Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#451157 - 05/04/11 06:19 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Kernel]
drummerboy Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
There is no film I can think of that I find scary. I guess that's the result of being desensitized at a young age by films like 'The Omen' and 'The Exorsist'.

There are a few films that spring to mind that aren't scary, but definitely touch a nerve with their content eg. 'A Serbian Film' and 'Dumplings'. Both of those are definitely not for the feint of heart. (Especially the uncut version of A Serbian Film, I would divulge, but I am not one for spoilers...)

Edited by drummerboy (05/04/11 06:20 AM)
Edit Reason: I can't stand spelling mistakes!!

Shameless self promotion time! Check out my bands page! Octople Drop

#451166 - 05/04/11 07:36 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: DarkHill]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: DarkHill
Another horror movies for me was Hellraiser and John Carpenter's Mouth of the madness.

Hellraiser? Scary? Pinhead is THE MAN!!!
I love all the HR series. Especially "Bloodline"

Some great quotes from that series: "Even in Hell, your suffering will be legendary."

"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks?"

"The doctor is in."
"Shit!"

And DOug Bradley (in my opinion) is a far better actor than, say, Robert Englund.

#451465 - 05/07/11 12:14 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
August Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas Wastelands
Jesus Camp... YES! Disturbing as anything out there.

#451642 - 05/10/11 09:19 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Shade

I'm kind of easygoing about my horror movies though and have a great big huge mushy soft spot for Bees in particular.

Since you've brought up Bees... please tell me you've seen Roger Corman's Wasp Woman. If not, it's on instant.. so get busy.. like a ... smile

Also noteworthy watches (Netflix Instant) since we've last spoken:

Moon:
Atmospheric to nth degree. This one had me crawling out of my skin just for the sheer creepiness. It's really a Sci-Fi flick, but I think you'll get where I'm coming from. Not standard 'horror' (whatever that is) fare.

And

Feast of Death (Documentary):
Well, honestly I've seen this one a few times but I don't think I've mentioned it. It's not horror, per se, but it speaks to things horrific. It's essentially the tale of how James Ellroy (LA Confidential etc) links (in his mind) the murder of the Black Dahlia to the murder of his mother a decade later. He becomes obsessed with murdered women and conducts an investigation of his own into his mother's death. Also, there's a part where he brings in Larry Harnisch to talk about his solution to the Dahlia case. I think you'll dig it if you haven't seen it.

#451677 - 05/10/11 06:24 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
idrusames Offline

Loc: oregon
umm i got to say the movie bloody mary in my opinion was pretty good

#451716 - 05/10/11 11:36 PM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: idrusames]
Kernel Offline

Loc: Nothern Europe
Originally Posted By: idrusames
umm i got to say the movie bloody mary in my opinion was pretty good
<-- Grammar..

Anyway, I like old horror movies better than the newer ones. I see that new ones just don't have the spunk that say old Dracula or Frankenstein has. Although, japanese have made good movies recently - special effects are golden, all that gore laugh Got to love it.

#451723 - 05/11/11 03:57 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Fnord]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Hi! Oh, I lit up like a Christmas tree when I saw your post. I was hoping you'd be back. smile

I will see you Wasp Woman and raise you Invasion of the Bee Girls. grin (also on Instant)

Moon was exceptional, definitely had the atmospheric mojo we've spoken about in this thread. I was floored by Sam Rockwell, not seeing him in his usual wise-crackin', jive-dancin', boogie woogie cornball comedy role was weird. I was not expecting something so poignant. This is definite repeat-viewing, so many details.* Lots of goosebumps, I'd hazard a guess that the Clint Mansell soundtrack helped immensely, but mainly I was struck by the sadness. And the fact that it struck me so hard. I mourned #5. I don't think I've ever wanted more for a movie to end differently.

Re: Feast of Death.

You. Are. C-R-E-E-P-Y. Like, "is he reading my mind or is this a coincidence" kind of creepy. I've had this on my queue for a bazillion years but it always got bumped.

Anyway, neglecting other morning usuals, I've watched it once now but will have to watch it again. I LOVE the round-table dining car setting. I LOVE being a fly on the wall for that. Um, James Ellroy is. Wow. Not sure if there is a word. He has a very disconcerting delivery. I'm not super big fan of crime fiction but I've enjoyed his work, I gravitate toward noir-y things**, and will now be getting "My Dark Places"... which, again, has been flitting around my periphery for a dog year (keep seeing it at used book stores). Anyway, this was a great recommendation! One of my favorite parts, Ellroy answering question about libel:

Quote:
Many people have asked, "jesus, you really rag the shit out of the Kennedys, how come they don't sue you?" Here is my answer: If the Kennedys protested everything that was written about them, they'd be in court all day, every day and they'd have no time to get drunk and rape women.

crossbones

-------------

* GERTY reminded me so much of my old Macintosh. I swear that thing had a mind of its own. When it started to meep out the chimes of death, the boot-up icon thingie changed. Happy Mac wasn't happy anymore. frown

** If you do too (like noir) I can't recommend The Red Riding Trilogy enough.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#451724 - 05/11/11 05:18 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Shade]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Shade

Moon was exceptional, definitely had the atmospheric mojo we've spoken about in this thread.

"Moon" is like a well kept secret...but I keep spilling the beans. Whenever someone asks me for a movie recommendation, I always mention "Moon". It's one of those gems who's genre is incidental.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#452346 - 05/21/11 12:56 AM Re: Scariest horror movie. [Re: Venom]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Horror is my favorite genre. I spend tons of time on my netflix account adding to my que and even pulling up an endless list on the instant stream on my PS3.

Lately, the only movie that has really given me the willies was the first Paranormal Activity.

Every noise in the dark for about 3 days after that had me looking over my shoulder. Can't explain why.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406134 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements