Topic Options
#475032 - 06/17/12 08:33 AM Books for Lesser Magic
Numb-Lock Offline

I apologize if this topic is not normally discussed here, or has a place on another part of the forum.

I was curious about what some of the CoS members here use for methods of lesser magic. I have Corinda's book 13 steps to Mentalism, and Dale Carnagie's book, as well as Practical mental Magic by Annenman. I am looking to expand my library on other topics and hoping for some personal tips on daily use of lesser magic.

#475036 - 06/17/12 10:15 AM Re: Books for Lesser Magic [Re: Numb-Lock]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Have you already read the Satanic Witch? There is a relatively long bibliography in the appendix of related books on a variety of topics.

Lesser magic topics are typically relegated to the CoS Members forums.

#475039 - 06/17/12 10:35 AM Re: Books for Lesser Magic [Re: Numb-Lock]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Piggyback'd to Psychotherapeut's reply, I strongly recommend The Compleat Witch Bibliography Project. Incredible wealth of information.

Also. Not a book but something I've personally found useful and maybe not previously mentioned here, Penn & Teller's 7 Principles of Sleight of Hand. With a little imagination, a little metaphor perhaps, I think it's possible to see how they can be applied to all kinds of circumstances.

Perception is squishy, malleable stuff; people see what they want to see. Learning the mechanisms of why and how allows you to manipulate the outcome; now people see what you want them to see. Same root idea, I think, that is explored in TSW.

"[Teller] wants his tricks to reveal the everyday fraud of perception so that people become aware of the tension between what is and what seems to be. Our brains don't see everything—the world is too big, too full of stimuli. So the brain takes shortcuts, constructing a picture of reality with relatively simple algorithms for what things are supposed to look like. Magicians capitalize on those rules." (Fantastic, detailed article about "neuroscience of illusion")

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#475042 - 06/17/12 11:41 AM Re: Books for Lesser Magic [Re: Shade]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Awesome! Penn and Teller are great... grin

#475055 - 06/17/12 06:08 PM Re: Books for Lesser Magic [Re: Numb-Lock]
Numb-Lock Offline

Thanks for they replys, much appreciated.

#475066 - 06/18/12 12:55 AM Re: Books for Lesser Magic [Re: Numb-Lock]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
How To Win Friends & Influence People by Carnegie is beyond a doubt an ideal choice as well as The Satanic Witch.

I would also advise reading up on Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) and the Enneagram theory (especially Riso and Hudson). Selections on these fields of study are very numerous indeed.

Enjoy!

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#475097 - 06/18/12 11:02 PM Re: Books for Lesser Magic [Re: Numb-Lock]
wolfzangel Offline

Post removed by Moderator for its lack of any useful content which contributes to the discussion, combined with an absence of any sort of class.

Do better.

Edited by Daark (06/19/12 09:44 AM)

#475098 - 06/18/12 11:49 PM Re: Books for Lesser Magic [Re: Numb-Lock]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

When it comes to Lesser Magic the best thing you can do is immerse yourself in as many as topics as possible. The more you know the more you are capable of adapting to any situation and exploiting the information you have available to you.

So reading and obtaining books such as The Satanic Witch as well as others are a start. It is what you do that really counts. If you wish to use Lesser Magic in a specific situation or topic it helps to know a bit about both. The Balance Factor is always in play.

Good luck in your research!

#475109 - 06/19/12 07:41 AM Re: Books for Lesser Magic [Re: Numb-Lock]
Numb-Lock Offline

Thanks for the recommendations. I have read some general overview of NLP, and I have a copy of Dale's book, also a book called Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher. I have also read the Satanic Witch at least twice from cover to cover.

Forum Stats
12090 Members
73 Forums
43862 Topics
405449 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements