Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#443864 - 01/30/11 09:23 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Branwyn Offline

Loc: Montana, USA
So far most of the jobs I've had have been simple little things, most of them while I was in college. Cashier at several places, t-shirt printer, more cashiering. Some on-site EMS work (rodeos, pow-wows, roller derby matches and the like), but usually only a day or two at a time.

When I graduate in June I'll be able to take my board exams to be a Medical Laboratory Scientist, which aside from being enormously fun and interesting (I'm doing it under supervision and without pay now as part of my internship), has a really awesomely impressive title. I'll be one of the people in the hospital or clinic laboratory that runs all of the tests on the patient blood, urine, sputum, stool, body fluids, and so on.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

#443867 - 01/30/11 09:58 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Liberterius Offline

I've been an office temp, I've shoveled people's driveways, and I was a lifeguard at my high school and am now at college.
Helps pay tuition; mostly easy work.
Needing to do rescues there is VERY rare, not like my friends who have guarded amusement parks where you have way more dumb-ass kids. (And more-so, parents.)

#443868 - 01/30/11 10:44 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Lamar Drummer
I'm curious to see what jobs the members of the Church of Satan (and others) have, or your means of supporting yourself. Just curious about the diversity of jobs.

Obviously, some members are not going to give out information like that on a public forum like this. Even a chosen type of career can be quite a private matter. Though I've certainly seen a lot of different careers among Church of Satan members. I've known lawyers, policemen, engineers, teachers, musicians, artists, businessmen, truck drivers, soldiers, bartenders, film directors, car mechanics, store owners, mailmen...the whole spectrum.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#443869 - 01/30/11 10:47 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: RoyceDavis]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: RollsRoyce
I think it's important for Satanists to not lose sight that what one does for money is simply a tool to get you where you want to go, make the best of what you have, and always desire more.

It's still ultimately up to the individual Satanist to decide what role a job plays in his or her life. While it's easy to think of hypothetical examples of downright unsatanic career moves, there's also no single outlook that's going to fit all Satanists. I couldn't stand doing what some of my Satanist friends do for a living, and vice-versa.

Some Satanists have made a career out of their hobbies and passions, to the point where they don't see a fine border around what constitutes "work hours". Others may not be doing their hobbies as a means of income, but have ended up equally happy with a job that provides the money and time for them to enjoy what they want after-hours. Plus, different Satanists also have different comfort levels when it comes to income and living situations.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#443870 - 01/30/11 10:47 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
My rise to power as the first Gigolo/Governor of Colorado is the stuff of legend and most here have heard it before, but I suppose I can recount it for any newcomers.

It began, as so many tales of this sort do, with the ritual removal of my toenails in 1974. This not only marked my acceptance into the Royal Family of Colorado, but the dawn of an enlightenment to the hardships of the townspeople with whom I ventured on Walkabout. They told me their stories as we hiked through the Puma Hills and I began to see a great breach between the workers of the state and the leaders like my parents. Though I could have taken my rightful place as the Surprefect of Denver under their auspices, I instead chose to renounce the title I'd earned by blood alone and take upon myself the life of a Yak Herder.

For 7 years I toiled under the hot Colorado sun and the deep tan which covers my skin to this date earned me my nickname "Josh". It was under this name I was first approached by the freedom fighters of the Platte who related their sufferings under various local regimes including that of my brother Zedarian, who had murdered my parents to seize their meager empire and enslaved the serfs of Cherry Hills and Speer Blvd.

I felt a rage like nothing I'd ever felt before. I resolved on that day to abandon my simple life in the mountains and to take vengeance upon my brother, and on his hierodule Marilyn Musgrave. In the years that followed I raised an army, beginning with the freedom fighters and eventually encompassing Forts Carson and Collins as well as the 2nd Royal Infantry Division of CU Boulder. It was with this force that I stormed the capital, beheaded my sibling and ushered in a new era of prosperity for the state of Colorado.

And so today it is my humble duty to serve the people as their governor and any female dignitaries as their concubine. I am most proud of my legislation to free the slaves, to guarantee food for all who possess the extra virgin olive oil to cook it, to establish a cheese-making college which any citizen can attend without tuition; and of my sexual services to foreign dignitaries including Helen Thomas, Michelle Obama and Kofi Annan, who I learned this very month was not female.

You can see me here at the annual break-dancing session of the Colorado State Senate (2nd from right, standing), which sadly ended in a filibuster:

In reality, my job is in a paperwork phase and I'm trying to avoid doing it by writing some weird shit online.

#443875 - 01/31/11 12:25 AM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Delta]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: Delta
My rise to power as the first Gigolo/Governor of Colorado is the stuff of legend and most here have heard it before, but I suppose I can recount it for any newcomers.

It began, as so many tales of this sort do, with the ritual removal of my toenails in 1974. This not only marked my acceptance into the Royal Family of Colorado, but the dawn of an enlightenment to the hardships of the townspeople with whom I ventured on Walkabout. They told me their stories as we hiked through the Puma Hills and I began to see a great breach between the workers of the state and the leaders like my parents. Though I could have taken my rightful place as the Surprefect of Denver under their auspices, I instead chose to renounce the title I'd earned by blood alone and take upon myself the life of a Yak Herder.

For 7 years I toiled under the hot Colorado sun and the deep tan which covers my skin to this date earned me my nickname "Josh". It was under this name I was first approached by the freedom fighters of the Platte who related their sufferings under various local regimes including that of my brother Zedarian, who had murdered my parents to seize their meager empire and enslaved the serfs of Cherry Hills and Speer Blvd.

I felt a rage like nothing I'd ever felt before. I resolved on that day to abandon my simple life in the mountains and to take vengeance upon my brother, and on his hierodule Marilyn Musgrave. In the years that followed I raised an army, beginning with the freedom fighters and eventually encompassing Forts Carson and Collins as well as the 2nd Royal Infantry Division of CU Boulder. It was with this force that I stormed the capital, beheaded my sibling and ushered in a new era of prosperity for the state of Colorado.

And so today it is my humble duty to serve the people as their governor and any female dignitaries as their concubine. I am most proud of my legislation to free the slaves, to guarantee food for all who possess the extra virgin olive oil to cook it, to establish a cheese-making college which any citizen can attend without tuition; and of my sexual services to foreign dignitaries including Helen Thomas, Michelle Obama and Kofi Annan, who I learned this very month was not female.

You can see me here at the annual break-dancing session of the Colorado State Senate (2nd from right, standing), which sadly ended in a filibuster:

In reality, my job is in a paperwork phase and I'm trying to avoid doing it by writing some weird shit online.

All I can say is...hope you tapped dat.

#443877 - 01/31/11 12:33 AM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
The membership of the Church of Satan hold down a variety of jobs from working in law enforcement to "grinding it out" in a factory somewhere. Many are also self employed. The key is to find what it is you enjoy, then pursue it.

Myself, I am a professional illustrator and work mostly freelance at the moment though some larger prospects are on the horizon. As I said, it's about knowing what you want and pursuing it.

There is a greater truth behind the phrase "Know thyself" wink

#443881 - 01/31/11 01:55 AM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Riddles Offline

Loc: Maryland
Full-time grad student, part-time teacher. Technically, I'm a "teaching assistant", but I have my own course and my own grader.

Prior to that, I've done a wide variety of things, both blue collar and white collar. I've done everything from cleaning toilets to writing software to performing medical research.

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

#443901 - 01/31/11 12:01 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Back in the dark ages I was a roadie. That was fun - but it left me partially deaf forever (as the Motorhead song goes) - and more drunk more often than what is healthy.

#443971 - 02/01/11 10:05 AM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
Currently working nights as a CNA until I finish nursing school. Before that, I was a "Direct Service Professional" and a Medical assistant. Before that, I worked in a factory making Tupperware (Good times there...) and a movie theater grunt before that. SO, yeah. Sticking to the medical field from here on out, Satan willing.

(On a side note, if you've never worked nights, I suggest you try it, should the opportunity arise. Really increases your ability to avoid stupid people and employer BS. You just get to do your work, and leave. Much less hassle (in a CNA setting, anyway).

Edited by Iscariot (02/01/11 10:07 AM)

#443975 - 02/01/11 11:25 AM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
I work part time as a teacher and the rest of the week I spend looking after my sick 90-year-old grandmother. Although work at school is not the work of my dreams I like certain aspects of it. It is lovely when students talk to you, draw something nice and give it to you, show you something they did at their Arts lesson and expect you to praise them. It is very pleasant because spontaneous.

I think that most people work because they have to. And, though you can like what you do, still you must put up with unhealthy rivalry, intrigues, jealousy, gossip and plain idiocy.

Although some politicians and film stars in Poland say they love their jobs (they do not have to do much) it is how a typical work week of an average Pole looks like:

#443984 - 02/01/11 01:40 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
I get to paint giant cartoon characters all day. I was painting jungle animals today, and tomorrow I must paint Ben 10 and some of his monstrous incarnations.

#443987 - 02/01/11 01:54 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: anna]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: anna

I think that most people work because they have to. And, though you can like what you do, still you must put up with unhealthy rivalry, intrigues, jealousy, gossip and plain idiocy.

Although some politicians and film stars in Poland say they love their jobs (they do not have to do much)

Spoken like a true christian you spend most of your post talking about how others do or should feel.

You also seem to have a very keen knowledge about how the day-to-day schedule of politicians and film stars lay out their day. So, would you care to share your information about which persons you are talking about and how you came to know their daily schedule?

I was under the impression that to succeed in either line of work you actually had to put in more than a full weeks work to succeed in either profession.

I know this is pretty much a lost cause - but just for the heck of it ... is this one of the odd cases where you have facts to back your claims?

#443992 - 02/01/11 02:17 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: Iscariot]
skullunit Offline

Loc: "heavens waiting room"
Originally Posted By: Iscariot
(On a side note, if you've never worked nights, I suggest you try it, should the opportunity arise. Really increases your ability to avoid stupid people and employer BS. You just get to do your work, and leave. Much less hassle (in a CNA setting, anyway).

When I used to trade my time for money I chose to work the graveyard shift. Since I've always been a creature of the night it was the best fit for me. Another reason is as you (Iscariot) have mentioned it does diminish the amount of bs that's always present in the "work place". Regarding paying the bills I have worked as a night shift manager in retail, for many years as a carpenter and for the last five years I've made a living in Internet marketing and sales.
skull

#444014 - 02/01/11 04:46 PM Re: Paying The Bills [Re: verszou]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
Quote:
I was under the impression that to succeed in either line of work you actually had to put in more than a full weeks work to succeed in either profession.

But please come here, come to Warsaw. See our hardworking leaders, watch our films (few of them are good), not to mention our beautiful soap operas.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43979 Topics
406036 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements