Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#453864 - 06/11/11 02:07 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: Zsche]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
I'd also be one to suggest that, if all other reasobale avenues of deterrent, prevention, etc have been explored, then humane culling is a viable option. You say that someone has already received injury as a direct result of these animals' actions, so it's possible that, left unchecked, someone could well receive more serious injury on your property and so it is necessary to remove these animals in a controlled and humane fashion, even if that involves killing them.

#453866 - 06/11/11 02:42 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: Zsche]
Liberterius Offline

I say if they're actually damaging your land with their tunneling and eating significant amounts of vegetables from the garden, go ahead and shoot them. You say you're very accurate with your .22 so I'm assuming you can pretty consistently kill in one shot so it's minimally painful.

I would also look up some non-lethal methods to try to ward them out of area, but combine that with shooting.

As with all the Rules of the Earth, Number 10 isn't meant to be taken TOO legalistically. Shooting some random harmless bird in your yard is obviously different from swatting a mosquito; well the mosquito is technically attacking you...

Things can get complicated with it, but the SPIRIT of the Rule is what's important; which I interpret as "Respect the lives of animals, and weigh their lives against your own life and well-being; don't see animals as worthless 'soulless' machines which can be hurt or killed at no consideration." Don't kill without reason...

Even if you hunt for sport, have respect and humility about it.

But anyway on the topic, if it was something harmless like as others mentioned garter snakes (we get those semi-frequently where I live) then that would be violation of the Rule to just hack its head off for no reason.

A risky venomous snake on your property would be different, but if you're in the snake's lair (their natural environment away from people) then it's on you to avoid them.

Some wild animals and insects I actually like to have around; a lot of people would probably like to smack me for this but I like having skunks in my neighborhood because I love getting a whiff of the scent on the wind. If they're rabid that's another thing of course.

#453867 - 06/11/11 03:09 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: Liberterius]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Originally Posted By: Liberterius

Things can get complicated with it, but the SPIRIT of the Rule is what's important; which I interpret as "Respect the lives of animals, and weigh their lives against your own life and well-being; don't see animals as worthless 'soulless' machines which can be hurt or killed at no consideration." Don't kill without reason...

Even if you hunt for sport, have respect and humility about it.

What in the world are you going on about? You've totally contradicting yourself with that one.

As an aside, I am of the firm belief that anyone that hunts strictly for sport without at least consuming his kills is a truly fucked up individual… I don't give a shit how much 'respect and humility' they may say they have.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#453871 - 06/11/11 03:30 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: Bruja]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Indeed.

There's no excuse for trophy hunting and in my view there's no defense for it in Satanic thinking.

Game hunting and eating the kill is fine (same for fishing). Eating being the operative word.

#453882 - 06/11/11 07:00 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: Zsche]
GlobalViper Offline

Loc: USA, HUNGARY
regards to an alternative way of getting rid of them vermin devilchili Well i have had countless vermin in my yard and tried a little trick they do in Hungary, Put Beer bottles (empty) in the ground in different places and the noise they make when the wind blows and the slight vibration they do drives them vermin to your neighbors property who if you like you tell them about your little trick and so on... : )

#453891 - 06/11/11 09:55 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: Zsche]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
You bring up a very common, and exasperating problem. I am sure you will get a wide range of opinions on this ranging from the fact that groundhog activity is creating a safety hazard for your family. Would not getting rid of them be considered a form of self-defense...to what I often call the Mickey Mouse syndrome...an idealized view of critters that borderlines on nuts.

But, consider the long view of the situation. Even if you killed the groundhogs that are presently on your property, you will soon be facing the exact same problem. Better to educate yourself concerning several ways of protecting your property from them. A simple Google search supplied me with a variety of methods. The better sites pointed out that more than one method will be needed for the best protection. That's really all that can be asked for...better protection. The only way to totally minimize your produce being eaten by hungry yard guests is to build a green house. Then, all you need to worry about are the neighborhood kids breaking in.

To answer your question concerning whether or not it is Satanic to kill an animal that is a nuisance; but not an immediate threat...my opinion is no. But that little thing under your avatar indicates you're southern. You won't eat a groundhog? Hell...the next thing you know, you'll say you don't like stewed possum!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#453935 - 06/12/11 12:53 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
I truly appreciate all of the opinions given and enjoy that this topic has caused so much interesting discussion.

Growing up on a farm in the Southern U.S. I have eaten the meat of cattle and pigs that I helped raise, as well as squirrel, rabbit, and practically any fish that could be caught from any body of water around us. I’ve never tried opossum or groundhog, but I know people who have. They swear that both are delicious if prepared correctly. I have researched eating groundhog (they are in the squirrel family), and apparently one really needs to know how to skin them correctly as they have a scent gland that if punctured will ruin the taste of the meat.

Warlock Roho however brings up another facet of the interpretation of this rule which I mentioned earlier in this thread:

Originally Posted By: Zsche
Heh heh! So another view – if I use my sniper skills and take them out with headshots, then turn them into groundhog jerky, barbeque, or stew - then I’m well within the guidelines of this rule.

So Warlock Roho – interpreting what you are saying: if I kill the groundhogs for the initial purpose of having them stop causing damage to my property but then I eat the meat – everything is OK?

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#453936 - 06/12/11 01:10 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: Zsche]
ibugppl Offline
Not a Satanist

If their messing with your garden kill them this isn't a religion with supernatural repercussions.

#453938 - 06/12/11 01:16 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: ibugppl]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

There are other options besides killing them. Read the entire thread and see.

By the way, killing often has repercussions that have nothing to do with the supernatural.

And, not having any supernatural repercussions doesn't necessarily make it the correct choice.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#453940 - 06/12/11 01:31 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: ibugppl]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: ibugppl
If their messing with your garden kill them this isn't a religion with supernatural repercussions.

Your understanding of Satanism leaves much to be desired.

#453941 - 06/12/11 01:32 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: Quaark]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

I smell a troll.

#453946 - 06/12/11 02:56 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: CWH]
ibugppl Offline
Not a Satanist

no not at all. From what I understood this was to be a system of living that had no formal rules. I can agree with Dr. LaVey's teachings but I will not follow them to the letter. At the end of the day I'm the one making the rules for myself.

#453947 - 06/12/11 03:10 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: ibugppl]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

...this was to be a system of living that had no formal rules.

Wrong.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#453948 - 06/12/11 03:16 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: ibugppl]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Wrong.

#453949 - 06/12/11 03:16 PM Re: Satanic Rule of the Earth # 10 [Re: ibugppl]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
Originally Posted By: ibugppl

I'm not worried about "supernatural repercussions" - my concern is attempting to live my life by the philosophy laid down by Doktor LaVey.

(and it should be "they're" instead of "their")

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406074 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements