Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#470752 - 03/02/12 08:21 AM Giving opinions and advices?
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
One of our "golden rules" says "Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked". This rule is first one in the list of The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth, written by our finder and first High Priest Anton Szandor LaVey.

I have been thinking lately lot of this brilliant advice of dr.Lavey especially after I became a member of CoS. I have noticed I feel more and more difficult every day giving opinions for people.

Now we are acting in this virtual reality world when we discuss about issues in this Lttd forum so sometimes it´s very easy to forget how much we actually try to make others understand our stand points in these issues more than listen what others may have to say us. We modern people have opinion for every situation, but is it actually always so important to get everybody else understand what do I feel about this or that?

Philosophy is one my passions and I enjoy about these discussions here, sometimes just.... I feel like I would or could say something about this or that which I delete hour later just cause I get this thought to my mind "what am I to say to somebody which she or he should believe"

I was reading Ayn Rand novel where this magnificent writer throw interestingly an idea "you have no right to say what is right or wrong for me"

Any opinions or advices?

Edited by Janina (03/02/12 08:45 AM)

#470757 - 03/02/12 10:42 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
thorn9 Offline

Frankly people have told me their opinions or given me advice at times when I did not ask, but it ended up helping me many times and get me to think which I like. And I have helped out people with my opinions and advice when it was not asked and it helped them which made me feel good! And as a Satanist what makes me feel good is important and in many cases it did just that.

#470761 - 03/02/12 12:04 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Alot of Satanism isn't meant to be taken super literally or to the letter all the time. I personally think that rule means don't be rude by giving advice to a stranger or pestering someone with your ideas and opinions. It's fine to give your advice to a friend even if they don't ask. It can be very helpful just the same.
-Fry Futurama
Crocodilians take better care of their young then a lot of parents I know.
-Dr. Brady Barr

#470764 - 03/02/12 12:24 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
thorn9 Offline

I agree I think too many people take them as actual "Rules". I mean just last week I could have easily have used rule number 11 but I didn't and I am glad I didn't. I would have hated myself and felt like a jerk if I did use it in that particular situation.

#470781 - 03/02/12 03:42 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Torrent Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Janina
So do you mean all these "rules" are just theories for you where you can pick and choose what best suites for your opinions about Satanic philosophy?

This is one of the foundational ideas behind Satanism. Satanism is a religion where the god you follow is created by you because in essence that god IS you. As a god it is up to you to decide how you will interpret the material and use it to your real world benefit. As long as you are not committing illegal crimes the theories and ideas behind Satanism are very open for interpretation.

This means that one person may feel that you should not give any advice or opinions unless asked while the next person may feel it is only a guideline. Each person is free to choose how they will use these ideologies, though each person must also understand that although they can choose how to use it, they cannot necessarily expect others to agree with their usage.

This is one of the reasons Satanists can seem very blunt/confrontational at times. One person believes one way while another believes slightly different. The important thing is that you use the ideas in the most positive way for your personal situation regardless of how another feels.

Take note... Your views on these ideas may change over time as your life experiences change. So while you may feel a certain way about an idea one day, the next day you may feel completely different. Whatever the case... Use it to progress.

#470783 - 03/02/12 04:23 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

You have some good points here Torrent. Thank you for sharing them with us!
I myself feel that the richness of Satanism is excactly in it's purely carnal nature. We do not have teachings or concept to afterlife rewards, god or devil, but our religion puts whole responsibilty to person himself. You do what you do, understand the causes of your action and live with it.

to me. As member of Church of Satan these rules like we call them are guidelines. I see that the idea is that these rules come from experience which kind of action is productive and which not. I feel important to accept these principles in pragmatic level. They are not words of God like commands in Christianity but they have good principles for help ones life.

In this particular question, I also give my advices for friends and ask their opinios for many issues, but I do not want to tell people whom I do not personally know any advice how should they handle some personal things or live their own lifes, or want to pretend I know for them which is best solution for them. I do not want either people to tell me what should I , or should not do with my one and only life. There is many paths in life and Satanism indeed does not suite for all people, but only for those who can accept this responsibility

Your opinions give me lot more perspective, so nice to get to hear them.. smile

p.s. though I am not spokesperson of Satanism, I do not try to teach or correct people. Still I like to discuss and hear different points for these issues wink

Edited by Janina (03/02/12 04:41 PM)

#470793 - 03/02/12 06:13 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Torrent]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

This means that one person may feel that you should not give any advice or opinions unless asked while the next person may feel it is only a guideline. Each person is free to choose how they will use these ideologies, though each person must also understand that although they can choose how to use it, they cannot necessarily expect others to agree with their usage.

This is not the case. Janina has it right. Satanism encourages (personal) questioning of everything, including our own rules and dogma, but this does not mean they are open to interpretation.

Indeed, the Rules of the Earth are core dogma, and are pretty explicit. While it is certainly a worthwhile exercise to ask why they are what they are in order to understand them, if one arrives at the conclusion that they do not agree with them, even in part, it is then worth asking if they're in the right place.

One of the key concepts behind Satanism is that it is not subject to interpretation, unlike deistic religions which are plagued by ambiguity and factionalism. There is no ambiguity in Satanism. In turn, our rules are so fundamentally simple and nonrestrictive that no reasonable person should find particular objection to them.

Or perhaps I have misread you? Exactly what "usage" do you think is subject to opinion or interpretation?

#470796 - 03/02/12 06:51 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

I agree with everything Reverend von Tronje said.

The Satanic Rules of the Earth are core dogma and not open to debate or interpretation.

Their codification as rules (and not guidelines or suggestions) is part of the architecture of Satanism itself, and that architecture reflects the spirit of Satanism.

This does not mean that discussions about them are not allowed.

#470802 - 03/02/12 08:27 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Bedlam Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Perfidious Albion
When you decide to partake in a discussion forum, you ARE essentially inviting opinions (or advice where asked for). And those people reading - they CHOOSE to read it and may or may not decide to respond with their own.

If you decide to create a post espousing a particular opinion, you are doing it in a place where this is...encouraged?

It would be a very dull discussion forum if nobody put forth an opinion!

It is a different matter out in the "real" world...especially perhaps when interacting with other Satanists.

"I don't think you are bringing your kids up right and should do this and this instead..."

Would be met with "Who the F*** asked you?"

It's manners basically.

Now, if asked - "Does my bum look big in this?"

Probably best to lie, rather than give an honest opinion. grin

Do I look like I carry a pencil? Jason Statham

It may be Crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

~ Gil Scott Heron

#470803 - 03/02/12 08:41 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Bedlam Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Perfidious Albion
Originally Posted By: Hatred_Incarnate
It's fine to give your advice to a friend even if they don't ask.

Is it?

Unless they are in danger of killing themselves (e.g. I suggest you don't jump off the balcony, we are thirty floors up...) I disagree.

My close friend started a new business two years ago. My opinion was that it was a foolish endeavour and he would be pretty much screwed within a year or so.

I thought long and hard about voicing that opinion. I knew I was right. I decided against it.

His business was screwed within a year. He'll be paying debts off for another few years yet. But he got over it and dusted himself off.

AND WE ARE STILL CLOSE FRIENDS.

Do I look like I carry a pencil? Jason Statham

It may be Crazy
But I'm the closest thing I have
To a voice of reason

~ Gil Scott Heron

#470806 - 03/02/12 09:09 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Quaark]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Daark
I agree with everything Reverend von Tronje said.

The Satanic Rules of the Earth are core dogma and not open to debate or interpretation.

Their codification as rules (and not guidelines or suggestions) is part of the architecture of Satanism itself, and that architecture reflects the spirit of Satanism.

This does not mean that discussions about them are not allowed.

I think the problem here is if somebody starts to think all these rules are just theories where you can pick and choose what best suites for your opinions about Satanic philosophy he ends up easily to something very non-Satanic personal philosophy. The point in Satanism is anyway that it is religion with Dogma and Ritual.

When I was thinking to join to CoS I was thinking lot of these rules and it was very important for me to accept these teachings in pragmatic level. When I studied Satanism I did not find philosophy which suites for me, but I found myself from the philosophy. Then I made decision to sent my application for membership.

If we think that rules of Satanism are just "ideas" we start to theorize and make our own rules. Then one could think "Oh I don´t like this or that rule so I just ignore it". The problem in acting like this is which rules should we follow then. One could say it is all right to sacrifice animals or use drugs and still call myself a Satanist. What part in this kind of thinking actually is anymore Satanism?

One of the best descriptions about Satanism I have heard came from Magister Nemo in one of his earlier posts here when he said "You can think you can make opinions of Satanism, but Satanism is as it is. Current Religion with Ritual and Dogma".
To me these precious words of Magister Nemo are the best course I have ever got about Satanism and I could not agree more with him!

Being Satanist means living by priciples of Satanism!

Edited by Janina (03/02/12 09:29 PM)

#470814 - 03/02/12 10:22 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
I forget where the quote came from, but someone said "Satanism is not just a grab bag of convenient principles that someone can pick and choose from at will."

Once you start opening anything up to interpretation, in immediately loses any inherent value. That's one of the many reasons most religions are such a fucking mess.

There is a big difference between being up to interpretation, and being written tongue in cheek; Satanism is definitely the latter.

I think it boils down to common sense not to offer advice or opinions to people who aren't asking for it; for one, nobody likes a smart ass.

#470820 - 03/02/12 11:09 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Bedlam]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Though the Rules of the Earth aren't subject to stretchy interpretation or redefinition, friendship certainly is. I'd call a good friendship a state in which opinion is always welcome and solicited. I freely give friends sub-life-saving advice and welcome it from them as well. I'd not be content seeing a friend ruin themselves without warning them that I thought it was a bad risk.

The degree of friendship especially determines what advice should be considered welcome, ranging from the acquaintance deserving only "Don't drink that, it's poisonous" to the most intimate, "Don't marry her without a pre-nup".

#470825 - 03/02/12 11:48 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Janina
if somebody starts to think all these rules are just theories

Aye, they are. But they are scientific theories (OBS! Irony). This means they can be (and, indeed, have been) tested and proven to be sound principles. You are free to try it out for yourself. Conduct an experiment: Assert for one hundred days that your freely given and non solicited advice will always be welcomed by everybody. The see what happens.

I'll wager that you'll harvest resentment in bountifuls, but that you'll also develop a mild-to-serious case of depression -- because nobody seems to care about your opinions and advice. Which is the crux of the matter: Do not give your shit away for free. Even if you happen to know better than, say, your best friend (as in the example above), there is a price you have to pay for that knowledge. This, of course, is a well known principle for anyone who has (or is) parented teenage children.

#470829 - 03/03/12 12:10 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Torrent Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Texas
What I meant by interpretation (and probably should have been clearer about) was that the rules (more-so Satanism in general) should be used as a tool in our personal lives.

Using the first rule as an example "Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked." - In general this is a very important rule to stick to, however there are times it has benefited me to do the opposite. In the workplace I have given my opinion/advice to plant ideas in the head of another at convenient times (without being asked). These ideas are cultured and eventually turn into the completion of whatever purpose I was using them for in the first place.

This obviously cannot apply to rules such as rule 9, and 10, but can apply to other areas of Satanism.

So by interpretation (usage) I am trying to get across the thought that there are times and places when parts of Satanism can be used to our advantage. However, I am not saying that the we can just do whatever we want based on our opinions.

Thank you for the criticism. I do appreciate your post as I certainly do not wish my own to be unclear/misunderstood.

#470836 - 03/03/12 03:52 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Bedlam]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

I'd say your example would be an exception to such situations, not the rule. Honesty and open communication between friends is important, I think. I would rather suffer momentary embarrassment by a friend telling me I was being foolish/making a bad decision than for them to stay silent and allow me to run into far worse. I try my best to do the same for them. It isn't always the most comfortable thing, but hey, that's what friends are for.

The real ones anyhow. wink

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#470838 - 03/03/12 04:11 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: NapalmNick]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
I would rather suffer momentary embarrassment by a friend telling me I was being foolish/making a bad decision than for them to stay silent and allow me to run into far worse. I try my best to do the same for them. It isn't always the most comfortable thing, but hey, that's what friends are for.

One can always ask "Are you sure about this?" or "Are you aware that xxx ?"

This first opens up the opportunity for them to indicate whether the opinion is welcome. The second states some information, the other is take it into consideration or not. Some people do need to learn things the hard way - as a young person I wouldn't have taken the advice I give today smile

#470840 - 03/03/12 06:17 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Sir Schwarzweise Offline

Loc: Hic et Nunc
If you ask me - I repeat - if you ask me, since that is the discussed part, I would say giving a suggestion is always better than giving advice. A suggestion is the passive form of the same thought, while advice is a degrading transaction towards it's target (seen from the view of psychology).

You have full right for having your opinion - as a fact, any external, objective information perceived by us is being interpreted subjectively in the first stage of the process of cognition, so it is inevitable - but sharing this opinion, whether in a passive or active form, is a question of every situation.

If you give advice - you are responsible for it. This can be seen as taking the responsibility for someone else's choices, just because "you thought you knew better". Correct me if I am wrong (yes, you are asked), but I conclude that giving advice means:

Taking responsibility, consciously or not, for the choices of (an) other individual(s).

This can lead to the following:
1) You will relieve the target from responsibility and, perhaps, suffer from the effects of his/her choice. (Some people are using this to blame others for their choices - "You said this was better!")

2) You will try to relieve the target from responsibility and offend this person, for you will be understood as showing your superiority and hindering the target make own, independent decisions. (Often seen by older people - they like to show their experience and wisdom based on it, although not taking in account others may not want to give away their responsibility)

My advice is ( grin) - bear your responsibility and let others bear theirs.

#470845 - 03/03/12 11:13 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Quaark]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

In addition to what both Reverends have said CoS Member Noel wrote a wonderful essay titled On Satanic Textualism.

Also straight from the High Priest's essay Rebels Without Cause: They observe our list of “sins” and “rules” and don’t grasp that such terms are used with tongue firmly planted in cheek, while simultaneously missing the point that there is an ethical structure to our philosophy—our “third side” which is so elusive to those limited to dualist thinking. These lists are guidelines and tools based on keen observation of human social behavior, not arbitrary regulations or “shalt nots” handed down from “on high” or belched forth from “down below.” Each Satanist is welcome to take ‘em out for a test drive and see how they work. Most of us find them to be both accurate and useful. That’s why we adopt “Satanist” as a proper label for ourselves—Anton LaVey’s philosophy is completely coincident with our personal approach to living.

Satanism is a philosophy already coherent in your daily personal life. No interpretation needed.

#470846 - 03/03/12 11:15 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Bedlam]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Well, and Luthor has actually illustrated a very important point here, which is that someone can ask for advice, without actually asking for advice.

There are plenty of ways of putting yourself out there that essentially open you up to criticism and advice--whether you're ready for it, or not!

For example, when you agree to enter into a certain kind of relationships--Teacher-Student, Doctor-Patient, Therapist-Client, Master-Apprentice--you effectively consent to give or receive advice and counsel, in exchange for continuing to reap the benefits of that relationship.

Or, of course, when you air your opinion in a public forum, you're basically consenting to have other people reply to you with their opinions.

A request for help or advice can also be communicated through symbolic actions, or body language, or even, outlandish, attention-grabbing behavior.

I'd also say that those who are quick or willing to give advice, must also generally be ready (if not willing) to also receive it.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#470891 - 03/04/12 05:19 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Sir Schwarzweise]
XUL Offline

Originally Posted By: Sir Schwarzweise
I conclude that giving advice means:
Taking responsibility, consciously or not, for the choices of (an) other individual(s).

I completely agree!

This, of course, can lead you to god-knows-where in terms of consequences further on down the road. Which in turn, I suppose, is why the wiser people among us hesitate to give advice, even if asked, because they do in fact know better.

#470896 - 03/04/12 09:18 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: NapalmNick]
thorn9 Offline

"Napalm" Exactly! If my friends did not care enough to give me their opinions or advice then what is the point of having them as friends? I would get new friends in a hurry. I want them to care enough to offer opinions and advice even if I do not ask it just as I do for them at times. And many times it was a good thing that I did for them or that they did for me.

A Satanist has to make up their own mind about things as that is the point. Like I said earlier I could have easily have used rule number 11 recently in a situation that came up. But I am glad I didn't! I would have to have been a real jerk to have done so in that particular situation.

#470897 - 03/04/12 09:44 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Torrent]
TheAbysmal Offline

An easy way for someone to figure out whether or not he or she is about to give unsolicited advice where doing so would be less than self-serving is to pay attention to whether he or she experiences niggling doubt, or not. If the question "Should I really even go there?" arises, he or she might probably be better off not going there. Of course, that can sometimes backfire, particularly on the stupid or ignorant who are simply far too unattuned to have or notice such a niggling doubt.

Just glossing over the Rules and Sins, I couldn't quite find a perfect fit for "Pay Attention!" or "Context Matters" but those cross-cutting concerns serve your point well here, I think.

Refuse to die.

#470900 - 03/04/12 10:08 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Lust Offline

Whenever I find myself in this situation one of the first things that comes to mind is a Herbert Spencer quote that Doktor LaVey included just before the contents page in The Satanic Rituals.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#470904 - 03/04/12 10:32 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: XUL]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: XUL
Originally Posted By: Sir Schwarzweise
I conclude that giving advice means:

I completely agree!

This, of course, can lead you to god-knows-where in terms of consequences further on down the road. Which in turn, I suppose, is why the wiser people among us hesitate to give advice, even if asked, because they do in fact know better.

That´s actually very good point. If we tell to somebody what he or she should or should not do are we really ready to take responsibility of the causes of that decision?

Edited by Janina (03/04/12 10:33 AM)

#470945 - 03/05/12 04:52 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Sir Schwarzweise Offline

Loc: Hic et Nunc
By giving advice we - again, consciously or not - wish to whether satisfy our own need to help someone we feel sympathies for, or to satisfy that someone's need to get some support when choosing.

I think the following.
*Getting advice does not obligate you to any actions, so, let those who have the need to speak satisfy their need. But, be warned that their advice is first of all meant to satisfy them.
*Giving advice means taking responsibility - think whether the person wants to give away this responsibility (and why you should take it), or does the person wish to take responsibility for his/her choices.

If I feel a passive position is wrong in the particular situation, I prefer to give critique, rather than advice. Critique delivers the thought that should affect the person you wish to affect, but does not bind you to responsibility - advice is expected to be followed, critique is meant to show a different view on the topic, which can also lead the target to making the right decision.

#470953 - 03/05/12 11:07 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

Only you know what you want in life. Everyone has their own desires, agendas and goals. If somebody is trying to guide your life without your consent then you best believe they got some ulterior motives.

#471028 - 03/06/12 01:53 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Riddles Offline

Loc: Maryland
This is certainly the rule that I have violated the most. In my experience, it's an excellent rule, and in each instance, I would have been best off following it.

Regarding disagreement...the Satanic Bible's call to "question all things" certainly applies to Satanism itself, but if that questioning leads to rejection of core principles, then right or wrong, one should recognize that the "Satanist" label no longer applies to that individual.

I have no issues with any of the rules. To roughly paraphrase Magister Nemo, Satanism is a finger that points to reality. The rules are pretty natural consequences of the acceptance of that reality. If you don't agree, do what I did...ignore the rule and learn the hard way. Maybe the rules don't seem so obvious to some, but I would say that is because so many view the world through the lens of Judeo-Christian culture and morality. For example, if I were asked to explain the differences between Satanism and Humanism, one difference I would note is that Humanists' view of reality is unknowingly influenced by Christian morality, whereas Satanism sheds this unnecessary and harmful layer, so it doesn't surprise me that a non-religious person such as a Humanist would not see these things as obvious. These are the same people who believe "love thy neighbor" is something completely natural and inherent while falsely rejecting the Christian influence on that attitude.

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

#471037 - 03/06/12 09:21 PM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Janina]
Belianon Offline

Loc: French overseas
One way to follow this rule could be to ask :
"Would you want to know my thought on it?"

This automatically prevent you from being arrogant and you will know without a doubt if your interlocutor want your opinion or not because now he will be compelled to ask for one if really wanted.

This will also inform you if your interlocutor is seeking answers or debate, or a simple emotional comforting by being listened.

Indeed, to follow this Rule of Earth is time and energy saving.

Edited by Belianon (03/06/12 10:35 PM)
- Jim Rohn

#471040 - 03/07/12 12:28 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Indeed, it isn't a question of interpretation. The 11 Satanic Rules are quite forthright.

It is however a question of using one's tact. grin

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#471046 - 03/07/12 02:18 AM Re: Giving opinions and advices? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
XUL Offline

"Don't talk to me about sophistication, I've been to Leeds."

Speaking of Yorkshire, I recently bought and watched The Red Riding Trilogy -- and must say that the dialect is kind of strong at times, to the point of having to stop the film and go back with a WTF did he just say? sort of mind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements