Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#464393 - 11/22/11 07:35 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
"Banana"

Actually that's my answer to most questions.

#464397 - 11/22/11 08:21 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: tovasshi]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Loc: NC
I'm sure that your quick reply keeps 'em guessing. And it shows that you have a good sense of humor...

"Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW!"

#464398 - 11/22/11 08:24 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Inés]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

The representative from the EU census stereotyped you. Did that enrage you?

"Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW!"

#464403 - 11/22/11 09:20 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
(Carlin listeners will appreciate this, more than others)

I tell them I am a Sun worshipper. But, I pray to Joe Pasci.

If a person knows me, they know my religious affiliation. If they don't, it's none of their damn business.
BUT, I am never without at least one Sigil of Baphomet showing.

#464405 - 11/22/11 10:08 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: DCLXVI]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

If a person saw the Sigil of Baphomet and still asked you what religion you were, they would be considered ignorant (in my humble opinion).

#464409 - 11/23/11 12:13 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
I have a Baphomet tattooed in the center of my chest surrounded by devils and most people are not aware of its meaning. I stayed in the hospital for a week or so and even the doctors asked what it was.
You would be surprised how many people (educated or not) are ignorant of its meaning.

#464415 - 11/23/11 04:23 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: tovasshi]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: tovasshi
"Banana"

Actually that's my answer to most questions.

grin grin grin

Amen.

Originally Posted By: Alonocus Blight
Has anyone ever asked you what your religious preference is?

What did you tell them?

No one asks me. At least I don't think they have; I seem to have developed Papa Shade's selective deafness.

Gotta say, the way you phrased it is kind of creepy. Like asking which side of the bed one prefers to sleep on... but with slightly more sinister undertones. I mean, I don't know why anyone would ask that, in that way, unless they were planning my funeral.

So, imagining myself in that situation makes me twitchy. I'd have a strong urge to channel my inner Crispin Glover.

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#464416 - 11/23/11 05:02 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Shade]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

It wasn't my intent for the original question to sound "ultra-creepy;" I was simply foreshadowing an experience that I recently had with a military chaplain. I have to admit though, the fact that you found the question somewhat creepy is kind of cool.

#464417 - 11/23/11 05:04 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Shade]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Also, that's one hilarious scene and I've never seen the movie. What is the title of the movie that goes with that clip?

#464420 - 11/23/11 06:31 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I understand. I didn't think you were being creepy, you were just asking about what one would do or has done in that situation. I do think the question is creepy. Before I remember that people are usually just insufferably nosy I assume they ask a question for a legitimate reason. Like asking what your religious preference is for burial services.

Um. I guess there are non-creepy interpretations though. Like, whether or not you want your kid circumcised. Or if you require a kosher meal on the airplane. That sort of thing.

I don't like personal questions in general though. With obvious exceptions, people usually are just being nosy. I always want to either not hear them, change the subject or willfully misunderstand.

If I'm trying to actually avoid a question though I don't get cute. I just say something that, based on my audience, I gauge as conversation-ender. Nothing piques peoples' interest more than being secretive or mysterious. Cliffhanger 101. And telling someone you're a Satanist is never a conversation-ender.

The movie is Bartleby, inspired by the Melville story. I liked it but I'm totally biased. I adore Crispin Glover.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#464426 - 11/23/11 08:29 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: CWH]
TTM Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: CWH
When I was in the Marine Corps ('98-'07).

My paperwork and tags said Atheist.

I felt no need to explain myself to anyone further than that.

I'm the same, my dog tags say 'NRE' (No Religious Affiliation) and whenever asked on paperwork I simply put that. In the Canadian Forces Satanism isn't recognized but if it was I would probably list it on my dog tags, it's not something I hide, several military buddies know I'm a Satanist but if some random individual came up and asked I'd most likely tell them it's none of their business.

#464429 - 11/23/11 08:50 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: CWH]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: CWH

I felt no need to explain myself to anyone further than that.

And the truth is, no one really cares. It's like going to the hospital. You go to the emergency room, they ask your religion. Why? in case you croak...or Rev. Smiffy has been hired to visit sick folks. No one is looking for stimulating conversation.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#464431 - 11/23/11 08:58 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Do they really ask that in ERs in the US?

I understand asking in a health facility if the situation indicates that death is a possibility, but otherwise, that would never happen here (in Canada).

Related to the original post, it is also very rare that people ask in polite conversation. It is like asking someone's age or sexual orientation; only a rude person would dare act so familiar with a virtual stranger.

It can happen, but it is not usual.

#464432 - 11/23/11 09:04 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
No one is looking for stimulating conversation. [/quote]

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

#464433 - 11/23/11 09:09 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
Well, that didn't work as expected. Still trying to figure out how to get a quote text-box into my post.

However, Warlock Roho_the_Rooster said this, "No one is looking for stimulating conversation."

And perhaps that's true. Quite often "proselytic" people will ask that, or a similar, question not for stimulating rational discussion, but as a springboard into their "convert or burn" speech.

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements