Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#464434 - 11/23/11 09:16 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
About 15 years ago I was admitted to hospital [pneumonia]. It was regarded as serious and a nurse came along with a form to fill in. Name and address of lawyers who held my will. Then the nurse asked my religion; I replied “Atheist”.

She asked me how to spell it.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#464435 - 11/23/11 09:20 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
The nurse learned a very useful word that day. Wonder if she looked it up in the dictionary after her shift?

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

#464436 - 11/23/11 09:20 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Marie V Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Estonia
Happily (at least in that matter) living in Estonia, according to last year's statistics and some BBC documentary, we're the the most atheistic country in the world, with only...I think it was under 10% of the population considering themselves religious (meaning christians, jews, russian orthodox alltogether). Church and state are strictly separated accoriding to our constitution, so no office asks you...and quite frankly, neither does anyone else.
So...smooth sail.

#464437 - 11/23/11 09:22 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Zaftig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I am not sure if this is true today; but, growing up in a small mill town, in South Carolina, when you moved into a new area, the second question you were asked was, "What church do you go to?"

The first question was, "Where y'all from?"

To be fair, in that particular context, I don't think rudeness really comes into play. Some simply want to tell you where the local church of your flavor is located. Yes...there is the ignorance of thinking that particular piece of information gives them a quick way to peg you. And, yes, an answer such as atheist, satanist, or, if they are true southerners, Catholic is a guarantee that they will spread misinformation about you. But they are genuinely surprised, as well. They think they are being neighborly, and want to give you courtesy of thinking that you are decent folks...which, in a mill town in South Carolina, means either Baptist or a Holy Roller.

Some people simply need to be controversial. Not sure why. Maybe this is childish, but I kind of getting a kick being in a group and thinking, "If they only knew what I was thinking". Besides...I am weird enough on my own,without adding religion to the mix. Just look at my attempts at "humor".

And, yes. I have been asked about religion when filling out forms at emergency rooms. Probably because the ones I go to are connected to hospitals.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#464438 - 11/23/11 09:27 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Very interesting. As I'm on another chat, I was just asked "Hey, are you a Christian?" Here's a live demonstration. I replied, "Why do you ask?" He's looking for help with some issues. I replied a second time, "And you need a Christian for that?" He logged out before I could get a reply.

Another example of sheep staying in the pen. I would have bee glad to offer any assistance, granted he was worthy of it.

#464442 - 11/23/11 10:05 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Oh, I usually say, "It's complicated," and try to change the subject.

In a pinch, I'll say I'm an atheist, an agnostic, or that my parents are Catholic and Lutheran, or--when I'm feeling fun and cheeky--that I'm a rationally self-interested Epicurean autodeist, depending.

I prefer to just roll along on the current of people's assumptions. Many people assume I'm Jewish, based on my mannerisms and humor, while others clearly believe I'm Christian, based on the fact that I'm (as several people have told me) "so nice." One person memorably thought I was Baha'i, while another assumed I was Quaker. Often, those on the ball will correctly infer that I'm an atheist or agnostic from my analytical thinking style, and my intense interest in science.

And there you have it.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#464443 - 11/23/11 10:21 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TrojZyr]
Bet'phage Offline

Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
when I'm feeling fun and cheeky--that I'm a rationally self-interested Epicurean autodeist, depending.

Well said. Have fun with it. Why not? Getting someone to rattle their head in surprise, switching on a different perspective in their minds, can't be too bad of a thing. But sometimes not having to pander to "the surprised" is a welcome relief.

#464445 - 11/23/11 10:52 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: CWH]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
I have a question about you military personnel.

If you had a chance to change your "religious preference" to christianity or judaism so that you can have from one to five or so days of rest while everybody else gets hammered by the Drill Instructors, would you do it? coopdevil

I was wondering because someone from the military once told me that it was suggested to him when he enlisted.

On the initial topic question, I said "I have no religious preference."

That is so I don't have to explain something that's really personal and precious to me.

Edited by LordofDarkness (11/23/11 12:49 PM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#464446 - 11/23/11 11:07 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
My answer is a flat out "No." when asked if I am religious.

The fact is, I can't think of something more fucking boring to talk about with people than religious beliefs or philosophies - mainly because I am not interested in theirs.

There is the odd person, usually family members, who I get into discussions like this with. But the longer I have been a CoS member, the more hidden I wish that part of me to remain. The reasons to share that aspect of my personality are becoming less and less. I went through a serious case of first phase Satanism where I found the whole concept fascinating and wanted to share it, but I realized over time; other people generally don't care anyways, and if they don't react negatively to you, the best you can usually do is "teach" them and answer their many questions. And to put it bluntly, I don't feel like doing that.

My own perspective hasn't changed, and the more I read about Satanism as the years go on, the more it seems to jive and make sense. I feel like I am going through a stage of maturation in my life, and after having sat down with The Satanic Bible again recently, it was almost like reading a whole new book. But that is a very personal experience that I no longer share even with my wife. Apart from when she sees me hanging around on this forum, there is absolutely nothing else I do to remind her of my chosen religion.

#464450 - 11/23/11 11:24 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TTM]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Quote:

I'm the same, my dog tags say 'NRE' (No Religious Affiliation) and whenever asked on paperwork I simply put that. In the Canadian Forces Satanism isn't recognized but if it was I would probably list it on my dog tags

If you write a memo up your COC you can pretty much put anything on your tags. A buddy of mine has "Jedi".

Edited by tovasshi (11/23/11 11:24 AM)

#464451 - 11/23/11 11:28 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LordofDarkness]
TTM Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: LordofDarkness
I have a question about you military personnel.

If you had a chance to change your "religious preference" to christianity or judaism so that you can have from one to 5 or so days of rest while everybody else gets hammered by the Drill Instructors, would you do it? coopdevil

I was wondering because someone from the military once told me that it was suggested to him when he enlisted.

I'm sure it's been done. Me personally, not something I'd do.

One of the things I like about the Army, religious freedom takes a back seat to operational requirements. The military is very accommodating with regards to religious practices, we have kosher rations, Sekh's and others can wear a turban and grow beards but those are when your nice and comfy at home, when you deploy you may have to give those up.

Can't get kosher meals in Afghanistan? Too bad, eat what's available. Gas masks won't give you a proper seal with facial hair so if required you'll have to shave off your beard and most likely you won't be off for religious holidays.

#464453 - 11/23/11 11:37 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Has anyone ever asked you what your religious preference is?

If someone asked me my "religious preference", I'd mock them so thoroughly they'd wish they hadn't asked.

#464461 - 11/23/11 12:48 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Teufelhund Offline

Loc: Kansas
My standard response is "I'm not a religious person."

I've been asked that question twice by coworkers over the years. A nice lady in our operations department asked when I first started, and then the guy who took my old job after I was promoted asked a few months ago. I assumed that the questions were being used as simple conversation starters, so they got the standard response. After they were able to wrap their minds around someone not actually being religious, we found less provocative topics to discuss like baking, movies, and general computer nerdery.

The only times that I will tell someone that I am a Satanist is either when I am comfortable with the person (friends or family), or I want to watch the person squirm as they try to balance personal conviction with cordiality. The best time to tell the latter is after the first impression has been made, and they are comfortable.

#464462 - 11/23/11 12:50 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TTM]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Oh well... It'll probably be fun during boot camp though. Please mind my recent correction on my post. laugh

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#464464 - 11/23/11 12:54 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LordofDarkness]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Loc: NC
If I was given that option during basic training, I wouldn't have taken it because I wouldn't want to be thought of as a "shammer." I suppose that during basic training I simply wanted to learn what was necessary in order to graduate. Also I wanted to be in "tip top" shape so that I wouldn't struggle with the physical fitness test.

"Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW!"

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12020 Members
73 Forums
43830 Topics
405230 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements