Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#464853 - 11/28/11 03:03 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Discipline]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

I chose to stay in the squad bay.

I did infact have time to hand wash my laundry (MCRD SD didn't have laundry service like PI) and write a few letters.

I PTed myself quit a bit during "free time" on the pull up bars in the bay. That is probably why I wasn't tourchered as much during that time.

In my platoon, those that were caught actually fucking off got hammered and quarter-decked.]

Look busy and not actually trying to relax and you'll be fine. Worked me for at least.

#464878 - 11/28/11 09:21 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Boot camp was male and female in the same platoon as well as Army, Air Force and Navy mixed. with 3000 people in the complex at any given time, CFLRS Saint Jean sur Richelieu QB looks like a prison.

Surprisingly, not a whole lot of people went to church. Platoons were 60 to 75 people and usually only about up to 5 people of each platoon went, my platoon had 1 guy who went. But also everyone had Saturday/Sunday off no matter what. It was study time for tests and working on kit. There was a lot of emphasis on grades.

If we were more senior and were performing well, we were allowed to leave the base for the weekend. If we messed up, it was COCK (Confirmation of Combat Knowledge) instead of free time.

#464879 - 11/28/11 09:21 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Herr_S Offline

Loc: Mordor
Depends on who, when or why someone's asking.

I'll give lots of different answers.

For example, if it's an overly confident atheist, I'll play xian for the funs of it. If it's a religious person though, I'll usually just try to avoid giving an answer. They tend to treat you with less respect if they know you're not one of them. I won't lie to them but I'll keep them in the dark.

#464888 - 11/28/11 10:04 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: CWH]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
>>MCRD SD didn't have laundry service like PI

At MCRD SD proper, but we had to hand wash our nasty brown stained undies outside in the water line at Pendleton.

>>I PTed myself quit a bit during "free time" on the pull up bars in the bay. That is probably why I wasn't tourchered as much during that time.

Too motto for your own good. I was always the "just motto enough" not to be seen on the DI's radar.

>>ok busy and not actually trying to relax and you'll be fine. Worked me for at least.

That worked great when not in free time. But "free time" trying to actual do things, my DIs couldn't careless. That was their "play time". I don't blame them. I would have done the same as a DI.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#464890 - 11/28/11 11:00 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Discipline]
Teufelhund Offline

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Discipline
That was their "play time". I don't blame them. I would have done the same as a DI.

I loved to watch my DIs work. I still remember the day that they were allowed to start killing bodies on the quarterdeck. On a warm summer day, as the Company Gunny was giving the Incentive Training brief, you could see a warm smile come over the face of every DI in formation.

From then on out, every second that we weren't in training or church, they were making us strong. It was glorious!

#464894 - 11/28/11 11:21 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Alonocus Blight
Has anyone ever asked you what your religious preference is?

What did you tell them?

My first response to such a question would be, "You mean, what my RELIGION is?" Because "religious preference" sounds more like a euphemism to me. But I digress.

It's extremely rare that I'm ever asked what my religion is, due to the personal nature of the question itself. I sure as hell never get asked it in a professional setting, like the office. If I'm at work and conversation seems to steer itself into the direction of religion or politics, I simply say "I don't discussion religion or politics in the work place." And I don't talk to my neighbors long enough for the topic to come up.

This means that on that very rare occasion when I do get asked the question, it's usually by somebody whom I've come to trust, isn't a co-worker nor somebody I'm professionally networking with (at least not in my white-collar life), but still seems level-headed, etc. In this case it's safe to just say "Satanist" and give them the 60-second run down of what that means and what it doesn't mean.

Otherwise my one-word answer is usually "Private". That usually stops any further conversation when I don't want to go down that road. I can't really think of any times when I've resorted to explicitly saying "I'm not religions" (which is a lie; I am religious, just not Christian) or "I'm an atheist". Technically, that latter statement is true. I don't believe in a deity, which by definition makes me an atheist. Of course most people are going to naively assume that if you don't believe in a deity, then you don't have a religion either. But if the conversation has gotten to the point where people assume I'm an atheist, then they can keep assuming that.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#464896 - 11/28/11 11:24 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TheDegenerate]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: TheDegenerate
The fact is, I can't think of something more fucking boring to talk about with people than religious beliefs or philosophies - mainly because I am not interested in theirs.

Personally, I love having objective conversations about religion and philosophy. I've always found them to be fascinating subjects. And I can still do it without revealing the full details of my own personal views, or the "Satanism" label. Unfortunately religion can also be an extremely touchy subject depending on how it's approached and whether the person you're talking to can have an intelligent discussion on it.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#464897 - 11/28/11 11:25 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bet'phage]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Bet'phage
Agreed, Warlock Reprobate. I used that terminology merely to differentiate between the reference to "Theistic Satanism" in Alexandernero666's post and Satanism. Thank you for drawing attention to this.

Again, the term "LaVeyan Satanism" just adds to the confusion. There's no evidence of an actual religion called "Satanism" with practitioners who called themselves "Satanists" that existed before the Church of Satan. So we've got dibs on the term "Satanism". The term "LaVeyan Satanism" is not only redundant, but it implies that there are different forms of Satanism and thus devil worshipers and the like get to use the term too. They're not entitled to that.

#464898 - 11/28/11 11:28 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Teufelhund]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
I would throw a joke on here right now but I debate on whether or not it is appropriate for a public thread.

So I will just do this. To some of you who have watched Jarhead since we're on the subject of religious preferences versus military, remember that famous quote my Jamie Foxx during Sniper training? cool

Edited by LordofDarkness (11/28/11 11:34 PM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#464932 - 11/29/11 09:52 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bill_M]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: Bill_M
The fact is, I can't think of something more fucking boring to talk about with people than religious beliefs or philosophies - mainly because I am not interested in theirs.

Personally, I love having objective conversations about religion and philosophy. I've always found them to be fascinating subjects. And I can still do it without revealing the full details of my own personal views, or the "Satanism" label. Unfortunately religion can also be an extremely touchy subject depending on how it's approached and whether the person you're talking to can have an intelligent discussion on it.

Agreed! You can learn so much about a person and their psychology from their religious beliefs, or lack thereof.

Well, and unless they're hot to proselytize, I've found that many people will take your silence as tacit agreement, so I've managed to get people to talk for hours about their beliefs, without having to offer mine wink.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#464940 - 11/29/11 10:33 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TrojZyr]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
Well, and unless they're hot to proselytize, I've found that many people will take your silence as tacit agreement, so I've managed to get people to talk for hours about their beliefs, without having to offer mine wink.

Very nice! I find religious discussion stimulating because it does, in fact, reveal so much about the person. I find personal relationships much more rewarding that bothering about the particular details of doctrine (as far as buying into them or not). So understanding a person's belief is certainly a great way to understand the person themselves. And there certainly are a lot of interesting people around! smile

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

#464947 - 11/29/11 12:07 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: tovasshi]
TTM Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: tovasshi
But also everyone had Saturday/Sunday off no matter what. It was study time for tests and working on kit. There was a lot of emphasis on grades.

Nothing was guaranteed when I was there, we had more than a few missed weekends off, even more on SQ and DP1.

I don't think anyone in my platoon of 60 people attended church on Sunday. I've never attended a church service but when on a -52 winter ex or +65 in Afghanistan I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind once or twice.

#464988 - 11/29/11 09:17 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TTM]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Originally Posted By: TTM

Nothing was guaranteed when I was there, we had more than a few missed weekends off, even more on SQ and DP1.

Did you salute the shredder as it ate you leave pass? We had to do that. I did the CFSATE rout and never had to suffer SQ or having my weekends taken away for anything. Our punishments were limited to "weekend duty" for having a bad inspection, which is basically having a normal workday on a Saturday.

#465050 - 11/30/11 01:26 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Luigi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Europe & South America
Originally Posted By: Alonocus Blight
Has anyone ever asked you what your religious preference is?

What did you tell them?

Nobody ever asked me this question directly I think. I usually identify myself as an atheist though. Only a few selected individuals know I'm a Satanist, including some members of this forum and my wife.

#465088 - 12/01/11 03:05 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bill_M]
ElizabethC. Offline

This is the reason I usually say I'm uninterested in religion. I live in a very religious part of the U.S. (the South) and if I said I was an atheist, most people would feel justified in jumping down my throat about Jeebus.

Also, saying you're uninterested in religion drives Evangelicals crazy. It's so important! Everything is about God!

On the rare occasions I do discuss being an atheist with Christians, the typical response is: Why aren't you raping/robbing/killing people?

'Um... because I'm not an asshole? And if a belief in a god is what's keeping you from being one then let me know if you get tired of the one you have and I'll find another one for you. There have been thousands.'

My friends know I'm a Satanist and are fine with it. We've had discussions about it as well as their religions.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406132 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements