Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#464636 - 11/25/11 05:19 PM Concerning the Ouija board
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

I was wondering how all the Satanists here feel about the Ouija board. I've never believed in it before, but a few days ago my girlfriend told me about the last time she ever used it with her friend and her friends mother. They were at her friends house late one night several years ago, well before I knew her, and they were asking the board questions. One of the 'spirits' was responding so they asked it about itself. It went on to say how it was a little girl that died in the house many years ago, how her father was, how she died, and some history of the house. They wrote this stuff down and the next day the mother did some research online, and all the information the 'spirit' had given was accurate in every detail. The family had no real information on the history of the house, and the girl they were 'talking' to had lived in the house decades ago, well before they moved in, so there was no way they could have planned it out. They were all very scared and have never touched one since.

My question is, do you think it actually works? I've never used one so I don't have anything to really go on. Like I said earlier, I never really believed it never having been very superstitious and always quite skeptical.
-Fry Futurama
Crocodilians take better care of their young then a lot of parents I know.
-Dr. Brady Barr

#464640 - 11/25/11 05:31 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
No.

#464641 - 11/25/11 05:56 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
That's how I feel. They are a neat toy, nothing more.

#464651 - 11/25/11 09:07 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
thorn9 Offline

I have one, but it really has never done much for me.

But I sure have met an awful lot of people over the years who swear that it opens doors to forces, spirits, powers or whatever. And these people had different backgrounds as far as beliefs from Christians to Atheists to Satanists, but they all agree on one thing. And that is that the Ouija Board should be banned as it is dangerous!

#464653 - 11/25/11 09:15 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
CoffinRust Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Hatred_Incarnate
My question is, do you think it actually works?

Yes, as a delightful decorative element to create a "spooky" atmosphere in one's home, apt for making certain superstitious and gullible visitors pleasantly uncomfortable.

But that's all they do.

CoffinRust.com | On Facebook | On Undercroft | The Compleat Witch Illustrated Bibliography

The Church of Satan Baphomet Altarpiece
The ONLY Altarpiece endorsed by the Church of Satan, using the Trademarked CoS Sigil of Baphomet.
A percentage from each piece sold is proudly paid directly to the organization for this privilege.
Do not accept imitations!

#464654 - 11/25/11 09:29 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: CoffinRust]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
As I recall, what lurks directly beneath your Ouija board may be what causes visitors discomfort. I'd imagine those okay with her would be okay with the board game.

And I know a board game in your house far, far more likely to summon the wrath of hell wink

#464656 - 11/25/11 10:30 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Delta]
CoffinRust Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Delta
As I recall, what lurks directly beneath your Ouija board may be what causes visitors discomfort. I'd imagine those okay with her would be okay with the board game.

wink I suppose how far something like a Ouija board itself stands out in making superstitious guests uncomfortable is a good test for determining how unsettling the rest of the decor is.

Originally Posted By: Delta
And I know a board game in your house far, far more likely to summon the wrath of hell wink

Ouija boards are for sissies compared to that game!

Edited by CoffinRust (11/26/11 10:51 AM)
Edit Reason: Clarification

CoffinRust.com | On Facebook | On Undercroft | The Compleat Witch Illustrated Bibliography

The Church of Satan Baphomet Altarpiece
The ONLY Altarpiece endorsed by the Church of Satan, using the Trademarked CoS Sigil of Baphomet.
A percentage from each piece sold is proudly paid directly to the organization for this privilege.
Do not accept imitations!

#464660 - 11/25/11 11:31 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I'm sure we've all heard Ouija board stories. I only know one person who claims to have experienced a supernatural event with it, and she is mentally ill. Okay...very excitable. Okay...my mother-in-law.

Stories from people about things that happened a long time ago (boy, is memory a tricky thing), in the middle of the night (stages of wakefulness and sleep is not always as discrete as we think), circling an object with a common expectation (one thing I have been witness to is isolated cases of group hysteria, delusions and hallucination) are dubious, at best.

Have I ever been witness to someone seemingly having information that I nor they can explain the origins? Yes. Is there a better explanation than a ghost? I'm sure. But it would probably not make as good a story.

But I do have a devious side that is more than willing to tell someone I am a practitioner of necromantic arts if I feel the need to mess with them.

Edited by Roho_the_Rooster (11/25/11 11:34 PM)
Edit Reason: Had to fix a mistake made while in an automatic writing trance.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#464664 - 11/25/11 11:44 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
I'm sure we've all heard Ouija board stories.

On that subject I have one and it's a great example of why I'm here.

When I was around 10 my parents sent me to some sort of science themed day camp at the local zoo. During one of the lunch hours a bunch of the older kids (probably early teens but to my mind at the time, nearly grown ups) brought out a Ouija board. It also had a 'transmitter' a little thing for the ghosts to focus through. I haven't seen a board with this since, it may have been of their own design. Anyhow they put the transmitter outside and got to receiving messages from the beyond. I don't recall any of them but one response scared them and they ran around making shrieking noises.

One of them looked outside at the transmitter and screamed, and ran back in. She said you could see the ghosts standing around it laughing. Now I was already pretty well aware that ghosts didn't exist, but here I was just told that they were outside, plain as day, during the day, and they were speaking through a Ouija board. Naturally I wanted to take a look. Being the babysitters for me, they all said no. I couldn't look out the door it was too scary. The ghosts would kill me.

They all continued to look outside all by one and every one of them claimed they could see the ghosts. This pissed me off to no end, if proof of the afterlife was outside I was sure as hell gonna see it. I managed to sneak a peak while they were receiving messages from the afterlife and sure enough- Nothing. I didn't mention it as I'd get in trouble, I'm sure if I did they'd have said I didn't see them because I scared them away or they knew I was looking. But they never got the chance to say it. They just kept getting messages from the beyond, and peaking outside to say they could see big giant demonic ones right there.

This was the point where I realized that not all religious or superstitious people are some kind of benevolently wrong believer. Some of them, perhaps many of them when it comes to Ouija boards and faith healers and such, are no more than flat out juvenile liars.

The only time I've seen one in use since was when my Mother and Aunt indulged a guest. He moved the planchette around clear as day and the ghosts told them that he and my Aunt would get to know each other much better in the future. Shockingly, the ghosts were wrong.

#464679 - 11/26/11 04:36 AM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: In transit
I think people underestimate powers of perception. I don't know much about supernatural phenomena but I've definitely had experience with the total spectrum of sensitivity (noticing, processing, crunching data, making connections, filing away details of one's surroundings). There's probably a psych term for it. Anyway, I'd be more apt to credit someone's ability to be acutely tuned in to their environment, being able to pick up subtle clues and cues, rather than a talent for talking to the dead.

But I also have a lot of respect for good showmanship. smile

Do I think they work? I'm not sure it matters.

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

“Up where the smoke is all billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars is the chimney sweep world
When there's 'ardly no day nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow and 'alfway in light" ~ The New Christy Minstrels

#464682 - 11/26/11 07:44 AM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Lust Offline

This is one of the best.

Warlock Blackthorne's opening statement under Satanic Oracles sums up my thoughts on the matter too.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#464684 - 11/26/11 09:47 AM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Lust]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
This is one of the best.

Warlock Blackthorne's opening statement under Satanic Oracles sums up my thoughts on the matter too.

I didn't go there in my post, because of the example given in the original post. There is a lot of discussion concerning the nature of "it", in the question, "does it work?" I think Shade's post very much hit on my own thoughts.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#464691 - 11/26/11 11:21 AM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lust Offline

Right, right!

"does it work?"

That answer requires a down payment. smile
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#464695 - 11/26/11 03:44 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
MalloryAkkerman Offline

Loc: Russian Federation
I was wondering how all the Satanists here feel about the Ouija board. My question is, do you think it actually works?

I believe Dr. Lavey described quite a reasonable approach to Ouija board in his Satanic witch in the chapter "Means of Divination". Belief in that kind of things can be applied by one and used. When you ask - does it work? Oh, yes, it does, I'd say! And it can work for you rather good: It can be used to entertain one as it was described here already, it can also be used to tell fortune as a convincer of your powers(surely you can tell whatever you want them to believe). People will rely on what this board would say much more than on your own words in many cases. Ridiculous enough, but one of my acquiantances didn't follow my advice to break up with her boyfriend, but when I "told her fortune by coffee grounds"(no, I'd never done it before and no, I surely don't have any supernatural powers wink ) the situation changed. After a short time of "fortune-telling" a lot of evidence of his low intelligence, betrayal etc. was found and they broke up after a while.

" It is a brutally hard fact that humans will not have faith in another human being that bears no credentials, and those silly little tea leaves in the cup give what you say more credence than any amount of true insight you might have" (c) from Satanic Witch
It's proved itself to be truth. And it can be used to one's advantage, I believe.

I've never used one so I don't have anything to really go on. Like I said earlier, I never really believed it never having been very superstitious and always quite skeptical.

Amazing how much people like those kind of stories and would believe anything of occult nature, claiming at the same time they are "quite skeptical". And they'd believe this only in case they'd have some reason (excuse for theirselves) to believe, like the science approach mentioned in the story when they did a research and facts proved to be true and so on.

Those stories will always have their fans. At last I'm not against myself to indulge myself with such kind of story, to read something like this, for example.

#464696 - 11/26/11 03:49 PM Re: Concerning the Ouija board [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
STP4 Offline

I played with one while I was in jr. high. I was highly disappointed.

I find watching grass grow to be about as useful as playing with spirit contacting toys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43643 Topics
404170 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements