Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#453071 - 05/30/11 07:26 PM Life-like robots
Lust Offline

How do you think your society will adjust to more robot interaction?

Would you send your child to a school to be taught by a life-like robot?

How would you react if a robot fired you from your job?

The ideas and questions can go on and on but in reality these ideas are ready to be put to test.

The video takes a few seconds to load but is quite a treat for those who find this topic interesting.

�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#453082 - 05/30/11 08:37 PM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
If a child have a life-like robot teacher, then the child will also have an emotional stable creature to learn from, because there is no emotions to begin with - (all this depend on how the robot is created of course)

I see advantages and disadvantages here. If the child feel safe with a robot then the child will learn better, but I also see some problems with this. I don't think it's healthy if the child for example only have robot teachers, because children also need to learn how to handle emotional stress etc.

I'm all for robots, but I will keep an eye on them to make sure they behave smile

#453087 - 05/30/11 09:52 PM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
Esiaba Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I think ultimately it will be a mixed bag. Humans along side AI. A human will play 'clean up' with discipline, questions that an algorithm cannot answer, collecting a pay check; while the robot will demonstrate the learning procedure. There is definitely a human touch needed with children as they do need some sort of mentor. I know currently many teachers are not 'pillars of the community' or 'heroes' as I do unholy things to one frequently but a child cannot learn social graces from a machine nor respect one.

#453099 - 05/31/11 03:54 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Esiaba]
LightAngel Offline

I think it's important to mention that children have different personalities, so they need a special created robot that will help them to be the best version of themselves.

I don't think the human-animal is intelligent enough to understand things in the BIG picture, so I think that the human-animal's who is ''different'' will always find their own way.

With, or without robots.

#453103 - 05/31/11 04:44 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
Midnight Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Western Australia, Australia
Fascinating topic and after working all day, stopping at the supermarket on the way home, cooking dinner, running out of time to exercise or go watch the local squash pennant with my son, help my daughter with some article analysis homework and finally sit down at the computer with a whisky...bring it on!

If we can't take advantage of technology like this then what's the point of creating it.

I remember not so long ago when the Australian Education Dept wanted to introduce ipods into classrooms as a teaching aid, the biggest outrage was not what it might do to the kids learning from them but how many teachers will loose their jobs.

If the majority of people in this world were active, productive human beings then maybe life-like robots would not be a reality. Why would you want to make a life-like robot, maybe because you aren't satisfied with the output of real-life people!

Robots have been replacing human positions for years already, l guess the difference here is that they are making these robots 'life-like' which opens up a huge can of worms for some people. Make a robot look like an impersonal box and it's technology but make a robot look like a human and its got moralistic issues coming out it's ears!

Personally if my childs teacher or my boss was a life-like robot l'd want to know all about it, what it can and can't do and what the advantages and disadvantages were before l could say if l would be comfortable with it. Knowing some of the people we have to deal with in this world l can already see some advantages!

Thanks Tier Instinct for a fresh topic, l was getting sick of reading all the recent topics on 'other churches'.

Hail Satan!
Midnight

#453112 - 05/31/11 09:30 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
I have a lot more I could say on this topic, but I'll reserve that for the members-only section.

Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct

Depending on how you define the word robot, it could be argued that people already interact with robots without realizing it. Some books define a robot as a device that can perform an independent action based on user input. In that sense, Moviefone, Amazon.com's book recommendation page, or even a living room's thermostat could be considered robots. The same was true of people's interaction with what's considered a "computer", which isn't limited to home PCs.

If you strictly mean anthropomorphic robots, then that's another story. People were slow to accept other technologies in the past, but eventually they did once they became affordable, used by their friends, and convenient. I don't see why the production of anthropomorphic robots, in and of itself, should be any exception to this trend.

Quote:

I don't have any children and I'm fiercely childfree. But I'd have no objections to this. People have already learned some things by listening to animatronic creations at Disney World, never mind watching instructional videos of real people. Also, there are always going to be students who don't pay attention in class anyway. So I don't see how this could be much different.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've been laid off before for purely impersonal reasons: the company having hired more people than they have work for, budget cuts, positions being restructred so that some get eliminated, etc. And when it's happened, the news was always given to me by somebody below the decision-makers. So getting the news from a robot wouldn't make it that much less impersonal. If I worked in a place that was policed by robots who could fire people based on mundane observations, then I certainly wouldn't like that. Of course, I could say the same thing about a really anal, micro-managing manager who could do the same thing. So the robot isn't an issue.

Originally Posted By: LightAngel
I don't think it's healthy if the child for example only have [sic] robot teachers, because children also need to learn how to handle emotional stress etc.

I don't see how a human teacher would be necessary in that regard. Most teachers are emotional wrecks to begin with.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#453138 - 05/31/11 04:52 PM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Bill_M]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
I have a lot more I could say on this topic, but I'll reserve that for the members-only section.

I will be watching for that. My reasons for posting in this section is because I am looking for a general response from both non and Church of Satan Members.

If you strictly mean anthropomorphic robots, then that's another story.

I do and your explanation is similar to how I am thinking too.

Quote:

I don't have any children and I'm fiercely childfree. But I'd have no objections to this. People have already learned some things by listening to animatronic creations at Disney World, never mind watching instructional videos of real people. Also, there are always going to be students who don't pay attention in class anyway. So I don't see how this could be much different.

Good point. I am thinking there would be those who could learn from the robot but I am thinking that many would lack respect for it. Seeing themselves as being too good to learn from a robot. I also imagine that University would allow knowledge beforehand but if say public schools adopted the robots as teachers then we are back at the beginning.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've been laid off before for purely impersonal reasons: the company having hired more people than they have work for, budget cuts, positions being restructred so that some get eliminated, etc. And when it's happened, the news was always given to me by somebody below the decision-makers. So getting the news from a robot wouldn't make it that much less impersonal. If I worked in a place that was policed by robots who could fire people based on mundane observations, then I certainly wouldn't like that. Of course, I could say the same thing about a really anal, micro-managing manager who could do the same thing. So the robot isn't an issue.

Thank you for your response Reverend Bill_M. Once again I am thinking that many could not handle being fired by a robot. I too have been laid off before and all I received was a letter with the reason. A robot would not be that different.
However, others are not as sound minded and I can imagine some redneck tearing the robot apart out of anger. This of course would be that persons own responsibility and by then I am positive repercussions would be established.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�

#453144 - 05/31/11 08:18 PM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Loc: Alabama

However, others are not as sound minded and I can imagine some redneck tearing the robot apart out of anger.

That would most likely be me depending on the circumstances. Getting fired by technology I would have to quote Bill Burr, "I believe we fucking made you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU2q2v--RGw

Edited by Lamar Drummer (05/31/11 08:20 PM)

Shit Lamar Says

#453152 - 05/31/11 11:18 PM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
I am thinking there would be those who could learn from the robot but I am thinking that many would lack respect for it. Seeing themselves as being too good to learn from a robot.

I'm not so sure that many students would show a lack of respect for a robot teacher (or at least any more than they would show a lack of respect for a human teacher).

On the one hand, if the robot teacher is generally seen as being a machine and recognized as such, then students are likely to treat it like any other machine or inanimate learning tool. In this case, respect or disrespect wouldn't enter the equation. For the most part, equipment is not something that people respect or don't respect; it's just there.

On the other hand, if human-like robots became commonplace throughout society, and people grew up with them and interacted with them just as they would with real humans, then students would probably take the situation for granted and basically respect the robot to the extent they would any other teacher or authority figure.

The way that I see it, the type of disrespect that you're describing would have to occur somewhere in the middle. To decide that they're too good to be taught by a robot educator because that educator is a robot, the student would have to see it as something close enough to human to attribute a certain amount of genuine human qualities to it, while at the same time, see it as something less than other real humans. Basically, robots would have to be seen as subhuman; something beyond a mere machine or tool, but less than a full fledged person.

While this would probably be the case at first, I doubt it would stay that way for very long. I think that there would be a relatively small window (consisting of fear or resentment) between robots being seen as helpful machines and robots being accepted as human substitutes and servants. In fact, there may not be much of a gap there at all.

After we begin to see more anthropomorphic robots being used for various things throughout society, I can imagine that a lot of people will just sort of play along, knowing that these machines aren't real people and just interact with them as if they were anyway; out of convenience, social expectations and habit. Eventually the robots will become so commonplace that it won't be an issue.

I think that society will adjust to robotic interaction remarkably quickly; once it becomes a little bit more familiar and socially acceptable. While many people's initial trepidations about this idea may seem like a barrier to this type of technology coming into existence and playing a large role in society, we must remember that there's a reason why we are fascinated by this topic. If you look throughout human history, artistic endeavors and fiction, it becomes obvious that this is something that people really want and have wanted for a very long time; even if some of them don't know it yet.

#453160 - 06/01/11 03:59 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park

Heh, gladly. Tell me Stepford does not sound appealing after the abject horror of "Real Housewives of Wherever".

I think I'd prefer to send my hypothetical kid to a robot teacher. I think they'd be safer with Johnny 5 than Johnny Potential Pedophile. I'm not sure what the objection is, kids learning to be too unemotional? Becoming too robot-like? Personally, I would love a detachable emotion chip.

There will always be that anxiety about Good Bots Gone Bad (2001, Terminator, Matrix, Westworld, Bladerunner etc etc etc), but people're no different: They go bad. And their "off switch" tends to be a lot messier.

Aside: I think Scharfe's robo-twin is more attractive than he is.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#453170 - 06/01/11 08:34 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: LightAngel]
Lust Offline

Good point and I would think that the robot interaction would be at first limited and of course presented by humans. As the class becomes more conditioned and as the novelty begins to fade is when the learning can begin. I can't imagine the child needing the emotion so much from the robot as this can be sought through guidance instructors who would also play a large role.

#453283 - 06/02/11 09:23 PM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
LightAngel Offline

Half man, half machine, could also be a solution.

We are already being transformed.

#453305 - 06/03/11 09:22 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
Coyote Offline

Loc: Nevada
Interesting video. Makes me think of the Twilight zone. Human like robots, androids, and cyborgs were once the thing of science fiction but now that sort of thing being in society I feel is right around the corner.

I think society might be skeptical at first but eventually I think human-like robots would be accepted as they became more commonplace.

I don't think it would matter if the person firing me was human or robot, I'd be upset either way.

#455827 - 07/12/11 05:04 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Coyote]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Coyote
Interesting video. Makes me think of the Twilight zone.

We are living in the Twilight Zone *Grin* wink

#457251 - 08/04/11 08:07 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
AdamBomb Offline

My iPod passed away recently. It was sad, the memories I had with it, it's only as good as the music you put on it and I had TONS of music that I cherished throughout the three years it was working. Like my cat that died, I got a new one and they both seem better than the previous ones.
I still keep the carcass of the old iPod around and one day hope for a second coming or a resurrection...hehehe

#457355 - 08/05/11 01:44 PM Re: Life-like robots [Re: John Prophet]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: John Prophet
While this would probably be the case at first, I doubt it would stay that way for very long. I think that there would be a relatively small window (consisting of fear or resentment) between robots being seen as helpful machines and robots being accepted as human substitutes and servants. In fact, there may not be much of a gap there at all.

I agree and I have come to the conclusion that it will be about location. As the conditioning spreads so will the acceptance. My thanks to all who have responded.

HS!

#457786 - 08/10/11 12:09 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Lust]
Pablovilla Offline

Loc: Victorville, California

This reminds me of something that I read in the Devil's Notebook.

#457805 - 08/10/11 05:54 AM Re: Life-like robots [Re: Pablovilla]
Lust Offline

"No, this is incredible and it scares me a little bit."

He then shifts the conversation to sex. Once he has her thinking this way she becomes more acceptable to the idea. Conditioning is the key here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
13308 Members
73 Forums
44541 Topics
407970 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold