Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#443385 - 01/25/11 12:08 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: John Prophet]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: John Prophet

I should warn you that my comments about how scary I found Boggy Creek, should be taken in the context that I was nine when I first saw it.

Hello John Prophet, long time no... type smile

I saw Boggy Creek when I was a lad too. It caused me many moments of sheer terror whenever I had to walk through the woods by myself. I'm not sure how it has stood the test of time... haven't watched it in a long time.

Originally Posted By: John Prophet
I don’t know if you’re familiar with “The Town that Dreaded Sundown”, a film inspired by the real-life Texarkana Moonlight Murders.

Love that one too. More recently I watched The Strangers and was immediately reminded of the baghead in The Town that Dreaded Sundown. Of course, there are two female assailants and one lead male assailant which also reminded me strongly of the Tate LaBianca murders. Anyway, new recycles old.

I loved Night Flier too. I always thought King could have worked it into a series of some kind. I'm not sure if "Popsy" from Nightmares & Dreamscapes is the same vampire as the Night Flier but it'd be kind of cool if he was.

By the way, for a decent Bigfoot documentary to accompany any Boggy Creek viewing, try Bigfoot Lives!

Interesting stuff!

#443391 - 01/25/11 01:29 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Fnord]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Fnord
Hello John Prophet, long time no... type smile

Hello! smile

More recently I watched The Strangers and was immediately reminded of the baghead in The Town that Dreaded Sundown.

Yes, the same with me. And of course Jason in the second Friday the 13th movie (which was made several years after The Town that Dreaded Sundown) is also a bit reminiscent of the killer in that. And if I’m not mistaken, I believe that “The Strangers” was partially inspired by the Tate/LaBianca murders. New recycles old, indeed!

I loved Night Flier too. I always thought King could have worked it into a series of some kind. I'm not sure if "Popsy" from Nightmares & Dreamscapes is the same vampire as the Night Flier but it'd be kind of cool if he was.

As a matter of fact, I thought that I had read somewhere that King once suggested that "Popsy" may have been the same vampire from The Night Flier; so that may very well be the case. On a side note, something about the story "Popsy", struck me as being very Satanic.

Thank you for the recommendation about the Bigfoot documentary. When I was in high school I was very heavy into the topic of cryptozoology and still have quite an extensive library on the subject, but in more recent years I haven’t kept up with it.

Edited by John Prophet (01/25/11 01:45 PM)

#443432 - 01/25/11 08:40 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I remember when I was a kid and watching the black&white version of THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and being scared shitless.

#443438 - 01/25/11 09:15 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
DarkHill Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Talking about horror movies... i don't know whether you too like it or not... i'd like to mention Prince of Darkness and John Carpenter's In the Mouth of the Madness. These two movies really give me the creeps.

#443454 - 01/25/11 11:10 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: DarkHill]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: DarkHill
i'd like to mention Prince of Darkness and John Carpenter's In the Mouth of the Madness. These two movies really give me the creeps.

Those two films, along with “The Thing”, make up John Carpenter’s “Apocalypse Trilogy”.

"In the Mouth of Madness" is definitely one of my most favorite movies of any genre and its opening and closing scenes actually served as a major inspiration for some of the more dominant themes and imagery on my site.

I would argue that its actually one of the best Lovecraft films ever made, even though it's more of a homage to, and not a direct adaptation of his work.

Edited by John Prophet (01/25/11 11:22 PM)

#443456 - 01/25/11 11:15 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Jacob's Ladder! Jacob's friggin Ladder man how did we forget that one???

#443539 - 01/26/11 08:06 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Fnord]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Oh gracious me, was I raving? grin wink

Is there anyone even remotely comparable to Brad Dourif. Does he just mainline pure adrenaline and intensity. I mean, geez, he just leaks brimstone in that scene. He is awesome in every sense of the word.

So, I revisited Black Christmas this morning thanks to you and, wow. I had totally forgotten how horrible that voice was! It helps when you watch it all by yourself in the dead hours of predawn. Every little creak and sigh the house made totally freaked me out, I saw Things in the shadows, my cat was purposely trying to scare me and before I had to sprint to my car (and struggle with the door after dropping my keys five times and not seeing the ax murderer in my back seat) I had managed to work myself into a proper bundle of goosebumply nerves.

Loved. It. coopdevil

House of the Devil is on the queue for this evening (Netflix Instant baby), can't wait! Thank you!

And, thank you. smile witch
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#443541 - 01/26/11 08:13 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: John Prophet]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

I know exactly what you mean about Boggy Creek and context. I've got a few movies just like that on my list. I tend to be shy about recommending my underdogs because I'm never sure if it's just the movie that was so memorable or some other unrelated component that acted as a catalyst of sorts.

I'm kind of easygoing about my horror movies though and have a great big huge mushy soft spot for Bees in particular. If anything I guess I'm too under-critical, meaning I usually have fun but sometimes miss some real serious flaws. I really do go in wanting to enjoy myself. And I have a spooky-easy time morphing back into my 9 year old self, conjuring memories of hiding behind the couch stealth ninja-like, sneaking peeks at my very first horror movie (Charlie McGee: best role model for young girl? The jury is still out.)

Interesting to think of what scared us as kids and how that has or hasn't changed.

Dreaded Sundown sounds awfully familiar but I can't be sure if I've seen it or not. So I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and watch yet another horror movie. Oh will the torture never end.

wink crossbones
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

#443584 - 01/27/11 08:40 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I must admit that, on the whole, horror isn't what it used to be to me. For example, when the David Lynch movie Blue Velvet was first released in 1986 I was absolutely terrified of the character "Frank" (played by Dennis Hopper) -- whereas nowadays I find him outrgeously funny (and quite pathetic).

But that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate a good movie! Case in point, I received today from Amazon.com a box set of the complete series of Hammer House Of Horrors (the TV series) from back in the 80s -- and I'm now happily looking forwards to perusing it over, well god-only-knows how long. The 4 discs contain a total of 11 hours of material. I predict some bizarre essays flowing from these hands in the near future...

Edited by XUL (01/27/11 08:41 AM)

#443585 - 01/27/11 08:45 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Shade
(Netflix Instant baby)

Oh, in that case, I can suggest more to fill your instant que smile

• Cropsey - A surprisingly effective documentary about child kidnappings on Long Island. I won't say more... it's worth a watch (you'll notice familiar themes). Official Site.
  • Planet of the Vampires - You may have noticed I'm a Mario Bava fan by now. This one is more interesting for the setting(s) and cultural references than it is for the story (which isn't bad). I love the lighting in Bava's films and his ability to weave setting into his scenes as a character in and of itself. It's difficult to mistake his work for anyone elses. You'll see what was to become the future of horror in this one. Ridley Scott must have been a fan too as he lifted a fairly notable scene for his movie Alien. By the by, no vampires in this film. The Italian title is "Terrore Nello Spazio" (Terror in Space)... no idea why that got translated into Vampires.
  • Below - I have a natural aversion to deep water as it is. Add a ghost story and bucket fulls of claustrophobic tension and you're almost there. Excellent "thinking person's" horror film.
  • Masters of Horror - Jenifer - Dario Argento's one hour film for the Masters of Horror collection. This one is just sick, twisted and wrong on so many levels... which is why you'll probably like it as I did.

Have fun smile (I have tons more).

#443589 - 01/27/11 09:12 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Disembodied Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Loc: Tropichell paradise.
My personal favorite has always been The Shining. I know Stephen King didn't like it because it drifted a little bit from his novel, but this is one of if not my favorite movies of all time. It never gets old.

#443793 - 01/30/11 06:45 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Fnord]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

I've seen Cropsey and really liked it! I wrote about this one on my blog. Intriguing story, striking imagery and that bit from Geraldo Rivera... oof. The quasi-summation thing at the end about urban legends was pretty sharp observation.

I like documentaries in general though and I don't think they are too far off the original topic here. The non-fiction aspect, (or the "based on a true story" tag) heightens any horror. It's scary to think that Something Awful could really happen, to empathize. To suddenly realize this is no dream, this is really happening. For me, the horror movies with the most resonance, the most endurance, tap into that.

In that vein, I'd like to recommend a recent favorite, Lake Mungo. Australian documentary-style ghost story. I'm not typically moved by this subject. Well, that's not true. I think it's just been a little soured for me by the reality TV onslaught of "paranormal" nonsense. But this one got to me. It was very slow. It was very subtle. It was so obvious what was happening. Until it wasn't. Easily the most unnerving thing I've watched in a very long time, haunting in a lot of different ways. More about the living than the dead but I think, at their core, ghost stories usually are.

(I have tons more).

You are very dangerous man, Texas. grin

P.S. House Of The Devil was AWESOME! Like top-ten-awesome. Like "turn around and watch it again immediately" awesome. Awesome, awesome, awesome. jack

Edited by Shade (01/30/11 07:37 AM)
Edit Reason: How could I forget?

#443840 - 01/30/11 03:52 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
@XUL: I'm jealous. I cut my teeth on Hammer films courtesy of Sir Graves Ghastly Presents. Was I the only 8 year old girl to be in lust with Christopher Lee?

@ Shade: Brad Dourif is exceptionally creepy. His Piter deVries made Dune watchable.

I read a magazine from the UK called Bizarre and they have movie reviews in the back pages. For a while they were touting Australian horror and a lot of movies from Asia, in particular they also mentioned a film about the Nanking massacre. Anyone seen that? I'm curious to know if it is as vile as it is reported to be.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#444249 - 02/04/11 05:01 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
El orfanato creeped the hell out of me.

But if I REALLY fancy some horror I just watch the daily news.

#444257 - 02/04/11 10:21 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
"American Gothic", starring Yvonne DeCarlo of "Munsters" fame. There is a plot twist that would make any Satanist proud!
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406136 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements