Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#444795 - 02/09/11 10:19 PM Realization of Intelligence as a child?
Liberterius Offline

I wonder how common this experience was among Satanists...

When you were really young, like Elementary school, (or the equivalent in other countries; ages 6-11 about) were you a LOT smarter than the other kids? Like, maybe not on EVERY subject, (math has always been a weak spot and boring topic to me) but in general, you excelled way ahead of the class?
I knew about the basic structure of atoms in 2nd grade, I knew all kinds of just random facts on history and science, I mastered concepts and could write way better than the average very quickly.
Me and one other boy (still good friends now; that should be telling) in my 3rd grade class especially I remember; we were on a whole nother plane above the others. Like...it's hard to remember specifically a lot of examples, it was so long ago, but we were extremely intelligent. We played RTS (real time strategy) games on PC a lot. Outpost 2 and Starcraft for example; intended for teenagers; we were 8.
We had better vocabularies and could talk circles around our peers it was great. We read books intended for young adults before we were 10.
I credit my parents upbringing a lot. Early childhood learning and reading at home. As I got older, of course things evened out, though I still excelled in the subjects I liked in school, and have always been in some ways more intelligent than the average high school and now college student. I have my weaknesses; in social subtlety and shyness. (In which I've improved...I'm a classic 2-4 range though on the Clock. 4 to be exact.)
And nowadays I'm still way more intelligent than average. I'm more critical, I question things, I THINK more than the average person. I have philosophy and "meta" thoughts; I look at things from different perspectives, question motives, make historical analogies, look past face value. All things most of the herd have a TON of problems with. And that's a lot of why I'm a Satanist, though of course I didn't realize myself as such (or even EXPRESSLY an atheist) for a very long time after my Elementary years.

Did many others of you have similar experiences growing up?
Way ahead of the class in general knowledge and cognitive abilities?

#444809 - 02/10/11 01:14 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

I was raised in a house where learning was encouraged, not forced. I learned to read a little earlier then usual, but from then on I was reading books that were intended for children several grades ahead of me all through elementary school. When I was in 6th or 7th grade I started reading some Nietzsche, a book or two by someone who survived nazi internment camps (his name escapes me currently and my father, who introduced me to the author, is asleep), Tuesdays with Morrie, the 'conversations with god' series (well before I knew I was a Satanist) along the book series 'The Dark Tower' by Stephen King. About halfway through 8th grade, I picked Stephen Hawkings 'A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes.'

Another thing I noticed was my quickness with math. I'm not real sure when exactly this happened, possibly from the very beginning. I was always good at mental math, able to do most equations in my head, or with a calculator when permitted, only writing down answers to part of the equation here and there for later mental computation. Needless to say, I got in ALOT of trouble for not showing my work on assignments and tests. I never did it and the teachers eventually gave up trying to get me to show my work, probably because my answers were almost always correct.

I also remember one time in 4th or 5th grade, out on the playground away from everyone except one of my friends, the only one on par with me in the entire school by a long shot, were talking about evolution and god. We went to the same church and had sunday school together, and were taught the usual story about creation and blah blah blah. On this particular day during recess, we were talking about god, evolution and how we didn't agree with it. We concluded that god had created everything initially, but didn't create all living creatures in their present forms. We believed that he merely started off life with a few cells of bacteria and only intervened here and there to keep things moving forward. We kept this to ourselves, even though sharing it with our parents would have done no harm (our church and parents are quite liberal.)

Now he is an atheist, and I'm obviously a Satanist. We don't talk anymore, aside from a mutual friends birthday party. But even then it isn't in depth.

I'm also curious as to what age everyone on this message board discovered you were a Satanist. No intention to hijack your thread Liberterius, I'm just curious and this seems a fitting place to pose such a question.

I was 16 at the time and ironically enough it was a week or two before xmas.
-Fry Futurama
Crocodilians take better care of their young then a lot of parents I know.
-Dr. Brady Barr

#444812 - 02/10/11 04:18 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
My parents did one thing very right. If I asked for a book, they bought it for me. A very different response from what I got if I asked for, say, a toy, or some fast food snack between meals.

Two treasure troves in particular stand out -

World Book Encyclopedia - these look like the ones I had

How & Why Wonder Books - I had all four depicted here, and many more

#444821 - 02/10/11 09:49 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
My experience was similar is some ways to yours, and dissimilar in others. In grade school, one of my teachers called my parents distressed because I was a social outcast. She did mention that she favored me, and that I tested second highest in the school on an IQ test…info she was not supposed to divulge. I don’t remember learning to read. I was always either the best, or one of the best readers in class. In math, one teacher was a little upset that I found patterns to math problems that made it easier for me to find answers. She preferred we used all the steps we were taught. I don’t remember studying for a biology test; but I did make all A’s. In the junior high, I was in the Junior Beta Club, an honors society.

But, alas…a series of events that are not important took place that changed my attitude about school, society and all things deemed important to “fit in”. I ended up graduating last in my class. I cannot explain why. If anyone is familiar with a certain Zen story concerning a monk, a fish and a job offer in a palace, they may get a hint of what makes me tick. In hindsight, I will admit that I sometimes regret not making more of an effort. I can also attest that, sometimes, intelligence can be a hindrance in unseasoned hands. I have a suspicion similar stories might be common around here.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#444822 - 02/10/11 11:21 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> When you were really young, like Elementary school, (or the equivalent in other countries; ages 6-11 about) were you a LOT smarter than the other kids? Like, maybe not on EVERY subject, (math has always been a weak spot and boring topic to me) but in general, you excelled way ahead of the class? <<

No, I was bordering on retarded and sat at the back of the class with my mouth gaping open and my tongue hanging out for the better part of most of the lessons.

I hated school and couldn't wait to get out at the end of the day so I could get home, jump into my own clothes and race off over the swamp near where we lived to catch frogs and build tree-houses.

At the very first opportunity I left school at the age of 15 without a single academic qualification to my name.

>> And nowadays I'm still way more intelligent than average. I'm more critical, I question things, I THINK more than the average person. I have philosophy and "meta" thoughts; I look at things from different perspectives, question motives, make historical analogies, look past face value. All things most of the herd have a TON of problems with. And that's a lot of why I'm a Satanist <<

Realistically, I would say I'm only of average intelligence.

I'm just harmlessly in the background. Nothing for anyone to pay any mind to.

#444823 - 02/10/11 12:31 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Liberterius
When you were really young, like Elementary school, (or the equivalent in other countries; ages 6-11 about) were you a LOT smarter than the other kids?

I always did really well in school, but I can think of a few key moments of realization that I was a step above most of the others.

I could read sometime before the age of 4. I think it was my teacher from nursery school (or as it's more often called these days, "pre-K") who realized this and informed my parents. My kindergarten teacher however was clueless about that fact until my parents happened to mention it one night at a parents-teachers meeting. The very next day, she excitedly pulled me aside, pulled out a book, and pointed to each word in succession, asking me to read it. I remember thinking "Why is she asking me to read this slowly, one word at a time? She could just ask me to read this normally." Soon after, I was receiving separate education from her in the back of the room, from a different book.

Another event that comes to mind happened in 3rd grade. In math class, we had an assignment that was a page of geometry brain teasers, like "How many triangles are in this figure?", "How many circles do you see?", etc. As is always the case with problems like these, there's much more than meets the eye. I was excited to them, and even though I got two of problems wrong, I still did the best out of anybody else in the class. A lot of the other students were getting one or two CORRECT, at best. The teacher put my paper up on the bulletin board for all to see.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
In math, one teacher was a little upset that I found patterns to math problems that made it easier for me to find answers. She preferred we used all the steps we were taught.

In some cases, certain mathematical conventions are taught because even if they might not be the best for simple problems, they do help you solve more complicated problems you face later on. For example, when some students are first taking algebra they might opt to do problems in their head, or take a "brute force" approach (keep guessing until they find an answer that works), instead of writing an equation to solve. But then a week or two later they're presented with problems where that strategy no longer works and they're forced to catch up on learning the strategies they've been blowing off.

Aside from those cases though, it's really stupid when the emphasis is on sticking to convention and not learning. There's always more than one way to solve a math problem, and the irony is that going-through-the-motions doesn't help you solve the more challenging problems in math. If we could always just blindly rely on a formula, we wouldn't have so many unsolved problems in mathematics (and believe me, there are problems out there that have continued to stump the best of the best for centuries).

As I've said before, I can't say "fuck the system!" because the system has worked for me: I went to college, went to graduate school, and established a lucrative career. But public schooling in the U.S. is, in a word, a joke. A lot of students are only doing well because they're just good at retaining and regurgitating information. What's worse, is that kind of behavior seems to be encouraged and rewarded in the school system. Thankfully, I had the opportunity to go to a private high school where they treated you like an adult (expecting you to act like one too of course), there was plenty of room for creativity, and the teachers were excellent and passionate about the subjects they taught.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#444824 - 02/10/11 01:05 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
When you were really young, like Elementary school, (or the equivalent in other countries; ages 6-11 about) were you a LOT smarter than the other kids? Like, maybe not on EVERY subject, (math has always been a weak spot and boring topic to me) but in general, you excelled way ahead of the class?

During my elementary years my teachers noted that I had impeccable spelling and reading capabilities. One teacher also noted that I was "smarter than the average bear." Of course considering what average is that places me right above retarded. grin

#444828 - 02/10/11 01:59 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I'm stupid as fuck. But there are some who are stupider. You gonna give me a cookie or what?

#444830 - 02/10/11 04:18 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Having a sister just 13 months older than I am, she started school (naturally) a yeard ahead of me. (In the late 1950s, in a small town in Western Oklahoma, there was no kindergarten.) When she would bring a book home from school, somehow, I just "knew" I could read it, and did. I did this all through my sister's first year of school.
When I started the next year, I was amazed at all the books and things that could be learned from them.

History, science, English literature & math were always my favorite subjects. Though "English" was a bore to me. (I never understood the reason for "diagramming a sentence." I thought, "I can speak fairly well (for a damned "Okie") so, what the hell is the point in all this?

By the seventh grade, I had (quite literally) read every non- fiction book in the school library. And most of the fiction that I deemed worthwhile ("Catcher in the Rye" and "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" stand out.)

Reaching age 17 during the height of the war in VietNam, I dropped out of school and enlisted.
I haven't been back to school since, but still research various things that interest me and continue a sort of "self education."

#444831 - 02/10/11 04:45 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
Quote:
No, I was bordering on retarded and sat at the back of the class with my mouth gaping open and my tongue hanging out for the better part of most of the lessons.

I hated school and couldn't wait to get out at the end of the day so I could get home, jump into my own clothes and race off over the swamp near where we lived to catch frogs and build tree-houses.

I had some students like this. They were not interested in school because either they were lazy or (more often) they found school boring, tiring and oppressive. However such students, though troublesome, are often talented and imaginative. If they want, they can get good marks without too much effort.

Very often the school system is at fault. My students from the agricultural school have the opinion of being the most stupid folks in the town. It is a small school so there are only a few hours a week for the teachers to work but the students have eight or nine lessons a day and some of them have kids. No wonder they are often tired.

Quote:
Realistically, I would say I'm only of average intelligence.

It is hard work that counts more, at least at school. I used to have good marks because I spent a lot of time studying. However, I found many subjects useless and boring. I think that in the secondary school students should chose four or five subjects that they want to study instead of wasting time learning everything.

The university is a much more pleasant experience because you can study what interests you and happily ignore everything else.

#444842 - 02/10/11 09:47 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
TheAbysmal Offline

Anna,

I LOVE you.

You roll with the punches.

You make lemonade out of lemons.

You go where you want, not necessarily where is usually followed.

You are so YOU,

smile

Refuse to die.

#444848 - 02/11/11 12:54 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: anna]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: anna

The university is a much more pleasant experience because you can study what interests you and happily ignore everything else.

Do whaaaat?

I wish that I could pick and choose exactly what classes I could take at my college and not worry about other subjects that have nothing to do with my major.
Shit, I bet I'd have about two classes then.

I have never been at the top of my classes in school. I have like a mild case of dyslexia in some things, mostly math. Comprehending things back in elementary somtimes was a challenge, it sort of is now at times depending on the subject.

I wouldn't just say that I'm an absolute idiot though. I excel in music and writing.

Shit Lamar Says

#444861 - 02/11/11 08:02 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Adam-9sense Offline
CoS Warlock

In kindergarten, if I am remembering correctly, it took me a bit longer with reading involvement, and with the rest of the early grades I was much more focused on making the class laugh and keeping the girls eyes than the school work.

In 4th grade I wrote a story about a woman who was attacked and killed by a stalking werewolf, fully illustrated. The assignment was liberating and exciting. This is where I excelled above the others in my class.

#444862 - 02/11/11 08:05 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
LightAngel Online

Loc: Denmark
If you are so intelligent, then how come you don't question what intelligence really is?! jack

#444885 - 02/11/11 04:27 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: TheAbysmal]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
You are so kind. smile

@Lamar Drummer
At my university we had a few subjects which were obligatory and the rest were optional. Still you chose the area of your study. My major was English literature, history and culture. The minor was American culture and practical English. There was no Science and no Maths, Biology or Geography, which I had to learn at school.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12010 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405200 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements