Topic Options
#473072 - 04/16/12 08:43 PM Just a quick question regarding my musical taste
Garm Offline

Loc: Norway
Ok, so, i looked up some posts i made earlier and came across a post made by Hagen von Tronje who wrote:
Quote:
"The Church of Satan universally and unequivocally condemns all criminal activity, no matter who the target is. Burning churches is not acceptable. No further commentary needed.

Regarding music, it's up to the individual. But championing criminal scumbags will never fly with us."

I post this thread and quote the post above since i am a big fan of "extreme music" (as it is called) and Black Metal is one of the genres i truly enjoy; as is known to include a few artists that have been behind bars for various criminal actions. So, many of the bands have had artists who are "criminal scumbags". Now i guess i would have to clarify that i do not agree with killing people, and burning churches wont solve anything.

When speaking of "criminal scumbags" i am not sure who is to be put in that category; what qualifies for that title and where is the line drawn? If the use of drugs is enough i would dare to say alot of members are "championing" one or more "criminal scumbags".

Guess my main point and question is if the fact that i like Black Metal, Death Metal, etc, will be a problem in this community? Would appreciate a clarification before taking another step into the Church of Satan.

Edited by Garm (04/16/12 09:16 PM)

#473074 - 04/16/12 09:16 PM Re: Just a quick question regarding my musical taste [Re: Garm]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The quote makes more sense in context. It was in response to a discussion related to High Priest Gilmore's opinion on crimes committed by black metal musicians.

The point is that the art and artist are separate things. In other words, your musical tastes are your own, but that is a separate matter from endorsing the musician himself - and in this case, we unquestionably do not endorse the musicians.

Surely you don't think we tell you what you can and cannot listen to?

#473075 - 04/16/12 09:26 PM Re: Just a quick question regarding my musical taste [Re: Garm]
Garm Offline

Loc: Norway
Oh, ok. Then i must have overlooked those posts or my lack of sleep got the better of me (maybe even both to be honest). Sorry about that.

But no, of course not. I would never think that and would never even be here if i thought The Church of Satan tried to tell me what i can or can not listen to.

But my question seem to have been clarified and knowing that my musical interest will not be a problem is good to know. Good to get it clarified before taking the final decision on becoming a member on this forum and in The Church of Satan.

Thanks for your time and help.

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406348 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements