Topic Options
#46392 - 06/27/04 09:10 AM "*DO NOT DELETE*"
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
I've done some searching and can't seem to find this topic anywhere else. Forgive me if this has been covered before.
Why are there so many posts from *DO NOT DELETE*? The further one goes into archived threads the more frequently it appears. From what I've read this seems to be replacing several user names, unless *DO NOT DELTE* enjoys answering his own questions using different personas... perhaps multiple personality disorder?

#46393 - 06/27/04 09:33 AM Re: "*DO NOT DELETE*" [Re: London]
Citizen_Squish Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Quote:

I've done some searching and can't seem to find this topic anywhere else. Forgive me if this has been covered before.
Why are there so many posts from *DO NOT DELETE*? The further one goes into archived threads the more frequently it appears.

I recall Magister Ventrue stating that accounts were automatically deleted if the user went for six months without logging in. However, it used to be that when an account was deleted that all posts made with that account were also deleted, thus making the archives a little choppy to read when they contained posts from non-current users.

It is my guess that this "DO NOT DELETE" now replaces the username for posts made with a now deleted account so that the posts will remain.

#46394 - 06/27/04 09:34 AM Re: "*DO NOT DELETE*" [Re: London]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Although I don't have the "official" and definitive answer, (and someone who does will probably address this momentarily), here's my guess.

A large number of posters here have either stopped posting and had their accounts become inactive, or fucked up and got banned.

These long-gone posters made posts that became important and integral parts of threads that are too "good" simply to delete, but for various reasons it isn't needed or appropriate to include the actual (former) poster's user name.

So, rather than delete the posts, or threads, their (inactive or banned) user names have been changed to *donotdelete*, allowing the content of their posts to remain embedded in threads that should remain as part of the permanent LTTD archives, while the user names themselves are acknowledged as irrelevant.

Think about it.

#46395 - 06/27/04 11:52 AM Re: "*DO NOT DELETE*" [Re: Quaark]
Magister Frost Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Close....

The DO NOT DELETE username really has no special meaning to it but it is a place holder for users who are no longer on the board. Though it does not really mean that the posts are to be saved or anything. Its very random and I usually end up deleting the posts. Eventually I will go though the database and delete all those posts.

From Hell,

Magister Frost

---------------------------------------
We're all around you, are you one of Us?
---------------------------------------
- The Church of Satan Emporium
- Satannet.com
- churchofsatan.com

#46396 - 06/28/04 02:32 PM Re: "*DO NOT DELETE*" [Re: London]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
I thank all of you for your enlightenment and time. It is truly appreciated.

#46397 - 11/22/04 03:27 AM Re: "*DO NOT DELETE*" [Re: Magister Frost]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Eventually I will go though the database and delete all those posts.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, considering UBB's db design, can't this be done by performing a SQL query involving a few JOINs or by creating a small script if you want to avoid using a SQL query containing JOINs? It would save a lot of time.

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406027 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements