Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#445527 - 02/19/11 10:40 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
LaVeyanAngel Offline

Loc: florida
When i was about 7 or 8 years old, I made the mistake of telling my dad i wanted to watch scary movies. Well, he let me watch something that was on tv called "Night of the Creeps," i think it was called. Just a few random stories in the movie, I dont recall every bit of it, as I wound up leaving the room shortly thereafter.

There was one scene where this woman was looking for her cat, and then it walked in the house, and she was so happy to have found it again...UNTIL the cat turned its head and half its flesh was eaten away, looked kind of like a zombie cat.

That part terrified me, as well as the opening scene where this young couple was making out in the woods, in a convertable, and these alien looking guys come up and chop their heads off. It wasn't just one clean swipe and you're done, it was brutal hacking and blood, and breaking through the spinal cord. Even back in the 80's with the horrible visual effects, it was scary for a 7 year old!

Ever since then, I've had a hard time with scary movies. Since I have SUCH an active imagination, pretty much everything scared the hell out of me.

I was 15 when i saw "Scream" in the theaters, and as much as I WANTED to like it, I literally was afraid to answer the phone for months.

Since then, though, I've mostly grown out of that, trying to watch some "horror" movies here and there, but it seems as if all the ones that come out now are, well, pretty much crap.

I will so, though, that "House of 1000 Corpses", is one of my favorites. I had a hard time sleeping for a week, but I loved it so very much.

#445548 - 02/19/11 02:57 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
One little personal story too... smile

When I was a very little child, one night I got out of the bed and went to a living room. I accidentally saw one scene from a horror movie on our old black and white TV. A vampire was going to bite its victim's neck and it scared the life out of me. For some years, I have been falling asleep covered up to ears, just in case that someone sharp-toothed could want to bite me. Later, I managed to tame and befriend my nightmares and even made it to kind of erotic dreams before those children of the night almost disappeared from my dreamy repertoire.

But, that was the scariest horror 'movie' for me. wink

Unknown, just seconds lasting scene seen through the child's eyes, until parents 'arrived' to rescue me.

Nowadays, I am not a fan of modern horror movies. I genuinely liked one, the Event Horizon and it was quite scary (read invoking feelings of discomfort), in my opinion. Of course, it depends on what one expects behind such term...

I like horror classic though. Where the blood is not so important, but the psychology of characters... (The Masque of the Red Death is a pleasing example, but hardly can be classified as 'scariest'.)

#445572 - 02/20/11 03:06 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
LilithBischoff Offline

Loc: Germany, Berlin
Perhaps some may find it rather funny, but you know Joey? The little boy whose father dies and he speaks with a little red phone with him? Of course there is a youth film, saw him for the first time with 8 years, but little Joey is threatened by a ventriloquist's dummy. The thing is so vicious. I do not know why but for her I can not stand those dolls. They make me goose bumps and remains so today. However, I have a paranoia of clowns. I must see her and I only get my hands wet Swiss revolves around the stomach.

#445578 - 02/20/11 08:29 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Disembodied]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
First, let me say that the man was certainly born with the right surname. He is definitely the KING of the macabre. (Well, right there with Dean Koontz.)

I loved the book THE SHINING. But was sorely disappointed with the movie. I mean, Shelly Duvall? The only role she was right for, in my opinion, was as Olive Oyle in POPEYE. The cartoon Olive seems to be a blueprint for Ms. Duvall.

Any way. Back on subject.

My favorite films are the Classic Horror films, with such stars as Vincent Price, Bella Lugosi, Boris Karloff, etc, etc, etc.
The ONLY redeeming quality of "modern" horror is the special effects.
From the "Hellraiser" seriies, to "30 Days of Night' to "Saw" series. I love good effects.
And, though I like the old classics, the effects (when present, and though at the time, top of the line) were a bit, what (?) cheesy?

I, too, watch some of the classics on NetFlix. I love the service. I can watch what I want, when I want, without the clutter of more DVDs to store.

#446732 - 03/05/11 04:54 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Alice_Angel Offline

Loc: England
I remember when I was a child being very freaked out by the film Picnic on Hanging Rock. It was based on a true story about some school girls in Australia who went missing on a school trip. To this day no one really knows what happened to them. It's definitely the 'fear of the unknown' that gets me more than the blood and guts. The mystery. Another one was The Blair Witch project. I was still very young when I saw that. Too young to really know that it wasn't real.I think I was still in primary school. I remember when they first promoted the film they promoted it at being real footage and a great deal of people fell for it. Including me! It really affected me but the interesting thing was there's nothing horrible visually in the film. It's all left up to the imagination and that's definitely what makes it so creepy I think.

#447054 - 03/09/11 10:08 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Bedlam Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Perfidious Albion
American Werewolf in London when you are about 10 years old.

Or Jacobs Ladder (any age) when someone has slipped something into your drink.

Do I look like I carry a pencil? Jason Statham

It may be Crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

~ Gil Scott Heron

#447187 - 03/11/11 07:45 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Venom
A friend just asked me what the scariest horror movie was and I couldn't think of one so I decided to ask here.

I'd say "the scariest movie" doesn't exist because there's so many great scary movies out there. grin

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#447736 - 03/19/11 10:19 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Valtiel Offline

Loc: Hollywood
It's my ambition to be making movies in this category before long.

Films I'd personally recommend in the horror genre would be:

Some already mentioned, classic psych horrors like Jacob's Ladder or The Shining. The thing that always got me about the Shining was the brilliant way they handled an unearthly presence. Most ghost films settle for this idiotic waving the camera around in the actors faces sort of shot, the Shining did the exact opposite, by having a simple angle directly from the back of the characters head, following a few inches behind them. Gave the wonderfully freaky feeling that something was watching their every move from right behind them.

Paragon Japanese filmmaker Takeshi Miike is brilliant, people have recommended 'Audition' already, and his short 'Imprint' was genuinely gruesome. Some awesome visuals and cringe-worthy torture scenes.

I'm a fan of John Carpenter's Classic 'Prince of Darkness'. Scared the hell out of me as a child, but nowadays is more comical than really frightening. Still a good watch.

#448504 - 04/01/11 10:21 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Shea Offline

Loc: Chicago
This is certainly a topic near and dear to my heart! One of the most profoundly disturbing movies of my childhood was 'Event Horizon' with its quality effects and morally ambiguous story-line.
I'm infatuated with the 'Hellraiser' series, even the ones that became no more than schleppy straight-to-DVD releases, and I eagerly anticipate the release of the ninth film in the series, 'Hellraiser: Revelations.'
"Angels to some; demons to others" was a line that really aided in my questioning of traditional morality--displaying the truly powerful nature of art.

#448505 - 04/01/11 10:45 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shea]
Valtiel Offline

I thoroughly enjoyed Event Horizon! Great film. I always enjoyed Sam Niel, after seeing him in the 'Omen' films which I loved as a young 'un.

Event Horizon is also a huge inspiration for so many things. Of course watching it today, it's not a frightening film, but what it does have is one of the best senses of impending dread in any film. The first twenty minutes are brilliant. But now it's being ripped off all the time. A handful of videogames have copied it directly, as well as few lesser budget horror films. Such is the flaw of a fun film, I suppose, it will always be copied.

#448578 - 04/02/11 06:41 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Adam-9sense Offline
CoS Warlock

I too am a big fan of Sam Neil. He also excelled in the Lovecraft styled 'In the Mouth of Madness'.

#448580 - 04/02/11 06:46 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Adam-9sense]
Valtiel Offline

How did Lovecraft do it? He not only created an entire sub-genre of literature, but an entire sub-culture decades after his death. Thousands of people have heard of the Necronomicon, are familiar with Cthulhu, even when they've never heard of Lovecraft himself. What a guy.

#448582 - 04/02/11 06:55 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Praxilla Offline

I'm a big fan of horror movies. I love the thrill I get from watching them. I guess I have a fetish for scaring myself to death. I'm getting the same effect from playing the survival horror game Dead Space 2.

I'm a bit desensitized when it comes to gore, unless it is particularly moving, as in the case of Hellraiser I (Actually the entire series) or Martyrs(A French horror movie).

Ironically, though, I can be a bit of a jumper. Within the last few days i've seen a few Japanese horror movies. Three Extremes 2 and Nightmare Detective. In the first few minutes of Three Extremes 2 a doll comes to life. It's one of those things you know is going to happen and yet still are not prepared for.

Sidenote: The music from the Exorcist 2: The Heretic freaks me out. It's the only score to ever make me feel this way. Besides "Regan's Theme"(Which is beautiful), I think it could actually drive me nuts.

The only recollection I have from my youth is of watching the Exorcist. I must have been around eight at the time. I don't know why I was allowed to watch that, lol. The scene with Blair's character spitting into the eye of the Father or priest forever played in mind afterwards. I refused to see it again until a few years ago. I was still a little freaked out but it was more of an interesting sort of freaked out this time.

Scream is another gem from my youth.

Some others:
Drag Me to Hell
Saw
Carrie
Tenebrae
Blood and Black Lace

...There are many others. I just can't think of them.

I saw someone else mention classic horror. I guess that is also a love of mine rather than the blatant horror examples. Hammer Horror made a lot of good ones. From the Karnstein trilogy, especially Vampire Lovers, and also Daughters of Darkness, Vampire Circus, etc etc.

Full Moon's Vampire Journals is another good example.

Edited by Praxilla (04/02/11 07:09 PM)

Am not another; therefore Iíll not die.

#448585 - 04/02/11 07:27 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Valtiel Offline

One I'd forgotten about for a while, that just came to me is 'Kolobos'. A low budget independant slasher flick, came out around the scream era. That was a good, dirty sort of gorefest. Had a big brother setting, where people in a house, actors and artists, are knocked off by a self-mutilating nutjob named faceless. Entertaining stuff and some of the imagery was sufficient to deeply freak out my high school friends at the time.

A film with a similar feeling, but more high budget american fare, that came out soon after was 'My Little Eye'. That had a more standard twist in the tail killer feel to it, but had a lot more modern dialogue, gritty sex and such. I suppose I like voyeuristic feel to these films.

The best voyeur horror film ever made, in my opinion, is fairly recent. 'Alone With Her'. Simple low budget film, again, but deeply creepy and above all very realistic. Stalker had cameras in ever room of a girl's house, following her footsteps and integrating himself into her life bit by bit. Creepy stuff.

#450994 - 05/02/11 11:01 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
Kernel Offline

Loc: Nothern Europe
For some reason anything that's been labeled as HORROR doesn't scare me, don't know why. Scariest movies for me would be Sunshine and Mirrors.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405804 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements