Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#445939 - 02/24/11 02:26 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Furrtiv]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Furrtiv
Hm, with regards to the being bad at maths - doesn't mean I can't figure stuff out. [...] As with all things, it's a form of stratification; some of us are better at this stuff than others.

The stratification doesn't only have two levels, though. There's still a huge difference between accepting the fact that you'll probably never excel at a particular subject, and being so clueless about that it becomes embarrassingly self-defeating. Not being in the first extreme does not justify being willingly of the second extreme. Again, it's even more ridiculous when some people practically pride themselves in being of the latter extreme, perhaps even thinking there's something inferior about being a "geek" of a particular subject.

I'm not expecting laymen to be able to do trigonometry in their heads. But I do expect an adult to be capable of at least figuring out something like "40 minus 10" without freaking out and resorting to a calculator.

Likewise, I'm certainly not an artist, astronomer, or historian, and I don't dare compete with experts in these fields. However, I can at least draw a recognizable triangle, know that the Earth is closer than Pluto is to the Sun, and write at least a few sentences worth of information on the American Civil War. It's not impressive by any means, but some people pathetically can't even do some of these things, and not surprisingly they can be easily manipulated into crooked business deals, conspiracy theories, etc. It doesn't take much imagination to think of examples. Let that happen to the herd, not us.

Attachments
dilbert_jesus_autograph.gif

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#445951 - 02/24/11 04:37 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
LaVeyanAngel Offline

Loc: florida
I've actually gotten much better at math since I've had my current job. I do use a calculator at times, but its become easier to calculate simple math on my own. I guess it just takes practice and perseverance. I refuse to be defeated by numbers, dammit! :P

See, my thing is that I can figure out different ways in coming up with a solution, somewhat technical, but really easy for me to come up with. However, I just cant figure out the equation I've come up with to find the solution! Guess I gotta have more patience and spend more time trying to work on that.

#445962 - 02/24/11 05:14 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Bill_M]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
Funnier, some people do not understand that math is a descriptive tool and has a strong connection with everyday reality. They think it's just something written in their exercise books.
I do not address this to anyone here in particular.

One memory occured to me. I remember one boy, who kept trying to reinvent a wheel, once talked about amount of apples. Like this: 'What if two apples are three and not two?' He kept wondering about words, thought that he was undermining the math and failed to see that the mass of apples remains the same, equal amount of fruits like before.

Math is just a description of reality, useful to help get other descriptions that make things work. Nothing more and nothing less. When I used to join this kind of discussions in other forums in the past, I usually said - if there were no math, people would be living in the caves yet and would not have any of the comfort which they are enjoying happily now.

But in general, I have already given up on this kind of conversations a long time ago. smile

#445990 - 02/24/11 08:38 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Liberterius Offline

Spelled Moon,
I understand very well how math is important, and that it describes real concepts in physics and nature.
But to actually study it, I find incredibly boring, and I'd rather leave it to someone else.
I'll fully admit my lack of knowledge in math, but I can see how other people would find it interesting and why human civilization does need it.
I'm just glad other people can spend all day figuring out equations and numbers and symbols.
I'll keep to words and speeches thank you very much. :P
I DO find math history kinda cool though; like why different theorires and concepts were discovered and codified by mathematicians through the ages.

#445991 - 02/24/11 08:42 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Bill_M]
Liberterius Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
Hm, with regards to the being bad at maths - doesn't mean I can't figure stuff out. [...] As with all things, it's a form of stratification; some of us are better at this stuff than others.

The stratification doesn't only have two levels, though. There's still a huge difference between accepting the fact that you'll probably never excel at a particular subject, and being so clueless about that it becomes embarrassingly self-defeating. Not being in the first extreme does not justify being willingly of the second extreme. Again, it's even more ridiculous when some people practically pride themselves in being of the latter extreme, perhaps even thinking there's something inferior about being a "geek" of a particular subject.

I'm not expecting laymen to be able to do trigonometry in their heads. But I do expect an adult to be capable of at least figuring out something like "40 minus 10" without freaking out and resorting to a calculator.

Likewise, I'm certainly not an artist, astronomer, or historian, and I don't dare compete with experts in these fields. However, I can at least draw a recognizable triangle, know that the Earth is closer than Pluto is to the Sun, and write at least a few sentences worth of information on the American Civil War. It's not impressive by any means, but some people pathetically can't even do some of these things, and not surprisingly they can be easily manipulated into crooked business deals, conspiracy theories, etc. It doesn't take much imagination to think of examples. Let that happen to the herd, not us.

I love this post. I hate it when people are PROUD of their ignorance in subjects, like it's bad to know things.
The culture of willful ignorance being cool is such a huge problem in this country, and most of the world. Especially black urban culture in the US, uggggggh. *vomits*
I admit when I'm not an expert in a subject, but I could still have a mild interest in it, and will often fact-check things I hear in news reports or in science magazines when I see something I'm not familiar with.
I could talk all day about the American Civil War or a lot of US and European history, but studying math or trying to draw or fix car engines would kill me. Doesn't mean I don't WANT to know anything about them; I can at least try.
But seriously fuck willful ignorance and the culture of stupidity.

Edited by Liberterius (02/24/11 08:43 PM)
Edit Reason: spell check

#445997 - 02/24/11 10:40 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Bill_M]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

The stratification doesn't only have two levels, though.

It hardly ever does. The either or crowd forgets there are degrees of development. coopdevil

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#446012 - 02/25/11 02:21 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>>Especially black urban culture in the US, uggggggh. *vomits* <<

grin grin

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#446016 - 02/25/11 04:53 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Liberterius

The culture of willful ignorance

That sort of thing actually has an academic term of its own now: Agnotology, i.e. "the study of culturally-induced ignorance or doubt, particularly the publication of inaccurate or misleading scientific data" (Wikipedia).

#446017 - 02/25/11 04:57 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: XUL]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> That sort of thing actually has an academic term of its own now: Agnotology, i.e. "the study of culturally-induced ignorance or doubt, particularly the publication of inaccurate or misleading scientific data" (Wikipedia).<<

If it is willful then it isn't ignorance.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#446025 - 02/25/11 07:57 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone
If it is willful then it isn't ignorance.

Now you're getting advanced. Philosophical metaphors aside, I like to think of that which they call "faith" (especially in its religious context) as willful (and often quite organised) ignorance. The study of Agnotology may or may not lead anywhere -- but I'm quite happy that it's gotten an acedamic acknowledgement as a real, quantifiable phenomenon.

Edited by XUL (02/25/11 08:00 AM)

#446038 - 02/25/11 11:35 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Liberterius Offline

By "willful ignorance" I meant that someone says "Hm, I don't know much about this topic. I COULD at least read the wikipedia article on it to grasp the basic overview, but instead I'm gonna not look up or learn anything about it, and be proud of that fact. Learning is stupid!" Basically.

#446046 - 02/25/11 02:51 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
This is very simplistic...and admittedly an artificial dichotomy, but I find there are two kinds of people...those who choose specific things to think about or study because it gives them a feeling of security; and, the curious. Curiosity has no specific goal other than scratching that itch. The curious come in differing degrees of intelligence. But at a certain level, they can, if they put their minds to it,learn pretty much anything. Interestingly, it is not uncommon to find that the curious may not be considered the most successful people in the world because they might not stick at one thing very long, unless something really grabs them.

Sadly, there are people who show little to no curiosity. They are dull, stupid and only learn what they absolutley have to. I have no idea what makes them tick. It's like seeing color and trying to imagine what the world lookos like to a color blind person.

I always thought I was not good at mathematics myself. Then, I realized I was just impatient and, in my youth, did not want to take the time to double check my answers. That's okay though...learning Calculus is on my bucket list.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#446053 - 02/25/11 03:26 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Ugh, I can certainly agree with the wilful ignorance issue - far too much of it about! It seems like a new phenomenon, that it's seen as good to be an idiot, and that clever talented people are somehow "uncool" - like I'd want to be one of a crowd of morons? No thanks!

Curiosity can be both a boon and a bane; learning new things is always interesting, but not being able to focus on any one thing long enough to be good at it (unless you have a burning passion for something), can certainly be an impediment to success and fulfilment.
That said, I'd rather be always curious, than always dull.

#446133 - 02/26/11 11:00 PM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Furrtiv]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

It seems like a new phenomenon, that it's seen as good to be an idiot, and that clever talented people are somehow "uncool"

Look on the bright (dark?) side. It makes it that much easier for the Satanist to manipulate people.

The strong rule over the weak and the cunning rule over all.
-Fry Futurama
Crocodilians take better care of their young then a lot of parents I know.
-Dr. Brady Barr

#446167 - 02/27/11 07:24 AM Re: Realization of Intelligence as a child? [Re: Liberterius]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Oh yes indeed; it's just that dealing with it constantly, day to day,hour to hour (at work, usually) can be tiresome after a while. But you're right, it's given me many opportunities to improve my own situation and my use of lesser magic. smile

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12216 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406127 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements