Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#464352 - 11/22/11 01:09 PM "So, what's your religious preference?"
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Loc: NC
Has anyone ever asked you what your religious preference is?

What did you tell them?

"Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW!"

#464358 - 11/22/11 02:27 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
Usually when asked this kind of question, I reply with a similar question to test the person's receptiveness to my true position. If the person does not seem receptive, I answer very generically in the way that I think they will most expect. By my own choice, I am somewhat still underground. If they do seem receptive, I might drop a few references to LaVey or a phrase from a Satanic writing to see if there is further receptivity. This usually ends up in a conversation about the universal aspects of human nature, which I can then use as a springboard into LeVayan Satanism, if I deem it prudent to myself.

That being said, I do not proselytize.

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

#464359 - 11/22/11 02:32 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Correction: "LaVeyan Satanism." A thousand pardons.

#464360 - 11/22/11 02:40 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bet'phage]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
The phrase "LaVeyan Satanist" is deprecated here. It's redundant. The Church of Satan's position is that anything that isn't grounded in the writings of Anton LaVey just isn't Satanism.

#464361 - 11/22/11 02:43 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Agreed, Warlock Reprobate. I used that terminology merely to differentiate between the reference to "Theistic Satanism" in Alexandernero666's post and Satanism. Thank you for drawing attention to this.

#464362 - 11/22/11 02:47 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bet'phage]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
It is very likely his post will cease to exist soon enough. Offer no quarter to those types.

#464363 - 11/22/11 02:50 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Well said. Thank you.

#464365 - 11/22/11 02:58 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

My normal responses in this day in age are:

1. Religion is something I do not care to discuss at work. Thank you.

2. Not interested.

3. None of your business.

4. Aliens.

#464366 - 11/22/11 03:05 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Loc: NC
Today while I was in-processing into my new unit, we stopped by the chaplain's office because he was also on the "checklist." There were others in the same office. The chaplain asked, "Who wants to go first?" I eagerly raised my hand. His first question was, "What religion is on your ID tags?" I asked the chaplain if I could speak to him privily. It was at that point that the chaplain had the others exit the room and close the door behind them. When he had once again seated himself I told him, "the Church of Satan" is my religious preference. I explained to him why I had asked to speak to him privately. I told him that leadership often frowns upon any religion that isn't considered "orthodox" and that "I don't need the negative attention." I also told him that most of the time I simply tell military personnel that I am an atheist to avoid the drama.

"Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW!"

#464367 - 11/22/11 03:28 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

When I was in the Marine Corps ('98-'07).

My paperwork and tags said Atheist.

I felt no need to explain myself to anyone further than that.

#464368 - 11/22/11 03:38 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

I had to out process the chaplain's office when I ETSed. Prior to that I had either "NO REL PREF" or "WICCA" (I obviously got better) on my dogtags. I had joined the CoS a few months before I got out and since I was on the way out the door I had no problem with telling him I was a Satanist.

No one has felt the need to ask me the question in recent years, but I have confided my preference with a handful of like-minded friends and family members. Judging by some of the comments my coworkers make from time to time, I have a feeling they suspect anyway.
Prevention of Virtue

#464378 - 11/22/11 05:22 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
AdamBomb Offline

It depends what the scenario is, at work when asked, I say I was raised or brought up Catholic, which obviously does not specify I am an Atheist. Outside of work, I'm more of an open Atheist, but the key is to always be respectful to other people's different beliefs. I try not to dumb people down and if they get offended by evolution, that's really their problem and not mine.

#464380 - 11/22/11 05:29 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Where I live, pretty much no one cares. Absolutely everyone who knows me is aware that I have no god beliefs. It's not really an overt thing. It's just that I am really bad at pretending when people say insane things.

There are a very select few who know I am a Satanist. I don't try to hide it. It's just not something that the herd would think of.

But the real truth is...as I posted somewhere else quite a few years ago...I am a confirmed, dyed in the wool Albanian. We worship Jessica Alba, and firmly believe that all of life's problems can be cured by staring at her naval. Seriously.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#464381 - 11/22/11 05:39 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
Roho, could I PM you about getting sponsored into the Albanian faith?

#464384 - 11/22/11 06:06 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
InÚs Offline

Loc: Germany/Spain
This question is a big deal where I live because you pay taxes accordingly to your religious beliefs and because in school you have to chose between "catholic class", "protestant class" or "ethics class". So when filling out any official paper you always have to mark the religion. We had a person from the EU census at our house and she said,"Religion, catholic right?" Because I am spanish. This seriously bugs the hell out of me. I always say "none", which tends to satisfy people. It's funny how bothered people get by what you might affiliate yourself with. So I hate spinach, go have a fit about it somewhere else please.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406035 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements