Topic Options
#460135 - 09/11/11 10:54 AM Orgon
Tasman Offline

In 1939 Reich made a further discovery. He professed to find a new kind of energy radiating from the bions - did not obey the laws for the known forms of energy! Reich called this new energy orgone.

I wonder, what other Satanists thought about this discovery.

#460147 - 09/11/11 12:28 PM Re: Orgon [Re: Tasman]
Lust Offline

It is interesting to see how the focus went from the libido to meteorology and atmospheric physics or micro/macro. He discovered that the same energy in sexual embrace is found in all nature, calling it "the creative force in nature." I posted a relevant video a while back in the music section here at LttD. Here is the url to that video. http://youtu.be/K69hEnLpSY8 Here is the The Organon Mix re-edit http://youtu.be/aRf6PILz0u8

Fun stuff!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#460150 - 09/11/11 12:38 PM Re: Orgon [Re: Tasman]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

There is for all practical purposes not one thing I find interesting in the least about anything about this man's life, or any of his claims.

Nothing.

On the contrary, if someone wishes to discuss him and it is implied that they view him with admiration, it is a clear sign that I will be happier excusing myself from the conversation as soon as possible.

#460153 - 09/11/11 01:11 PM Re: Orgon [Re: Quaark]
Lust Offline

I admire that he challenged Freud regarding sexual repression as being an essential component for the development of society. He instead advocated genital gratification and to avoid compulsory sex-morality; which leads to a pathological or compulsive society. Now, I also know that you are wiser than most and I admire that. This leads me to ask why "Nothing" about him or his claims interest you? I will also understand if you wish to pick this up via private message.

Edited by Tier Instinct (09/11/11 01:18 PM)
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�

#460157 - 09/11/11 01:30 PM Re: Orgon [Re: Lust]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

I will amend my statement to be more accurate, and admit to being hasty (sloppy) in how I phrased that.

"Nothing about him interests me anymore."

wink

He has been relegated to the category of things I looked into and satisfied my curiosity about completely decades ago.

Your point about his place in the evolution of ideas is well taken, and is valid.

My perspective about him now is fatally colored by the morbid crankness of his main points vis-a-vis the inability of them to be coherently integrated into consilience.

You remember that SNL skit?

"If it ain't Scottish, it's crap?"

My version:

"If it ain't consilient, it's crap."

#460159 - 09/11/11 01:41 PM Re: Orgon [Re: Quaark]
Lust Offline

I understand 100%. laugh

HS!

#460161 - 09/11/11 02:46 PM Re: Orgon [Re: Tasman]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Epigones of Orgonomy
The Incredible History of Wilhelm Reich
and his Followers
by Joel Carlinsky

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/10-12-15/

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

The first principle is that you must not fool yourselfand you are the easiest person to fool. ~Richard Feynman

#460164 - 09/11/11 03:16 PM Re: Orgon [Re: Discipline]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
A little bit more on Wilhelm Reich.

http://www.skeptic.com/tag/orgonomy/feed/

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

The first principle is that you must not fool yourselfand you are the easiest person to fool. ~Richard Feynman

#460229 - 09/12/11 11:42 AM Re: Orgon [Re: Tasman]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
To quote Doctor LaVey from an essay of his in The Devil's Notebook:

"For every such Promethean individual, there are a hundred others 'proving' their prowess in magic by sitting in pyramids, building orgone cabinets, photographing leaves and tracing Dracula's past. [...] There is nothing wrong with sitting in pyramids or constructing orgone accumulators, any more than eating banana splits or skydiving. But if you fancy yourself a magician, don't flatter yourself on the merits of you investigations. You are neither innovative nor farsighted. Just going along with a fad."

He goes on to say "A prime example of occult faddists' chicken-with-a-beak-on-the-line methodology is their tendency to grab up anything that has been set forth as arcane", and talks about Wilhelm Reich, and how his "following is largely limited to cabinetmakers".

Originally Posted By: Tasman
I wonder, what other Satanists thought about this discovery.

Back when I was about 14 and into a lot of New-Age dabbling, I ordered some instructions on how to make your own "Home-made Orgone Accumulator". (This was back in the days before the internet was a common household thing, so you actually had to make the effort to seek out and try these things on your own without the luxury being able to consult anonymous strangers, let alone at the touch of a few buttons!)

The instructions included an introduction to orgone energy, how it differed from a deadly irradiated DOR, some anecdotes, and instructions with diagrams. Basically, it came down to wrapping a metal coffee can in alternating layers of organic material and metallic material, namely white paper towels and aluminum foil, with bent coat hanger inserted. Looking back, it didn't seem to generate any "energy" that couldn't otherwise be explained by psychological expectation. I seriously doubt it would pass a controlled experiment.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#460287 - 09/13/11 01:22 PM Re: Orgon [Re: Bill_M]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City

People I met who have been helped by "orgone therapy" are ALL neglected individuals. They would be helped by any physical contact, real or implied, even a slap in the face. However, I always like to encourage people to use the scientific method when approaching any "occult practice." In other words, try it if you think it might work, and do it the right way.

Quote:
Back when I was about 14 and into a lot of New-Age dabbling, I ordered some instructions on how to make your own "Home-made Orgone Accumulator" ... ... Looking back, it didn't seem to generate any "energy" that couldn't otherwise be explained by psychological expectation. I seriously doubt it would pass a controlled experiment.

This sets a good example, and after years of such experimentation, you have become a powerful magician who knows the difference between what's real and what's bullshit.

Now that I have applied the osculum infame, let the mass begin.

#460385 - 09/14/11 04:29 PM Re: Orgon [Re: fatebender]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: fatebender
This sets a good example, and after years of such experimentation, you have become a powerful magician who knows the difference between what's real and what's bullshit.

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm sure I wouldn't have had to wade through as much crap if I had had The Satanic Bible earlier! I remember somebody once describing the book as taking an Occam's Razor to the occult world, and I'd have to agree. Oh well, I can't say that I never tried the orgone thing.

Speaking of orgone, there's a house outside of Boston that was turned into a "spiritual health center" of sorts where they do classes on yoga, tantra, and what not. I knew one of the instructors there, and he showed me how the attic had actually been converted into an orgone cabinet. The walls and doors looked wooden, but closer inspection revealed the many alternating layers of wood and metal. It was easily the biggest orgone "cabinet" I've ever seen.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#460397 - 09/14/11 08:05 PM Re: Orgon [Re: Bill_M]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
Quote:
Thanks for the complement, but I'm sure I wouldn't have had to wade through as much crap if I had had The Satanic Bible earlier!

It is my pleasure, and a credit that is due to you.

I was lucky to know The Satanic Bible early, partly because my father was very hip, and partly because I was always allowed to read whatever appealed to me. It sure beats going through the thesaurus to highlight every synonym for "magic" and "devil." (Yes, guilty.) I have read and listened to a lot of nonsense in the meantime, for fun.

The occult fads that irritate me now are the ones that try to take magic into the realm of physics, and then make their claims look valid with long words and equations. Some may say this is a different type of intellectal decompression, but it seems to impart a permanent idiocy instead of being practical in any way. I have found books on this subject so incomprehensible I had to sit and do sums just to clean my brain.

Forum Stats
12017 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements