Topic Options
#47247 - 07/02/04 01:08 PM Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible
Captn_Thatch Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 115°49'00"W 37°14'00"N

#47248 - 07/02/04 01:18 PM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: Captn_Thatch]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Good for him.

He has a voice and is using it to say what needs to be said.

Bill Cosby has more harsh words for black community
Friday, July 2, 2004 Posted: 10:12 AM EDT (1412 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them.

He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

"When you put on a record and that record is yelling 'n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said.

He also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

Cosby appeared Thursday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson, founder and president of the education fund, who defended the entertainer's statements.

"Bill is saying let's fight the right fight, let's level the playing field," Jackson said. "Drunk people can't do that. Illiterate people can't do that."

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#47249 - 07/02/04 01:32 PM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: Captn_Thatch]
Flavius Offline
CoS Member

Loc: BridgePort
Bill Cosby has bucked the trends for years to become a positive black male role model. Now he continues the work by having the balls to say what needs to be said.

The time for blaming whitey is over. The black community needs to pull themselves up by their bootstaraps and get their share by showing that they deserve it.

#47250 - 07/02/04 01:57 PM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: Svengali]
Lovebeast Offline

Loc: Texas
I work in a job/area that is about 98% black men and women..for the past two years all I hear them do is bitch about their own race..Bill is cool, no doubt, but I don't think anything is going to make much of a difference with that American subculture(notice how I didn't say "race", I also work with African nationalists, and they are some of the hardest working people/students I've met).

#47251 - 07/02/04 02:47 PM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: Lovebeast]
Nails3_Jesus0 Offline

I dont respect bill cosby all that much. He seems rather critical of how other people run their families.

I do agree with the statement discussed here...

#47252 - 07/02/04 08:03 PM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: Svengali]
Wiley Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Augusta, GA
Aside from race, I think that chronic failures always need a scapegoat. For those among the black race who are failing, the white race is the scapegoat. For neopagans/wiccans/etc who are failing, Christianity is the scapegoat.

Cosby called on race issues specifically, but I think the chronic failures world-wide would do good to take his advice rather than blame others.

Then again, maybe it's better this way. It's alot easier to keep the herd sedate when they're either blaming each other or in church. I might be truly scared if half the people I had to deal with on a daily basis actually got motivated and took charge of their lives.

HS!

~Anybody can die, why be a follower? The trick is learning how to truly live.

My space on Myspace[/color]

#47253 - 07/02/04 09:19 PM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: Captn_Thatch]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I cheered when I read that today, but boy, is he going to get a whiny backlash from the PC crowd.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#47254 - 07/03/04 02:57 AM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: Svengali]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I've admired Bill Cosby for his stance for a long time. He is proof by example that blacks can be on equal terms.

It is sad irony that his son was killed by a black thug.

I sometimes wonder, if Dr. King were alive today, would he feel his work has paid off?

#47255 - 07/03/04 04:41 AM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

It is sad irony that his son was killed by a black thug.

I thought his son was murdered by a teenaged Ukrainian immigrant.
Prevention of Virtue

#47256 - 07/03/04 08:50 AM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: LKRice]
YoungSoulRebel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
News about the Ennis Cosby murder trial.

SANTA MONICA, California (CNN) -- Individual interviewing of prospective jurors in the trial of Michael Markhasev was to get under way on Tuesday, exactly 17 months after comedian Bill Cosby's only son was fatally shot to death.

Ennis Cosby, 27, was gunned down on January 16, 1997, after he pulled off a Los Angeles freeway to change a flat tire.

Police say Markhasev was out looking for drug money with a couple of friends, saw Cosby, then shot him during an attempted robbery.

guilty verdict in murder case

A jury in Santa Monica, California, has found Mikail Markhasev guilty of killing Bill Cosby's only son, Ennis, during a botched roadside robbery in January 1997.

more from CourtT.V.

Markhasev, a reputed gang member, was convicted of first-degree murder, attempted robbery and using a firearm in his botched January 1997 robbery of Cosby. He is currentlly serving a life sentence without parole.

Edited by LKRice (07/03/04 06:42 PM)

#47257 - 07/03/04 10:13 AM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: LKRice]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Well, that's what I get for relying on an erroneous source.

Thanks for the correction.

#47258 - 07/03/04 04:16 PM Re: Bill Cosby on Responsibility to the Responsible [Re: Captn_Thatch]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
I read that article last week.

Again, Mr. Cosby has shown an astute observation of the current counter-culture of enforced ignorance and stupidity that pervades low-income negroe communities.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

Forum Stats
12095 Members
73 Forums
43861 Topics
405458 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements