Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#466642 - 12/21/11 04:38 AM The big deal about Christmas
One Man Army Offline

Loc: Beyond Understanding...
The birth of Christ, their beloved prophet. The great feast of Christians all around the world. Decorated stores and streets, sales, gifts and the Christmas-spirit everywhere you look. Now, that is magnificent - if you are a sheep of the horde.

This isn't my first year as a Satanist, but this is the first time I can ask other supporters of the idea about it.

How do you deal with Christmas, when your family/friends/partner celebrate it and expect you to follow their example?
Do you somehow ignore it if your neighbor says "Merry Christmas!" to you with, definitely, the best meanings, for he is a friendly old man?

Myself, I try to give the most possible neutral answer or just do not concentrate the attention on it, which is quite strange behavior in the eyes of others. Anyway, this is better, than explaining the whole idea of your philosophy to people who are in the mood of their holiday. The most surprising, although, is the fact that they expect everybody to be the same way they are themselves and find it 'just the common way', like there's no other. I could be wrong, but to my mind this is dogmatic stupidity.

The rules may be theirs, but the game is always mine.

"A wise man with one eye sees more, than a fool with both." - Odin, the One-Eyed God.

#466643 - 12/21/11 04:50 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Herr_S Offline

Loc: Mordor
This year I told a group of people I wasn't going to celebrate christmas, that instead I would celebrate something that have nothing to do with religion. People looked at me like I had killed a puppy. Someone actually called me a satanist (without knowing anything about my philosophical and religious views). Good luck these people are "below" me and answer to me, not the other way around.

Next year, I'll just shut the hell up and tell everyone that I'm celebrating a perfectly normal Christmas.

#466644 - 12/21/11 05:00 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: One Man Army
The birth of Christ, their beloved prophet. The great feast of Christians all around the world. Decorated stores and streets, sales, gifts and the Christmas-spirit everywhere you look. Now, that is magnificent - if you are a sheep of the horde.

This isn't my first year as a Satanist, but this is the first time I can ask other supporters of the idea about it.

How do you deal with Christmas, when your family/friends/partner celebrate it and expect you to follow their example?
Do you somehow ignore it if your neighbor says "Merry Christmas!" to you with, definitely, the best meanings, for he is a friendly old man?

Myself, I try to give the most possible neutral answer or just do not concentrate the attention on it, which is quite strange behavior in the eyes of others. Anyway, this is better, than explaining the whole idea of your philosophy to people who are in the mood of their holiday. The most surprising, although, is the fact that they expect everybody to be the same way they are themselves and find it 'just the common way', like there's no other. I could be wrong, but to my mind this is dogmatic stupidity.

I just simply tell people that I don┤t celebrate christmas cause I ain┤t christian and christmas on their feast.

Though christmas was earlier pagan feast called Yule it is very powerly colored with christian principles nowadays. So it is easist simple to say that christmas is for christian people and cause I am not one of them I don┤t celebrate it.

I have husband who is Atheist and knows about my Satanism so we simply just ignore the whole christmas and to other things at christmas time..

Edited by Janina Paasonen (12/21/11 05:05 AM)

#466645 - 12/21/11 05:37 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I jump right in and indulge in presents, turkey, and booze surrounded by loved ones. When someone tells me Merry Christmas I wish them likewise.

I enjoy time off of work, and generally relax and enjoy it all.

What do you have against fun?

Edited by Zaftig (12/21/11 05:37 AM)

#466647 - 12/21/11 06:05 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Lust Offline

We celebrate with the Nightmare Before Christmas as our main theme. The kids enjoy the holiday of course and it is done our way without any religion discussed or observed. The beautiful LadieLoki made a tree that resembles those in the movie. She added red lights and we decorate it with NBC paraphernalia. The (Deadly Night Shade) jar was purchased at Disney and this year is our second with this theme. Fun stuff!

´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#466648 - 12/21/11 06:05 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:

This has never been an issue. Those family members who want to go to church go to church. Those that want to stay home and sleep in stay home and sleep in. Otherwise, it's a day for family members who haven't seen each other in a while to get together.

Quote:

I would politely thank him and wish him a "Merry Christmas" in return.
Prevention of Virtue

#466651 - 12/21/11 06:52 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Luigi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Europe & South America

How do you deal with Christmas, when your family/friends/partner celebrate it and expect you to follow their example? Do you somehow ignore it if your neighbor says "Merry Christmas!" to you with, definitely, the best meanings, for he is a friendly old man?

I celebrate Christmas as any other person. It's all about family, friends, presents and food. For me it was never a religious holiday, but a great time for indulgence. And I always wish "Merry Christmas" back to relatives and neighbours when I meet them. You don't need to be rude to be a Satanist.

#466652 - 12/21/11 07:28 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
It has been my observation that the issue of "what to do about Christmas" is an issue almost exclusive to those with Christian baggage. Psychology seems to dictate that a purging process take place in order to emotionally separate oneself from that which once held great import, but was found to be wanting or harmful.

The same process takes place at adolescence. If I may make an observation, many of your threads seem to deal with this issue. The need to be seen as different than "them" is often of great concern during "coming of age" periods. This can happen at all ages, and is perfectly normal and healthy.

Do not be surprised to know that those without such issues, or who grown past them, will probably be busy eating, drinking and enjoying the festivities.

As a great man once said...ho, ho, ho! devilchili

EDIT...None of the above is meant to be insulting. Many seasoned Satanists have gone through the same process.

Edited by Roho_the_Rooster (12/21/11 08:07 AM)

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#466655 - 12/21/11 08:07 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I love Christmas. I love Bing Crosby singing about Christmas. I love the lights, I love baking cookies, I love the total batshit crazy insanity of the "holiday spirit" (there's probably an entry in DSM for that condition).

Any holiday greeting doesn't bother me at all. I think it's either sweet or delightfully disturbing. Either way it makes me smile. But that's because I'm naughty and I still get presents. grin coopdevil
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us ľ all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#466657 - 12/21/11 08:08 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Shade]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Shade
I love Bing Crosby

Somebody better snatch this Lady up before it's too late!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#466659 - 12/21/11 08:16 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Teufelhund Offline

Loc: Kansas
I LOVE Christmas! I get to spend time with family members that I don't see on a regular basis, I get to watch my kids go ape shit when they open all the cool stuff that my wife and I bought them, I get to eat like the gluttonous pig that I am, and I get days off from work. Don't forget 24 hours of A Christmas Story on TNT.

#466660 - 12/21/11 08:19 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Do not be surprised to know that those without such issues, or who grown past them, will probably be busy eating, drinking and enjoying the festivities...

...wearing pink. coopdevil

#466661 - 12/21/11 08:24 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA

I simply celebrate it for the materialistic and indulgent holiday that it truly is.

Also, with the way that the modern economy works, it's a rather convenient time for me to meet up with my extended family, let alone a tradition. When you get near the end of the calendar year, that's the time when a company's unused budgets can be turned into Xmas bonuses, workers use their remaining vacation days, other businesses are closed for the holiday, and offices expect people to be taking vacation anyway. So for my own family members, who all live in different parts of the country and normally have professions and other responsibilities to attend to, it just makes sense to do the Xmas thing. It's not the only time we all get to see each other, but I at least know in the back of my mind that it's always a guarantee.

One of the stupidest arguments I hear every year from at least one person (usually a Christian, but not always) that is that non-Christians shouldn't be celebrating Christmas. My reply to that is, "Show me where in the Gospels it talks about tinsel, eggnog, and wrapped gift exchanging, then we'll talk."

As most people know by now, 'Christmas' was never really the Christians' to begin with; the idea of having a great feast and celebrations in the deadest of winter goes all the way back to pagan times. Funnily enough, the sect known as the Jehovah's Witnesses specifically reject celebrating Christmas on the acknowledgment that it's a pagan holiday with absolutely no Biblical basis. The story of the mythical Jesus gives no indication of when he was born, and Christians for many centuries didn't even care to celebrate his earthly birth. I wonder why the other sects don't do the same. I bet the presents and showing off house decorations has a lot to do with it.

Quote:

It depends on who's saying it, and what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes my reply is "I'm not a Christian, but thanks for the thought!", or "Thanks for the thought, but I'm NOT a Christian!", or just "Thanks, you too!", etc.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#466663 - 12/21/11 08:33 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Teufelhund]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Teufelhund
Don't forget 24 hours of A Christmas Story on TNT.

I saw that my family when I was a kid, when it was first in the theaters. We all loved it. We ended up quoting the movie at random, for years. Nobody else seem to had heard about it, though. Eventually we bought it on VHS and introduced it to friends. I don't understand how it was a bomb at the box office, but I'm glad to see it's pretty much become a cult film.

There are so many great one-liners in that movie, but I think my favorite line has to be "Ovaltine? A crumby commercial? Son of a BITCH!"

Also, I saw these statuettes in a store yesterday. Sure beats a manger:
http://www.toynk.com/c=hPIOL29GGF1D4j8jW...anta-Slide.html

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#466670 - 12/21/11 09:20 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
ElizabethC. Offline

Christmas was always trying for me when I was growing up because I'm introverted and everyone wanted me to be cheerful and happy and involved with all the relatives I only saw once a year. After I moved out I stopped celebrating it, meaning I didn't put up decorations or buy presents and I told my family I was fine with not receiving any presents, either. (When I see something that reminds me of someone, or that I think they'll like I get it for them then and give it to them right away, rather than saving it for Christmas or their birthday. To my mind, this is more fun than being compelled to buy something for certain days, although it does confuse people. 'What's this for?' 'It reminded me of you. I thought you'd like it.' 'Well... I do... But... ?' It seems to flummox some people that you'd give them a present just because.)

My husband is the same way so we just tell people that we 'have plans'. We leave off that those plans consist of sitting on the sofa, reading or doing art.

If someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I wish them one right back.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12220 Members
73 Forums
44002 Topics
406142 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements