Topic Options
#448439 - 03/31/11 11:43 PM World weary skepticism, your table is ready.
TyFox Offline

Loc: Florida
Hello and greetings to all those that are willing to accept them.

I find myself returning to this "place" again with a slightly different attitude than the last time I actively posted here. I will acknowledge that my previous posting was boorish and not well thought out, so do please take the compliment implied when I say that I was mildly intimidated by the keen intellectual responses I received to the sophomoric frustrations in my personal life. Also, please accept my heartfelt apologies for having thrust said petty nonsense upon those that were subjected to it.
Respectful acknowledgements aside, I'd like to rant for a moment about something that's been floating around my consciousness for a long time now that might benefit from some satanic scrutiny.

When considering any philosophical system I often use the rule of "universalizability" to consider it's macrocosmic ramifications. That is to say, what would the world be like if all people followed this system? Would a satanic approach to life be productive if all people were to follow the eleven rules and adhere to avoidance of the ten sins? What if all children were raised with a tolerance to LaVey's concepts? Certainly a much more brutal populace would take hold, resulting the the systematic elimination and/or subjugation of the weak-minded and weak-willed. Of course, one must accept that not all individuals are CAPABLE of accepting and making the best of a satanic way of life. Let us not forget that fifty-percent of the human population is decidedly below average. We are absolutely NOT all "special" in our own way. The vast majority of individuals are average at best. So, in a hypothetical world in which all people were recognized as divinity up to the point at which they were able to assert their dominance, wouldn't an inevitable rise-of-the-masses occur anyway? Wouldn't the serfs and wage slaves eventually overthrow those that through their own might and prowess were able to control the world at large?
Even as I write this, my skin crawls at the concept that we're trapped in an inevitable cycle in which those without the fortitude to improve their own situations shall perpetually usurp their controllers and place others that at the moment appear to represent their interests, only to be subjugated further by their new "leaders" in a seemingly different fashion.

Are we not trapped in a cycle?

With respect, I'm curious to see what COS members might think.

Rege.

#448440 - 04/01/11 12:10 AM Re: World weary skepticism, your table is ready. [Re: TyFox]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: TyFox
When considering any philosophical system I often use the rule of "universalizability" to consider it's macrocosmic ramifications. That is to say, what would the world be like if all people followed this system?

I've noticed that religious zealots and even most other people often have the over-simplified attitude of "If everybody would just start/stop [some particular behavior], then the world would be a better place". But as you yourself point out, we as Satanists acknowledge that our religion isn't for everybody and operate with with that in mind. "Satanic universalizability" is rather an oxymoron. In fact, taking this a step further, I personally thought George Carlin brilliantly summed it up when he wrote "If you think there's a solution, then you're part of the problem" [Carlin, George. Brain Droppings. Hyperion, 1997].

Quote:
Would a satanic approach to life be productive if all people were to follow the eleven rules and adhere to avoidance of the ten sins?

"Ten"? Is there a tenth one I haven't heard about?

Quote:
What if all children were raised with a tolerance to LaVey's concepts? Certainly a much more brutal populace would take hold,

How do you figure?

Quote:
Let us not forget that fifty-percent of the human population is decidedly below average.

Not necessarily. You're assuming that your criteria for stratification leaves you with the statistical median equal to the mean. But I digress.

Quote:
Wouldn't the serfs and wage slaves eventually overthrow those that through their own might and prowess were able to control the world at large?

Not necessarily, especially if they're given distractions.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#448443 - 04/01/11 01:27 AM Re: World weary skepticism, your table is ready. [Re: TyFox]
TyFox Offline

I must first acknowledge my own error in referring to the "ten" satanic sins... oops. smile

As to the statement that fifty percent of the human populace is below average, I have to also acknowledge an error in citation, as I should have credited that also to the late-great George Carlin. Yes, though, upon deeper reflection, it does imply a statistical assumption. The point made, I believe, is that it must not be forgotten that our population is not nearly as entirely comprised of nobel-prize winners as some folks would like to believe.

All in all though, Reverend Bill, I think you've succinctly addressed my original thought by indicating that "Satanic universalizability" is, in fact, quite the oxymoron. On that note, my concept of a "more brutal" society is pretty much defunct.

I'd like to express my appreciation for your input, I feel like the concept was verging on maturity and only needed a nudge into sensibility.

Rege.

#448461 - 04/01/11 11:31 AM Re: World weary skepticism, your table is ready. [Re: TyFox]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: TyFox
What if all children were raised with a tolerance to LaVey's concepts? Certainly a much more brutal populace would take hold, resulting the the systematic elimination and/or subjugation of the weak-minded and weak-willed.

Not necessarily, because you still have to factor in innate temperament and personality---the parents', as well as the kids.'

I think you'd see the same variability among "Satanic" children as we already see among mainline Protestant children. Inevitably, each person would latch onto a different cluster of concepts and ideals, and then implement those lessons in a different way.

A sizable number of individuals just wouldn't be able to grok Satanism, period. Those who were reasonably self-aware and self-honest would set off in search of something they could relate to, while the self-unaware ones would just become crappy pseudo-Satanists.

Something to keep in mind is that not even all geniuses, success stories, ubermenschen, and shining stars are created absolutely equal--because a portion of the variance is made up of hard work, determination, and dumb luck; because no matter how great you are in a given area, you'll inevitably meet someone who's even more skilled; and because there are so many different ways in which to attain or embody success, skill, honor, and satisfaction.

There are some Satanic principles which I believe can (and even, should) be readily and easily universalized, and there are others which I think only a select subset of individuals can be trusted to really grok and practice.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#448479 - 04/01/11 01:59 PM Re: World weary skepticism, your table is ready. [Re: TyFox]
WolfMoon Offline

Quote:
That is to say, what would the world be like if all people followed this system? Would a satanic approach to life be productive if all people were to follow the eleven rules and adhere to avoidance of the ten sins? What if all children were raised with a tolerance to LaVey's concepts?

In my opinion, none of this really matters. Not everyone follows it now, so I don't see this as being relevant to anything practical. It will never be the norm, because we uphold the adverse concepts of the herd. There are different types of people in the world and the purpose of this religion is not to convert everyone to our model of thinking, but to benefit ourselves from the philosophy. Satanism is based on how the world actually is, not how it should be. Satanism works for me, so I could really care less what other people believe or if they agree with me. The only exception is those beliefs that would negatively impact my life, such as disregard for the separation of Church and State.

#448483 - 04/01/11 03:04 PM Re: World weary skepticism, your table is ready. [Re: TyFox]
TyFox Offline

Originally Posted By: WolfMoon

In my opinion, none of this really matters. Not everyone follows it now, so I don't see this as being relevant to anything practical.

The thought itself wasn't intended as a serious practical course of action. It was more of a whimsical intellectual musing. More of a "what if". It's contrary to the nature of satanism to suggest that the general populace should or could adhere to these kinds of concepts.

Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
I think you'd see the same variability among "Satanic" children as we already see among mainline Protestant children. Inevitably, each person would latch onto a different cluster of concepts and ideals, and then implement those lessons in a different way.

Sometimes in my cynical outlook I tend to forget the amazing variability of the human species. Perhaps that's what it is that draws me to satanism in general, a reminder that people that aren't useless wastes of protoplasm aren't as few and far between as I tend to think.

Forum Stats
12019 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405225 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements