Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#442899 - 01/17/11 05:56 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: John Prophet]
Lust Offline

Fun movie pick. For horror comedy, my pick is the Feast Trilogy. Henry Rollins is always good for a laugh or two.

�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#442900 - 01/17/11 07:08 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Lust]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
That was great!

Somehow I was unaware of these Feast films. I did see a couple of the episodes of Project Greenlight where they began making the first film, but I never realized that anything good (especially that good) came of it. Based on what little I had seen of the series, I assumed that the movie was going to be horrible, if it was completed at all.

Thank you for alerting me to this.

#442903 - 01/17/11 09:46 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: John Prophet]
Lust Offline

You're welcome and FYI, part Two picks up where the first finishes. As does part three. The trilogy plays like one full movie! Enjoy.

*I watched after viewing the site for Dimension Extreme:

http://www.dimensionextreme.com/films.php?page=1

Edited by Tier Instinct (01/17/11 09:51 PM)
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#442956 - 01/19/11 04:54 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Waya]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Here we are starting to see all of the very first episodes of twilight zone, they are very good actually. - And you can see that many films are inspired by them!

#442957 - 01/19/11 05:03 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
I apologize for barging into the thread to ask a favor, but I have a question for anyone who can answer: On Sci-Fi Channel back in the 90's they aired a commercial for Dark Shadows or Tales from the Dark Side or Night Gallery in which a woman served a kid dinner and he refuses to eat it. She asks "What's the matter, you don't like meat?" and he replies, "No I just don't like the things on it" and we see the plate is covered in maggots. I can't find this quote online nor any reference to the scene. Does anyone know what show or episode that's from? This has been bothering me for about 15 years now.

#442995 - 01/19/11 05:56 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Storm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: West Valley, UT, USA
I think most of my favorites have been listed. Anymore, it just doesn't seem that film makers can conceive of anything truly original and spine chilling.... although I keep my necro fingers crossed.

Among those that stand out in my mind are:
The Exorcist
Poltergeist
Something Wicked This Way Comes (maybe it's the boyhood memory I have of it and watching now may be different, but I recall this Ray Bradbury adaptation as giving me shivers)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre II

Classic films like Nosferatu, Freaks, and Faust (am I thinking of the correct film with the devils drumming away with the eerie music accompaniment?) are somehow just inherently creepy.

More recent films that I think have come close to prompting that night light being on for purposes other than late night bathroom finding:
The Ring
Saw

"When Hell is Full of Souls, The Tattooed Will Walk the Earth."
~Bob Tyrrell, The Night Gallery Tattoo

Facebook: facebook.com/artonyoustudios

#443307 - 01/24/11 01:02 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
AlphaState Offline

Loc: on the move
I recently watched A Serbian Film. Very, very tense, frightening and disturbing. NOT for the weak stomached that's for sure.

HS!

#443309 - 01/24/11 01:23 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
skullunit Offline

Loc: "heavens waiting room"
So many of my favorites have already been mentioned including Fourth Kind which I found a bit scary especially if I suddenly awaken a few nights in a row around the same time for no apparent reason. smile

#443311 - 01/24/11 01:32 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Chris_B]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Chris_B
I've only seen it once but Let's Scare Jessica To Death is one of my all time favorites.

Chris

A fine choice!

There is so much to that movie that the only way to do it justice is to suggest to people that they watch it for themselves. I found the water/swimming scene particularly chilling.

As for 'scary', I'll echo the sentiments of some before me. I don't really get scared at movies, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good spooky flick (it's my favorite genre).

I tend to go for movies that are strange and psychologically unsettling over those with axe wielding maniacs.

One of my favorites, though, is an odd combination of both. Before Francis Ford Coppola was a household name, he wrote and directed Dementia 13. It's a really strange flick, part mystery, part psycho plot and part axe wielding menace. Maybe not technically the best thing ever committed to celluloid, but it worked for me.

To the thread, I'll submit a short representative list of what *I* like:

Classic Films (- mid 1970's)

Anyway, just a random list of horror films that come immediately to mind that I really liked.

Oh, just remembered Session 9 as well, that one is super creepy and atmospheric (even if you don't like David Caruso).

EDIT:

Of course, I should have included Polanski's trifecta about the fear(s) of living in cramped/close quarters with other people (strangers).

Ok, I could become a real pain in the ass on this thread so I'll stop now.

Edited by Fnord (01/24/11 01:47 PM)

#443321 - 01/24/11 03:05 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: skullunit]
AlphaState Offline

Loc: on the move
Originally Posted By: skullunit
So many of my favorites have already been mentioned including Fourth Kind which I found a bit scary especially if I suddenly awaken a few nights in a row around the same time for no apparent reason. smile

I agree about the Fourth Kind! I wasn't expecting much at all but was very pleasantly surprised by the film.

HS!

#443346 - 01/24/11 10:23 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Fnord]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Hello... Doc. coopdevil

I like your list. I think you, Prophet and I should get together for movie night. grin

Dementia 13 struck some kind of chord for me too. I couldn't tell you what or why exactly -- Luana Anders, creepy music, Luana Anders, haunted castles, and did I mention Luana Anders -- but I can't count how many times I've "been in the mood" to watch just this movie. It's some kind of Something. It's a Something I'd file in the Atmosphere folder but wouldn't have a clue how to define.

I think most, if not all, of the movies you've listed are atmosphere-strong and that's the secret ingredient that lodges these stories under the skin.

"Atmosphere is the all-important thing, for the final criterion of authenticity is not the dovetailing of a plot but the creation of a given sensation." ~ Lovecraft

P.S. If anything can overshadow the carbuncle that is David Caruso it is Danvers. And I guess Session 9 has become a historical document now. frown
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#443360 - 01/25/11 03:12 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Shade
I think you, Prophet and I should get together for movie night. grin

Whos bringing the popcorn? grin

"Atmosphere is the all-important thing, for the final criterion of authenticity is not the dovetailing of a plot but the creation of a given sensation." ~ Lovecraft

Thats a great Lovecraft quote, I dont remember seeing that one before. Is that from Supernatural Horror in Literature?

#443371 - 01/25/11 08:38 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: John Prophet]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: John Prophet
Whos bringing the popcorn? grin

Me, me! I have an extremely yummy recipe for maple-spiced kettle corn filed away. Or whatever. I may be so hopped up on sugar and caffeine that my eyeballs twitch and I can't feel my legs but I consider stuffing my face with butter-drenched popcorn and slurping down a super-duper extra large cherry slurpee to just be proper horror movie watching protocol. grin

Anyway, I sized you as having similar movie tastes awhile back after I really enjoyed The Night Flier (which I seriously only got because you mentioned it here somewhere). I've added Legend of Boggy Creek to the queue, too -- been on kind of a 70's/early 80's kick lately. Most recent being The Silent Scream with Barbara Steele. A lady who may very well be atmosphere personified.

Originally Posted By: Prophet
Is that from Supernatural Horror in Literature?

It is! Suspect you've already read it but it's available online for anyone else who's interested. jack
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#443374 - 01/25/11 09:03 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Most recent being The Silent Scream with Barbara Steele. A lady who may very well be atmosphere personified.

Hiya!

Congrats on your upgrade WitchShade!

I was going to comment to your post before this one and suggest that we add The Silent Scream to the movie night que (great minds, or at least similar ones smile ). It's a little past season but Margot Kidder in Black Christmas circa 1974 would be a good one too. That voice on the phone... very creepy.

A few more adds:

Also, I'd probably have to list Exorcist III: Legion as the best and most under appreciated title in The Exorcist collective. Watch that one in the dark, WITH headphones, as there's a LOT of subtle sound running underneath the screen action. There should be a notice on the box that one of the main characters in the film is the sound. The ending is way corny for my taste but Brad Dourif is excellent as is George C. Scott (as Kinderman). Highly recommended!

More later duty calls.

Oh, for something new and yet completely watchable don't miss House of the Devil. The plot's been done but it excels in both creepy and atmospheric. Tom Noonan is brilliant in this one.

Edited by Fnord (01/25/11 09:23 AM)

#443382 - 01/25/11 11:01 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

I may be so hopped up on sugar and caffeine that my eyeballs twitch and I can't feel my legs but I consider stuffing my face with butter-drenched popcorn and slurping down a super-duper extra large cherry slurpee to just be proper horror movie watching protocol. grin

Yes! In regards to the slurpee, you should know that I consider myself a huge fan of those types of frozen/slush-based beverages. grin

Anyway, I sized you as having similar movie tastes awhile back after I really enjoyed The Night Flier (which I seriously only got because you mentioned it here somewhere).

Im glad that you liked that. I remember suggesting it in a thread about vampire movies here at one point, but I honestly didnt think that anyone was paying attention. I think it is a very enjoyable and underrated film.

I should warn you that my comments about how scary I found Boggy Creek, should be taken in the context that I was nine when I first saw it. Compared to many horror films today, Im sure that there are many things that people will find a very corny about it. However, thats not to say that theres nothing that you might find enjoyable about it. In some ways it was somewhat groundbreaking at the time that it was made and it started several long lasting b-movie trends. Its definitely considered a cult classic.

I dont know if youre familiar with The Town that Dreaded Sundown, a film inspired by the real-life Texarkana Moonlight Murders. If youve seen it, it has a similar atmospheric feel to The Legend of Boggy Creek and both films were directed by the same person.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12196 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406002 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements