Topic Options
#468589 - 01/26/12 09:07 AM Making Confessions
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Sometimes I have seen in this Letters to the Devil board some people who have very powerful need for making confessions about their "sinfull" actions. What have I understand from reading Satanic Bible and other Satanic masterpieces that making confession about something you consider as a sin is not an Satanic action.

cause I after all am just person who is waiting her membership card from united states I would be interested to hear some comments from Priests of Church of Satan their thoughts about this "confessing sins to other Satanists" issue, which sometimes shows it face in this board also?

#468592 - 01/26/12 11:34 AM Re: Making Confessions [Re: Janina]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

It certainly is not encouraged.

Occasionally, people feel the need to get shit off their chest. Understandable. Unfortunately, a public internet forum is a stupid place to do that, and as such we generally just remove these outbursts.

The problem is not with telling others that something troubles you, or that you think you've made a grave mistake, but in the choice of venue. This is not the place for it.

At least, I assume this is what you meant? The concept of "sin" is a poor fit for Satanism; we would not consider an action to be a "sin" unless it were really, really stupid, and generally when LaVey speaks of Satanic sins, he refers to sins made against yourself, which hardly seems like something you'd need to confess.

#468595 - 01/26/12 01:14 PM Re: Making Confessions [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Thatīs one thing what I was thinking. Other thing I had in my mind was the idea that Satanism is religion with Dogma and Ritual, still Satanism as religion does not have concept of god as a supreme being so what is the merit for confessing anything. LaVey said if you are sorry about something you have done you appologize and wont do it again. If you know you are going to do same stupidity again it would be hypocritical to confess.

There is two religions I know which has no god. Other one is Buddhism which teaches the way of personal enlightenment and other is Satanism which starts from atheistic view and has satan as symbol of rebellion.

If we in Satanic tradition have no god or devil then we have to think again these normal duals which monotheistic religions have like good versus bad. In that Life confessing some sin you have done is not actually very fruitfull cause any god wont give you any forgiveness.

Satanist should take full responsibility to ones own actions but still I feel sometimes some one feels need to give confessions about stupid actions they have done for getting forgiveness from other members of board.
That is the reason why I was intrested to hear how you Priests or priestesses see this thing?

#468598 - 01/26/12 01:53 PM Re: Making Confessions [Re: Janina]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I suppose we should start at the beginning then.

As I said, Satanic "sins" essentially fall into two categories:

- Things that go strictly against Satanic doctrine. Examples would be unnecessarily harming animals, breaking laws, using drugs, etc. The reaction of other Satanist and the CoS itself to these acts would generally be rather severe. So far as "confession" goes I encourage anyone who does this to confess right away so we can be rid of them. They don't belong, confession or no.

Of note, Satanists really need not worry about this kind of "sin" because all of them are things that any decent human being will not find themselves doing.

- Actions that betray one's self. Several of the Satanic Sins listed by Dr. LaVey are of this nature. The important thing to note about most of these is that the primary person hurt by them is yourself. Counter-productive pride may make those around you miserable, but the one who truly suffers will be you, which is why it is a Satanic sin in the first place.

These are not things that will necessarily result in expulsion, assuming the person in question corrects the issue or limits the damage done to themself only. Continued transgression of a nature that reflects badly on us all or brings you into conflict with the Church will of course result in action taken.

As for "confession"...it does not really apply. It may be useful or important to admit to the mistake made, if for example your mistake has involved others, then obviously correcting that can go a long way. As you mentioned, the operative concept here is "Did you learn from the mistake?" Confession implies need for forgiveness from a higher power, which is not a concept compatable with Satanism. It is also worth noting that any such admission and forgiveness is a personal matter between the parties involved.

Confession also implies that even if you are able to keep the mistake to yourself, it should be admitted to others. I do not see it that way. If you screwed up and nobody has to know, then fix it and move on. Simple as that.

Confessors are usually attention seekers. Nothing more and nothing less. What they truly crave is pity for their pitiful life, and there is a short supply of that indeed among Satanists.

#468601 - 01/26/12 02:03 PM Re: Making Confessions [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Thank you for your good answer Priest Hagen von Tronje. You gave me more perspective with your answer!

Edited by Janina Paasonen (01/26/12 02:04 PM)

Forum Stats
11890 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404142 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements