Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#474781 - 05/18/12 02:49 AM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: Bill_M]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: Bill_M
I've wondered how sXe as a music genre was ever able to survive, because in my experience the entire music club scene is pretty much based on the business of selling alcohol.

I was once in local Metal Club listening few New school Hardcore bands and started to think this same. the whole club was full of bald, tattooed guys and pierced girls who didnīt drink anything in the whole evening. Bar was completely empty and bartenders just chatted with each others cause had nothing else to do.

I guess that is the reason why these SxE gigs are so rare and when bands come to play tickets cost more than with other (non-SxE) punk and hardcore bands..

#474785 - 05/18/12 04:15 AM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: Tony Nine]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Early on in the Punk scene many teenagers couldn't go and see the bands they liked because they weren't old enough to drink and all the bands, of course, were playing nightclubs.

That's how the black X's on the hands started. The band Minor Threat came up with the idea of marking younger fans with a black X. Teenage fans agreed to being marked with an X - and if they were caught drinking they got thrown out and missed the gig. Other bands and club owners also adopted the idea.

That's all it was. So it wasn't originally a movement pertaining to abstinence, it was simply a pragmatic solution to letting young kids see bands play.

Afterwards the practice grew into something of a more contrived ideology.

#474789 - 05/18/12 06:37 AM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Reverend Drake, the people want to know, would you ever give up your whiskey and go straight edge? grin

#474797 - 05/18/12 09:22 AM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: RoyceDavis]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: RollsRoyce
I prefer people who choose to be identified by what they do, instead of what they don't do.

Exactly right. Nail, hit, head.

Originally Posted By: Reprobate
When they started singing about their new faith, they effectively introduced a genre they called "Krishnacore".

This conjures up so very many delightful images for me.

The mosh pit must be a thing to behold.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#474800 - 05/18/12 09:59 AM JUDGE- "What Was Said and Where It Went" (unfinished documentary) [Re: Tony Nine]
Prometheus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
Here is what I found quite a nice documentary about the sXe - band Judge. Aside from portraying the genesis of the band, it sheds light on some of the internals of the sXe scene at that time & especially the violence at shows. What I always found interesting is the fact that Judge were one of the bands that brought a more militant feel into the scene, but were then shocked about the actual violence that took place at their shows. This was actually the main reason for them to split up.

HAIL SATAN!

Prometheus

#474815 - 05/18/12 03:19 PM Re: JUDGE- "What Was Said and Where It Went" (unfinished documentary) [Re: Tony Nine]
Farmer Frown Offline

Loc: Nebraska
It seems the hypocrisy that condemns the Christians is also found in the sXe movement. My own experience has been nothing, but negative. Every time I have encountered them they're preachy, self denying punks, but can't hold a job and would rather punch a opportunity in the jaw than show up on time and work for their pay.

"It's great. We knew nothing about the sin before you came here." - Old Kazakh Joke

#474825 - 05/18/12 08:00 PM Re: JUDGE- "What Was Said and Where It Went" (unfinished documentary) [Re: Farmer Frown]
Tony Nine Offline

I've worked with a person who identifies as Straight Edge and he was a very realistic, respectful, practical, down-to-earth guy. On the other end of the spectrum I've attended local shows where the people there immediately preach to the face and talk shit as soon as an outsider hits the door.

Krishnacore, veganism, vegetarianism, fascism, letting minks out of a cage, knocking over people's beers, wearing a hat, writing in cursive etc, are at the discretion of individuals. Yes, they identify with what they don't do rather than do, and extend out from there. TSB had my attention in the 90's because it WASN'T spiritual, and was "opposite", and then I read on and learned further. "Without the wonderful element of doubt...", as Dr. LaVey said.

The music ranges from POSI (positive) to the more militant on the metal side. I have never claimed Edge, but I think the music is very inspirational depending on context and mood. Optimistic? Listen to some Good Clean Fun or Gorilla Biscuits. Pissed off at junkies or drunks? Listen to xBishopx or xAFBx.

Prometheus, the Judge documentary link was great. I've not yet seen that until now.

Ironically enough the man who coined the term "Straight Edge" never meant for it to be a movement, gang, or reason to act holier-than-thou. If I may link a short snippet of an interview with Ian Mackaye ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRcxW_pFN9o

Edited by Tony Nine (05/18/12 08:40 PM)

#474901 - 05/20/12 12:41 AM Re: JUDGE- "What Was Said and Where It Went" (unfinished documentary) [Re: Tony Nine]
Tony Nine Offline

As a side note, and I say this with all good humor intended, it is clear there are three types of individuals. Those who most definitely know what they are talking about, those that googled and or wiki'd the subject, and those who have zero overall knowledge of the topic except what they've been subjected to or told. Stratification works. As LaVey said, "...it's not even asked for". Kinda paraphrasing.

Edited by Tony Nine (05/20/12 12:46 AM)

#475460 - 06/26/12 03:37 PM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: Tony Nine]
Marz Blaqk Offline

I'm a huge fan of the hardcore movement, and I do think it's great that a group of young punks were able to rebel within the rebellion, but I do agree some people take it too far.
The beliefs and practices of others should be respected, but that respect is lost when the practice causes them to exalt themselves over any other system.
I know a lot of punks, and usually the straight-edge kids are assholes. They still fight and break shit like the rest of them. I lose all respect for someone the second I see them looking down their nose.
There are plenty of Satanists that abhor the use of drugs as they are under the impression that it makes one weak, but I personally think that's purely situational.

Edited by Marz Blaqk (06/26/12 04:08 PM)

#475463 - 06/26/12 03:56 PM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: Marz Blaqk]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: Marz Blaqk

There are plenty of Satanists that abhor the use of drugs as they are under the impression that it makes one weak, but I personally think that's purely situational.

I think you should read these two threads about druguse and Satanism before advertising the drugs and use of them here:

LaVey/CoS and Drug Use
The Church of Satan's Policy on Drug Abuse

#475464 - 06/26/12 03:57 PM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: Marz Blaqk]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: Marz Blaqk

I personally am a big fan of drugs, but only the ones that can inspire or enhance my creativity.

So, precisely none of them, then. You must mean the ones which distort your perception of reality to the point where you believe they are doing something to "inspire your creativity", which is precisely all of them.

Edited by TheDegenerate (06/26/12 04:03 PM)

#475466 - 06/26/12 04:05 PM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: TheDegenerate]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Perhaps she means coffee and tea, both legal sources of a clinically proven nootropic IQ enhancer, caffeine?

Probably not though, huh?

A ban is likely imminent, but I have extra rope today.

Edited by Daark (06/26/12 04:06 PM)

#475468 - 06/26/12 04:24 PM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: Tony Nine]
Marz Blaqk Offline

Removed by Moderator.

Edited by Daark (06/27/12 09:52 AM)

#475469 - 06/26/12 04:24 PM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: Marz Blaqk]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Goodbye.

#475470 - 06/26/12 04:35 PM Re: Opinions of Straight Edge? [Re: Quaark]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: Daark
Perhaps she means coffee and tea, both legal sources of a clinically proven nootropic IQ enhancer, caffeine?

Probably not though, huh?

A ban is likely imminent, but I have extra rope today.

...Guess not.

grin

Lousy gubberments!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12085 Members
73 Forums
43862 Topics
405448 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements