Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#450635 - 04/28/11 11:45 PM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: Quaark]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Daark

Now, to all the people who are interacting in-depth with SINclair...

WHY?*

*This is not an official Mod admonition to cease, but a sincere query born of genuine curiosity!

wink

Exercise smile I've been studying scepticism and critical thinking lately, so I'm making a habit of looking for logical fallacies to see if I can identify them correctly.

#450637 - 04/28/11 11:51 PM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: TrojZyr]
Liberterius Offline

Of course there are many Muslims with whom I could get along fine; I've gone to school with some, and was and are friendly acquaintances with some still to this day.

Those were American born, quite moderate Muslims though mind you.

Now, even Arab devout Muslims are still of course not all assholes anymore than all American devout Christians are.

Meaning they can still be a lot, or might be the nicest folks ever, and will TEND to be more assholy ("holy lol") than more secular type people.

Its not absolutes its tendencies, which I find stronger in Muslims than many other people. I don't like how modern Muslim culture too is still so oppressive to women in the Middle East, and how the men and women there just keep that up.

It's disgusting.

And I disagree with the philosophy and everything of Islam of course.

But yeah, not all people of a given religion are complete dicks, nor are they incapable of being sincerely reasonable and perhaps rather tolerant and moderate.

#450639 - 04/29/11 12:00 AM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: Liberterius]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Liberterius

Really, ok SINClair, I disagree with Daark that you're a complete moron with whom we shouldn't interact.

Aw, thank you. Very sweet of you. Even though this whole thing reminds me of first-grade... resembles the maturity of six year olds. zombie

Still it was nice of you, thank you.

Now, back to topic... think of people who have autism, for instance. They are humans, but with a disability in common, making them a different group of people, different from all normal people.

Perhaps my theory about Muslims could be easier to digest, if approached from that angle.

#450641 - 04/29/11 12:04 AM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: SINClair]
Liberterius Offline

Originally Posted By: SINClair
Originally Posted By: Liberterius

Really, ok SINClair, I disagree with Daark that you're a complete moron with whom we shouldn't interact.

Aw, thank you. Very sweet of you. Even though this whole thing reminds me of first-grade... resembles the maturity of six year olds. zombie

Still it was nice of you, thank you.

Now, back to topic... think of people who have autism, for instance. They are humans, but with a disability in common, making them a different group of people, different from all normal people.

Perhaps my theory about Muslims could be easier to digest, if approached from that angle.

Don't let it go to your head...I still think you're behaving like an idiot on this particular topic at least.

A different group of people is not a different species.

They are just humans you're categorizing into a different group based on some feature or group of features.

In that definition, yes Muslims definitely are a group of people.

One which often likes to show off how much it IS that group and scream about how everyone outside of that group is infidels.

#450643 - 04/29/11 12:25 AM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: SINClair]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Actually, SINclair, after re-reading the entire thread, I have to say you have contributed rather remarkably to the discussion, by presenting a spectacular and remarkably consistent foil for analysis on a number of inter-related levels - even if this was not your intent. That Verszou et al finds value in it has weight.

Thank you.

I am not locking this thread, as it is still productive, (and except for one cranky old Moderator), reasonably civil.

wink

#450644 - 04/29/11 12:30 AM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: SINClair]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

What's "wrong" with it is that you aren't stating some opinion, you're spouting off idiotic bullshit.

If you simply said "I fucking hate Muslims, I lump Arabs in with them, I believe they're genetically inferior and I'm fine with being labelled a racist for that" then I doubt anyone would bother arguing it. There's no desire among Satanists to adhere to political correctness.

Instead you're arguing for some half-baked "hypothesis" that demonstrates utter ignorance. For fuck's sake, you've had the whole thing explained to you multiple times, and sourced. Even if you're too lazy to get a book, Wikipedia has a perfectly good explanation of the biological ramifications of speciation, and I can personally verify that said article is generally up to date with modern scientific thought.

If you're going to willfully keep your head in your ass, at least have the decency not to play the victim card.

#450647 - 04/29/11 12:49 AM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
What's "wrong" with it is that you aren't stating some opinion, you're spouting off idiotic bullshit.

Attachments
elephants.jpg

#450648 - 04/29/11 01:14 AM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: Quaark]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

#450649 - 04/29/11 01:44 AM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: SINClair]
verszou Offline

The thing is. The poster I was replying to, is typing from Denmark, a country where the Muslim population is very small. What he/she said in the post, sounded like a conclusion taken upon reading articles on the subject. Articles written about Islam and/or Muslims, are always very, very carefully measured words. No one ever dares to question anything about Islam and Muslims, for fear of being called racists.

Yes, let's be careful about those people who read articles. I hear it leads to using books, data and all sorts of things smile

The size of the muslim population in Denmark is irrelevant to the validity of your theory, which was stated to be valid in general.

It's sort of an inverse ad populum argument to support anecdotal evidence. You end up with things like:

"My general theory that all deaths are caused by drowning can only be challenged by people who live in boats and watch people that I personally know drown".

Saying that your theory about muslims can only be proved in certain circumstances by personal observation is special pleading.

Also, the care with which articles are written about islam really have no bearing on whether or not your theory is logically or scientifically sound. So, that's a non sequitor.

#450650 - 04/29/11 02:09 AM Re: Multiculturalism [Re: SINClair]
verszou Offline

False analogy. Autism is a neurological disorder, autists are not a separate race either.

Your argument might as well be "some people have the common cold, this sets them apart from others and therefore any statements I make about people who are not like others is true".

Also, your argument here is based on a vague notion of "normal", in some countries being muslim is the norm. So there is a major unstated premise here about what "normal" is.

It would be fun to stay and see if I could get all the ones in the top twenty (http://www.theskepticsguide.org/resources/logicalfallacies.aspx), but there is sun outside, so I think I'll go talk to the plants for a while.

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Forum Stats
12196 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406002 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements