Topic Options
#472868 - 04/12/12 07:42 AM Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber
kalibhakta Offline

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in constructing a few props for a ritual chamber, specifically a circular Sigil of Baphomet plaque and a trapezoidal altar.

If anyone has any practical advice for their construction, or can point me in the right direction, I would be very interested in making these things myself even though both will be first attempts for me. Any and all advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#472869 - 04/12/12 07:52 AM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: kalibhakta]
kalibhakta Offline

OK, I will explain what is running through my head in relation to both projects to facilitate the brainstorming process.

1. For the Sigil of Baphomet, I am thinking of getting either an unfinished wooden plaque from an art supply store, or an unfinished circular table.

I have access to an image enlarger and although it might be hard to line up precisely, I am fairly certain that I could probably pull off a suitable tracing in pencil and work from there, after applying a base coat of white acrylic. The rest I will fill in with black acrylic.

2. For the altar, I imagine that I will need to construct a framework first, and then simply nail thin wooden boards to this for the shape.

My biggest concern here is that the angles may be hard to achieve. Also this would have to be structurally sound if it were to support any weight. I could not possibly ask a female friend to lay across it only to have it collapse!

As for the Sigil, I think I can manage fairly well, but if anyone has made this sort of thing before I am very interested to know what kind of paint and varnish seems to work best.

For the altar, I am rather clueless as to it's construction. Even pointing the way toward a book that describes how to build similar things would help a lot. I am definitely good at geometry, but have never bothered about building a three dimensional trapezoid before! So any practical knowledge in this area will be very helpful to me.

Thanks Again.

#475040 - 06/17/12 10:56 AM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: kalibhakta]
Mr_Darkside Offline

Loc: England, UK
I think a lot of the time people tend to put too much emphasis on the actual items we use in our rituals and not the ritual itself. When I first started wanting to use Greater Magic and perform my own rituals I was hesitant to perform anything at first until I had the "perfect" robe, the "right" chalice etc as described in The Satanic Bible. I somehow hadn't read the book properly, didn't understand the overall purpose of GM and ended up believing my magic wouldn't "work". For many people most of these things are not easily obtainable/costly. If you are eager to perform a ritual then use whatever you can find to achieve your basic setup. Currently I use a black table from a cheap shop as an altar, I have taken an old hooded gown and dyed it black with fabric dye, and for my sigil of Baphomet I drew the basic design onto some thick A3 cartridge paper and painted it.
For me these items are much more "magical" as I had to use some creativity in fashioning a ritual chamber from everyday items. I believe the fact I have had to channel energy into making them has aided me in much more successful workings. I'm sure after much thought you will find a way to make these items yourself without the help or advice of others. If you are skilled in arts the round table for the sigil sounds good, but I wouldn't know where to start on making an altar.

Hope this helps.

#475041 - 06/17/12 11:36 AM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: kalibhakta]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

What scare are you building the trapezoid? Are you really intending on it being able to support approximately 100 pounds? Are you wanting it to be a pyramidal trapezoid or more like a ramp?

Either way, I would begin with a 2x4 square structure then build the triangles for the sides off of the structure to guarantee as much uniformity as possible.

If you want it to support body weight I would be sure to use cross-members on the inside of the "cube" with metal plate supports on the joints. If you just want to use it to support "typical" ritual elements, you might be able to get away with drywall which you can mud and sand to be seamless and smooth.

An idea to search for that may provide more technical information would be schematics for a wooden stage, or even a fun box (a skateboard jump ramp mated to a square platform) scaled down might work.

Power tools and saws will be important if you want precision cuts with the 2x4s and outside angles. A pyramid will require matching angle cuts on the inside of the outside boards to make clean edges, and will be much more involved; stay away from cheap pressed particle board as it will be difficult to get a smooth surface unless you plan to cover it with carpet or fabric.

Ritual items are very personal, and the connection you have with the item is more important than anything else in my experience.

I hope this helps you out; it certainly sounds like an undertaking.

#475090 - 06/18/12 07:34 PM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: kalibhakta]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Here is a video of a guy building a trapezoid speaker case. All you need it to adapt the sizes to your convenience and of course skip the part where he installs the speakers inside. I hope it helps.

Here is another guy building trapezoid boxes for a gym.

#475092 - 06/18/12 07:58 PM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: Old_Pig]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Good call. I've built systems and didn't think of it at all... Doh! laugh

#475459 - 06/26/12 03:25 PM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: kalibhakta]
Marz Blaqk Offline

When I put together rituals I had a Baphomet flag/tapestry I hung behind the altar. I've been experimenting with shaped canvas and would like to make a nice big sigil but stretching a perfectly round canvas is extremely difficult.

If you're working with a round piece of wood, merely painting it might look a bit cheesy, like a prop in a high school play, so I would suggest etching or better yet burning the sigil into the wood once it is traced. Word burning tools are fairly cheap at Michaels craft store and they're always running specials!

#480845 - 09/21/12 04:11 AM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: kalibhakta]
Raine Offline

Loc: North Carolina
If you're using a wood plaque for the sigil, one trick to transfer the image is to print it in reverse/mirror image on a laser printer or run it through a copier, then place that image onto the wood and slowly iron with a dry clothe iron on medium-low heat.

It will transfer an almost perfect copy of the image onto the wood. I made my first sigil like this years ago, then went over the copy with a wood-burning tool to give it more depth. It came out pretty nice.

#480878 - 09/21/12 07:01 PM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: kalibhakta]
S810 Offline

Loc: northwest
I was able to procure an old overhead projector from the school district (for free smile ). What I did was have a photo copy of a sigil printed onto a clear transfer sheet (kinko's can to this) Then I just projected it onto the wall and painted it. As for my alter, I used an old coffee table that was made of 2x4's and placed full body mirrors (purchased at walmart for $5.00 each) around the bottom to hide the legs and angled them a bit. You can be very thrifty, or you can go extravagant depending on your budget and resources.

#483436 - 12/01/12 03:34 PM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: kalibhakta]
Red Silk Offline

Loc: Hungary
Hello! Here is the link to the pictures of my altar:
(second project on the page)
SLinie Art: Inner world
I used hand embroidery, other normal sewing techniques, the materials are from second hand clothes. These materials were very cheap but their quality is good. The textile parts of the altar and the book are my works. I constructed the trapezoidal form simply with old boxes fixed on a table, under the textile layers. Of course I use my altar safely because the lots of textiles. I must hide it frequently, but this altar is very mobile. The book was made from silk, cotton and paper.

(Slow Fox from the movie "Kopfüber ins Glück")

#483454 - 12/01/12 09:12 PM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: Red Silk]
Waya Offline
CoS Member

This is very a unique setup. Nice job! It looks very comfortable in there too. smile

Thanks for sharing.

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#484542 - 12/30/12 08:36 AM Re: Constructing Props For A Ritual Chamber [Re: Waya]
Red Silk Offline

Loc: Hungary
Thank you!

(Slow Fox from the movie "Kopfüber ins Glück")

Forum Stats
12154 Members
73 Forums
43917 Topics
405731 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements