Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#475112 - 06/19/12 10:50 AM What Does Satanism Mean To You?
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I found this video very captivating and felt I agreed with all of the thoughts and feelings of those who share them. It was a very good clip and leaves a very posing question,

What is Satanism to you?

Satanism to me is being in touch with your inner most desires. It is about recognition and acceptance of that beast. Satanism is what my heart beats to everyday. It is the love of life and saying FUCK YOU to death!!!! It is like a secret that the world need not know but I know and keep with me everyday.

Edited by Unknown (06/19/12 10:51 AM)

#475120 - 06/19/12 12:40 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Unknown]
Plague Offline

Loc: Ohio
Great video and good discussion point. When I first watched this video it was hard for me to put my thoughts into a tight, succinct order because there are so many ways that Satanism has improved or defined my life. If I had to sum it up neatly, I would have to say that to me Satanism means discovery. I remember back to my mid teen years when I first encountered the Satanic Bible and saw myself reflected in its pages. It was the first time that I knew there were others like me. Now, some 14 years later, a long and not always easy road has bore out a man more committed now than ever to living a Satanic lifestyle and philosophy. Pragmatically speaking, it works for me. However, it's more than that because it's something that I cannot control. I was born into this. Never quitting, always striving to be the best, forever involving myself in new intellectual and carnal pursuits, and never succumbing to the pressures or expectations of cretinous troglodytes who may try to bring me down has forged a will of iron that I proudly display. I'm a much better man, husband, and father than I would have been had Dr. Laveys first offering not ended up in my hands.

#475121 - 06/19/12 01:13 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Unknown]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
I generally don't respond to these as there have been so many like this in the past, but over the years my understanding of Satanism has improved, and what it means to me to adopt the philosophy as my own and adhere to its principles has changed somewhat.

Satanism goes hand in hand with elitism; as a Satanist, I strive to push the limits of my potential as a human being, to separate myself from the crowd not by any superficial, external means, but instead by simply bettering myself and trying to everyday to fulfill my own personal goals. Although Satanism is about indulgence, I think there is a great deal of personal sacrifice involved as well, because it is all too easy for most to fall into a life of complacency, where everything is easy and only remotely satisfying. I have had to work very hard to get what I want out of my life, but the rewards have been far more worth it than lying down in defeat and absorbing the world around me ever could be.

In the beginning I didn't understand this, and I was under the false impression that simply believing I was better would make it so. In fact, when I look back at my life so far, the "me" I despised the most was actually me six or seven years ago when I first discovered The Satanic Bible, and created my own interpretation of what being elite really meant. I was a hateful, selfish (to the point of actual detriment) loathsome little worm who had no respect for anything, and my own misinterpretation of the text enforce this attitude. Of course, there is no wake up call such as reality, and when I realized I had alienated everyone around me, and used Satanism as an excuse for my mistakes rather than using it as an inspiration to correct them, I quickly discovered what a detriment I was being, to myself - something that was no fault of The Satanic Bible, if I haven't made that point clear enough.

I will always feel like an outsider, but I no longer let that embitter me, and have found my own way to embrace it. I don't talk about my chosen religion to anyone; even my own wife isn't aware that it is still something I follow. You will never see a Baphomet symbol in my house or on my body. I keep it where it counts; in my head, and that is where it helps me the most as an individual. Satanism is about embracing reality for what it is, accepting our role as the most dangerous animals on the planet, learning to work within the boundaries of that role, and achieving personal mastery over the self, ones goals, and dreams.

It is about knowing what you want in life, and achieving it; not trying to achieve it, not accepting failure, but recognizing your own strengths and flaws and utilizing them to reach your highest potential. Period.

#475124 - 06/19/12 02:36 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Unknown]
DamnedLucky Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
It's a new toolset. It does more for me the more I familiarize myself with it. But it takes discipline for me to use it.

I'm envious of those who discover Satanism in their teens, before they've become successful through other less productive means. The toughest tools to replace are the subpar ones I've unwittingly mastered.

#475125 - 06/19/12 02:43 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Unknown]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Being free.
Being responsible.
Being proud.
Having fun.

#475126 - 06/19/12 03:04 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: reprobate]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
Being free.
Being responsible.
Being proud.
Having fun.

Love it!

I would love to make a sign that says this and hang it on my door.

#475127 - 06/19/12 03:07 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: TheDegenerate]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
I generally don't respond to these as there have been so many like this in the past, but over the years my understanding of Satanism has improved, and what it means to me to adopt the philosophy as my own and adhere to its principles has changed somewhat.

Well I really do appreciate what you have shared here. I don't think I ever heard how you felt about this and found it to be very powerful.

#475128 - 06/19/12 03:15 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Unknown]
Numb-Lock Offline

Enjoyment of Life- something not taught to me when I was a child of Orthodox Presbyterian stock. Even children's card games (Magic, Poke'mon, Dungeons and Dragons) were of the Devil's brand. This has inspired me to make my own "card game" a Satanic Card Game. ~Life is the Great Indulgence, Death the great Abstinence~ -Dr. LaVey

Realist Philosophy - Opportunity to read great men like Nieschze, Hume, Magus LaVey, Magus Gilmore, Ayn Rand, Richard Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Denett, Etc.

Magical Practice - My personal pursuit of magical power, within the proper context, see next.

Self Discipline - A Satanist is the highest pinnacle of life, thus I hold myself to the highest standard, as a balance for my Epicurean lifestyle.

On the lighter side it gives me a moniker that I personally enjoy! Rather than the RHP's constant need to display their titles and badges in plain sight for people to "behold how holy than you" they think they are.

It has also filled a gap of "wicked posturing" I have felt since I was a child in a strict Christian home. There are times when I can pull the black hood down around my face and be "Evil" and "Sinister." Yet, I can still maintain a sense of rationality. All thanks to Dr. LaVey and Magus Gilmore.

Btw, what the African American fellow said about Satanism being a synthesis of the best pagan principles and modern views I absolutely agree with. On top of that throughout my travels on the internet I have found Traditional Witchcraft forums, not wicca, that have embraced the tenants in the Satanic Bible. Many Traditional Witches saying that there is more than 50% of their religious practice agreeing with the Satanic Bible.

In some ways it was Paganism that led me to Satanism. I left New Age/Paganism because of the reasons that Dr. LaVey gave. It was infected with White-light concepts and hackneyed principles that stunted its growth.

Edited by Triath (06/19/12 03:25 PM)

#475141 - 06/19/12 07:35 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Unknown]
JDBones Offline

To me, Satanism is like me being good to myself.
From a different standpoint, Satanism is like a good mom that buys her boy everything he points his finger at. And at the same time, recently, everytime I realize I've done a mistake and think about it - I find that I've neglected a Satanic rule.

And yes, as DamnedLucky said: "I'm envious of those who discover Satanism in their teens." But I'm also very happy I discovered it at all, so I think it's never too late.

"'cause down here in Hell everybody loves Me!"
("Hell Is Home", Judas Priest)

#475153 - 06/20/12 11:36 AM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: DamnedLucky]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: DamnedLucky

I'm envious of those who discover Satanism in their teens, before they've become successful through other less productive means.

Damned Lucky...I do not wish to detract from what you said; but rather point a couple of things out. First…whether you knew what the word meant, if you are a Satanist, you have always been a Satanist. Second…I invite you to read the post Citizen Degenerate made in this thread. All of us…Satanists included…become who we are by a series of trial and error.

Perhaps one of the most common fantasies among intelligent people is the ability to return to an earlier state, while retaining the knowledge we have gained in life. The paradox is, we have gained this knowledge through a series of trial and error. I do not know for certain; but, I would wager that you have learned much more from your mistakes than successes.

Those who discovered Satanism in their teens have become who they are through the same process as the rest of us. Forgive me for latching onto your post; but. I too have shared the same wish of discovering Satanism at a younger age.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#475158 - 06/20/12 01:35 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Those who discovered Satanism in their teens have become who they are through the same process as the rest of us. Forgive me for latching onto your post; but. I too have shared the same wish of discovering Satanism at a younger age.

Like Warlock Roho said the process with all the Satanists is actually the same, we encounter with the Satanism and find ourself from the philosophy. Cause Satanists are born, not made, we are what we are no matter did we find the teachings when we were fifteen or fifty!

I would not describe lived live with terms like lost time or phrases like that. Life makes us what we are and we make our own success as individuals. So finding the Satanic Bible does not change us anyway or make us to be anything we would not already be, though we have already been Satanists from the day we were born!

#475163 - 06/20/12 04:01 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Unknown]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Satan? Mean?

The devil ain't never been mean to me. Satan's the homie! coopdevil

#475166 - 06/20/12 05:44 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Janina]
DamnedLucky Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Thank you Janina and Roho for your responses. I agree with you completely that Satanists are born and not made. However, that's exactly what I was trying to get away from.

Things that I was born with don't make me proud - being white, American, a Satanist... But if you view Satanism as a toolset (I know I'm not the first to promote the tool idea), then it's no longer something you're born with. It's something you have to recognize the quality of despite public opinion, consciously choose to use despite old habits, and be clever enough to master despite whatever gene pool you emerged from.

THAT is something to proud of.

For me, Satanism doesn't mean being who I was born to be. For me, Satanism means operating with a particular toolset. The latter is both harder and more rewarding, even if it sounds overly pragmatic and uninspired.

#475223 - 06/21/12 04:10 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
JDBones Offline

I agree with the trial and error notion mentioned above because I bought and read the Satanic Bible about 10 years ago and, even though I could relate to it, I guess I didn't have the life-experience to be ripe enought to utilize it properly. And I wasn't into ritualizing too.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Originally Posted By: DamnedLucky

I'm envious of those who discover Satanism in their teens, before they've become successful through other less productive means.

Damned Lucky...I do not wish to detract from what you said; but rather point a couple of things out. First…whether you knew what the word meant, if you are a Satanist, you have always been a Satanist. Second…I invite you to read the post Citizen Degenerate made in this thread. All of us…Satanists included…become who we are by a series of trial and error.

Perhaps one of the most common fantasies among intelligent people is the ability to return to an earlier state, while retaining the knowledge we have gained in life. The paradox is, we have gained this knowledge through a series of trial and error. I do not know for certain; but, I would wager that you have learned much more from your mistakes than successes.

"'cause down here in Hell everybody loves Me!"
("Hell Is Home", Judas Priest)

#475237 - 06/21/12 08:29 PM Re: What Does Satanism Mean To You? [Re: DamnedLucky]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
Things that I was born with don't make me proud - being white, American, a Satanist...

I'd say that you had the tools you were born with and as you matured you learned how to utilize them.

Just my opinion but whatever works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404445 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements