Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#464352 - 11/22/11 01:09 PM "So, what's your religious preference?"
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Loc: NC
Has anyone ever asked you what your religious preference is?

What did you tell them?

"Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW!"

#464358 - 11/22/11 02:27 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
Usually when asked this kind of question, I reply with a similar question to test the person's receptiveness to my true position. If the person does not seem receptive, I answer very generically in the way that I think they will most expect. By my own choice, I am somewhat still underground. If they do seem receptive, I might drop a few references to LaVey or a phrase from a Satanic writing to see if there is further receptivity. This usually ends up in a conversation about the universal aspects of human nature, which I can then use as a springboard into LeVayan Satanism, if I deem it prudent to myself.

That being said, I do not proselytize.

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

#464359 - 11/22/11 02:32 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Correction: "LaVeyan Satanism." A thousand pardons.

#464360 - 11/22/11 02:40 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bet'phage]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
The phrase "LaVeyan Satanist" is deprecated here. It's redundant. The Church of Satan's position is that anything that isn't grounded in the writings of Anton LaVey just isn't Satanism.

#464361 - 11/22/11 02:43 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Agreed, Warlock Reprobate. I used that terminology merely to differentiate between the reference to "Theistic Satanism" in Alexandernero666's post and Satanism. Thank you for drawing attention to this.

#464362 - 11/22/11 02:47 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bet'phage]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

It is very likely his post will cease to exist soon enough. Offer no quarter to those types.

#464363 - 11/22/11 02:50 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Well said. Thank you.

#464365 - 11/22/11 02:58 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

My normal responses in this day in age are:

1. Religion is something I do not care to discuss at work. Thank you.

2. Not interested.

3. None of your business.

4. Aliens.

#464366 - 11/22/11 03:05 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Today while I was in-processing into my new unit, we stopped by the chaplain's office because he was also on the "checklist." There were others in the same office. The chaplain asked, "Who wants to go first?" I eagerly raised my hand. His first question was, "What religion is on your ID tags?" I asked the chaplain if I could speak to him privily. It was at that point that the chaplain had the others exit the room and close the door behind them. When he had once again seated himself I told him, "the Church of Satan" is my religious preference. I explained to him why I had asked to speak to him privately. I told him that leadership often frowns upon any religion that isn't considered "orthodox" and that "I don't need the negative attention." I also told him that most of the time I simply tell military personnel that I am an atheist to avoid the drama.

"Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW!"

#464367 - 11/22/11 03:28 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

When I was in the Marine Corps ('98-'07).

My paperwork and tags said Atheist.

I felt no need to explain myself to anyone further than that.

#464368 - 11/22/11 03:38 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

I had to out process the chaplain's office when I ETSed. Prior to that I had either "NO REL PREF" or "WICCA" (I obviously got better) on my dogtags. I had joined the CoS a few months before I got out and since I was on the way out the door I had no problem with telling him I was a Satanist.

No one has felt the need to ask me the question in recent years, but I have confided my preference with a handful of like-minded friends and family members. Judging by some of the comments my coworkers make from time to time, I have a feeling they suspect anyway.
Prevention of Virtue

#464378 - 11/22/11 05:22 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
AdamBomb Offline

It depends what the scenario is, at work when asked, I say I was raised or brought up Catholic, which obviously does not specify I am an Atheist. Outside of work, I'm more of an open Atheist, but the key is to always be respectful to other people's different beliefs. I try not to dumb people down and if they get offended by evolution, that's really their problem and not mine.

#464380 - 11/22/11 05:29 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Where I live, pretty much no one cares. Absolutely everyone who knows me is aware that I have no god beliefs. It's not really an overt thing. It's just that I am really bad at pretending when people say insane things.

There are a very select few who know I am a Satanist. I don't try to hide it. It's just not something that the herd would think of.

But the real truth is...as I posted somewhere else quite a few years ago...I am a confirmed, dyed in the wool Albanian. We worship Jessica Alba, and firmly believe that all of life's problems can be cured by staring at her naval. Seriously.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#464381 - 11/22/11 05:39 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
Roho, could I PM you about getting sponsored into the Albanian faith?

#464384 - 11/22/11 06:06 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Inés Offline

Loc: Germany/Spain
This question is a big deal where I live because you pay taxes accordingly to your religious beliefs and because in school you have to chose between "catholic class", "protestant class" or "ethics class". So when filling out any official paper you always have to mark the religion. We had a person from the EU census at our house and she said,"Religion, catholic right?" Because I am spanish. This seriously bugs the hell out of me. I always say "none", which tends to satisfy people. It's funny how bothered people get by what you might affiliate yourself with. So I hate spinach, go have a fit about it somewhere else please.

#464393 - 11/22/11 07:35 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
"Banana"

Actually that's my answer to most questions.

#464397 - 11/22/11 08:21 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: tovasshi]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

I'm sure that your quick reply keeps 'em guessing. And it shows that you have a good sense of humor...

#464398 - 11/22/11 08:24 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Inés]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

The representative from the EU census stereotyped you. Did that enrage you?

#464403 - 11/22/11 09:20 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
(Carlin listeners will appreciate this, more than others)

I tell them I am a Sun worshipper. But, I pray to Joe Pasci.

If a person knows me, they know my religious affiliation. If they don't, it's none of their damn business.
BUT, I am never without at least one Sigil of Baphomet showing.

#464405 - 11/22/11 10:08 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: DCLXVI]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

If a person saw the Sigil of Baphomet and still asked you what religion you were, they would be considered ignorant (in my humble opinion).

#464409 - 11/23/11 12:13 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

I have a Baphomet tattooed in the center of my chest surrounded by devils and most people are not aware of its meaning. I stayed in the hospital for a week or so and even the doctors asked what it was.
You would be surprised how many people (educated or not) are ignorant of its meaning.

#464415 - 11/23/11 04:23 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: tovasshi]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: tovasshi
"Banana"

Actually that's my answer to most questions.

grin grin grin

Amen.

Originally Posted By: Alonocus Blight

What did you tell them?

No one asks me. At least I don't think they have; I seem to have developed Papa Shade's selective deafness.

Gotta say, the way you phrased it is kind of creepy. Like asking which side of the bed one prefers to sleep on... but with slightly more sinister undertones. I mean, I don't know why anyone would ask that, in that way, unless they were planning my funeral.

So, imagining myself in that situation makes me twitchy. I'd have a strong urge to channel my inner Crispin Glover.

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#464416 - 11/23/11 05:02 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Shade]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

It wasn't my intent for the original question to sound "ultra-creepy;" I was simply foreshadowing an experience that I recently had with a military chaplain. I have to admit though, the fact that you found the question somewhat creepy is kind of cool.

#464417 - 11/23/11 05:04 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Shade]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Also, that's one hilarious scene and I've never seen the movie. What is the title of the movie that goes with that clip?

#464420 - 11/23/11 06:31 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I understand. I didn't think you were being creepy, you were just asking about what one would do or has done in that situation. I do think the question is creepy. Before I remember that people are usually just insufferably nosy I assume they ask a question for a legitimate reason. Like asking what your religious preference is for burial services.

Um. I guess there are non-creepy interpretations though. Like, whether or not you want your kid circumcised. Or if you require a kosher meal on the airplane. That sort of thing.

I don't like personal questions in general though. With obvious exceptions, people usually are just being nosy. I always want to either not hear them, change the subject or willfully misunderstand.

If I'm trying to actually avoid a question though I don't get cute. I just say something that, based on my audience, I gauge as conversation-ender. Nothing piques peoples' interest more than being secretive or mysterious. Cliffhanger 101. And telling someone you're a Satanist is never a conversation-ender.

The movie is Bartleby, inspired by the Melville story. I liked it but I'm totally biased. I adore Crispin Glover.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#464426 - 11/23/11 08:29 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: CWH]
TTM Offline

Originally Posted By: CWH
When I was in the Marine Corps ('98-'07).

My paperwork and tags said Atheist.

I'm the same, my dog tags say 'NRE' (No Religious Affiliation) and whenever asked on paperwork I simply put that. In the Canadian Forces Satanism isn't recognized but if it was I would probably list it on my dog tags, it's not something I hide, several military buddies know I'm a Satanist but if some random individual came up and asked I'd most likely tell them it's none of their business.

#464429 - 11/23/11 08:50 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: CWH]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: CWH

And the truth is, no one really cares. It's like going to the hospital. You go to the emergency room, they ask your religion. Why? in case you croak...or Rev. Smiffy has been hired to visit sick folks. No one is looking for stimulating conversation.

#464431 - 11/23/11 08:58 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Do they really ask that in ERs in the US?

I understand asking in a health facility if the situation indicates that death is a possibility, but otherwise, that would never happen here (in Canada).

Related to the original post, it is also very rare that people ask in polite conversation. It is like asking someone's age or sexual orientation; only a rude person would dare act so familiar with a virtual stranger.

It can happen, but it is not usual.

#464432 - 11/23/11 09:04 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Bet'phage Offline

No one is looking for stimulating conversation. [/quote]

#464433 - 11/23/11 09:09 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Well, that didn't work as expected. Still trying to figure out how to get a quote text-box into my post.

However, Warlock Roho_the_Rooster said this, "No one is looking for stimulating conversation."

And perhaps that's true. Quite often "proselytic" people will ask that, or a similar, question not for stimulating rational discussion, but as a springboard into their "convert or burn" speech.

#464434 - 11/23/11 09:16 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
About 15 years ago I was admitted to hospital [pneumonia]. It was regarded as serious and a nurse came along with a form to fill in. Name and address of lawyers who held my will. Then the nurse asked my religion; I replied “Atheist”.

She asked me how to spell it.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#464435 - 11/23/11 09:20 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

The nurse learned a very useful word that day. Wonder if she looked it up in the dictionary after her shift?

#464436 - 11/23/11 09:20 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Marie V Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Estonia
Happily (at least in that matter) living in Estonia, according to last year's statistics and some BBC documentary, we're the the most atheistic country in the world, with only...I think it was under 10% of the population considering themselves religious (meaning christians, jews, russian orthodox alltogether). Church and state are strictly separated accoriding to our constitution, so no office asks you...and quite frankly, neither does anyone else.
So...smooth sail.

#464437 - 11/23/11 09:22 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Zaftig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

I am not sure if this is true today; but, growing up in a small mill town, in South Carolina, when you moved into a new area, the second question you were asked was, "What church do you go to?"

The first question was, "Where y'all from?"

To be fair, in that particular context, I don't think rudeness really comes into play. Some simply want to tell you where the local church of your flavor is located. Yes...there is the ignorance of thinking that particular piece of information gives them a quick way to peg you. And, yes, an answer such as atheist, satanist, or, if they are true southerners, Catholic is a guarantee that they will spread misinformation about you. But they are genuinely surprised, as well. They think they are being neighborly, and want to give you courtesy of thinking that you are decent folks...which, in a mill town in South Carolina, means either Baptist or a Holy Roller.

Some people simply need to be controversial. Not sure why. Maybe this is childish, but I kind of getting a kick being in a group and thinking, "If they only knew what I was thinking". Besides...I am weird enough on my own,without adding religion to the mix. Just look at my attempts at "humor".

And, yes. I have been asked about religion when filling out forms at emergency rooms. Probably because the ones I go to are connected to hospitals.

#464438 - 11/23/11 09:27 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

Very interesting. As I'm on another chat, I was just asked "Hey, are you a Christian?" Here's a live demonstration. I replied, "Why do you ask?" He's looking for help with some issues. I replied a second time, "And you need a Christian for that?" He logged out before I could get a reply.

Another example of sheep staying in the pen. I would have bee glad to offer any assistance, granted he was worthy of it.

#464442 - 11/23/11 10:05 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Oh, I usually say, "It's complicated," and try to change the subject.

In a pinch, I'll say I'm an atheist, an agnostic, or that my parents are Catholic and Lutheran, or--when I'm feeling fun and cheeky--that I'm a rationally self-interested Epicurean autodeist, depending.

I prefer to just roll along on the current of people's assumptions. Many people assume I'm Jewish, based on my mannerisms and humor, while others clearly believe I'm Christian, based on the fact that I'm (as several people have told me) "so nice." One person memorably thought I was Baha'i, while another assumed I was Quaker. Often, those on the ball will correctly infer that I'm an atheist or agnostic from my analytical thinking style, and my intense interest in science.

And there you have it.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#464443 - 11/23/11 10:21 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TrojZyr]
Bet'phage Offline

Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
when I'm feeling fun and cheeky--that I'm a rationally self-interested Epicurean autodeist, depending.

Well said. Have fun with it. Why not? Getting someone to rattle their head in surprise, switching on a different perspective in their minds, can't be too bad of a thing. But sometimes not having to pander to "the surprised" is a welcome relief.

#464445 - 11/23/11 10:52 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: CWH]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
I have a question about you military personnel.

If you had a chance to change your "religious preference" to christianity or judaism so that you can have from one to five or so days of rest while everybody else gets hammered by the Drill Instructors, would you do it? coopdevil

I was wondering because someone from the military once told me that it was suggested to him when he enlisted.

On the initial topic question, I said "I have no religious preference."

That is so I don't have to explain something that's really personal and precious to me.

Edited by LordofDarkness (11/23/11 12:49 PM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#464446 - 11/23/11 11:07 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
My answer is a flat out "No." when asked if I am religious.

The fact is, I can't think of something more fucking boring to talk about with people than religious beliefs or philosophies - mainly because I am not interested in theirs.

There is the odd person, usually family members, who I get into discussions like this with. But the longer I have been a CoS member, the more hidden I wish that part of me to remain. The reasons to share that aspect of my personality are becoming less and less. I went through a serious case of first phase Satanism where I found the whole concept fascinating and wanted to share it, but I realized over time; other people generally don't care anyways, and if they don't react negatively to you, the best you can usually do is "teach" them and answer their many questions. And to put it bluntly, I don't feel like doing that.

My own perspective hasn't changed, and the more I read about Satanism as the years go on, the more it seems to jive and make sense. I feel like I am going through a stage of maturation in my life, and after having sat down with The Satanic Bible again recently, it was almost like reading a whole new book. But that is a very personal experience that I no longer share even with my wife. Apart from when she sees me hanging around on this forum, there is absolutely nothing else I do to remind her of my chosen religion.

#464450 - 11/23/11 11:24 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TTM]
tovasshi Offline

Quote:

I'm the same, my dog tags say 'NRE' (No Religious Affiliation) and whenever asked on paperwork I simply put that. In the Canadian Forces Satanism isn't recognized but if it was I would probably list it on my dog tags

If you write a memo up your COC you can pretty much put anything on your tags. A buddy of mine has "Jedi".

Edited by tovasshi (11/23/11 11:24 AM)

#464451 - 11/23/11 11:28 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LordofDarkness]
TTM Offline

Originally Posted By: LordofDarkness

If you had a chance to change your "religious preference" to christianity or judaism so that you can have from one to 5 or so days of rest while everybody else gets hammered by the Drill Instructors, would you do it? coopdevil

I was wondering because someone from the military once told me that it was suggested to him when he enlisted.

I'm sure it's been done. Me personally, not something I'd do.

One of the things I like about the Army, religious freedom takes a back seat to operational requirements. The military is very accommodating with regards to religious practices, we have kosher rations, Sekh's and others can wear a turban and grow beards but those are when your nice and comfy at home, when you deploy you may have to give those up.

Can't get kosher meals in Afghanistan? Too bad, eat what's available. Gas masks won't give you a proper seal with facial hair so if required you'll have to shave off your beard and most likely you won't be off for religious holidays.

#464453 - 11/23/11 11:37 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

If someone asked me my "religious preference", I'd mock them so thoroughly they'd wish they hadn't asked.

#464461 - 11/23/11 12:48 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Teufelhund Offline

Loc: Kansas
My standard response is "I'm not a religious person."

I've been asked that question twice by coworkers over the years. A nice lady in our operations department asked when I first started, and then the guy who took my old job after I was promoted asked a few months ago. I assumed that the questions were being used as simple conversation starters, so they got the standard response. After they were able to wrap their minds around someone not actually being religious, we found less provocative topics to discuss like baking, movies, and general computer nerdery.

The only times that I will tell someone that I am a Satanist is either when I am comfortable with the person (friends or family), or I want to watch the person squirm as they try to balance personal conviction with cordiality. The best time to tell the latter is after the first impression has been made, and they are comfortable.

#464462 - 11/23/11 12:50 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TTM]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Oh well... It'll probably be fun during boot camp though. Please mind my recent correction on my post. laugh

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

#464464 - 11/23/11 12:54 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LordofDarkness]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

If I was given that option during basic training, I wouldn't have taken it because I wouldn't want to be thought of as a "shammer." I suppose that during basic training I simply wanted to learn what was necessary in order to graduate. Also I wanted to be in "tip top" shape so that I wouldn't struggle with the physical fitness test.

#464466 - 11/23/11 01:39 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: reprobate]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

"Well, my preference is for ancient Roman Bacchanalia, but that has run out of fashion these days. So now I just go with repressive Protestantism, because it matches my tasteful leather shoes."

#464467 - 11/23/11 01:57 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Zaftig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Zaftig
"Well, my preference is for ancient Roman Bacchanalia, but that has run out of fashion these days. So now I just go with repressive Protestantism, because it matches my tasteful leather shoes."

Now that you mention it, I have seem some nice movies of the Spanish Inquisition questioning suspected witches. Questioning them hard. Those very authentic looking young blonde witches. Old school Catholicism.

#464468 - 11/23/11 02:10 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
Now that you mention it, I have seem some nice movies of the Spanish Inquisition questioning suspected witches. Questioning them hard. Those very authentic looking young blonde witches. Old school Catholicism.

And a Witchfinder General who looks like Vincent Price.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#464469 - 11/23/11 02:22 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: MagdaGraham]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: MagdaGraham
Quote:

And a Witchfinder General who looks like Vincent Price.

coopdevil Indeed.

#464470 - 11/23/11 02:34 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I hear ya.

In fact, next time someone hot asks me about it I am going to lament the loss of ancient Isis worship, and suggest a revival of yonic ritual adoration.

#464471 - 11/23/11 02:38 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
I don't think it's ever come up in conversations unless I brought it up, which I rarely do. I often claim to be a Pastafarian if people are taking a census as anyone who knows the term will get a good idea of my religious views without having to say the S word. Anyone else will simply think "lol wut".

The only people who have ever me asked outright are evangelicals. To the end of making these conversations as short as possible I spent some time training myself to recognize who was who. If I'm not in the mood to speak at all I just walk on or ask them to leave me alone, if I am in the mood for it I might engage them in debate by asking why they take their morals from a book claiming rape victims deserve to be executed.

But the benefit of knowing who's asking- If they ask you if you died today would you go to heaven, they're usually Plymouth Brethren and will leave you alone if you tell them you learned where in Bible College. If they ask if you've "been saved" around here they're almost always Catholic and a simple "Yes Sir I have!" will rid you of them. Jehovahs ask the same way but I've never run into one here. If they're on bikes in blue suits they're Mormons and can be dismissed by asking them which ward they attend and then telling them you're taken care of.

Note- The Mormon bit doesn't work as well if they find you drinking or smoking in a Cradle of Filth shirt that says "Jesus is a Cunt". But then, they probably won't be asking if they can speak to you about him.

#464476 - 11/23/11 03:06 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:

What did you tell them?

Yes. I told them my lovely girlfriend, I worship the ground she walks on.

#464480 - 11/23/11 03:36 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Inés Offline

Loc: Germany/Spain
The representative from the EU census stereotyped you. Did that enrage you?

Yes it did.

#464486 - 11/23/11 04:23 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Zaftig]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

I guess the REALLY witty answer would be, "I'd prefer you didn't ask," but as you know, I'm not witty.

#464487 - 11/23/11 05:24 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LordofDarkness]
tovasshi Offline

If you had a chance to change your "religious preference" to christianity or judaism so that you can have from one to five or so days of rest while everybody else gets hammered by the Drill Instructors, would you do it? coopdevil

Not sure how it is in other countries but in Canada it's "The military is your religion" in boot camp they don't care what faith you are, you don't get time off because of it. The only accommodations they allow you is meals (vegetarian or none) and headdress. They don't give Muslims time off to pray in boot camp and the men get kicked out if they take issue with taking orders from or working with women, gay people or people of a different race/religion.

#464488 - 11/23/11 05:35 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: tovasshi]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

If I was given that option during basic training, I wouldn't have taken it because I wouldn't want to be thought of as a "shammer." I suppose that during basic training I simply wanted to learn what was necessary in order to graduate. Also I wanted to be in "tip top" shape so that I wouldn't struggle with the physical fitness test.

That's a good answer. I like reading responses like this because I would like my country to consider improving their combat strength to meet or exceed the Spartans when they fought the Persians.

Not sure how it is in other countries but in Canada it's "The military is your religion" in boot camp they don't care what faith you are, you don't get time off because of it. The only accommodations they allow you is meals (vegetarian or none) and headdress. They don't give Muslims time off to pray in boot camp and the men get kicked out if they take issue with taking orders from or working with women, gay people or people of a different race/religion.

It's the other way around in the United States the last time I heard from a close friend who's been in for ten years. He used his time during the church's worship service to write letters when he was in Army BCT.

Edited by LordofDarkness (11/23/11 05:48 PM)

#464491 - 11/23/11 06:58 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: MagdaGraham]
NaamahPink Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: MagdaGraham
About 15 years ago I was admitted to hospital [pneumonia]. It was regarded as serious and a nurse came along with a form to fill in. Name and address of lawyers who held my will. Then the nurse asked my religion; I replied “Atheist”.

She asked me how to spell it.

Sadly, I have had to explain what "atheist" means more than a few times. Even worse, several of those who needed clarification held masters degrees.

#464495 - 11/23/11 07:45 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
NaamahPink Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Kentucky
I have different answers depending on whose asking and the response I want to evoke with my answer.

At work I allow most of my co-workers to assume I am a Christian like them, because it keeps them out of my hair. The one person at work that knows I am an atheist came about when we unexpectantly ran into each other at Richard Dawkin’s “The Magic of Reality” book signing. It has been nice to have another atheist around to discuss the bizarre cultural norms and probable violations of civil liberties of our employer.

This is the first year that I have had a student persistently ask me my religious opinions, which no surprise came during a lesson on the big bang theory. I simply decided to refuse to discuss my religious opinions. In the past I might have insinuated I was Christian in some subtle way, but I’ve been pissed at some of the things that are going on this year at work and this felt like the appropriate volume of “fuck you” to the cultural norms that are perpetuated. It might have made a few students rethink what they thought they knew about me, but no one has said anything else and it has not altered my classroom culture.

Generally, if I want people to leave me alone I will say “I was raised Baptist/Pentecostal/Christian” which allows them to assume that I am still religious. Sometimes I will say “I am non-denominational “ or I have “no preference”. Oddly, this area is so saturated with homogeneous Christian culture that “no preference” defaults in their mind to “any protestant church”. If I want to be a shit-disturber and see little consequence I will answer honestly.

Amongst acquaintances and folks that move in my social circle I am known to be an atheist, but only my closest friends and of course fellow CoS members know I am a Satanist.

The beautiful thing about being Satanist is there is absolutely no pressure to “represent” the religion to the public. Therefore, as a Satanist I choose to respond to my environment in ways that benefit me or otherwise please me the most. The religion question is no exception.

#464501 - 11/23/11 09:16 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

I totally agree with your last 3 sentences, NaamahPink. I answer each situation differently and however it may benefit me the most.

#464512 - 11/24/11 12:46 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: NaamahPink]
Bet'phage Offline

Originally Posted By: NaamahPink
The beautiful thing about being Satanist is there is absolutely no pressure to “represent” the religion to the public.

Yes! This is such a welcome relief from the proselytizing perspective of the pious!

#464513 - 11/24/11 12:51 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bet'phage Offline

It's also amazing, in a good way, that so many here answer the question of "religious preference" in the way that suits them best. As that odious apostle of the Nazarene once observed: "Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light."

#464670 - 11/26/11 01:33 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
SAQOA Offline

I always just answer 'I belive in my own god' - Because im still unsure of what to belive in

I belive all gods/angels/devils/demons exist, or 'have' existed, or we just cant see them.

But i belive IN, Dazhbog/Baphomet/Christian father god. has in have a strong gut feeling they exist

#464678 - 11/26/11 04:33 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Hexai Offline

Loc: Philippines
I have no religion, haha! i hate hypocrite people!! Haha!

#464680 - 11/26/11 05:52 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: SAQOA]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
I belive all gods/angels/devils/demons exist, or 'have' existed, or we just cant see them.

But i belive IN, Dazhbog/Baphomet/Christian father god. has in have a strong gut feeling they exist

You need to read The Satanic Bible.
Prevention of Virtue

#464688 - 11/26/11 10:29 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LKRice]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: LKRice
Quote:

You need to read The Satanic Bible.

First, he needs to learn how to read (and write). laugh

#464732 - 11/26/11 10:09 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Stabu Offline

Loc: New England

What did you tell them?

This is a pretty complicated issue. From where I come from there are only three appropriate answers: Protestant, Orthodox or None. Your answer determined what classes you were forced to take in school and how your military service would look like etc. Back there I answered consistently that I was an atheist, because it did not carry a (very) negative connotation.

Since I immigrated to the US, I began tackling this question based on who asks. If I'm asked this by a coworker/client/fellow businessman, I tend to answer "I grew up Lutheran", if he/she keeps asking my next line of defense is "I go to an Episcopal/Anglican church" (which is true) and if I still feel forced to talk more about my beliefs I just tell him/her that I'm not interested in this topic and explain that someone may be very passionate about (horse) polo, but there are others who aren't and I am one of them. I've learned to never mention the A or S word in these contexts. The "don't ask, don't tell" line is of course a good policy when it come to religious/political opinions in business, but invoking that when someone asks about your religious preferences, usually just makes the other party think that there's something wrong with you and that I must be hiding something (which I am). I do not tend to lie about the truth, because it becomes progressively harder to remember what you have lied to each person when you interact with hundreds on a weekly basis.

If a healthcare/census worker (or similar) asks me that question, I just promptly answer "none". I've told most of my friends that I'm an atheist and only to a very small handful that I'm really a satanist.

I keep getting some puzzling questions from semi-strangers about my beliefs because of the brimstone/satanic cross necklace I carry around, but so far I've been able to avoid it by referring to the Lorraine cross, tree of life, alchemy sign etc.

#464748 - 11/27/11 12:32 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LKRice]
Nyabys6 Offline

Deleted

Edited by LKRice (11/27/11 03:35 AM)

#464753 - 11/27/11 02:59 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LordofDarkness]
TTM Offline

Oh well... It'll probably be fun during boot camp though. Please mind my recent correction on my post. laugh

Looking back I enjoyed my time in Basic training. I can understand not listing it on your paperwork, especially when doing so means you'll be berated with questions on something you consider private and personal. First time a friend saw I had a copy of The Satanic Bible and learned I was a Satanist they, like most people, assumed it involved worshiping the devil, sacrifices and a few other misconceptions I had to clear up.

#464778 - 11/27/11 01:50 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Pick666 Offline

Loc: California
I usually just tell them that I don't care to discuss it with them. If they push, I tell them it isn't any of their business, then walk away. Keep in mind, I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. Had to learn to dodge those kind of questions with my very christ-y brother and grandparents...

#464788 - 11/27/11 03:25 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Pick666]
My_Charge Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
For some reason I have a lot of people ask me that question. I normally reply (like I said in my intro) with "I won't be going to heaven because of ignoring god. This normally ends the conversation.

Sometimes they counter with "Why are you ignoring god" my quick answer is that I take responsibility for my actions and have decided to use my energy to become the best I can on this world.

HS

#464809 - 11/27/11 10:38 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: LordofDarkness]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
In the Marine Corps boot camp you get to choose on Sundays what and where you would like to attend. You either get to stay back in the squad bay and have "free time" or go to a religious service of your choosing (standard Jewish, Catholic, or Protestant).

"Free time" is said to be used for writing letters to family and catching up with laundry or other personal chores. But in reality it is spent with the DIs tormenting you for two hours while everyone else is singing stupid songs in some silly church. So, after a bit of fun "free time" guess what I chose? Yep, church . . .

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#464810 - 11/27/11 11:06 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Pick666 Offline

Loc: California
Discipline, I did the exact same thing. I hadn't found the CoS yet, but I sure as hell wasn't Christian. But church gets you away from DIs so...

#464822 - 11/28/11 06:09 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Discipline]
My_Charge Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Discipline

"Free time" is said to be used for writing letters to family and catching up with laundry or other personal chores. But in reality it is spent with the DIs tormenting you for two hours while everyone else is singing stupid songs in some silly church. So, after a bit of fun "free time" guess what I chose? Yep, church . . .

Call me crazy, but I attended the church to have the ability to have contact with girls in the Army. I read through the "free" time in a hurry.

#464825 - 11/28/11 07:50 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: My_Charge]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

I went to MCRD San Diego where there are no female Marines. Female Marines are trained on the East Coast. frown

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#464828 - 11/28/11 08:38 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Discipline]
Teufelhund Offline

But in reality it is spent with the DIs tormenting you for two hours while everyone else is singing stupid songs in some silly church. So, after a bit of fun "free time" guess what I chose? Yep, church . . .

They definitely offer a belief buffet for recruits to sample. I got through years worth of religious discovery in 13 weeks. It was either that, or play Mt. Suribachi in the squad bay with the DIs.

Good times!

#464853 - 11/28/11 03:03 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Discipline]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

I chose to stay in the squad bay.

I did infact have time to hand wash my laundry (MCRD SD didn't have laundry service like PI) and write a few letters.

I PTed myself quit a bit during "free time" on the pull up bars in the bay. That is probably why I wasn't tourchered as much during that time.

In my platoon, those that were caught actually fucking off got hammered and quarter-decked.]

Look busy and not actually trying to relax and you'll be fine. Worked me for at least.

#464878 - 11/28/11 09:21 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
tovasshi Offline

Boot camp was male and female in the same platoon as well as Army, Air Force and Navy mixed. with 3000 people in the complex at any given time, CFLRS Saint Jean sur Richelieu QB looks like a prison.

Surprisingly, not a whole lot of people went to church. Platoons were 60 to 75 people and usually only about up to 5 people of each platoon went, my platoon had 1 guy who went. But also everyone had Saturday/Sunday off no matter what. It was study time for tests and working on kit. There was a lot of emphasis on grades.

If we were more senior and were performing well, we were allowed to leave the base for the weekend. If we messed up, it was COCK (Confirmation of Combat Knowledge) instead of free time.

#464879 - 11/28/11 09:21 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Herr_S Offline

Loc: Mordor
Depends on who, when or why someone's asking.

I'll give lots of different answers.

For example, if it's an overly confident atheist, I'll play xian for the funs of it. If it's a religious person though, I'll usually just try to avoid giving an answer. They tend to treat you with less respect if they know you're not one of them. I won't lie to them but I'll keep them in the dark.

#464888 - 11/28/11 10:04 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: CWH]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

>>MCRD SD didn't have laundry service like PI

At MCRD SD proper, but we had to hand wash our nasty brown stained undies outside in the water line at Pendleton.

>>I PTed myself quit a bit during "free time" on the pull up bars in the bay. That is probably why I wasn't tourchered as much during that time.

Too motto for your own good. I was always the "just motto enough" not to be seen on the DI's radar.

>>ok busy and not actually trying to relax and you'll be fine. Worked me for at least.

That worked great when not in free time. But "free time" trying to actual do things, my DIs couldn't careless. That was their "play time". I don't blame them. I would have done the same as a DI.

#464890 - 11/28/11 11:00 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Discipline]
Teufelhund Offline

That was their "play time". I don't blame them. I would have done the same as a DI.

I loved to watch my DIs work. I still remember the day that they were allowed to start killing bodies on the quarterdeck. On a warm summer day, as the Company Gunny was giving the Incentive Training brief, you could see a warm smile come over the face of every DI in formation.

From then on out, every second that we weren't in training or church, they were making us strong. It was glorious!

#464894 - 11/28/11 11:21 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA

What did you tell them?

My first response to such a question would be, "You mean, what my RELIGION is?" Because "religious preference" sounds more like a euphemism to me. But I digress.

It's extremely rare that I'm ever asked what my religion is, due to the personal nature of the question itself. I sure as hell never get asked it in a professional setting, like the office. If I'm at work and conversation seems to steer itself into the direction of religion or politics, I simply say "I don't discussion religion or politics in the work place." And I don't talk to my neighbors long enough for the topic to come up.

This means that on that very rare occasion when I do get asked the question, it's usually by somebody whom I've come to trust, isn't a co-worker nor somebody I'm professionally networking with (at least not in my white-collar life), but still seems level-headed, etc. In this case it's safe to just say "Satanist" and give them the 60-second run down of what that means and what it doesn't mean.

Otherwise my one-word answer is usually "Private". That usually stops any further conversation when I don't want to go down that road. I can't really think of any times when I've resorted to explicitly saying "I'm not religions" (which is a lie; I am religious, just not Christian) or "I'm an atheist". Technically, that latter statement is true. I don't believe in a deity, which by definition makes me an atheist. Of course most people are going to naively assume that if you don't believe in a deity, then you don't have a religion either. But if the conversation has gotten to the point where people assume I'm an atheist, then they can keep assuming that.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#464896 - 11/28/11 11:24 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TheDegenerate]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Originally Posted By: TheDegenerate
The fact is, I can't think of something more fucking boring to talk about with people than religious beliefs or philosophies - mainly because I am not interested in theirs.

Personally, I love having objective conversations about religion and philosophy. I've always found them to be fascinating subjects. And I can still do it without revealing the full details of my own personal views, or the "Satanism" label. Unfortunately religion can also be an extremely touchy subject depending on how it's approached and whether the person you're talking to can have an intelligent discussion on it.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#464897 - 11/28/11 11:25 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bet'phage]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Originally Posted By: Bet'phage
Agreed, Warlock Reprobate. I used that terminology merely to differentiate between the reference to "Theistic Satanism" in Alexandernero666's post and Satanism. Thank you for drawing attention to this.

Again, the term "LaVeyan Satanism" just adds to the confusion. There's no evidence of an actual religion called "Satanism" with practitioners who called themselves "Satanists" that existed before the Church of Satan. So we've got dibs on the term "Satanism". The term "LaVeyan Satanism" is not only redundant, but it implies that there are different forms of Satanism and thus devil worshipers and the like get to use the term too. They're not entitled to that.

#464898 - 11/28/11 11:28 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Teufelhund]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

I would throw a joke on here right now but I debate on whether or not it is appropriate for a public thread.

So I will just do this. To some of you who have watched Jarhead since we're on the subject of religious preferences versus military, remember that famous quote my Jamie Foxx during Sniper training? cool

Edited by LordofDarkness (11/28/11 11:34 PM)

#464932 - 11/29/11 09:52 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bill_M]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Bill_M

Personally, I love having objective conversations about religion and philosophy. I've always found them to be fascinating subjects. And I can still do it without revealing the full details of my own personal views, or the "Satanism" label. Unfortunately religion can also be an extremely touchy subject depending on how it's approached and whether the person you're talking to can have an intelligent discussion on it.

Agreed! You can learn so much about a person and their psychology from their religious beliefs, or lack thereof.

Well, and unless they're hot to proselytize, I've found that many people will take your silence as tacit agreement, so I've managed to get people to talk for hours about their beliefs, without having to offer mine wink.

#464940 - 11/29/11 10:33 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TrojZyr]
Bet'phage Offline

Well, and unless they're hot to proselytize, I've found that many people will take your silence as tacit agreement, so I've managed to get people to talk for hours about their beliefs, without having to offer mine wink.

Very nice! I find religious discussion stimulating because it does, in fact, reveal so much about the person. I find personal relationships much more rewarding that bothering about the particular details of doctrine (as far as buying into them or not). So understanding a person's belief is certainly a great way to understand the person themselves. And there certainly are a lot of interesting people around! smile

#464947 - 11/29/11 12:07 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: tovasshi]
TTM Offline

But also everyone had Saturday/Sunday off no matter what. It was study time for tests and working on kit. There was a lot of emphasis on grades.

Nothing was guaranteed when I was there, we had more than a few missed weekends off, even more on SQ and DP1.

I don't think anyone in my platoon of 60 people attended church on Sunday. I've never attended a church service but when on a -52 winter ex or +65 in Afghanistan I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind once or twice.

#464988 - 11/29/11 09:17 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TTM]
tovasshi Offline

Originally Posted By: TTM

Nothing was guaranteed when I was there, we had more than a few missed weekends off, even more on SQ and DP1.

Did you salute the shredder as it ate you leave pass? We had to do that. I did the CFSATE rout and never had to suffer SQ or having my weekends taken away for anything. Our punishments were limited to "weekend duty" for having a bad inspection, which is basically having a normal workday on a Saturday.

#465050 - 11/30/11 01:26 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Luigi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Europe & South America

What did you tell them?

Nobody ever asked me this question directly I think. I usually identify myself as an atheist though. Only a few selected individuals know I'm a Satanist, including some members of this forum and my wife.

#465088 - 12/01/11 03:05 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bill_M]
ElizabethC. Offline

This is the reason I usually say I'm uninterested in religion. I live in a very religious part of the U.S. (the South) and if I said I was an atheist, most people would feel justified in jumping down my throat about Jeebus.

Also, saying you're uninterested in religion drives Evangelicals crazy. It's so important! Everything is about God!

On the rare occasions I do discuss being an atheist with Christians, the typical response is: Why aren't you raping/robbing/killing people?

'Um... because I'm not an asshole? And if a belief in a god is what's keeping you from being one then let me know if you get tired of the one you have and I'll find another one for you. There have been thousands.'

My friends know I'm a Satanist and are fine with it. We've had discussions about it as well as their religions.

#465112 - 12/01/11 02:36 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: ElizabethC.]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Originally Posted By: ElizabethC.
This is the reason I usually say I'm uninterested in religion. I live in a very religious part of the U.S. (the South) and if I said I was an atheist, most people would feel justified in jumping down my throat about Jeebus.

This goes back to what I said about "whether the person you're talking to can have an intelligent discussion" about religion. Some Christians can; many can't. It's the same with people and politics, for the same reasons. If a person has deep emotional convictions that get to myopic levels, and claim to know what precise rules are in every person's best interest, then the talk gets messy to say the least. You can't really discuss religion too intellectually with somebody who thinks "religious diversity" means having both Southern Baptist and American Baptist.

Quote:
Also, saying you're uninterested in religion drives Evangelicals crazy. It's so important! Everything is about God!

Actually in recent years I've seen born-agains and the like try to claim that they're really against religion too, under the argument that Christianity "isn't a religion" but rather a "relationship with Jesus". This is of course euphemistic bullshit, no different from advertisements that say things like "It's not soap -- it's Dove™!", even if a Dove Beauty Bar™ is visually indistinguishable from soap, is sold in the soap bar aisle, is used in the same exact way, and accomplishes the same task. These Christians secretly realize that calling Christianity a "religion" implies that it's just one choice among many, which it is.

#465150 - 12/01/11 10:45 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

I like to say I'm religious, just to rebel against the current trend of sanctimoniously referring to oneself as "spiritual," because it allows one to think/believe/pretend that they are morally superior to those rigid, boring, judgmental, orthodox "religious types."

#465152 - 12/01/11 11:30 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TrojZyr]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
I like to say I'm religious, just to rebel against the current trend of sanctimoniously referring to oneself as "spiritual," because it allows one to think/believe/pretend that they are morally superior to those rigid, boring, judgmental, orthodox "religious types."

Yes.

True to its adversarial nature, Satanism can be seen as going in the opposite direction of this mentality of wanting to be “spiritual, but not religious”, that seems to have gained popularity in recent years. Satanism is unique in that it is a formalized religion with no need for spirituality.

I find this kind of divergence to be very interesting.

#465179 - 12/02/11 10:16 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Well, even the fundagelicals are having to concede now that religion has been responsible for many ills and evils over the millennia, because it's this very reputation for dogmatism and corruption that's causing their primary customer base to run away from them screaming when they approach bearing tracts and rubbery smiles.

But, you can't just concede that religion can be evil and call it a day, because then you have to concede that you have a capacity for evil, and we can't have that.

So, you do a little dance where you explain that those BAD people were RELIGIOUS, like the Pharisees, but you--you're SPIRITUAL, and therefore, nothing like those rogues, because your intentions are actually PURE, and you're actually really in contact with God this time, honest.

Well, and for everyone else, being "spiritual not religious" allows them to satisfy their needs for myth, magic, ritual, and cosmic connection, without having to conform to a particular structure, and especially, without having see oneself as belonging to the same species as the tyrants and dogmatists of ages past.

"Spiritual" has become good-guy badge, which is why I revel in the bad-guy badge of being "religious."

#465180 - 12/02/11 10:25 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: TrojZyr]
Bet'phage Offline

Best thing Satanism has ever done: allow us to indulge in religion and remain carnal!

Poor Pharisees, always getting the short end of the stick. It's a very interesting study to give the Pharisees the benefit of the doubt and understand how faithfulness to the Law of Moses propelled them to get rid of the "poser" Messiah.

#465184 - 12/02/11 12:31 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: John Prophet]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Originally Posted By: John Prophet
True to its adversarial nature, Satanism can be seen as going in the opposite direction of this mentality of wanting to be “spiritual, but not religious”, that seems to have gained popularity in recent years.

I wrote an article about this topic for Not Like Most a few years ago, called "Religious, but not Spiritual". People use phrases like "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual" because they think that this somehow puts them above the fray. It's right up there with claiming to be against "organized religion". Notice that they never bother to define what that even is. Is an "organized" religion just any religion that has a name and more than 5 practitioners? Does that leave everything else as "disorganized religion"?

And as I've already said, what's even more pathetic is that you see the Jesus freaks trying to get in on this. I have actually heard some of them say things like "I believe in God, the Bible, and Jesus as my personal savior, and I pray every day and go to a non-denominational church...but oh please, don't say I'm 'religious'! My relationship with Jesus isn't a 'religion'! Goodness no!" Sorry Sparky, but when you do all those sorts of things, that's called "religion". I guess some people think that religion is a label that only applies to other people.

Yet another phrase I hear is from people who claim to have "their own religion". I've noticed that most of the people who use phrases like this are just too disorganized and impatient to do most things, and have this fear-driven compulsion of never committing themselves to an idea for fear of it being some kind of conformity or sacrifice of individuality. Like LaVey said of pseudo-Buddhists, "no one can pin them down if there are no straight answers that can be given!"

#465187 - 12/02/11 01:10 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bill_M]
Bet'phage Offline

It would seem that most people who claim to be "spiritual" but not religious are shirking one very important aspect of most religions: the social aspect. Most religions have beliefs about the mystical unity and connectedness of their members, Christianity in particular.

[Edited: I'm assuming many of the non-religious people are such because of their dislike of organized religions. However, these "spiritual" people use the very same sacred books, doctrines, and practices of those organized religions they so detest. And being so "spiritual," how do they think their god feels about them neglecting fellowship with his other children?]

I remember when the whole trend of "religion=legalistic duty" vs. "spiritual= relationship" came about. People thought that if they claimed to be "religious," it was tantamount to a complete lack of personal acquaintance with the deity. For any self-respecting Christian this meant you were on the "outside" looking in.

To claim to be "spiritual" was to be a sincere believer who actually "loved" their god, rather than just demonstrating an "outward" (and hypocritical) show.

It seems to betray a basic misunderstanding of what the word "religion" means. But I guess that's how language evolves. In the 1800s, when a person was said to "have religion" it meant exactly what being "spiritual" means today.

Edited by Bet'phage (12/02/11 01:24 PM)

#465190 - 12/02/11 01:53 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Warlock Rikard Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: NJ
Here in NJ, no one cares, and few ask. I can't even remember the last time someone asked me to be honest. When my Baphomet was visible people did ask on occasion, and when they did, I would mess with them and simply respond with, "If you have to ask, then you don't want to know"

My pendants and rings are no longer on public display, and I have not been asked once since.

Most everyone that knows me also knows that I have no belief in god. A choice few know a bit more.

Edited by Warlock Rikard (12/02/11 02:05 PM)

Screamin Demon Fiery Foods:
Purveyors of the Most Sinister Hot Sauces & Fiery Foods Since 2001
www.screamindemonfieryfoods.com

#465233 - 12/03/11 03:59 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I'm rarely involved in situations where such question is made, but I usually put "none" when filling forms. It saves me time and explanations.

As for online network profiles, I once made the mistake of putting "Atheist" and I had my mailbox flooded with all kind of invitations to join communist groups and requests for support/donations to every kind of politically correct masturbation circle. So now I go with "skeptic but not angry".

#465845 - 12/11/11 10:57 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
One Man Army Offline

Loc: Beyond Understanding...
Most of the times I am asked for my religious preference it sounds with a glimpse of distrust or suspicion, which forces me to react with equal distrusting and makes me choose my words even wiser. Anyway, atheism is the common answer.
I do not fear standing up for my beliefs, but prefer to avoid this topic in an environment, where my words will sound more as an apology rather as an argument. With other words - if someone asks me about religion while lifting an eye-brow and looking at my pendant, I simply will joke about it or ignore it. Just a bit tired of wasting my time on explaining which idea stands behind the symbols I wear or clothes I like.
"It is better to maintain silence and make others think you are a fool, than opening your mouth and convincing others you are one."

#465851 - 12/11/11 01:03 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
I think this question is not so relevant in finnish cukture and we discuss about our religious view quite rarely.

Finland is mostly protestant Christian country where almost 70% of population belongs to church and other religioins (including atheism as a "choice") have the rest.

When I discuss about my religious views I normally would say something blurry like "I dont belong to christian church" if thats not enough for the asker (as it usually is) I can say I am a satanist or then just may tell that my religious view is atheistic and I dont worship any gods.

To me question about satanism is not any secret to hold, but I dont still feel much interest to talk about it to people, thats mostly just because I dont think that I should speak about this issue for somebody who doesnt know about philosophy of satanism and like to keep this off my normal discussions.

Still if someone asks I may tell or tell not depending my own feelings. Atheist is the most common answer when asked my religious view..

#465859 - 12/11/11 03:28 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
ElizabethC. Offline

Anton LaVey said...somewhere, I can't find the exact quote--that he didn't like entertaining people. That, once they found out he was a Satanist, they wanted to talk about that and only that, which put him in the position of entertaining a person he had no interest in engaging with in the first place.

This is how I feel, as well. I don't want to get into a conversation of that depth with most people so I say I'm an atheist when conversing with the general population.

#465881 - 12/12/11 04:48 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: ElizabethC.]
One Man Army Offline

Loc: Beyond Understanding...
Originally Posted By: ElizabethC.
Anton LaVey said...somewhere, I can't find the exact quote--that he didn't like entertaining people. That, once they found out he was a Satanist, they wanted to talk about that and only that, which put him in the position of entertaining a person he had no interest in engaging with in the first place.

I must admit, I noticed this too. It seems like people start thinking if you think different you also breathe or walk different and they have to approach you in a 'special' way. When they do that, I feel like a clown dancing before them, while my views cannot be called laughable. I think this is something all of us will have to deal with, sooner or later.

The rules may be theirs, but the game is always mine.

"A wise man with one eye sees more, than a fool with both." - Odin, the One-Eyed God.

#465916 - 12/12/11 03:24 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I try not to talk about it. Mostly because (as LaVey notes) most people don't know what a Satanist really is and once they meet one, that's all they want to talk about.

Religion is a topic that comes up at work a lot because we have a lot of muslims and they love to talk about Allah. When asked I just say that I'm "basically an atheist". The next question is usually "so you don't have a religion?" I like to counter with "I have a belief system but it's not anything that you are likely to be familiar with." That shuts most people down.

One or two of my co-workers have figured a few things out about me but they don't press the issue. I'll respond to just about any question that is posed to me but I won't necessarily answer it. In many areas of my life, I'm a private person.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#465933 - 12/12/11 10:29 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
misanthropichero Offline

For me, this question only comes up at work.

I would say 98% of the people I work with are some form of christian, so when it is a serious situation I usually respond I am catholic, the conversation usually drops after that.

But When I am feeling playful, I tell them I am a rastafarian.

#466236 - 12/16/11 04:44 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
303vegas Offline

Loc: Lancashire, UK

What did you tell them?

depends who's asking and what mood i'm in. i'd say im a Satanist (obv...) with a nod to the nordic. i like that kinda stuff, runes and what-have-you.

it's not neccessarily something i'd want to blab all over the place, not because i'm ashamed but because, in general, people don't know anything about us. everyone knows about the semitic religions and maybe a bit about paganism but when it comes to Satanism then brains get thron on the floor and stereotypes are siezed upon. i work for the nhs but i'm not exactly sure what the policy is. there's all sorts of guff about equality and what-not but most nhs procedures to do with dealing with people are merely a legal requirement and don't translate to the real world. i would have thought that if it's good enough for the royal navy it's good enough for the nhs but then again i'm being sensible here - a rare comodity in my line of work.

#466305 - 12/17/11 12:42 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
-Ember- Offline

Loc: Mississippi

What did you tell them?

Don't ask, don't tell is what I go by. If religion ever comes up as a subject at work I generally remain quiet. If I do get asked for my opinion I give a blunt quick answer. I do have friends that I can be completely open with. One of them being catholic. My friends and I rarely discuss religion because we are all very different.

There was only one time someone just came out and asked me my preference. An old boss of mine. I knew enough about my boss that I replied, Satanist. And like I guessed, she just accepted it and we discussed it a little bit because she was curious.

#476884 - 07/18/12 04:41 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
mexluver2012 Offline

I just say athiest however my hobby is studying religions and why people join. For me the people's temple has been to most fascinating study yet.

#476886 - 07/18/12 05:21 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

That's a fascinating hobby, Mexluver. A common and safe response for Satanists and a general, half-truth is the reply, "atheist." I'm very pleased to see that this thread is still going. It is an interesting question indeed. It seems as though we Satanists are obligated to use lesser magic in order to "feel people out." We know that a magician never shares his or her secrets, and if they choose to, it's only with a trusted individual.

Edited by Alonocus Blight (07/18/12 06:27 AM)

#476898 - 07/18/12 02:11 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

It greatly depends on who I'm talking to.

Once I was at bus terminal on a trip and a gang banger was all "What's up Blood" (literal: Wut up blud?) because the five pointed star is a gang symbol for them. We had an interesting talk about vengeance, reputation, money and bitches. I'm sure I left him with much food for thought on Machiavellian leadership principles.

Most of my friends are aware of my affiliations and perspectives.

I don't talk about it unless I find it's going to entertain me. If it isn't going to entertain me then my answer is "I'm an Atheist." If they want to debate that then my answer is "I simply don't care." There's no point in discussing the finer points of Life, the Universe, and Everything with someone that hasn't got past the basics.

And frankly nothing pisses off religious people more than considering their most important questions as being pointless, a waste of time and boring. "Apatheism" is far more enraging than Atheism.

Too bad Apatheism does not roll off the tongue at all.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#476902 - 07/18/12 04:57 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Insurgent]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Originally Posted By: Insurgent

And frankly nothing pisses off religious people more than considering their most important questions as being pointless, a waste of time and boring. "Apatheism" is far more enraging than Atheism.
Apatheism does not roll off the tongue at all.

You are absolutely right. Furthermore, if the xtian debaters show up in my yard, my response to their questions is simply, "I'm not interested in what you have to sell; I am busy; please go away now." If that doesn't do the trick, then a "door in the face" WILL.

Edited by Alonocus Blight (07/18/12 05:12 PM)

#476912 - 07/18/12 09:40 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Wolfe
Unregistered

Last time I was asked this question, I replied, loud and proud, "I'm a Satanist." The christian woman was too stupid to understand what that means anyway. It's a bit like saying I like heavy metal music, in that the person kind of smiles and has no clue what I'm talking about.

Of course, I live in a country that is predominantly buddhist and non-English speaking. My answer would more likely be "athiest" in different situations and locations. Most people find the answer "none" difficult to comprehend. Best to avoid these kinds of talks anyway.

#477120 - 07/21/12 10:20 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

That's a fascinating hobby, Mexluver. A common and safe response for Satanists and a general, half-truth is the reply, "atheist." I'm very pleased to see that this thread is still going. It is an interesting question indeed. It seems as though we Satanists are obligated to use lesser magic in order to "feel people out." We know that a magician never shares his or her secrets, and if they choose to, it's only with a trusted individual.

I can see this thread is brought back from death though I already assumed it was buried.

Atheist as a word is interesting when we talk about Satanism, cause Satanism starts from being an Atheist, like our High Priest Magus Gilmore, and many others as well has been stating many times.

Many assume that being an atheist means you are opposite to being for example the Satanist (aka they assume that if one is atheist, it is all what there is for the person) but Atheism only means you do not hold faith in any deity.

That is why Atheist as a term is so simple for Satanist, you do not have to lie or color the truth when you are simply atheist in the eyes of others. You give them truth by that answer when they ask about your religious preference and usually the discussion about the issue stops there cool

#477157 - 07/22/12 01:43 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Janina]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Janina, it seems as if you have finally laid this topic to rest. However, if this topic is anything like Jason Voorhees, we may see it rise again...

Edited by Alonocus Blight (07/22/12 02:09 PM)

#477161 - 07/22/12 02:38 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Janina, it seems as if you have finally laid this topic to rest. However, if this topic is anything like Jason Voorhees, we may see it rise again...

Like te Fenix from the ash..

But seriously Alonocus, your commenting awakened my interest to the issue again and this thread has been very fun and educational to follow.. wink

#477182 - 07/22/12 08:04 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bill_M]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
Originally Posted By: Bill_M

I sure as hell never get asked it in a professional setting, like the office.

Good, I personally believe such questions are unprofessional. My office actually instructs leaders to sway such conversations.

I'm almost never asked that question, depending on my assessment of the other person's stability, I generally either say I'm an Atheist, or I tell them I love Jesus. The sad thing is I know the Holy Bible better than most of the bible thumpers I run into.

#477190 - 07/22/12 09:23 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Mr_47]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Mr_47

The sad thing is I know the Holy Bible better than most of the bible thumpers I run into.

So do I. I read the book just to know what's in there. Now when I know it I could never believe it!

In our culture religion is not common issue in discussions between people in job or anywhere else. Here it is not even big issue in elections. For that reason the most probable situation where somebody would ask the question would be in places like railwaystation or airport where converters try to hunt the lost souls! Here where I live people think it as private information and though most are interested about issues like religious preference it is not question you ask in cafe table discussion with others..

The most usual situation to end up to religion is when somebody finds faith or loses it and wants to talk about it.. wink

#478431 - 08/08/12 01:51 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
TheMerryRose Offline

Loc: the City Of Sin.
It really depends on what i'm looking to get out of the conversation. All my friends and immediate family allready know my "religion", as do the local jehovah witness.

In the millitary I was a southern baptist and around my grandma I still am. (I love my grandma and the shock would probably kill her.)

As for the "holy bible" I think it's the biggist load of shit ever sold. I mean evan if it was true WTF! I'm an all powerfull god but I will just have to nail my son to a cross for three days because I love him and you guys so much! vomit

Edited by TheMerryRose (08/08/12 02:17 AM)

#478442 - 08/08/12 07:34 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Piru Offline

It's very wise to not talk to anyone about your religion especially when you're a Satanist , some people can not see the world through your eyes and others will use the information against you.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements