was quite well read which led to us discussing books like Dicken's 'A Tale of Two Cities'.

Again, I'm wondering if there is a difference between the doorknockers over in the States and those here in New Zealand?

#440604 - 12/16/10 11:13 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Original Sly]
GoodMourning Offline

Apparently so. In my town, I suspect that the majority of them are inbreeders...

#440669 - 12/17/10 01:26 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Matthew Miles Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ghent, NY
If you have seen the second Wrong Turn movie, the old man who fathered the original mutants said "I'm a good Christian man." I thought of that movie when I read the above post.

#440681 - 12/17/10 02:54 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Original Sly]
anna Offline

It's a bit similar in Poland. The only people who go from door to door, preaching, are Jehova's Wittnesses. They do it, because their religion tells them that it is their responsibility to share the word of God. However, they are not at all intrusive, on the contrary, they are very kind. If you tell them: Thank you, I'm not interested, they smile and go away. I didn't go into any religious discussions with them, but people who did, say that they are nice, merely presenting their views and they are not persistent or aggressive.

The Mormons in Warsaw organise free English courses. My father attended such a course for some time and didn't experience any proselytizing during the lessons. Of course they have some religious meetings but they are not a part of the course and there is no pressure to attend them. They also do not discuss religious matters unless you have some questions.

And Catholic lay people do not practice preaching, it is the task of the clergy.

So I'm quite surprised at religious people's habits in the USA, especially the one of harassing people in their own homes.

#440694 - 12/17/10 05:39 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: anna]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

I was walking in Park Lazienkowski during a visit to Warsaw last May and was approached by an elderly lady and a younger man. I don't speak Polish and they didn't speak English, but I knew exactly what they wanted from the Bible and pamphlets in their hands (and the way they accosted some of the park's other visitors). I guess they must have been Jehovah's Witnesses.
Prevention of Virtue

#440701 - 12/17/10 07:36 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: anna]
Original Sly Offline

The simple act of entering a stranger's property and knocking on their door with the express purpose of converting them is, in itself, harrassment. My question was the lengths to which these proselytising loonies go to when disseminating their literature.

I don't pretend to be welcoming to doorknockers. There are times when I am in a completely ratshit mood and will lift my shirt and ask them to read the word tattooed below my navel. When they've read it, I ask them if they know what it means. Most answer in the negative. So I tell them, "'Misanthropy' means I don't like you. Leave." Those are the times when I think to myself that I should have been more polite, but lacking the energy to think first, I can be quite rude.

But it all depends on the loony. Are they polite? What are the first words out of their mouth and how are they delivered? I absolutely hate when they open with, "Have you heard the Good News...?" No, I obviously haven't.

I think I'm rambling. It would seem that, by thinking of the doorknockers, I've started rambling on like one!

#440744 - 12/18/10 05:06 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
How do you go about handling people who attempt to witness to you?

Heh, I had to ask what "witnessing" meant. Such a heathen.

Anyway, I've encountered a lot more of this since moving to rural Midwest. Usually I don't begrudge people a little lunacy. As long as they keep it to themselves. But the problem with these folks is that they want to make like a venereal disease and s p r e a d. eek

No, no, no, get off my lawn. The surgeon general says you're going to make me blind.

In that vein, witnessing (or whatever, I'm still not sure I understand the concept) probably warrants a vaccination or a PSA like any other widespread medical disaster. Some kind of CDC response. Or keep it to designated areas. It's probably as least as hazardous to one's health as second hand smoke. grin
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#440756 - 12/18/10 08:27 AM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Shade]
GoodMourning Offline

I believe the side effects include anxiety, high blood pressure, tachycardia, and nausea. Perhaps a proper evaluation by the FDA is in order... wink

#440782 - 12/18/10 01:19 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
Lilibeta Offline

When I was a child JoHos routinely went door to door and were quite aggressive. When you tried to close the door they would stop you. If you pushed them away, they would toss their magazines and pamphlets into your home before they door closed or leave them in mailboxes. And they would come back.

Nowadays I mostly see them on street corners holding up copies of their magazines and waiting for people to inquire. Though occasionally they will approach people with sly inquires such as "isn't it a nice day", "doesn't everyone look happy today", "isn't this a nice picture", then they launch into their sermon.

Sometimes they drop their magazines and such off to the waiting areas of offices but otherwise they are mostly unobtrusive now.

But it seems to me that they cheapen their beliefs by selling them on a street corner as though they were knockoff watches or cheap sunglasses. If your religion gives you peace then great for you. Just please keep it to yourself. I am not interested.

#440809 - 12/18/10 06:20 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Lilibeta]
Original Sly Offline

Quote:
If your religion gives you peace then great for you. Just please keep it to yourself.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if that were the case? Like Anna said, however, its a central tenet of JoHoism that they must witness. And wear those ridiculous shirt and trouser combos. Or is that the Mormons? They look like fuckin' overgrown schoolchildren.

#440812 - 12/18/10 06:38 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: GoodMourning]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
..."if your not with us, you're against us"...

When/ if they throw that one at me, I simply say, "Now that you mention it..."

I live about 3/4 mile from the Southern Nazarene College. (Just South of the Bethany City limits.) I don't know what they teach the sheeple in this college, but it seems to be some sort of "holier than you" indoctrination process going on there.

A friend of mine owns a wiccan shop in Midwest City. I visit her about 3 times a year and there seems to always be someone in the shop with a bible and a sermon to preach.
She has threatened to call the OCPD if they don't leave. (Since she has asked them politely not to come back, she can charge them with "criminal trespass." (A $50 fine and night in jail waiting for court. Or $100 bond to get out immediately.)

When they come to my house, I make it a point to have my Rotty in the room and call him by name as often as possible while they are at the door. (Damien) They don't get past my door. It IS, after all, MY home, not their's, and they have no right to even be on my property.
Their spiel usually goes something like," Have you found jesus?"
Me: "Two questions. Is the guy lost, and is there a reward for his capture?"
If the fools try to keep it up, I might paraphrase a signature quote here on LttD: "I have never invented any sins, but I'm doing my best to perfect a few."
If they won't leave, I first ask them. Politely to leave the property, saying that I'm not interested. Still won't leave, I TELL them to remove themselves or I will.

I have absolutely no tolerance for ANY univited person on my property.

#440813 - 12/18/10 06:43 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Original Sly]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Mormons here are always in navy blue suits with name-tags. I was very surprised to see the appearance of the British variety in "Millions". Given the difference between Mormanus Amricanus and the Mormanus Liverpudlias I wouldn't be surprised if the plumage varied significantly for every region. Gotta go look for pics of Mormanus Apterygidae now...

(Bit of confusion, that movie took place in Widnes but I thought the plot was about the shift to Euros? Did Widnes move to Ireland or did England switch while I wasn't looking?)

#440896 - 12/19/10 04:01 PM Re: Xian Witnessing [Re: Original Sly]
Lilibeta Offline

Originally Posted By: Original Sly
Quote:
If your religion gives you peace then great for you. Just please keep it to yourself.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if that were the case? Like Anna said, however, its a central tenet of JoHoism that they must witness.

I was actually referring to all those who feel the need to 'spread their word', not just JoHo's. And as I said, from my personal experiences they are much less intrusive than they used to be. Which is more than I can say about the Scientolgists. I know nothing about their beliefs but anytime that I have interacted with are positively obnoxious!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405804 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements