Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#476418 - 07/10/12 08:59 PM Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist..
deon24 Offline

I just started my read of this book. Originally, I went to purchase "Propaganda" by Edward bernays(which I highly recomend) but noticed the biography and switched choices quickly lol. Anyway, I was just curious to hear what everyone elses thoughts were on this book.

#476421 - 07/10/12 09:18 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Imagine sitting down with Anton LaVey and he begins to open up to you. He begins telling you how his life was as a youth, how certain concepts of Satanism was formulated into his young mind and as he matured how they applied even more so in his life. Imagine speaking to a man who had such vast knowledge that he was capable of building a long lasting religion upon it. Imagine that you are given a rare opportunity to pick his brain about the human animal and even shares secrets with you about magic.

I found myself in awe after this book. It is filled with romance, adventure, and action. It is filled with things that go bump in the night that are ever so mysterious. I really cannot express enough how much I love this book. You have a rare find and I do hope you enjoy it!

#476422 - 07/10/12 09:28 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
deon24 Offline

Its very funny because I've called that bookstore plenty of times, and they could never get it lol. So the one time I go in to get one book, it finds its way to the shelf. Even after reading the first couple chapters I was drawn deeper and deeper into it. It also gives even more justice to how brilliant of a man Anton LaVey was.

#476423 - 07/10/12 09:32 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I too have been fairly lucky. I misplaced more than 1 copy in my time but every time I walked into a used bookstore I was fortunate enough to find it. Interesting enough they were almost always in a different section.

#476426 - 07/10/12 09:42 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
deon24 Offline

Is there any other books you may recomend?

#476429 - 07/10/12 09:50 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
thorn9 Offline

Since you enjoy that book so much you should try and get the one called "The Church of Satan".

#476432 - 07/10/12 10:09 PM Book Recommendations! [Re: deon24]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I could recommend you A LOT of books as Satanism is a worldly philosophy so thus it endorses worldly knowledge. However I will share with you a couple of posts that have helped me substantially. These posts are well written and the author is a member of the Church of Satan Priesthood so he is an authority upon the subject.

1. HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT.

Pretty much expresses the importance of getting the fundamentals under your belt. Once you do that a nice follow up by the same author is linked in my signature.

2. Deep Satanism

An expansion on that essay is found in Magister Sass's book ESSAYS IN SATANISM Vol. 1.

It is an emphasis again on reading the fundamentals but not just stopping there and expanding into the bibliography of The Satanic Witch.

Also The reading list for fiction/nonfiction on the Church of Satan website.

Studying Satanism is a life long project. Be thankful we have access to the internet because before it the members didn't have as easy access to such things.

Best of luck!

Edited by Unknown (07/10/12 10:23 PM)

#476436 - 07/10/12 10:35 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
thorn9 Offline

You can also try the book "The Devil's Avenger" by Burton Wolfe. It was the first biography done on Anton LaVey and came out in 1974.

#476472 - 07/11/12 07:53 AM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
Originally Posted By: deon24
Is there any other books you may recomend?

http://purgingtalon.com/main/purging-talon-books/

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#476474 - 07/11/12 08:03 AM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: thorn9]
Waya Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: thorn9
You can also try the book "The Devil's Avenger" by Burton Wolfe. It was the first biography done on Anton LaVey and came out in 1974.

You can find that on Amazon. It's going for $146.95. And that's the cheapest one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0515034711/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#476483 - 07/11/12 10:17 AM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
Wolfe
Unregistered

One of my personal favorites is LaVey's collection of essays called "Satan Speaks." Also, "The Satanic Scriptures," by Magus Gilmore, is essential reading, and I always go back to it now and again.

#476488 - 07/11/12 12:57 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
deon24 Offline

Thank you all for the suggestions and thoughts on the book. I also read through the bibliography in TSW and I was blown away by how many books on psychology, anthropology that were included. I wrote a few down and have began to order them. Thing is, The Church of Satan book is really hard to find. I found a copy on amazon but for nearly 400$. Ill purchase it if need be, but is there any where else you all can suggest me look?

#476489 - 07/11/12 01:10 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: deon24]
thorn9 Offline

Sorry to hear that books like "The Devil's Avenger" and "The Church of Satan" are so hard to find now and are so expensive! Another Satanist told me they saw "The Devils Avenger" on Ebay recently so you can maybe give that a shot.

#476505 - 07/11/12 08:17 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: thorn9]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
Sorry to hear that books like "The Devil's Avenger" and "The Church of Satan" are so hard to find now and are so expensive!

Here's some good news in regards to The Church of Satan from www.churchofsatan.com

The Church of Satan by Blanche Barton. A detailed history of the Church, with photos, lists of Satanic films, music, and books is now being revised. It is officially sold out. Some scalpers are selling copies on eBay for huge amounts of money. We suggest that you wait for the revised, updated, expanded edition which will be announced on this web site as soon as pre-orders are being taken.

So keep your eyes on www.churchofsatan.com news page and you may be able to order the revised edition sooner or later!

#476507 - 07/11/12 08:38 PM Re: Just purchased The Secret Life of A Satanist.. [Re: Unknown]
thorn9 Offline

Yes I remember reading that a new version of "The Church of Satan" book would come out someday. I have the original version, but I may buy the newer version when it comes out anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12020 Members
73 Forums
43831 Topics
405233 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements