Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#466672 - 12/21/11 10:39 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Christmas is actually about a lot of the deadly sins. There is gluttony with all the food and drink. Envy with the presents, these combined may also lead to anger, but as always indulgence, not compulsion.

Lust is definitely there along with the drink, Christmas lunches for a lot of people is a good excuse for a bit of infidelity or just a quick one-night stand.

So, I don't think it's very Christian smile

In my country we still have they word "Jul" which you will also find in the English "Yule", we never got around to putting the christ in christmas.

For some time I celebrated with family, but I never felt good about it. Not because of the christian aspect, I just did not get along with them that well. So I started doing my own thing, which varies from year to year. One year I had dinner with some Jehovas Witnesses, since they don't celebrate christmas, we just called it dinner smile This year some friends insisted that I celebrate with them, so I'm actually getting my first taste of christmas turkey - we usually eat pork or duck here, but they are English. The husband in the family even said "It's nothing fancy, don't dress up, just wear a Satanic t-shirt and it'll be fine" - they are very secular people, but want to celebrate for the children and the good food.

About greetings - remember lesser magic, you can endear people to you if you wish them "Merry Christmas", even if you don't mean it in a religious sense. If you feel uncomfortable about the christ part, give a reply along the lines of "Hope you will have a good time with the family" or "I hope you'll be eating well this year", that works too.

#466673 - 12/21/11 10:39 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

My views on celebrating Christmas have evolved over the years.

Currently, I delight greatly in every aspect of it; the music, the decorations and lights and colors, the family and gifts, all simply reminds me of childhood joys and wonders.

The season provides direct neurological access to ancient sectors of childhood memory that are intensely pleasurable. Why not use what is already there?

Everyone of any importance in my life has known of my atheism for a long long time, so there is not even a hint of a theological aspect intruding on my enjoyment of the holidays, and since I am never a jerk who attacks the delusions (on whatever level) of others I care about - to no practical purpose - there is a longstanding unspoken and stable harmony.

No problem here. In fact this year I'm making a music play list of all my favorite traditional Christmas songs.

My favorites would be from the Carpenters Christmas album.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Portrait-Carpenters/dp/B000002GHQ

Pass that double chocolate cake please. And yes, some hot chocolate too. Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

#466678 - 12/21/11 12:12 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Bill_M]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: Bill_M

As most people know by now, 'Christmas' was never really the Christians' to begin with; the idea of having a great feast and celebrations in the deadest of winter goes all the way back to pagan times. Funnily enough, the sect known as the Jehovah's Witnesses specifically reject celebrating Christmas on the acknowledgment that it's a pagan holiday with absolutely no Biblical basis. The story of the mythical Jesus gives no indication of when he was born, and Christians for many centuries didn't even care to celebrate his earthly birth. I wonder why the other sects don't do the same. I bet the presents and showing off house decorations has a lot to do with it.

I think that Christmas was originally called Yule and it was celebrated exactly today 21th of december.
It was a winter festival that was initially celebrated by the historical Germanic people as a pagan religious festival. Later Christian people took the day for their own celebration of Christs birthday.

Terms with an etymological equivalent to Yule are used in the Nordic countries for the Christian Christmas (with its religious rites), but also for other holidays of the season. Yule is also used to a lesser extent in English-speaking countries to refer to Christmas. Customs such as the Yule log, Yule goat, Yule boar, Yule singing, and others stem from Yule. The fact that Yule is not etymologically tied to Christianity means Yule in the Nordic countries is also celebrated by many non-Christians and even by the non-religious people also. The non-religious treat Yule as an entirely secular tradition. A number of Neopagans have introduced their own rites.

Yule is described as celebrated for a fertile and peaceful season and consists of a fertility sacrifice. It´s focus was in god Odin.
One of Odin's many names is Jólnir (Old Norse yule figure).

Edited by Janina Paasonen (12/21/11 12:16 PM)

#466682 - 12/21/11 02:07 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

What? Hatin' on Xmas?

Why you gotta be hatin' on Christmas man?

Check this out.

Christmas is the shit. I get to eat pretty much the same thing I ate for Thanksgiving, which was some good ass home cooked food. I get to be around my family and friends.

I get to go out to cool ass xmas parties with tons of these around:

Shit. I've been going around telling people "Happy Holidays!" for the last week now. I'm happy man. Life's good and it ain't got nothin' to do with Jesus really.

#466684 - 12/21/11 02:18 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Callier]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Callier

I get to go out to cool ass xmas parties with tons of these around:

Do you still have my shipping address?

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#466686 - 12/21/11 02:43 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: verszou]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: verszou
Christmas is actually about a lot of the deadly sins. There is gluttony with all the food and drink. Envy with the presents, these combined may also lead to anger, but as always indulgence, not compulsion.

Lust is definitely there along with the drink, Christmas lunches for a lot of people is a good excuse for a bit of infidelity or just a quick one-night stand.

So, I don't think it's very Christian smile

Yes, a few of the most conservative Christians societies throughout history have banned the holiday because of this fact (the puritans that immigrated to America come to mind). If you look at the history of it, Christmas has always been an excuse to indulge and party.

I agree with what many other people have said here. I like the lights, the food, the materialism and the annual animated Christmas specials.

And I enjoy these things for some of the same reasons that Reverend Daark discussed above. There's a pleasant nostalgic quality to them.

Edit: And Krampus is also a lot of fun!

Edited by John Prophet (12/21/11 02:51 PM)

#466689 - 12/21/11 03:27 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Zaftig]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
And that's what it all boils down to really. Who cares what they believe. We all know what these holidays are an excuse for. smile

#466690 - 12/21/11 03:54 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Farmer Frown Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Mine will be the same as every year despite my 'conversion': go to mass with the family, try to not burn myself with the candle as I nod off, make sure pops does the same, scalloped oysters and wild duck for lunch then get loaded and talk politics. Repeat the eating and drinking at 2 other houses over the weekend and spend Monday performing the hangover ritual. I would love to just drop the party and go to the strip club, but strippers get the weekend off.

"It's great. We knew nothing about the sin before you came here." - Old Kazakh Joke

#466705 - 12/21/11 08:38 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Waya Offline
CoS Member

Hey, I'm getting free shit, and I get to hang out with my family. I look forward to this time of year, every year.

I love christmas. smile

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#466710 - 12/21/11 10:52 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Farmer Frown]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: Farmer Frown
Mine will be the same as every year despite my 'conversion': go to mass with the family, try to not burn myself with the candle as I nod off, make sure pops does the same, scalloped oysters and wild duck for lunch then get loaded and talk politics. Repeat the eating and drinking at 2 other houses over the weekend and spend Monday performing the hangover ritual. I would love to just drop the party and go to the strip club, but strippers get the weekend off.

I don´t know about U.S.A but in Finland nowadays most bars and restaurants keep their doors open trough the whole Christmas. Urban young people are nowadays more and more interested to party with their friends, many have come from countryside to town for living and try have their own ways celebrating Christmas.

I myself don´t celebrate "traditional" Christmas with family mostly just cause I don´t enjoy it much, faking I would be interested about meeting people whom I see once a year and don´t even want to see more often.
When I was kid we had to go to my grannies place every Christmas to see people and all I ever was interested to do was go home reading or play music by myself.

I do like Christmas holidays though as enterpreneur it will cost me money. Thats cause I can have opportunity to charge my batteries and have some of my personal rituals done.

Best thing in Christmas is our yearly pre-Christmas Kinky parties, I am kinky and live in sadomasochist and fetish culture very intensely, then we get the opportunity to meet all our fetish and S/M- friends. Our common theme for the parties is play with candles and thats something I do enjoy feeling both ways, these Kinkster parties are something very fleshly and carnal and suite me better than old tradition of pork eating and X-mas songs..

Other thing I like in Christmas is the plasticity of modern westerm christmas, watching people stressing around super markets gives me lot of laugh when I just sit on cafeteria drinking my cappuccino and watch them run like chicken without head wink

Of course if my neighbor says me merry christmas I answer simply the same way. What about churh? I don´t belong to Christian church so they won´t even want me there. To me Christmas is mostly just the day I can do my own things privately and enjoy for being, resting and watching movies from DVD...

Edited by Janina Paasonen (12/21/11 11:06 PM)

#466713 - 12/21/11 11:39 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
de_Lioncourt Offline
CoS Member

I see you have received some very good responses. Like, verszou I tend to agree that not only xmas, but all of the major holidays are Satanic as they all celebrate rather than deny various so called sins.

Mr_Atrox pretty much summed it up as far as I'm concerned.

Yet, like others, if someone says "Merry Christmas", I say the same. Unless they provoked me, why would I want to argue with them. If someone is wishing me well in some form I take it for what it is.

About the only thing I can add on a humorous note is this: One of my friends used to do an overnight talk radio program. One night, he was dismayed, because someone had told his five year old niece that Santa wasn't real. He opened the lines for peoples opinions. Of course, there were the "true meaning" types. Nearly every one of these types said that they felt it abusive to lie to a kid. Kids should be told the "truth" about Christmas they reasoned.

I called in. I was chuckling when I got on the air. "I find it very funny," I said. "So many people are saying it is abusive because Santa isn't real. Yet they have no problem telling their children about Jesus Christ, whom they have never seen or personally met. I was just at the mall today and seen Santa, so I know he exists."

My friend, howled with laughter and said, "Hold on, I'm writing this down." That was before he knew me, so he didn't know what to expect when he took the call.

A few calls later, someone was going on about the birth of Christ, and my friend cut him off, and said, "Wait. Like the guy a few calls ago, I have never seen Christ, but I have seen Santa in the mall." I knew I found a kindred soul. The caller sounded very irate, and said "Heathens!" and hung up.

Much to my dismay, I found out today I was wrong though. I ran across this image over at the Landover Babtist. I now have to apologize to my friend for giving such false information on the air:

HS!

#466718 - 12/22/11 03:58 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Inés Offline

Loc: Germany/Spain
I love christmas. I love picking out a big fat tree and decorating it listening to christmas music. I love the german christmas markets and I try to go there any chance I get to drink and eat well and to browse and look and feel like a little kid again. I love to make christmas cards for my loved ones, the less deserving ones get bought ones. But what I enjoy the most is setting up the nativity scene. This is a family tradition passed down by generations. I made two houses and I plan on making more. I set up a whole little village with a river and people going about their business, and yes, the jesus-family and the three wise men. It is a lot of fun and I put a lot of work into it. It is my satanic christmas ritual to put it up every year and to buy and/or make something new to it every year. It's detailed miniature work. There is no christian feel to any of it.
How bleak and dark winter would be without christmas.

#466729 - 12/22/11 09:37 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
One Man Army Offline

Loc: Beyond Understanding...
Oh, guys, thank you very much for your answers! I am glad to see such responses.

I am not - and never was - against Xmas or anything like that. I also enjoy such things as relatives, food, that silly tree standing in my living-room and I won't hiss to "Merry Christmas!" as a vampire to garlic.
I must admit, the materialistic and - Hell! - the Satanic side of of this holiday is something I just discovered with your help. I mean, saw it, but never thought about it this way.

The thing I dislike about Christmas in my country is the fact it is so religionized. See, the Orthodox Church is like a concentrate of to-the-bone Christianity - just search Google for some pics. And one more interesting fact... I live between two(!) churches! They are both at a distance of less than half a mile from my house. Try to imagine your Satanic ass between the jaws of this Christian shark! grin

Anyway, after reading your answers - and watching those photos - I totally got into the mood of celebrating Xmas. And I'm gonna make it quite Satanic this year! devilchili

Still waiting to hear more from all of ya.

Hail Santa!

The rules may be theirs, but the game is always mine.

"A wise man with one eye sees more, than a fool with both." - Odin, the One-Eyed God.

#466731 - 12/22/11 10:15 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
Typically I have had a difficult time around the winter holidays. This is partially due to bad experiences and unfortunate events that have coincided with them in my past, and partially due to having to put up with all the bullshit that goes along with this time of year. When people have wished me a “Merry Christmas”, I’ve told them to go fuck themselves, flipped them off, yelled at them about how it was really Winter Solstice, and drowned myself in alcohol so I wouldn’t have to participate in any stupid fucking traditions.

I have found my past behavior to be counterproductive. My kids have heard the myths of the immaculate conception, the oil in the lamp that lasted for 8 days, the death of the Holly King, the story of Befana, Santa, and other fictional characters. They think it is all bullshit and could care less. They just know this time of year seems fun and magical, the lights are pretty, and they get new stuff. It makes me feel good to see them happy and provide them with a much different atmosphere than the one I had - which is related to my past bitterness about this time of year.

We all know that axial tilt is the real reason for the season. No matter what you believe, it’s a fact that this time of year the top of the earth reaches its maximum distance from the sun. That’s what my kids know about this time of year. It’s been going on for much longer than humans have been here to make up stories about it.

In the words of Mr. Hankey, “You people focus so hard on the things wrong with Christmas that you've forgotten what's so right about it. Don't you see? This is the one time of year we're s'posed to forget all the bad stuff, to stop worrying and being sad about the state of the world, and for just one day say, "Aw, the heck with it! Let's sing and dance and bake cookies".

I think Magistra Ygraine summed it up nicely in this article which is partially entitled, "How I Keep From Shoving a Bell up the Salvation Army Dude's Ass"

Hail Satan!

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#466739 - 12/22/11 11:35 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Marie V Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Estonia
In my country, Yule is still celebrated as a pagan holiday, lasting from 21st of December to 6th of January. So I'm comfortable with that, just following the old customs - giving in to gluttony for two weeks, spending time with my family, giving and getting presents...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406348 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements