Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#442148 - 01/04/11 08:23 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: anna]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: anna
The Descent is amazing. It has this unique atmosphere although the ending could be a bit more optimistic. The caves are quite frightening. I think the film is an allegory of the descent into the unconscious inhabited by some of our dangerous, underdeveloped and wild instincts. However, it is only my opinion.

I think that is a decent assertion. However, I also feel that an ending which was any more optimistic would have slighted the very meaning of the film as you perceieved it. They drove the point home like a nail in the head; not only that this woman's descent into primal madness became a reality, but it is also heavily alluded that this very same thing happened long before she ever got there, and that it is likely to happen again.

As far as comments about the creatures not being as creepy as one would have liked, I felt that they were creepy because they were not "creatures" at all. They were human beings who he had been trapped long, and who had degraded into that state. Or at the very least, they were some off shoot of human that managed to survive the rest of civilization. I thought they were well done, and they were exactly what I wanted to see in "I Am Legend" rather than the horrid cg abominations they relied so heavily upon; which completely ravaged that movie for me by the third act, and which I will probably never watch again because of it.

#442149 - 01/04/11 08:33 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: TheDegenerate]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: TheDegenerate
As far as comments about the creatures not being as creepy as one would have liked, I felt that they were creepy because they were not "creatures" at all. They were human beings who he had been trapped long, and who had degraded into that state. Or at the very least, they were some off shoot of human that managed to survive the rest of civilization. I thought they were well done, and they were exactly what I wanted to see in "I Am Legend" rather than the horrid cg abominations they relied so heavily upon; which completely ravaged that movie for me by the third act, and which I will probably never watch again because of it.

Yes, you are right.

Funny thing is I got the two mixed up in my memory. I Am Legend was indeed very disappointing. Well, we have MIB 3D to look forward to.

No, I am not shitting you.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#442156 - 01/04/11 09:38 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Lilibeta]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Ze french fries really really reeeeeeeeeeeeally know how to do scary-unnerving horror! A few of my favorites: Them, Frontier(s), Inside, High Tension. I haven't seen Irreversible but will now.

And [in no particular order] France also gave the world the Awesomeness that is Jean Pierre Jeunet (City of Lost Children, Micmacs, Delicatessen, Alien 4 and Amelie), Jean Cocteau, Jean Reno and Catherine Deneuve.

Vive le France!
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#442163 - 01/04/11 10:35 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Lust Offline

The Amityville Horror (1979) successfully freaked me out when I first watched it. Few movies have scared me but The Amityville Horror stuck with me for a long time after I first watched it.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#442169 - 01/04/11 11:54 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Shade, don't know if you saw it or not, but the French movie Martyrs is excellent. As I said, Inside is fantastic, and Frontier(s) isn't too shabby either.

#442170 - 01/04/11 11:55 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Lilibeta]
Derby Offline

@Lilibeta: Yes, The Human Centipede is very much worth the watch. The pacing is perfect. The movie was stressful and dreadful, in the best sense. Tell me how you liked it!

#442171 - 01/05/11 12:23 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Another movie that made me sick was Uwe Boll's Seed. The beginning of the film features actual footage of sever animal abuse and torture, which, if I recall correctly, wes provided by PETA. I had to turn the film off that first time. The second time I watched it, I fast forwarded past the animal torture. uwe Boll is regarded as a failure of a director, and I agree. There is one part of Seed, however, that I enjoyed, and involved a hammer.

Cannibal Holocaust is another movie I despise because of the deaths of actual animals in the film, which was done to give the movie more "realism".

I do not condone any movie that actually kills animals on camera. They are ugly, despicable, and are in all around bad taste. But that is just my opinion.

#442187 - 01/05/11 05:03 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

OoooOOOOoooo, no I haven't seen that one! Looks great (in that religious-psycho-disturbing kind of way) -- I've just added it to my "to watch" pile.

Thanks! jack
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

#442188 - 01/05/11 05:12 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Shade

Vive le France!

The Frenchies would frown at this. It's supposed to be LA France.

Other than that, I agree with you. Worth mentioning by Jeunet is also the awesome WW1 period-film "A Very Long Engagement" - unfairly criticized (in my opinion) because it had Audrey Tatou cast in another "Amelie" like role.

Another memorable/recommended movie which uses some tricks of the trade from the horror genre but which can't properly be called "horror" is Lars von Trier's "Antichrist". To the extent that it can be typified, I'd say it's a psychological drama -- but it kind of defies description, containing some of the most beautiful as well as some of the most horrific imagery imaginable.

#442189 - 01/05/11 07:00 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: SomethingLikEvil
Shade, don't know if you saw it or not, but the French movie Martyrs is excellent. As I said, Inside is fantastic, and Frontier(s) isn't too shabby either.

I forgot about these. The French are generally NOT known for their horror movies; but, when they do them, they seem to get it right.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#442196 - 01/05/11 08:48 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: XUL]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: XUL
The Frenchies would frown at this. It's supposed to be LA France.

Huuuwhoops! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I wouldn't want to offend the french fries. wink grin

Open question to all who mentioned it: Has anyone seen Descent 2? I can't really decide if I liked it or if I just like listening to Shauna Macdonald.

Some folks have mentioned not being able to watch movie parts that tickle their phobias. There are definitely some movies I can only sit through once because of extreme discomfort. They are more an act of endurance than entertainment (although I am glad I saw them unlike some other regrettables).

Philosophy of a Knife and Deadgirl (the 2008 horror film not the other one) are two Intensely Disturbing, stain-your-skin types that immediately come to mind. First is incredible, the second not so much but I'm still glad I saw it.

#442200 - 01/05/11 10:14 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Waya]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Damn! Telly Savalas with a bit of hair, and a cigarette instead of a Tootsie Pop!

Twilight Zone did have some disturbing episodes.

#442251 - 01/06/11 01:16 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
DarkHill Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
For me, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Blair Witch Project are a spine chilling horror.

#442255 - 01/06/11 06:15 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: DarkHill]
thorn9 Offline

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of the best. The original of course not the silly remake.

I reaaly do not find these movies scary as they are just movies. But I do love to watch various types of Horror movies.

Another favorite of mine is the Exorcist 3. I love that one even more than the original myself.

#442304 - 01/06/11 10:48 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

The scariest horror movie to me would probably be Sleepaway Camp just for the ending alone. I had nightmares for about a week after watching that shit. Real talk!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12220 Members
73 Forums
44002 Topics
406143 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements