Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#474069 - 05/02/12 01:47 PM Re: A Raequest [Re: StabAvery]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: StabAvery
The language barrier is a tough one. That is why I brought up using society's structured definition of the words. If you think morals come from god and I think ethics are some kind of shoe, we are going to go through a lot of wine before coming to no conclusion. wink

Sometimes I have to think by my native language what I would like to say in english, so yes. It sometimes is little limiting. But I am not whining, it is my decision to take part to these discussion and I enjoy them lot.. smile

My problem is that I don't believe in any God/-s and I have been raised in Christian country where idea of moral is very strictly tied to the idea of Christian moral. I knew already when I was a child that Bible is fairytale, so I left the church as soon as I was able to do it. I studied lot of religious stuff before Church of Satan, mostly Buddhism and Taoism. Also some Shamanism, Bible, Quoran and stuff.. I changed the term moral quite early to word ethic cause I didn't want to end up to protect my views only with religious terms. This habit I have kept my whole life. Like I said in earlier post 'I don't try to claim nothing exist, I just don't call it moral'.

Of course I admit that taking part to discussion about moral philosophy may have been mistake without using the correct term, cause most see these things through philosophical literature where the terminology has been performed very correctly..

#474072 - 05/02/12 03:09 PM Re: A Request [Re: StabAvery]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
This is a very good point.

It can actually be a really fun exercise to explore the semantic space of a word, the various meanings it can have in common use (rarely, if ever, do words mean only one thing), the etymology and history of a word, the technical adaptations and specialized uses in various fields, etc. etc. Even in philosophy, there are multiple conceptions of "morality" or "ethics" on offer, more or less precise, more or less close to popular usage, emerging from over 400 years' worth of English language writings on the nature of morality.

Edited by reprobate (05/02/12 03:10 PM)

#474097 - 05/03/12 02:42 AM Re: A Request [Re: reprobate]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: reprobate
This is a very good point.

It can actually be a really fun exercise to explore the semantic space of a word, the various meanings it can have in common use (rarely, if ever, do words mean only one thing), the etymology and history of a word, the technical adaptations and specialized uses in various fields, etc. etc. Even in philosophy, there are multiple conceptions of "morality" or "ethics" on offer, more or less precise, more or less close to popular usage, emerging from over 400 years' worth of English language writings on the nature of morality.

the moral as term means many things so to be able to discuss about moral as subject we should first give meaning to the term moral, or ethic. I mean if they mean different things to two persons how could they discuss about it objectively. For Christian for example moral is in their dogma, when I as Satanist think that obeying the dogma in the fear of punishment is not moral activity but morelike 'self defence' against punishment. Being moral would require also will to act with moral codes to be morally right.

In my native language we have term which could be translated like 'double moral'. This term means people who have strict moral codes for their social role, but another way to act behind the curtains, for example Priest who teaches love and acts as pedophile himself. I think if there would not be any inner sense of ethic (or moral) then we would all have to be like that person who obeys the rules just cause he fears the punishmet!

Edited by Janina (05/03/12 02:47 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12157 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405737 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements