Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#445065 - 02/13/11 07:58 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Quaark]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
One of my first was the F word. One of my very first toys was a plastic phone and I would crawl away from it, then rush back, pick it up and slam it back down shouting "Fuck!". It was in emulation of my Mom missing phone calls.

#445078 - 02/13/11 11:25 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Delta]
Spelled Moon
Unregistered

Quote:
I would crawl away from it, then rush back, pick it up and slam it back down shouting "Fuck!"

Would enjoy to see that. smile

I don't know, what my first words were, but I was a 'good little girl'. wink

At least... Most of time. grin

#445081 - 02/14/11 01:23 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Bill_M]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
[quote=Liberterius]
In some cases, certain mathematical conventions are taught because even if they might not be the best for simple problems, they do help you solve more complicated problems you face later on. For example, when some students are first taking algebra they might opt to do problems in their head, or take a "brute force" approach (keep guessing until they find an answer that works), instead of writing an equation to solve. But then a week or two later they're presented with problems where that strategy no longer works and they're forced to catch up on learning the strategies they've been blowing off.

I know where You are coming from for the most part.

When I learned multiplication and division I was frustrated to no end that you had to sit through this lesson while the teacher explained it for the BILLIONTH time to the rest of kids this long procedure about how many times X goes into Y when I could do it in my end within seconds. However, I did pay attention and learned the principals behind the long way to do simple multiplication/division, so when a longer harder problem came along, I could still do it easily, but at this point I needed to write it down. It was elementary school after all.

I had a very similar experience in algebra. I got it the first time it was explained to me, did nearly all the homework in my head for the first few weeks and irked my teacher by not writing down the equation. He let me get away with it because he knew I was fairly smart, even for the other kids who took algebra 1 in 8th grade. (Which at my school really meant something.)

But again, when the harder stuff came, I could easily do it. Although now I only needed to write down answers to parts of the equation, and did the rest on a calculator or in my head. He really tried to get me to show my work at this point, but I still wouldn't. Finally, when the first semester came to a close I didn't have a choice. The problems were quite lengthy and complex, so I needed to write them down. They were really making me think.

As one of my middle school teachers said, I learned through osmosis. I listened to the lecture, did some homework if any, and did pretty damn good on all my tests, especially for not jotting down a single note or studying.

But then I got my depression, and started failing just about every class. My freshman year in HS I had a .338 GPA. I had the worst case of 'don't fucking care' syndrome you could imagine. I was looking forward to the day I turned 18 so I could drop out of school and wait to die in peace.

But luckily my depression cleared up, I got my HSED and went into an audio engineering technical college and got my associates there. Yet again, nearly every class was easy. There were two I struggled with greatly, but it was the teacher. He was trying to get us to learn multiple concepts that you get in the second year of music theory in less then 2 hours a week. Most people did horrible in that class.
-Fry Futurama
Crocodilians take better care of their young then a lot of parents I know.
-Dr. Brady Barr

#445082 - 02/14/11 01:38 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Delta]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
That must have been hilarious to watch.

#445087 - 02/14/11 03:35 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
LilithBischoff Offline

Loc: Germany, Berlin
In my youth I was told my teacher that I was smarter than the other. Still, I'm having more and more separated from the others. I could not build a bond with my peers, classmates. I had more older friends though not many, but often times has me in trouble in my life.

That changed today not really. Still I have no contact with the masses, but who wants the whole hog.

#445110 - 02/14/11 01:37 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
I agre with that statement, as I too felt, and still mostly feel, no connection to allegedly normal people of my own peer group. It's led to an isolated life, but I have been enriched by the few people clever enough, different enough, or otherwise understanding enough, to get past my barriers and become my friends. What they themselves get from the connection, I couldn't possibly say, as it sometimes baffles me why anyone would be interested in me as a person, beyond what I do, to who I am.

#445124 - 02/14/11 04:55 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Nammu Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Pacific NW
I remember the minute I learned to read as a child. All the symbols floating on the page finally made sense. At that point school work became the obstacle which kept me from reading.

After the first “coloring contest” I sped through the daily coloring in second grade. As a child my logic was, I have proved I can color once, no need to prove it every school day for the next 10 months. I thought coloring was for babies anyways. I applied this same logic to all other subjects, once I learned something I had no patience for the endless repetition the school system is so fond of.

I would sit in class with tears streaming down my face as I repeated everything. I’d walk home crying and angry every day after 6 hours of torturous repetition. I had no idea how to deal with this level of frustration as a young child. I didn’t understand why I seemed to be the only kid in class experiencing this.

I adored my fourth grade teacher as she let me work at my own pace. I turned in my work for the nine weeks during the second week (after having to rewrite everything a second time due to my illegible penmanship). I read books for the remainder of the term.

#445861 - 02/23/11 06:13 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
LaVeyanAngel Offline

Loc: florida
I've always been above average in spelling and reading. Which is probably why I'm so good at scrabble now. It's my all time favorite game, yes, I'm a bit of a nerd.

I do have problems with the "ie" and "ei" words though. I can NEVER remember the rule. Doesn't help being slightly dislexic.

But I am absolutely horrible at math, that was my all-time worst subject EVER. The only reason I managed to pass in high school, was because my teacher actually took time out with me to try and explain the problems and as long as I turned in the assignments, I was doing OK. Of course, I was the only 11th grader in a class with a bunch of freshmen.

My elementary school experience was good, I always got honor roll. But once I got into middle school, my self esteem dropped considerably, and I failed miserably.

Edited by LaVeyanAngel (02/23/11 07:00 PM)

#445875 - 02/23/11 08:16 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: ]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Spelled Moon
Since my age of 10, I have been attending classes for the talented children (Math was my specialization)

As I wrote in The Satanic Life, it amuses me how many people take up this "I suck at math" motto, as if bad math skills were genetic. Some people even seem to pride themselves on the handicap! It sometimes makes me wish I was the accountant, landlord, or even waiter for these people. Somebody who can't figure out how to calculate 8% tax or 2/3 of something would potentially be easy to screw over.

It's even funnier when you see people using their computer to angrily denounce mathematics, or rhetorically ask what on earth it's "good" for. When I see this, I usually point out that to post such a thing on the internet you have to be looking at a computer monitor (where the Pythagorean Theorem was used my manufacturers to ensure the right dimensions for the given screen size), maintain a connection on the internet through a server (networking algorithms), log into a website (which safely encrypts and decrypts their password using cryptology), type characters (using binary to other base arithmetic), etc.

A few months ago I ran into somebody on a math forum who was majoring in graphic arts, and was angry about having to take linear algebra. He asked of what use matrices possibly were to him, and angrily "challenged" all of us to "create a pink fluffy bunny using matrices". I asked if he had used any programs like Photoshop for doing illustrations. He said yes, of course. Then I revealed that it's essentially matrix manipulation that allows you do do everything in graphics editing programs: storing certain colored pixels in certain places, stretching an image, skewing, rotating, etc. So all I had to do was whip open MS Paint and draw a bunny. grin

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#445881 - 02/23/11 08:44 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Bill_M]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Originally Posted By: Bill_M
As I wrote in The Satanic Life, it amuses me how many people take up this "I suck at math" motto, as if bad math skills were genetic. Some people even seem to pride themselves on the handicap! It sometimes makes me wish I was the accountant, landlord, or even waiter for these people. Somebody who can't figure out how to calculate 8% tax or 2/3 of something would potentially be easy to screw over.

Yes they would:

#445884 - 02/23/11 09:01 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Delta]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Even if the person whose bill that is can't do math, he definitely left a very good tip for that price.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#445898 - 02/24/11 01:23 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Delta]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Then there's this classic bumper sticker:

Attachments
lottery.JPG

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#445908 - 02/24/11 02:39 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Vale Offline

I struggled a lot trying to learn, my dad being dyslexic and my mother a schizophrenic.I barely had any exposure to brain teasers, such as books, games, and math. Little interaction with other people. I didn't get bedtime stories, my father could barely read. I didn't get the enriching environment of education, my mother was too busy arguing with random objects. Though, the only thing my dad did show me was how to look at art. He would randomly paint faces all over the walls. I thought it was so fascinating. Sitting there for hours being his model. Drawing me with the pet cats and ballerinas without heads. Guess what I'm good at? Drawing. Though it may not seem to be some kind of intelligence to others, it is like any other subject

After awhile I figured out that everybody is born differently. I believe that everyone is at the same level. It's just achieving their own goals that makes them successful. The old saying "if there is a will there is a way"

people who are determined to learn and be open minded will go the furthest.

Now I will stop typing.. I sound like some kind of bigot.

#445929 - 02/24/11 12:58 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Hm, with regards to the being bad at maths - doesn't mean I can't figure stuff out. I have plenty of people I trust, friends and acquaintances, who can help me and I know how to use a clalculator. Just can't do it in my head, and I can't always figure out the method to get the answers I need.

I know that maths makes things work, but I don't directly use it all the time - I didn't programme my computer, for example. I simply understand the usual ways of using these apparatus, I certainly couldn't fix the thing if it went wrong.

But I'm neither proud nor ashamed of my lack of ability in maths, it's simply a fact. And it's certainly not genetic, although being told I was a useless idiot all my childhood probably wan't helpful, but these things can be overcome.

As with all things, it's a form of stratification; some of us are better at this stuff than others. I couldn't care less that I'm not great at a subject I have no love for, and I've not been screwed over yet due to simply being careful and having lots of help (and knowing when to ask for help is important). But I took another subject I loved, worked at it, and am now one of the best in the country at what I do. That's where general intelligence can help; knowing how to make what you're good at, work for you. smile

#445938 - 02/24/11 02:23 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I don't think Satanists are different with respects to any predictable pattern of measurable intelligence -- but I'll buy the argument that most people who drift to these shores have been alienated with respects to personal ability to "fit in" with a society that thrives on mediocrity. If there is a common denominator for "Satanic predictability" I'd wager it has to do with a sense of creativity and a desire to be alive, really alive, for as long as you've got in this world.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
43879 Topics
404435 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements