Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#474716 - 05/17/12 01:49 AM Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show
Unknown Offline
Unknown

This just goes to show you that Satanists have wills of iron.

Joe Pyne was cursed by Anton LaVey and died.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kqb54soKU8M

#474729 - 05/17/12 09:50 AM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Unknown]
Sanguinary Offline

Hail Unknown

I’m not familiar with this comment “Joe Pyne was cursed by Anton LaVey and died”. I’m assuming that it’s derived from the chapter 'Curses & Coincidences'.- ~ The Secret Life Of A Satanist (1990) by Blanche Barton.

I watched the Youtube video clip you submitted in your post and the interview that Joe Pyne had with Anton La Vey.

The blurb attributed to Warlock Blackthorne from that video clip below seems to quote the book just mentioned stating that “Pyne dies within a few months of having LaVey on his show".

The youtube video states the interview took place ‘circa 1967’ which is possibly up to three years (36 months) before Joe Pyne died on 23 March 1970 after developing lung cancer from chain smoking - not a few months later. Joe Pyne referred to his cigarettes as ‘coffin nails’ so I guess he wasn’t wrong on that score.

As for Anton La Vey cursing Joe Pyne – where’s that derived from exactly? The interview as far as I saw wasn’t vitriolic or violent. Joe Pyne was renowned for a number of these scenarios where people would hurl chairs at him.

His treatment of Anton LaVey was somewhat humourous at times unlike how he might be treated now by people like Bill O’Reilly, Glenn Beck, Martin Bashir or Chris Matthews. Anton La Vey took it in his stride and was clearly the better man – calm, measured, staying on course. Joe Pyne was acting like a smart-arse and at best flippant but not antagonistic as he was known to be with other guests.

The blurb from the video attributed to Warlock Blackthorne also states that “the same went for Lou Gordon the previous year”. Lou Gordon died in May 24, 1977 not 1969. Was Anton La Vey interviewed by him as well? Did Anton La Vey curse Lou Gordon and why?

Lastly I’m not sure how these supposed curses relates to Satanists having “wills of iron”. I’m assuming I’m missing something out of cultural disparity i.e. I’m from Australia and you from the U.S or is it an in-house Satanist knowledge thing that I’m unaware of. Bewildered and seeking clarification.

Infernal regards

Sanguinary

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

#474730 - 05/17/12 10:41 AM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Sanguinary]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:

I’m not familiar with this comment “Joe Pyne was cursed by Anton LaVey and died”. I’m assuming that it’s derived from the chapter 'Curses & Coincidences'.- ~ The Secret Life Of A Satanist (1990) by Blanche Barton.

That is correct. It is all on page 197 in The Secret Life of a Satanist.

Quote:
Lastly I’m not sure how these supposed curses relates to Satanists having “wills of iron”.

Well you said it yourself here, Anton La Vey took it in his stride and was clearly the better man – calm, measured, staying on course. Joe Pyne was acting like a smart-arse and at best flippant but not antagonistic as he was known to be with other guests.

Anton LaVey didn't feed into his foolishness. It takes self discipline to do what he did and so thus a will of iron.

Edited by Unknown (05/17/12 10:43 AM)

#474731 - 05/17/12 10:47 AM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Sanguinary]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

From The Secret Life of a Satanist by Magistra Blanche Barton, Chapter Seventeen (Curses and Coincidences), page 197:

"1969: LaVey agreed to appear on Lou Gordon's hot seat television show in Detroit even though it is Halloween night and Anton has other commitments. The producer promises to get Diane and Anton to the airport in time to catch their plane. The show starts late, drags on , and with their flight time growing closer and closer, Gordon ridicules LaVey's odd beliefs. Finally Diane storms onscreen, says, "Come on, we've got a plane to catch", and rushes LaVey off the set. A friend rushes through a merciless storm to get the LaVey's to the airport in time. Airline personnel are just about to pull away the boarding ramp as the LaVey's run to the plane and jump on. As the plane takes off, LaVey vents his considerable anger. The city blacks out beneath them as they lift clear of the runway. A few days layer, upon returning to San Francisco, LaVey writes a formal curse on blood-red Church of Satan stationary and sends it to Mr. Gordon, who reads it on his next broadcast, laughing and scoffing. Gordon dies within the year.

1970: LaVey consents to appear on reactionary Joe Pyne's hot-seat radio show during which LaVey is treated to Pyne's unusually caustic tongue. Pyne dies within a few months of having LaVey on his show."

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#474732 - 05/17/12 11:04 AM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Phineas]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Thank´s for details Magister!

#474791 - 05/18/12 06:45 AM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Unknown]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
This give me the creeps vomit

It's funny how ugly and ignorant people often act hostile against people who are more intelligent, and better looking than them!

I love how calm LaVey was here! - I don't consider myself a Satanist, but I really like LaVey.... he will always be a true genius!!!

#474792 - 05/18/12 06:51 AM Anton LaVey's superiority on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Phineas]
Sanguinary Offline

Hail Phineas

Thanks for providing some clarification. I guess the facts speak for themselves. I’m not doubting the effect of Anton La Vey’s imprecations. Thanks to his teachings I’ve delivered a few successful ones myself. My confusion was with the distorted chronology of the events and the obfuscation of the message.

In the interview with Joe Pyne (and presumably it was the same with Lou Gordon, though I couldn’t find this on the Internet) I didn’t see an iron will displayed so much as courage, calmness, lucidity of thought, control and power.

Joe Pyne was just nattering in the background. Joe Pyne is like a ram amongst a faithful audience of sheep. He just bleats louder than the rest of them. In contrast Dr La Vey was more like a lion, biding his time, waiting for the right time to strike. That’s not so much a will of iron which implies you’re contending against a formidable enemy, (Joe Pyne wasn’t) but rather superiority and dominance.

Infernal regards

Sanguinary

#474794 - 05/18/12 07:52 AM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
I need to add something here, I love comedy, but this isn't funny, because it takes intelligence to be really funny!

He didn't understand LaVey, so his ''humor'' was weak! - You need to feel at least a little sympathy ( against your ''enemies'' ) to be really funny.

#474795 - 05/18/12 08:31 AM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: LightAngel]
Sanguinary Offline

Hail LightAngel

You're right on the money there. His humour was lame. Most of these loud-mouthed opinionated talk show pundits are.

As you said "You need to feel at least a little sympathy ( against your ''enemies'' ) to be really funny". I find that's the case with Jon Stewart and Bill Maher.

Good communicating with you again, LightAngel.

Infernal regards

Sanguinary

#474816 - 05/18/12 03:58 PM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Sanguinary]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
Quote:
The interview as far as I saw wasn’t vitriolic or violent. Joe Pyne was renowned for a number of these scenarios where people would hurl chairs at him.

His treatment of Anton LaVey was somewhat humourous at times unlike how he might be treated now by people like Bill O’Reilly, Glenn Beck, Martin Bashir or Chris Matthews. Anton La Vey took it in his stride and was clearly the better man – calm, measured, staying on course. Joe Pyne was acting like a smart-arse and at best flippant but not antagonistic as he was known to be with other guests.

These are exactly my thoughts. I watched this interview several times, though the earlier versions on youtube were shorter, now we have a full interview. The comments under it are a bit surprising, the people's outrage is a bit far-fetched. This was a light and humorous conversation, I really enjoyed it.

As for Joe Pyne, I do not think that he was hostile, he was just being funny and tried to entertain his audience. Was it at Anton LaVey's cost? Perhaps, a little, but LaVey laughed and joked too and did not seem to be offended. Sometimes, it is healthy to laugh at yourself, not to take yourself and also other people so seriously.

Was Joe Pyne ignorant? I did not watch his other interviews, perhaps he was really a bigot and stupid, though he did not look like that in this interview. This show is from 1967 and the Church of Satan was only a year old. It was something new. Nowadays, people think that they are oh so wise because they can google it.

#474817 - 05/18/12 04:10 PM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: anna]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

You and others who are saying the same thing have missed a small detail: that video is from the TV show.

From my post above: "1970: LaVey consents to appear on reactionary Joe Pyne's hot-seat radio show during which LaVey is treated to Pyne's unusually caustic tongue. Pyne dies within a few months of having LaVey on his show."

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#474820 - 05/18/12 04:59 PM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Phineas]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
Quote:
You and others who are saying the same thing have missed a small detail: that video is from the TV show.

From my post above: "1970: LaVey consents to appear on reactionary Joe Pyne's hot-seat radio show during which LaVey is treated to Pyne's unusually caustic tongue. Pyne dies within a few months of having LaVey on his show."

I was talking about the video from the original post and the comments that appeared on youtube under this video (the TV show), not about other Joe Pyne interviews, because I did not watch or hear them.

#474821 - 05/18/12 05:26 PM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: anna]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

The one you have not heard is the one relevant to the comments in The Secret Life of a Satanist.

The video does not reflect the events that transpired on the radio show.

#474828 - 05/18/12 08:50 PM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Phineas]
Sanguinary Offline

Hail Phineas

You stated above in response to Anna that "You and others who are saying the same thing have missed a small detail: that video is from the TV show. From my post above: "1970: LaVey consents to appear on reactionary Joe Pyne's hot-seat radio show during which LaVey is treated to Pyne's unusually caustic tongue. Pyne dies within a few months of having LaVey on his show.""

Joe Pyne did not have a hot seat radio show in 1970, he was dying of lung cancer and he had quit performing on television and radio in 1969. Refer to the website - Find a grave

"http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?GRid=6921611&page=gr"

and the quote below from the respective webpage on Joe Pyne:

"A heavy chain-smoker, he once said that although he realized cigarettes might cause cancer, he would "rather take a chance than be a fat neurotic." When he learned he had cancer, he stopped smoking. For a few months he began broadcasting from his home until he quit radio and TV in 1969 due to the illness. He died of lung cancer at the age of 44. He was cremated, and the ashes given to his family".

You also stated that:

"The one you have not heard is the one relevant to the comments in The Secret Life of a Satanist. The video does not reflect the events that transpired on the radio show."

The one that I heard as well as Anna, being the video posted above is the only interview between Anton La Vey and Joe Pyne. If reference was being made to the supposed radio show then that should have been clearly stated and differentiated which has contributed to this confusion, but that's neither here nor there as I don't think there ever was a radio show in 1970 as already stated.

Also Joe Pyne didn't have a Hot Seat radio show. This commenced in 1983 with a citation from wikipedia below:

"Hot Seat is a syndicated, politically oriented, though often satirical and comedic television talk-show that began in the early 1980s, hosted by conservative commentator Wally George. It was shot in the studios of KDOC, a UHF television station licensed to (and, at the time, having their studios in) Anaheim, California. ... George drew most of his ideas and interviewing style from a 1960s radio and TV host named Joe Pyne".

Lastly the other comment that you quoted from the book doesn't stack up either:

"1969: LaVey agreed to appear on Lou Gordon's hot seat television show in Detroit ... A few days layer, upon returning to San Francisco, LaVey writes a formal curse on blood-red Church of Satan stationary and sends it to Mr. Gordon, who reads it on his next broadcast, laughing and scoffing. Gordon dies within the year."

Lou Gordon died on May 24, 1977 not 1969.

The facts speak for themselves.

Infernal regards

Samguinary

#474832 - 05/18/12 09:31 PM Re: Anton LaVey on the Joe Pyne Show [Re: Sanguinary]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

If the 1969 date doesn't appear correct so be it. Magistra Barton reported the events as they were told to her years later.

The Hot Seat show you refer to is different than calling a show a hot seat show. That was the term used in the day to describe the confrontational style of that type of show.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12105 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405516 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements