Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#466642 - 12/21/11 04:38 AM The big deal about Christmas
One Man Army Offline

Loc: Beyond Understanding...
The birth of Christ, their beloved prophet. The great feast of Christians all around the world. Decorated stores and streets, sales, gifts and the Christmas-spirit everywhere you look. Now, that is magnificent - if you are a sheep of the horde.

This isn't my first year as a Satanist, but this is the first time I can ask other supporters of the idea about it.

How do you deal with Christmas, when your family/friends/partner celebrate it and expect you to follow their example?
Do you somehow ignore it if your neighbor says "Merry Christmas!" to you with, definitely, the best meanings, for he is a friendly old man?

Myself, I try to give the most possible neutral answer or just do not concentrate the attention on it, which is quite strange behavior in the eyes of others. Anyway, this is better, than explaining the whole idea of your philosophy to people who are in the mood of their holiday. The most surprising, although, is the fact that they expect everybody to be the same way they are themselves and find it 'just the common way', like there's no other. I could be wrong, but to my mind this is dogmatic stupidity.

The rules may be theirs, but the game is always mine.

"A wise man with one eye sees more, than a fool with both." - Odin, the One-Eyed God.

#466643 - 12/21/11 04:50 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Herr_S Offline

Loc: Mordor
This year I told a group of people I wasn't going to celebrate christmas, that instead I would celebrate something that have nothing to do with religion. People looked at me like I had killed a puppy. Someone actually called me a satanist (without knowing anything about my philosophical and religious views). Good luck these people are "below" me and answer to me, not the other way around.

Next year, I'll just shut the hell up and tell everyone that I'm celebrating a perfectly normal Christmas.

#466644 - 12/21/11 05:00 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: One Man Army
The birth of Christ, their beloved prophet. The great feast of Christians all around the world. Decorated stores and streets, sales, gifts and the Christmas-spirit everywhere you look. Now, that is magnificent - if you are a sheep of the horde.

This isn't my first year as a Satanist, but this is the first time I can ask other supporters of the idea about it.

How do you deal with Christmas, when your family/friends/partner celebrate it and expect you to follow their example?
Do you somehow ignore it if your neighbor says "Merry Christmas!" to you with, definitely, the best meanings, for he is a friendly old man?

Myself, I try to give the most possible neutral answer or just do not concentrate the attention on it, which is quite strange behavior in the eyes of others. Anyway, this is better, than explaining the whole idea of your philosophy to people who are in the mood of their holiday. The most surprising, although, is the fact that they expect everybody to be the same way they are themselves and find it 'just the common way', like there's no other. I could be wrong, but to my mind this is dogmatic stupidity.

I just simply tell people that I don´t celebrate christmas cause I ain´t christian and christmas on their feast.

Though christmas was earlier pagan feast called Yule it is very powerly colored with christian principles nowadays. So it is easist simple to say that christmas is for christian people and cause I am not one of them I don´t celebrate it.

I have husband who is Atheist and knows about my Satanism so we simply just ignore the whole christmas and to other things at christmas time..

Edited by Janina Paasonen (12/21/11 05:05 AM)

#466645 - 12/21/11 05:37 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I jump right in and indulge in presents, turkey, and booze surrounded by loved ones. When someone tells me Merry Christmas I wish them likewise.

I enjoy time off of work, and generally relax and enjoy it all.

What do you have against fun?

Edited by Zaftig (12/21/11 05:37 AM)

#466647 - 12/21/11 06:05 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Lust Offline

We celebrate with the Nightmare Before Christmas as our main theme. The kids enjoy the holiday of course and it is done our way without any religion discussed or observed. The beautiful LadieLoki made a tree that resembles those in the movie. She added red lights and we decorate it with NBC paraphernalia. The (Deadly Night Shade) jar was purchased at Disney and this year is our second with this theme. Fun stuff!

�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#466648 - 12/21/11 06:05 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:

This has never been an issue. Those family members who want to go to church go to church. Those that want to stay home and sleep in stay home and sleep in. Otherwise, it's a day for family members who haven't seen each other in a while to get together.

Quote:

I would politely thank him and wish him a "Merry Christmas" in return.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#466651 - 12/21/11 06:52 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Luigi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Europe & South America

How do you deal with Christmas, when your family/friends/partner celebrate it and expect you to follow their example? Do you somehow ignore it if your neighbor says "Merry Christmas!" to you with, definitely, the best meanings, for he is a friendly old man?

I celebrate Christmas as any other person. It's all about family, friends, presents and food. For me it was never a religious holiday, but a great time for indulgence. And I always wish "Merry Christmas" back to relatives and neighbours when I meet them. You don't need to be rude to be a Satanist.

#466652 - 12/21/11 07:28 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
It has been my observation that the issue of "what to do about Christmas" is an issue almost exclusive to those with Christian baggage. Psychology seems to dictate that a purging process take place in order to emotionally separate oneself from that which once held great import, but was found to be wanting or harmful.

The same process takes place at adolescence. If I may make an observation, many of your threads seem to deal with this issue. The need to be seen as different than "them" is often of great concern during "coming of age" periods. This can happen at all ages, and is perfectly normal and healthy.

Do not be surprised to know that those without such issues, or who grown past them, will probably be busy eating, drinking and enjoying the festivities.

As a great man once said...ho, ho, ho! devilchili

EDIT...None of the above is meant to be insulting. Many seasoned Satanists have gone through the same process.

Edited by Roho_the_Rooster (12/21/11 08:07 AM)

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#466655 - 12/21/11 08:07 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: In transit
I love Christmas. I love Bing Crosby singing about Christmas. I love the lights, I love baking cookies, I love the total batshit crazy insanity of the "holiday spirit" (there's probably an entry in DSM for that condition).

Any holiday greeting doesn't bother me at all. I think it's either sweet or delightfully disturbing. Either way it makes me smile. But that's because I'm naughty and I still get presents. grin coopdevil
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

“Up where the smoke is all billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars is the chimney sweep world
When there's 'ardly no day nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow and 'alfway in light" ~ The New Christy Minstrels

#466657 - 12/21/11 08:08 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Shade]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Shade
I love Bing Crosby

Somebody better snatch this Lady up before it's too late!

#466659 - 12/21/11 08:16 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Teufelhund Offline

Loc: Kansas
I LOVE Christmas! I get to spend time with family members that I don't see on a regular basis, I get to watch my kids go ape shit when they open all the cool stuff that my wife and I bought them, I get to eat like the gluttonous pig that I am, and I get days off from work. Don't forget 24 hours of A Christmas Story on TNT.

#466660 - 12/21/11 08:19 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Do not be surprised to know that those without such issues, or who grown past them, will probably be busy eating, drinking and enjoying the festivities...

...wearing pink. coopdevil

#466661 - 12/21/11 08:24 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA

I simply celebrate it for the materialistic and indulgent holiday that it truly is.

Also, with the way that the modern economy works, it's a rather convenient time for me to meet up with my extended family, let alone a tradition. When you get near the end of the calendar year, that's the time when a company's unused budgets can be turned into Xmas bonuses, workers use their remaining vacation days, other businesses are closed for the holiday, and offices expect people to be taking vacation anyway. So for my own family members, who all live in different parts of the country and normally have professions and other responsibilities to attend to, it just makes sense to do the Xmas thing. It's not the only time we all get to see each other, but I at least know in the back of my mind that it's always a guarantee.

One of the stupidest arguments I hear every year from at least one person (usually a Christian, but not always) that is that non-Christians shouldn't be celebrating Christmas. My reply to that is, "Show me where in the Gospels it talks about tinsel, eggnog, and wrapped gift exchanging, then we'll talk."

As most people know by now, 'Christmas' was never really the Christians' to begin with; the idea of having a great feast and celebrations in the deadest of winter goes all the way back to pagan times. Funnily enough, the sect known as the Jehovah's Witnesses specifically reject celebrating Christmas on the acknowledgment that it's a pagan holiday with absolutely no Biblical basis. The story of the mythical Jesus gives no indication of when he was born, and Christians for many centuries didn't even care to celebrate his earthly birth. I wonder why the other sects don't do the same. I bet the presents and showing off house decorations has a lot to do with it.

Quote:

It depends on who's saying it, and what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes my reply is "I'm not a Christian, but thanks for the thought!", or "Thanks for the thought, but I'm NOT a Christian!", or just "Thanks, you too!", etc.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#466663 - 12/21/11 08:33 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Teufelhund]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Teufelhund
Don't forget 24 hours of A Christmas Story on TNT.

I saw that my family when I was a kid, when it was first in the theaters. We all loved it. We ended up quoting the movie at random, for years. Nobody else seem to had heard about it, though. Eventually we bought it on VHS and introduced it to friends. I don't understand how it was a bomb at the box office, but I'm glad to see it's pretty much become a cult film.

There are so many great one-liners in that movie, but I think my favorite line has to be "Ovaltine? A crumby commercial? Son of a BITCH!"

Also, I saw these statuettes in a store yesterday. Sure beats a manger:
http://www.toynk.com/c=hPIOL29GGF1D4j8jW...anta-Slide.html

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#466670 - 12/21/11 09:20 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
ElizabethC. Offline

Christmas was always trying for me when I was growing up because I'm introverted and everyone wanted me to be cheerful and happy and involved with all the relatives I only saw once a year. After I moved out I stopped celebrating it, meaning I didn't put up decorations or buy presents and I told my family I was fine with not receiving any presents, either. (When I see something that reminds me of someone, or that I think they'll like I get it for them then and give it to them right away, rather than saving it for Christmas or their birthday. To my mind, this is more fun than being compelled to buy something for certain days, although it does confuse people. 'What's this for?' 'It reminded me of you. I thought you'd like it.' 'Well... I do... But... ?' It seems to flummox some people that you'd give them a present just because.)

My husband is the same way so we just tell people that we 'have plans'. We leave off that those plans consist of sitting on the sofa, reading or doing art.

If someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I wish them one right back.

#466672 - 12/21/11 10:39 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Christmas is actually about a lot of the deadly sins. There is gluttony with all the food and drink. Envy with the presents, these combined may also lead to anger, but as always indulgence, not compulsion.

Lust is definitely there along with the drink, Christmas lunches for a lot of people is a good excuse for a bit of infidelity or just a quick one-night stand.

So, I don't think it's very Christian smile

In my country we still have they word "Jul" which you will also find in the English "Yule", we never got around to putting the christ in christmas.

For some time I celebrated with family, but I never felt good about it. Not because of the christian aspect, I just did not get along with them that well. So I started doing my own thing, which varies from year to year. One year I had dinner with some Jehovas Witnesses, since they don't celebrate christmas, we just called it dinner smile This year some friends insisted that I celebrate with them, so I'm actually getting my first taste of christmas turkey - we usually eat pork or duck here, but they are English. The husband in the family even said "It's nothing fancy, don't dress up, just wear a Satanic t-shirt and it'll be fine" - they are very secular people, but want to celebrate for the children and the good food.

About greetings - remember lesser magic, you can endear people to you if you wish them "Merry Christmas", even if you don't mean it in a religious sense. If you feel uncomfortable about the christ part, give a reply along the lines of "Hope you will have a good time with the family" or "I hope you'll be eating well this year", that works too.

#466673 - 12/21/11 10:39 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

My views on celebrating Christmas have evolved over the years.

Currently, I delight greatly in every aspect of it; the music, the decorations and lights and colors, the family and gifts, all simply reminds me of childhood joys and wonders.

The season provides direct neurological access to ancient sectors of childhood memory that are intensely pleasurable. Why not use what is already there?

Everyone of any importance in my life has known of my atheism for a long long time, so there is not even a hint of a theological aspect intruding on my enjoyment of the holidays, and since I am never a jerk who attacks the delusions (on whatever level) of others I care about - to no practical purpose - there is a longstanding unspoken and stable harmony.

No problem here. In fact this year I'm making a music play list of all my favorite traditional Christmas songs.

My favorites would be from the Carpenters Christmas album.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Portrait-Carpenters/dp/B000002GHQ

Pass that double chocolate cake please. And yes, some hot chocolate too. Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#466678 - 12/21/11 12:12 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Bill_M]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Bill_M

As most people know by now, 'Christmas' was never really the Christians' to begin with; the idea of having a great feast and celebrations in the deadest of winter goes all the way back to pagan times. Funnily enough, the sect known as the Jehovah's Witnesses specifically reject celebrating Christmas on the acknowledgment that it's a pagan holiday with absolutely no Biblical basis. The story of the mythical Jesus gives no indication of when he was born, and Christians for many centuries didn't even care to celebrate his earthly birth. I wonder why the other sects don't do the same. I bet the presents and showing off house decorations has a lot to do with it.

I think that Christmas was originally called Yule and it was celebrated exactly today 21th of december.
It was a winter festival that was initially celebrated by the historical Germanic people as a pagan religious festival. Later Christian people took the day for their own celebration of Christs birthday.

Terms with an etymological equivalent to Yule are used in the Nordic countries for the Christian Christmas (with its religious rites), but also for other holidays of the season. Yule is also used to a lesser extent in English-speaking countries to refer to Christmas. Customs such as the Yule log, Yule goat, Yule boar, Yule singing, and others stem from Yule. The fact that Yule is not etymologically tied to Christianity means Yule in the Nordic countries is also celebrated by many non-Christians and even by the non-religious people also. The non-religious treat Yule as an entirely secular tradition. A number of Neopagans have introduced their own rites.

Yule is described as celebrated for a fertile and peaceful season and consists of a fertility sacrifice. It´s focus was in god Odin.
One of Odin's many names is Jólnir (Old Norse yule figure).

Edited by Janina Paasonen (12/21/11 12:16 PM)

#466682 - 12/21/11 02:07 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Callier Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: On my grind
What? Hatin' on Xmas?

Why you gotta be hatin' on Christmas man?

Check this out.

Christmas is the shit. I get to eat pretty much the same thing I ate for Thanksgiving, which was some good ass home cooked food. I get to be around my family and friends.

I get to go out to cool ass xmas parties with tons of these around:

Shit. I've been going around telling people "Happy Holidays!" for the last week now. I'm happy man. Life's good and it ain't got nothin' to do with Jesus really.

#466684 - 12/21/11 02:18 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Callier]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Callier

I get to go out to cool ass xmas parties with tons of these around:

Do you still have my shipping address?

#466686 - 12/21/11 02:43 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: verszou]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: verszou
Christmas is actually about a lot of the deadly sins. There is gluttony with all the food and drink. Envy with the presents, these combined may also lead to anger, but as always indulgence, not compulsion.

Lust is definitely there along with the drink, Christmas lunches for a lot of people is a good excuse for a bit of infidelity or just a quick one-night stand.

So, I don't think it's very Christian smile

Yes, a few of the most conservative Christians societies throughout history have banned the holiday because of this fact (the puritans that immigrated to America come to mind). If you look at the history of it, Christmas has always been an excuse to indulge and party.

I agree with what many other people have said here. I like the lights, the food, the materialism and the annual animated Christmas specials.

And I enjoy these things for some of the same reasons that Reverend Daark discussed above. There's a pleasant nostalgic quality to them.

Edit: And Krampus is also a lot of fun!

Edited by John Prophet (12/21/11 02:51 PM)

#466689 - 12/21/11 03:27 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Zaftig]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
And that's what it all boils down to really. Who cares what they believe. We all know what these holidays are an excuse for. smile

#466690 - 12/21/11 03:54 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Farmer Frown Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Mine will be the same as every year despite my 'conversion': go to mass with the family, try to not burn myself with the candle as I nod off, make sure pops does the same, scalloped oysters and wild duck for lunch then get loaded and talk politics. Repeat the eating and drinking at 2 other houses over the weekend and spend Monday performing the hangover ritual. I would love to just drop the party and go to the strip club, but strippers get the weekend off.

"It's great. We knew nothing about the sin before you came here." - Old Kazakh Joke

#466705 - 12/21/11 08:38 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Waya Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Hey, I'm getting free shit, and I get to hang out with my family. I look forward to this time of year, every year.

I love christmas. smile

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#466710 - 12/21/11 10:52 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Farmer Frown]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Farmer Frown
Mine will be the same as every year despite my 'conversion': go to mass with the family, try to not burn myself with the candle as I nod off, make sure pops does the same, scalloped oysters and wild duck for lunch then get loaded and talk politics. Repeat the eating and drinking at 2 other houses over the weekend and spend Monday performing the hangover ritual. I would love to just drop the party and go to the strip club, but strippers get the weekend off.

I don´t know about U.S.A but in Finland nowadays most bars and restaurants keep their doors open trough the whole Christmas. Urban young people are nowadays more and more interested to party with their friends, many have come from countryside to town for living and try have their own ways celebrating Christmas.

I myself don´t celebrate "traditional" Christmas with family mostly just cause I don´t enjoy it much, faking I would be interested about meeting people whom I see once a year and don´t even want to see more often.
When I was kid we had to go to my grannies place every Christmas to see people and all I ever was interested to do was go home reading or play music by myself.

I do like Christmas holidays though as enterpreneur it will cost me money. Thats cause I can have opportunity to charge my batteries and have some of my personal rituals done.

Best thing in Christmas is our yearly pre-Christmas Kinky parties, I am kinky and live in sadomasochist and fetish culture very intensely, then we get the opportunity to meet all our fetish and S/M- friends. Our common theme for the parties is play with candles and thats something I do enjoy feeling both ways, these Kinkster parties are something very fleshly and carnal and suite me better than old tradition of pork eating and X-mas songs..

Other thing I like in Christmas is the plasticity of modern westerm christmas, watching people stressing around super markets gives me lot of laugh when I just sit on cafeteria drinking my cappuccino and watch them run like chicken without head wink

Of course if my neighbor says me merry christmas I answer simply the same way. What about churh? I don´t belong to Christian church so they won´t even want me there. To me Christmas is mostly just the day I can do my own things privately and enjoy for being, resting and watching movies from DVD...

Edited by Janina Paasonen (12/21/11 11:06 PM)

#466713 - 12/21/11 11:39 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
de_Lioncourt Offline

CoS Member

Loc: LttD
I see you have received some very good responses. Like, verszou I tend to agree that not only xmas, but all of the major holidays are Satanic as they all celebrate rather than deny various so called sins.

Mr_Atrox pretty much summed it up as far as I'm concerned.

Yet, like others, if someone says "Merry Christmas", I say the same. Unless they provoked me, why would I want to argue with them. If someone is wishing me well in some form I take it for what it is.

About the only thing I can add on a humorous note is this: One of my friends used to do an overnight talk radio program. One night, he was dismayed, because someone had told his five year old niece that Santa wasn't real. He opened the lines for peoples opinions. Of course, there were the "true meaning" types. Nearly every one of these types said that they felt it abusive to lie to a kid. Kids should be told the "truth" about Christmas they reasoned.

I called in. I was chuckling when I got on the air. "I find it very funny," I said. "So many people are saying it is abusive because Santa isn't real. Yet they have no problem telling their children about Jesus Christ, whom they have never seen or personally met. I was just at the mall today and seen Santa, so I know he exists."

My friend, howled with laughter and said, "Hold on, I'm writing this down." That was before he knew me, so he didn't know what to expect when he took the call.

A few calls later, someone was going on about the birth of Christ, and my friend cut him off, and said, "Wait. Like the guy a few calls ago, I have never seen Christ, but I have seen Santa in the mall." I knew I found a kindred soul. The caller sounded very irate, and said "Heathens!" and hung up.

Much to my dismay, I found out today I was wrong though. I ran across this image over at the Landover Babtist. I now have to apologize to my friend for giving such false information on the air:

HS!

#466718 - 12/22/11 03:58 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Inés Offline

Loc: Germany/Spain
I love christmas. I love picking out a big fat tree and decorating it listening to christmas music. I love the german christmas markets and I try to go there any chance I get to drink and eat well and to browse and look and feel like a little kid again. I love to make christmas cards for my loved ones, the less deserving ones get bought ones. But what I enjoy the most is setting up the nativity scene. This is a family tradition passed down by generations. I made two houses and I plan on making more. I set up a whole little village with a river and people going about their business, and yes, the jesus-family and the three wise men. It is a lot of fun and I put a lot of work into it. It is my satanic christmas ritual to put it up every year and to buy and/or make something new to it every year. It's detailed miniature work. There is no christian feel to any of it.
How bleak and dark winter would be without christmas.

#466729 - 12/22/11 09:37 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
One Man Army Offline

Oh, guys, thank you very much for your answers! I am glad to see such responses.

I am not - and never was - against Xmas or anything like that. I also enjoy such things as relatives, food, that silly tree standing in my living-room and I won't hiss to "Merry Christmas!" as a vampire to garlic.
I must admit, the materialistic and - Hell! - the Satanic side of of this holiday is something I just discovered with your help. I mean, saw it, but never thought about it this way.

The thing I dislike about Christmas in my country is the fact it is so religionized. See, the Orthodox Church is like a concentrate of to-the-bone Christianity - just search Google for some pics. And one more interesting fact... I live between two(!) churches! They are both at a distance of less than half a mile from my house. Try to imagine your Satanic ass between the jaws of this Christian shark! grin

Anyway, after reading your answers - and watching those photos - I totally got into the mood of celebrating Xmas. And I'm gonna make it quite Satanic this year! devilchili

Still waiting to hear more from all of ya.

Hail Santa!

"A wise man with one eye sees more, than a fool with both." - Odin, the One-Eyed God.

#466731 - 12/22/11 10:15 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
Typically I have had a difficult time around the winter holidays. This is partially due to bad experiences and unfortunate events that have coincided with them in my past, and partially due to having to put up with all the bullshit that goes along with this time of year. When people have wished me a “Merry Christmas”, I’ve told them to go fuck themselves, flipped them off, yelled at them about how it was really Winter Solstice, and drowned myself in alcohol so I wouldn’t have to participate in any stupid fucking traditions.

I have found my past behavior to be counterproductive. My kids have heard the myths of the immaculate conception, the oil in the lamp that lasted for 8 days, the death of the Holly King, the story of Befana, Santa, and other fictional characters. They think it is all bullshit and could care less. They just know this time of year seems fun and magical, the lights are pretty, and they get new stuff. It makes me feel good to see them happy and provide them with a much different atmosphere than the one I had - which is related to my past bitterness about this time of year.

We all know that axial tilt is the real reason for the season. No matter what you believe, it’s a fact that this time of year the top of the earth reaches its maximum distance from the sun. That’s what my kids know about this time of year. It’s been going on for much longer than humans have been here to make up stories about it.

In the words of Mr. Hankey, “You people focus so hard on the things wrong with Christmas that you've forgotten what's so right about it. Don't you see? This is the one time of year we're s'posed to forget all the bad stuff, to stop worrying and being sad about the state of the world, and for just one day say, "Aw, the heck with it! Let's sing and dance and bake cookies".

I think Magistra Ygraine summed it up nicely in this article which is partially entitled, "How I Keep From Shoving a Bell up the Salvation Army Dude's Ass"

Hail Satan!

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#466739 - 12/22/11 11:35 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Marie V Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Estonia
In my country, Yule is still celebrated as a pagan holiday, lasting from 21st of December to 6th of January. So I'm comfortable with that, just following the old customs - giving in to gluttony for two weeks, spending time with my family, giving and getting presents...

#466773 - 12/22/11 11:00 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
STP4 Offline

For me, Christmas is pretty much secularized. Most of my coworkers skip the religious part, except for the Catholics, but they only go to midnight mass for the singing anyway.

Hell, I'm a Jew, and I've always had fun on Christmas. It took me forever to realize it WASN'T all about Frosty and Santa.

#466777 - 12/22/11 11:22 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: STP4]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: STP4

Hell, I'm a Jew, and I've always had fun on Christmas. It took me forever to realize it WASN'T all about Frosty and Santa.

Just curious, what is the common jewish policy for celebrating Christmas. I know they don´t traditionally celebrate it cause it is after all Jesus Christ´s birthday, but would be intrested to hear what is the common policy of Rabbies to say about Christmas celebration?

I dont´t want to be rude or anything but I am intrested about different religions and their manners so like to question this kind of thing

-Janina

#466778 - 12/22/11 11:25 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Janina]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Janina Paasonen

Just curious, what is the common jewish policy for celebrating Christmas.

Chinese take out.

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#466783 - 12/23/11 12:14 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Janina]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

what is the common policy of Rabbies to say about Christmas celebration?

You mean rabbis, or rabies?

Quote:
I am intrested [sic] about different religions and their manners

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=world+religions

#466785 - 12/23/11 12:57 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Bill_M]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

I meant Rabbi. I think rabies isn´t part of jewish tradition..

Cause english is my secondary language I have to translate what I say from Finnish to English language. Thats why it is precious that some one who sees mistakes in my texts fix them, so thank you Billy M. smile

Edited by Janina Paasonen (12/23/11 01:04 AM)

#466791 - 12/23/11 04:22 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
One Man Army Offline

A Jewish Satanist celebrating Christmas - this is so... Satanic! grin

#466804 - 12/23/11 07:38 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Farmer Frown Offline

Loc: Nebraska
My Jewish friends typically work on Christmas, at the pub. This is a good thing. If I get sick of family gatherings I know there's pub open and a mensch pouring stiff drinks.

"It's great. We knew nothing about the sin before you came here." - Old Kazakh Joke

#466805 - 12/23/11 09:05 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
For me, now that I have two kids, Christmas is more about them, as far as presents go. And we like giving to our kids. The other aspects of Christmas I enjoy are meeting and eating with family, sitting around the Christmas tree passing out gifts, and singing songs by the piano. After the regular Christmas carols, we sing everything we can think of, that usually includes Stephen Foster and other good old Americana songs. I think we just like to sing. My mom plays the piano. I don't get to hear her play that often, so I just keep putting music in front of her. smile

This will be my aunt's husband's first U.S. Christmas. So they are doing it up right with decorations.

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

#466814 - 12/23/11 12:31 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Inés Offline

We just watched the above mentioned "Christmas Story" movie. We have had it on DVD for some years now. I never heard of this film before my boyfriend, who is american, introduced it to me. It is so american and so cute and so funny. I love it! Watching it again this year I realized that the sweetest thing I have ever seen on the telly is the scene where Ralphie's little brother hides in the kitchen cupboard crying, "Daddy is going to kill Ralphie..." and his mum gives him a glass of milk and closes the cupboard again. What a cute, sweet, innocent moment of sibling love. That little guy is my favourite character in this movie.

Feliz navidad to you all!

#466817 - 12/23/11 12:52 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Janina]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

I think rabies isn´t part of jewish tradition

Well maybe a really messy matzoh ball soup eater will appear to be foaming at the mouth, but other than that...

#466818 - 12/23/11 12:56 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Inés]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Inés

Eh, what's that you say? "Police stopped my car"? Well you should know better. wink

#466819 - 12/23/11 01:11 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
I celebrate Giftmas.

Who really celebrates the birth of jesus anyway? The holiday has now become pretty Satanic in many ways, all about material gain (gifts), indulgence in good food and general fun.

I have a son who proudly declares to all "Santa isn't real" (he figured this out himself thanks to my teaching him critical thinking skills) but will still happily take gifts from a guy in a Santa outfit. As an adult i'll happily take gifts from someone claiming that the christian god is real, Santa for grownups.

Rather than protesting, take advantage.

#466820 - 12/23/11 01:25 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
-Ember- Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I make christmas good for my children. To my loved ones who are christian and celebrate Christmas I tell them 'Merry Christmas' to some pagan friends I have I wish them a good Solstice. If I meet someone who celebrates Haunaka (not sure if I spelled that right) I wish them a happy Haunaka. I just wish everyone a good time in whatever they participate in. I don't mind getting a candy cane from some christian telling me its symbolic meanings to Jesus. I love candy canes. Their explanation (thankfully) is short and I get a free candy cane. They usually give one to the kids as well.

#466827 - 12/23/11 05:09 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Bill_M]
Inés Offline

Originally Posted By: Inés

Eh, what's that you say? "Police stopped my car"? Well you should know better. wink

This was hilarious. Vielen Dank. grin
And here's a widdle xmas present for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zRe_wvJw8

#466836 - 12/23/11 06:44 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
My_Charge Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Ah Christmas, never had much appeal after I grew up. But oh how I adore the attention I get now. Gift's from my gf's and the only time in the year where given a gift to another co-worker that is a woman is cool. Yes, I take advantage of Christmas regardless of what people what to call it or how it came about. Use of available resources, says I! When I walk down the street and someone says Merry Christmas, I smirk and say Merry Christmas back. When they say may the lord guide and protect me, I smirk again and say I choose to make my destiny by executing actions not waiting. That gives them a double take but always results in confusion and diversion.

As the clouds start to clear you will find me out with a telescope finding the "aged" light of other galaxies. With my thermos full of Gluehwein and a pipe of tobacco, nothing but the best of times!

Hail Xmas!

#466841 - 12/23/11 08:37 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

I personally like receiving and giving gifts. Doesn't matter what day it is.

I like to eat, drink, and hang out.

I get to see people I haven't seen all year long.

Not a bad deal if you do not concern yourself with other people's beliefs.

#466845 - 12/23/11 10:46 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
misanthropichero Offline

Whats the big deal about x-mass?!?!... Food, Family and FUN!!!

Hail Satan!

Edited by misanthropichero (12/23/11 11:16 PM)

#466848 - 12/23/11 10:53 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Bill_M]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

I think rabies isn´t part of jewish tradition

Well maybe a really messy matzoh ball soup eater will appear to
be foaming at the mouth, but other than that...

I have to admit that you are a very cool guy Billy M. I really enjoyed to read your stuff in one previous thread and laughed this one.

Merry Christmas to you and for everybody! Let´s keep it Satanic as everything we do smile

Edited by Janina Paasonen (12/23/11 10:56 PM)

#466850 - 12/23/11 10:58 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Cholinergic]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Cholinergic

Who really celebrates the birth of jesus anyway?

The Marines...that's who: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdytWbl9sh8

#466851 - 12/23/11 11:47 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
My family and I don't celebrate Christmas. We just get together on whatever time we have off of work eat random food and give each other things that are needed/wanted. We don't decorate our houses or listen to music.

We aren't bitter about Christmas or are very much against it or anything. We simply just don't feel the need to celebrate it. My dad found it more logical to work over the holidays, get the extra money, then fly himself and mum to some exotic resort in January.

My best friend is Wiccan, my husband is Odinist and there is me the Satanist. Best friend and I just go back and forth to each others' houses and cook some elaborate meal each day. I'm vegetarian, but had to can that for the holiday (and I don't mind at all). I made 3 curry dishes so far, today was kangaroo meat in a Pakistani curry. Tomorrow she is making me steak with truffle red wine sauce. I have to come up with a recipe for ostrich for the day after. My husband just enjoys the hell out of it because he loves food no matter what format it comes in.

I don't get offended by people saying Merry Christmas. If they say it I just wish them a Happy Holiday, Husband wishes them a Happy Solstice. No one gets offended by our responses.

#466854 - 12/24/11 12:52 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
AdamBomb Offline

I don't like when holidays tie into a religion, it would be just as unfair if Hanukkah was the new Christmas and everyone is expected to celebrate it. I don't go out of my way to convince people that I'm an Atheist when someone says Merry Christmas. I actually go out of my way to say it to customers or Happy Holidays.
These are social traditions that bring people together, and I don't think there is anything negative or wrong about that.
I love getting presents every year, but my greatest gift is my well-being and my family's as well.
You can consider that a very Christian thing to think like that, but I don't need to be please or avoid punishment from a deity to think like this.

#466861 - 12/24/11 03:26 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: misanthropichero]
One Man Army Offline

Misanthropichero, that's nice Christmas-celebrating! I got your point. I actually reviewed my opinion about this event and from now on I will just skip that religious part and gonna make Christmas sinful and enjoy it in the most Satanic way.

#466862 - 12/24/11 03:31 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
One Man Army Offline

I hope everybody will enjoy this Xmas in a way you would like to have it. Thank you for your responses, once again, I got a bit wiser after our conversation and I'm damned happy about it.

I wish you all a Satanic Christmas!

Hail Satan!

#466872 - 12/24/11 09:51 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: AdamBomb]
Bet'phage Offline

Originally Posted By: AdamBomb
I don't like when holidays tie into a religion,

Interestingly enough, holiday = holy day, and these were always associated with, even created by, people with various religious belief systems.

But, like you said, there are so many positive things about these holidays that we end up enjoying them anyway (thanks to all of those family members who instituted the traditions we so enjoy today)! smile

Merry Christmas!
Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Yule Season!
Happy New Year!
(what'd I miss?)

#466878 - 12/24/11 11:15 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#466890 - 12/24/11 06:16 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
Different strokes for different folks -

If there were a shuttle-rocket into outer space this time of the year I would be the first on line. I deplore Xmass and most everything that goes with it. This includes the music, decorations, the commercialism and especially the family gatherings pigging out boozing it up and going broke, spending money they don’t have on shit that no one wants to begin with. Who in turn wind up spending the rest of the following year paying high interest rates on their maxed out credit cards... Not to mention the ass-wipes pushing all this consumerism have little or in most cases nothing to do with the Xtian religion to begin with. The mass produced over-priced crappy products sold to the gullible masses at Wal-Mart and the and so on can eat my dust!

I am not a hard-core atheist, I know Xmass trees have nothing to do with the xtian religion. Nativities are for retards. Jesus doesn’t love you -

Can I get a Bah-humbug!

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#466891 - 12/24/11 06:21 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: MagisterParadise]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
Magister,

The links you posted are not working?

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#466892 - 12/24/11 06:36 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: gypsy]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: gypsy
Magister,

I've noticed that Diabologue doesn't fully load in Internet Explorer (I only get the top banner but none of the content). Though, perhaps not surprisingly considering Magister Paradise's well known technology preferences, it works fine in Firefox.

From what I can tell, this only seems to be an issue with Diabologue and his other sites (Main Purging Talon, Terror Transmission) seem to work well in both browsers.

#466902 - 12/24/11 11:47 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: MagisterParadise]
Herr_S Offline

Loc: Mordor
MagisterParadise:

Great posts. I couldn't agree with you any more.

Cheers.

#466904 - 12/25/11 01:23 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: John Prophet]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
Originally Posted By: John Prophet
Originally Posted By: gypsy
Magister,

I've noticed that Diabologue doesn't fully load in Internet Explorer (I only get the top banner but none of the content).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo...rnet-explorer-9

Try Compatibility Mode.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#466906 - 12/25/11 06:15 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: MagisterParadise]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Thank you, Magister.

#466907 - 12/25/11 08:17 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: gypsy]
Bet'phage Offline

Sounds like you've had some rough Christmases.

#466908 - 12/25/11 08:35 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
TTM Offline

Loc: Canada
I enjoy Christmas but I obviously don't take part in any religious aspects. The last two years me and my fiancee didn't bother with a tree or any decorations, last year because we didn't want too and this year because we're visiting our families. The season gives me time off work, gifts and it's a good reason to head to the other side of the country and visit family knowing they'll be off work too.

Also I love turning off the house lights and turning on the tree, I find it very relaxing.

#466910 - 12/25/11 11:07 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: TTM]
Bet'phage Offline

Originally Posted By: TTM
Also I love turning off the house lights and turning on the tree, I find it very relaxing.

Me too. Very beautiful!

#466924 - 12/25/11 06:04 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but the Church of Satan news page featured a commentary about the solstice, as it does every year:
http://news.churchofsatan.com/

#466933 - 12/25/11 09:53 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Bill_M]
Bet'phage Offline

A most excellent point! I read this, but didn't think of referencing it. The short excerpt from H. P. Lovecraft, contained in the text of the article, is deserving of thought as well.

#466943 - 12/26/11 04:05 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Bill_M]
One Man Army Offline

And again the wise words of Magus Gilmore. Simply love the feeling of knowing, that someone fully independent from me thinks the same way I do.

#467039 - 12/27/11 10:30 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
deviljuice Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee
Bah Humbug!

#467057 - 12/28/11 09:15 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: deviljuice]
Bet'phage Offline

And a Happy New Year to you Sir! devilchili

#467081 - 12/28/11 03:44 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Selfist Offline

Loc: Maine, USA

I dare say there are many, many Christians who likely go through the whole Christmas thing without a single thought about the supposed birth of their 'savior'.

#467110 - 12/29/11 03:20 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Selfist]
One Man Army Offline

That is also true. Many people simply 'follow the trend' and celebrate some doubtful event, without giving their actions any sense and without placing any idea behind it. A typical example of herd-conformity. By doing so throughout their entire life, they actually make their lives hollow and pointless. Quite revolting, don't you think?

Thank God, I am a Satanist...

#467112 - 12/29/11 03:50 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

That is also true. Many people simply 'follow the trend' and celebrate some doubtful event, without giving their actions any sense and without placing any idea behind it. A typical example of herd-conformity. By doing so throughout their entire life, they actually make their lives hollow and pointless. Quite revolting, don't you think?

Thank God, I am a Satanist...

In finland we have this word called "tapakristitty" which would mean something like "habit christian" in english language. These are the chritian people who haven´t ever read bible or be religious but still feel need to hang on in christian traditions like church wedding, christmas etc. This is actually very common form of hypocrisy in finnish religious field!

#467117 - 12/29/11 07:44 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Janina]
One Man Army Offline

There are plenty of people, who call themselves 'Christians', while they do not even know the abracadabra they believe in. I met a lot of 'believers', who knew less about their religion, than I do, while I am an atheist.

#467118 - 12/29/11 07:54 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Selfist Offline

Loc: Maine, USA
Rather like someone calling themselves a cosmologist because s/he gazed romantically at the moon...

#467119 - 12/29/11 08:02 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Selfist]
One Man Army Offline

Ha ha - that's right! There are just so many posers. I have heard so many people claiming to be Satanists - and claiming it right after you met them - while, after a short conversation, they appeared to be devil-worshipers. You should see their faces, when I told them, that the horned Satan isn't real. grin

#467120 - 12/29/11 08:34 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

There are plenty of people, who call themselves 'Christians', while they do not even know the abracadabra they believe in. I met a lot of 'believers', who knew less about their religion, than I do, while I am an atheist.

I have read the whole Bible from Moses to John and use it agains Christians in discussion. Most of so called Christian don´t have a clue about teachings of Bible and I just love to tease them with quotes about slavery, shaving beard and many other so called sins.
Christian people hate it when I know more about their religion than they do, and thats something witch gives me lot of satisfaction

#467325 - 01/02/12 04:51 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Janina]
STP4 Offline

Originally Posted By: STP4

Just curious, what is the common jewish policy for celebrating Christmas. I know they don´t traditionally celebrate it cause it is after all Jesus Christ´s birthday, but would be intrested to hear what is the common policy of Rabbies to say about Christmas celebration?

I dont´t want to be rude or anything but I am intrested about different religions and their manners so like to question this kind of thing

-Janina

orthodox rabbis say not to celebrate it in any form. Reform/Conservative rabbis say that it's part of this country's culture and that some level of recognition is ok.

Most Jews eat Chinese take out and/or go to a movie. We also, sometimes, wait until Christmas to give Chanukah presents, as most Jewish families are intermarried.

TL;DR Most American Jews view Christmas as gift-mas and treat it as a secular holiday, regardless of what some rabbis say.

#467326 - 01/02/12 05:18 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: STP4]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

#467356 - 01/03/12 11:20 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Zaftig]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Back in the early 90s, I remember seeing an Asian-American comedian (I think it was Henry Cho) point out that the current year is around 4700 according to the Chinese calendar, and around 5700 according to the Hebrew calendar, concluding "No way! How could Jewish people go one thousand years without Chinese food?"

#467395 - 01/04/12 03:54 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
One Man Army Offline

Chinese food is an essential Jewish tradition!

#467474 - 01/05/12 03:21 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: One Man Army]
Deviljosh4ever Offline

I don't feel that one specific day should be used for being kind to another person. I often joke that I thought the holiday was about a heavyset man with diabetes that has a thing for breaking into peoples homes.

In my opinion Christmas is nothing more than greed and people act like brainless zombies in the malls and stores. Tho I have a tradition of watching the original "Night of the Meek" episode of The Twilight Zone that starred Art Carney. For some reason that episode brings both a smile and a tear to my eyes every year.

#467513 - 01/06/12 03:58 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Deviljosh4ever]
One Man Army Offline

If you take a good look at Christmas, you will see a deep commercial idea behind it. Everyone is aware of those sales where people - quite mindless and will-less already - lose their brains even more and consume as much as they can and often more than that. They do not care about the little fact that their beloved prophet used to teach people about material values not being the true values.

#468657 - 01/27/12 10:48 PM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: de_Lioncourt]
Pablovilla Offline

Loc: Victorville, California
That is funny, besides the guy that started the Landover Baptist "Church", from what I have found started off doing that as a joke in college, and was expelled because of it "Christians" you know have little sense of humor when it comes to religion. Chris wrote a Book and has the website, and it is educational, shows just what kinds of whacked out things some of the "Christians" believe.

After all don't forget Santa is an anagram for Satan.

#468670 - 01/28/12 04:19 AM Re: The big deal about Christmas [Re: Pablovilla]
One Man Army Offline

Originally Posted By: paul_r
After all don't forget Santa is an anagram for Satan.

As I said before, Hail Santa...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43643 Topics
404170 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements