Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#442528 - 01/10/11 08:54 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I wrote a paper for a horror film class that applied ritual theories to horror films. It was a class open to all non-film students, and the assignment was to view the topic through your own field of study. Makes for some interesting papers - I wish I could have read some of them.

My thesis was that horror films are small rites of inversion, wherein we expose ourselves to fears and indulge in the uncanny exactly so that when we return to "normal" life we are reassured of our safety. It reaffirms our general well-being and place in the world. It is not the content of the film that is the climax, but instead the re-submergence into our mundane routine.

I got an A. wink

#442544 - 01/10/11 02:10 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Chris_B Offline

I've only seen it once but Let's Scare Jessica To Death is one of my all time favorites.

Chris

#442581 - 01/11/11 08:28 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Zaftig]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Zaftig
My thesis was that horror films are small rites of inversion, wherein we expose ourselves to fears and indulge in the uncanny exactly so that when we return to "normal" life we are reassured of our safety.

This might interest you then...

#442583 - 01/11/11 09:17 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Let's see... For me, the scariest movies are the thriller types that make you jump in your seat.

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#442664 - 01/12/11 02:19 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
XUL Offline

Not "scary" per se... but I do think everyone, at least once, should see the 1979 remake of Kenneth Anger's 1950 short film ("something in the night gave me a fright") Rabbit's Moon:

#442694 - 01/13/11 05:10 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Zaftig]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I'd give a left arm to read your paper! This is lighting up my cawfee-addled brain like a Christmas tree this morning. grin

Originally Posted By: Zaftig
It is not the content of the film that is the climax, but instead the re-submergence into our mundane routine.

Yes. This.

I think I had a vague understanding of part of this but have never been able to pinpoint, to put in thoughts or words, this one ginormous detail -- that the click comes not during but after, when worlds collide. I knew/know something is going on, I can feel it, that post-movie-watching daze when wheels turn and things are being processed on some level. It's similar to the quasi-mourning, lost feeling I get after finishing a good book. I can never immediately start in on something new. Have to digest.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#442812 - 01/15/11 06:33 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It's so nice to hear that someone remembers Legend of Hell House and Let's Scare Jessica to Death (I hated it when the mole was killed) besides me. They were two of my favourites as a child and I still have a VHS copy of Hell House somewhere.

I watched The Human Centipede. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't list it as a great movie. Worth the watch though but I am easily amused. :-b

When I was in college, I had a pretty eclectic course load including Children's Literature and Horror Literature. I was astounded to discover that the two actually overlapped. In Children's Literature we covered fairy tales, REAL fairy tales, not the whitewashed cartoons that Disney pumps out. They were creepy because fairy tales weren't happy stories to tell your kids at bedtime. They were stories intended to scare the crap out of kids so that they would behave. Those are some horror movies that I would like to see made.

In Horror Literature we discussed many reasons for why we like such books and movies such (as noted by Zaftig) reinforces our belief in our own safety, a belief in god, allows us to live out perverse fantasies in a safe environment and my personal favourite, they enable us to feel superior in ourselves. How many of us haven't watched a horror movies and railed at the characters for being stupid and not escaping when they had a chance? In the end we come away saying "that could never happen to me, let's go have coffee and pie."

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#442814 - 01/15/11 07:25 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Lilibeta]
DryghtenShahara Offline
CoS Member

Loc: UR
I first discovered The Legend of Hellhouse about 15 years ago. From that moment on, it has been among my favorite films of any genre. There are not many movies that are successful at developing and maintaining such a dark feel.

Another classic I enjoy is The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism. This is a must for fans of Christopher Lee and Hammer Films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0LHoHRtNLY

Dryghten Shahara

#442840 - 01/16/11 09:39 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
Lust Offline

I understand and where modern movie makers do fail in my opinion is being able to combine the gore with the dread. Most supply ample amounts of one more so than the other. This can get tiresome and in most cases causes me to seek a good comedy or action film rather the same ol same ol. For example - I liked Train more than I did Midnight Meat Train because Train delivered the dread and the gore where MMT was a gorefest with a waiting but simple twist. To each their own though and it is hard to beat a film like Martyrs.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#442849 - 01/16/11 01:41 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
I would agree with you, Tier Instinct, as I love films that have both gore and dread, too. I'm often left feeling disappointed when, after all the psychological buildup, the viewer doesn't get to see anything gory or truly sickening; it leaves me feeling deflated. On the other hand, I quite enjoy gorefests, but almost on a comedy level as they're usually so very daft and often badly acted. Not true of all gorefest films, but certainly some.

Does anyone else watch horror for its comedy value?

#442879 - 01/17/11 09:27 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Furrtiv]
XUL Offline

Originally Posted By: Furrtiv
Does anyone else watch horror for its comedy value?

Oh, absolutely!

In fact, just the other day, I watched a movie (that is available for free on the inmoo site) called "The Tripper" - which titles itself comedy but has all the trappings of slasher horror (and a quite amusing "Ronald Reagan" as the villain).

#442886 - 01/17/11 01:19 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
I must admit, I like the inadvertant comedy prevalent in horror, much to the general disgust of other cinema-goers, but I also love horror-comedy. A couple of my favourites are Brain Dead and Bad Taste.

I saw Basket Case a few years ago at a grindhouse night at a local arts cinema, the whole audience, myself included, was howling with laughter!:D

#442887 - 01/17/11 02:05 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Furrtiv]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
I think that real horror-comedy must be extremely difficult to create, juggling the contrasts. My favourite in this genre is Love At First Bite. Whilst adhering more-or-less faithfully to the legend of the vampire’s powers and limitations, it puts the Count in the 20th century. Expelled from his Transylvanian castle by a female commissar, he and his servant Renfield travel to New York, where he is attracted to an eccentric model, whose boyfriend is the descendant of van Helsing.

Please don’t read the Wikipedia item before you see the film, otherwise it will spoil that wonderful ending.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#442894 - 01/17/11 04:01 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: MagdaGraham]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
My favorite all time horror-comedy is Roger Corman's “The Little Shop of Horrors” (1960) It’s a wonderfully silly and dark film and since it is in the public domain now, you can watch the entire thing right here:

Edited by John Prophet (01/17/11 04:06 PM)

#442896 - 01/17/11 04:09 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
munt Offline

Loc: Land of viscosity
When I was younger, I saw Andy Warhols' Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula, quite shocking at the time..

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12017 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements