Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#445694 - 02/21/11 03:18 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: womanking]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Quote:
it would be difficult to order them online and have them shipped to a household with very nosy family members.

If you're concerned about family members going through your mail, you could get a P.O. box. It's cheaper than a Kindle.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#445698 - 02/21/11 03:50 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: Bill_M]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: Bill_M

I've seen it filed under "New-Age/Astrology" before, and a number of other odd categories over the years.

Yep--I usually find it in "New Age/Astrology" or "Metaphysics."

That may just be the bookstore's way of saying "Ooooooooooh spooky!" or "Oooooooooh bullshit!"

And, like you, I almost never find it in the "Religion" section.

(There's a small local bookstore whose entire Religion section is simply titled "Beliefs." I like that, actually.)

Meanwhile, I have variously found Victor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning" in Psychology, Religion, Philosophy, Science, and New Age, so there ya go.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#445700 - 02/21/11 04:15 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: womanking]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

An aside:

When the owner of Ripley's museum in San Francisco asked Dr. LaVey if he wanted his statue in the religion section Dr. LaVey mentioned it was more appropriate to place him in the dungeon, the now chamber of horrors.

Provided here for perspective, and a little food for thought regarding Satanism.

You can see the statue at 6:21 The original setting included a nude altar with a Baphomet.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#445704 - 02/21/11 05:00 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: Phineas]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
It should be shelved "in a gray area, between psychiatry and religion." wink
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
ďA membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.Ē -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#445706 - 02/21/11 05:06 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: Svengali]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

coopdevil

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#445710 - 02/21/11 06:09 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: womanking]
A Z Well Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Free State of Vermont
You can ask your local library to acquire a book and many will gladly take the donation of a book as well.

#445762 - 02/22/11 01:59 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: womanking]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The first time that I saw TSB was in a bookstore in the "Occult" section as "Religion" consisted only of very few mainstream texts.

I've never seen it in a library, but at the time the "Occult" section of most neighbourhood libraries were so minuscule and outdated that they practically didn't exist and the same could be said of many other topics.

The central library downtown probably had it but the library was so large that it was difficult to find anything in it.

I haven't been to a library since college as I generally just purchase books if I want them.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#445941 - 02/24/11 02:29 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: Svengali]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Svengali
approach buying a book on magic as they would buying a loaded gun

Indeed. With a fantasy of the - supposedly - heroic end result at the forefront of the mind. The triumphant ego! Never mind all the ground work of maintenance and responsible use. Life is a movie.

#446036 - 02/25/11 11:10 AM Re: The library and TSB [Re: womanking]
JSBlack Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: South Wales
The Satanic Bible is stocked in Waterstones here in the UK The book doesnít cost the earth. Iíd rather have my own copy than one from a library any day, itís my copy and no one else touches it. (Actually, I own six copies in total.) coopdevil

#446073 - 02/25/11 09:34 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: JSBlack]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: JSBlack
The Satanic Bible is stocked in Waterstones here in the UK The book doesnít cost the earth. Iíd rather have my own copy than one from a library any day, itís my copy and no one else touches it. (Actually, I own six copies in total.) coopdevil

I hardly ever go to libraries. I usually just save up some cash to buy a book of interest on amazon.

Actually, I really need to save up and purchase a new Satanic Bible. The pages in mine are all falling out.

Shit Lamar Says

#446106 - 02/26/11 12:43 PM Re: The library and TSB [Re: womanking]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Really? I go to libraries all the time, I love them for general fiction, sci-fi and fantasy (my local ones are surprisingly well-stocked), but I also prefer to purchase good books for myself. The advantage of having a good library is that, upon finsing a book I love, in whatver genre, I can then go and order a copy at my local bookstore, knowing that it will be good enough to read through again and again. I do the same with films - rent something out, then if I like it, go and purchase a copy.

Even if they're not on the shelves, I've had no problems ordering any book I want, including Satanic texts, from major bookstores. It's all profit to them. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404445 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements