Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#464513 - 11/24/11 12:51 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
It's also amazing, in a good way, that so many here answer the question of "religious preference" in the way that suits them best. As that odious apostle of the Nazarene once observed: "Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light."

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

#464670 - 11/26/11 01:33 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
SAQOA Offline

I always just answer 'I belive in my own god' - Because im still unsure of what to belive in

I belive all gods/angels/devils/demons exist, or 'have' existed, or we just cant see them.

But i belive IN, Dazhbog/Baphomet/Christian father god. has in have a strong gut feeling they exist

#464678 - 11/26/11 04:33 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Hexai Offline

Loc: Philippines
I have no religion, haha! i hate hypocrite people!! Haha!

#464680 - 11/26/11 05:52 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: SAQOA]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
I belive all gods/angels/devils/demons exist, or 'have' existed, or we just cant see them.

But i belive IN, Dazhbog/Baphomet/Christian father god. has in have a strong gut feeling they exist

You need to read The Satanic Bible.
Prevention of Virtue

#464688 - 11/26/11 10:29 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LKRice]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: LKRice
Quote:

You need to read The Satanic Bible.

First, he needs to learn how to read (and write). laugh

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#464732 - 11/26/11 10:09 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Stabu Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: Alonocus Blight
Has anyone ever asked you what your religious preference is?

What did you tell them?

This is a pretty complicated issue. From where I come from there are only three appropriate answers: Protestant, Orthodox or None. Your answer determined what classes you were forced to take in school and how your military service would look like etc. Back there I answered consistently that I was an atheist, because it did not carry a (very) negative connotation.

Since I immigrated to the US, I began tackling this question based on who asks. If I'm asked this by a coworker/client/fellow businessman, I tend to answer "I grew up Lutheran", if he/she keeps asking my next line of defense is "I go to an Episcopal/Anglican church" (which is true) and if I still feel forced to talk more about my beliefs I just tell him/her that I'm not interested in this topic and explain that someone may be very passionate about (horse) polo, but there are others who aren't and I am one of them. I've learned to never mention the A or S word in these contexts. The "don't ask, don't tell" line is of course a good policy when it come to religious/political opinions in business, but invoking that when someone asks about your religious preferences, usually just makes the other party think that there's something wrong with you and that I must be hiding something (which I am). I do not tend to lie about the truth, because it becomes progressively harder to remember what you have lied to each person when you interact with hundreds on a weekly basis.

If a healthcare/census worker (or similar) asks me that question, I just promptly answer "none". I've told most of my friends that I'm an atheist and only to a very small handful that I'm really a satanist.

I keep getting some puzzling questions from semi-strangers about my beliefs because of the brimstone/satanic cross necklace I carry around, but so far I've been able to avoid it by referring to the Lorraine cross, tree of life, alchemy sign etc.

#464748 - 11/27/11 12:32 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LKRice]
Nyabys6 Offline

Deleted

Edited by LKRice (11/27/11 03:35 AM)

#464753 - 11/27/11 02:59 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LordofDarkness]
TTM Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: LordofDarkness
Oh well... It'll probably be fun during boot camp though. Please mind my recent correction on my post. laugh

Looking back I enjoyed my time in Basic training. I can understand not listing it on your paperwork, especially when doing so means you'll be berated with questions on something you consider private and personal. First time a friend saw I had a copy of The Satanic Bible and learned I was a Satanist they, like most people, assumed it involved worshiping the devil, sacrifices and a few other misconceptions I had to clear up.

#464778 - 11/27/11 01:50 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Pick666 Offline

Loc: California
I usually just tell them that I don't care to discuss it with them. If they push, I tell them it isn't any of their business, then walk away. Keep in mind, I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. Had to learn to dodge those kind of questions with my very christ-y brother and grandparents...

#464788 - 11/27/11 03:25 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Pick666]
My_Charge Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
For some reason I have a lot of people ask me that question. I normally reply (like I said in my intro) with "I won't be going to heaven because of ignoring god. This normally ends the conversation.

Sometimes they counter with "Why are you ignoring god" my quick answer is that I take responsibility for my actions and have decided to use my energy to become the best I can on this world.

HS

#464809 - 11/27/11 10:38 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LordofDarkness]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
In the Marine Corps boot camp you get to choose on Sundays what and where you would like to attend. You either get to stay back in the squad bay and have "free time" or go to a religious service of your choosing (standard Jewish, Catholic, or Protestant).

"Free time" is said to be used for writing letters to family and catching up with laundry or other personal chores. But in reality it is spent with the DIs tormenting you for two hours while everyone else is singing stupid songs in some silly church. So, after a bit of fun "free time" guess what I chose? Yep, church . . .

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#464810 - 11/27/11 11:06 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Pick666 Offline

Loc: California
Discipline, I did the exact same thing. I hadn't found the CoS yet, but I sure as hell wasn't Christian. But church gets you away from DIs so...

#464822 - 11/28/11 06:09 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Discipline]
My_Charge Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Discipline

"Free time" is said to be used for writing letters to family and catching up with laundry or other personal chores. But in reality it is spent with the DIs tormenting you for two hours while everyone else is singing stupid songs in some silly church. So, after a bit of fun "free time" guess what I chose? Yep, church . . .

Call me crazy, but I attended the church to have the ability to have contact with girls in the Army. I read through the "free" time in a hurry.

#464825 - 11/28/11 07:50 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: My_Charge]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I went to MCRD San Diego where there are no female Marines. Female Marines are trained on the East Coast. frown

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#464828 - 11/28/11 08:38 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Discipline]
Teufelhund Offline

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Discipline
But in reality it is spent with the DIs tormenting you for two hours while everyone else is singing stupid songs in some silly church. So, after a bit of fun "free time" guess what I chose? Yep, church . . .

They definitely offer a belief buffet for recruits to sample. I got through years worth of religious discovery in 13 weeks. It was either that, or play Mt. Suribachi in the squad bay with the DIs.

Good times!

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43873 Topics
405551 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements