Topic Options
#451390 - 05/06/11 11:21 AM Introduction
Scuz Offline

Loc: Michigan
This is my first post and my introduction. I am a LaVeyan satanist, and have core ideals such as Social Darwinism. I am currently busy but I will be working on a small signature and an avatar when I come home Sunday.

Hail Satan!

#451394 - 05/06/11 11:39 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Scuz]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Thank you for the introduction, Scuz. Though I think it's worth pointing out that the term "LaVeyan Satanist" is a redundancy. Before the Church of Satan came along, there was no actual formalized religion called "Satanism" with practitioners who identified as "Satanists". So we've got dibs on the name. We're simply Satanists. Devil worshipers are devil worshipers, not Satanists, even though some paranoid Christians and sensationalist media sources would like to believe otherwise.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#451483 - 05/07/11 03:56 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Bill_M]
Hayden JDS Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By: Bill_M
Thank you for the introduction, Scuz. Though I think it's worth pointing out that the term "LaVeyan Satanist" is a redundancy. Before the Church of Satan came along, there was no actual formalized religion called "Satanism" with practitioners who identified as "Satanists". So we've got dibs on the name. We're simply Satanists. Devil worshipers are devil worshipers, not Satanists, even though some paranoid Christians and sensationalist media sources would like to believe otherwise.

Well put Bill. Dibs indeed!

#451556 - 05/09/11 06:32 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Scuz]
Scuz Offline

That's true, although I think that using the term is a sense of understanding where the ideals are based. Although I completely agree. Thank you for welcoming me.

#451578 - 05/09/11 09:57 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Scuz]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Please note that the following isn't a personal attack or targeted at Scuz. I just think this topic needs some clarification.

Originally Posted By: Scuz
That's true, although I think that using the term is a sense of understanding where the ideals are based.

There's still no need for the term, though. Calling it "LaVeyan Satanism" just adds to the confusion by promoting the false idea of there being different kinds of Satanism, and lends credibility to people practicing ridiculous things that greatly discredits what Dr. LaVey made such an effort to establish. Again, we are the Satanists.

Now before anybody here thinks otherwise, I'm not saying this because I'm biased. This is NOT at all analogous to Baptists claiming to be the true "Christians" and all other sects to be heathens. There's no comparison. Groups like Protestants and Catholics may be different in practice but they still ultimately follow the same deity structure and base their beliefs off the same canon, the Holy Bible. They are indeed different sects of the same religion.

The same can't be said of so-called "Traditional Satanists" and what some other people have labeled us, "LaVeyan Satanists". Satanism as an actual formalized religion hasn't been around for more than 50 years; our book has been around for less than that and does not have the debatable ambiguities, mistranslations, or allegories like the Holy Bible has. While there may have been isolated cases throughout history of aristocrats secretly throwing Black Masses for the entertainment value, or crazy people styling themselves after the propaganda scare stories made up by Christians, there's still no evidence of an organized religion called "Satanism" existing before the Church of Satan. Devil worship and complete rejection of The Satanic Bible simply can't be called a variation on the same religion. More importantly, some devil-worshiping schmuck with a Myspace account and a few on-line friends calling themselves "The First Temple of Beelzebub Reformed" does not deserve equal time with us on a media piece on Satanism.

Again, this isn't a rant directed at Scuz. It's just important to note where the misnomer "LaVeyan Satanism" comes from and why we ourselves don't use the term.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#451580 - 05/09/11 10:25 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Bill_M]
cyanide Offline

Loc: USA
Thank you! I am so glad you wrote this. You have no idea how much it annoys me when people call it 'LaVeyan' Satanism. No offense Scuz, it's just a pet peeve of mine. wink I think this deserves to be a topic of its own that everyone should read. The clarity of the subject shouldn't be necessary but it seems too many people like to throw in the 'LaVeyan' part into the title as a means to ease the socially shocking name 'Satanism'.

Just a thought but if it is going to shock someone to the point of you having to put in a buffer title followed by an 'it's not what you think' explanation of the entire concept of the religion, then that person is probably not someone worth mentioning your religion to in the first place.

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." -George Carlin

#451594 - 05/09/11 01:51 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Scuz]
Scuz Offline

No offense taken, I can see where your both coming from.

Forum Stats
13325 Members
73 Forums
44550 Topics
408044 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold