Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#477036 - 07/20/12 08:02 PM You could say I don't understand the church of Satan.
Ezpzcpizzi Offline
Whinebag

Well, I had just decided to utilize the internet for educating me on a subject today. But looking up Satanism, in the atheistic manner, is quite odd to me.
I've read the basic rules and beliefs of this religion, but I don't quite see the point to it. It seems that this is closely related to atheism in the fact that it doesn't change anything about the participator's daily life. It seems to promote indulgence in things that feel nice in a physical or emotional aspect, and also the expression of who a person truly is, without the influence of society. If this is the case, I live this way already, and I follow no religion. I do not see the need to be told to act how you would regularly act. Having another religion for things doesn't seem to be a good answer, we really have enough already. I feel like it may just create another group of people to hate, when all they are doing is displaying their true characteristics. On that note, why would Satan be a good representation of this? I can only theorize that Satan represents the opposite to the organized religions we have in society now. But Satan is just the other extreme, and like I've stated, a reason for people to direct hate.
Again, I would like to state I have not done that much research on this topic. I just know that I go about living as myself, without societal influence, but I attempt to be discrete, and I do not require a religion to tell me how to act that way. You all seem intelligent, which baffles me the most, so I ask of you to provide me with answers. Thank you.

#477037 - 07/20/12 08:17 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Ezpzcpizzi]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

All the answers you seek are provided in The Satanic Bible, Dr. LaVey's writings, and the Church of Satan website. Your questions have been asked many times before.

We are not here to educate or constantly regurgitate replies that can be obtained by a person's own research.

By your own account, you are not a Satanist, just curious about it. And, you admit to not doing much research.

Therefore, that is what you need to do.

Onwards with your research!

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#477039 - 07/20/12 08:49 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Ezpzcpizzi]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

So if I told you humans have this tendency, when there are many of them of like mind, to form societies, lodges, organizations, etc, you would be utterly surprised?

Seriously?

Sounds pretty ignorant to me, though decidedly better than the alternative that you just thought you'd be a pain in the ass, hoping to trip us up by asking what higher purpose we have. Sorry chief, some things are done for their own sake.

#477040 - 07/20/12 08:55 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Ezpzcpizzi Offline
Whinebag

Not attempting to trip anyone up, so you say. But to answer that question, I would not be surprised for like minded to form organizations, but it seems that everyone is being themselves, and if that is the case, how could they all be like minded.

I tend to see struggle bring people into community together, even with beliefs. Often addressing the struggles that following that belief create.

#477041 - 07/20/12 08:59 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Phineas]
Ezpzcpizzi Offline
Whinebag

Obviously I'm not aware of how many times you get asked the same questions. I just really don't want to commit the time to read the whole bible. I'm pretty much asking for condensing and personal opinions on how it has helped them in certain ways to be a part of this religion.

#477042 - 07/20/12 09:00 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Ezpzcpizzi]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

You expect all of this for free? grin

You expect US to do the work for you?

Not going to happen.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#477043 - 07/20/12 09:07 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Phineas]
Ezpzcpizzi Offline
Whinebag

For free? I wasn't aware I should pay money for such knowledge.
I honestly just didn't expect people on here to be so unwilling to educate on the subject. This religion is looked down upon by so many, I would assume that explaining why it is important to the people participating would not be a problem. I talk to Christians, Amish, Mennonite, and Muslims, and I ask them things that could help me better understand what their religion is and why they utilize it. I'm fascinated, I didn't expect to be a burden.

#477044 - 07/20/12 09:18 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Ezpzcpizzi]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

If you had done your research, all of this would have been clear.

Once again, since it hasn't registered: do your own homework.

It will not be done for you.

#477045 - 07/20/12 09:21 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Ezpzcpizzi]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I would not be surprised for like minded to form organizations, but it seems that everyone is being themselves, and if that is the case, how could they all be like minded.

What exactly is the big mystery here? Are you under some impression that the only purpose of an organization is to tell its members what to do? Or that individualists may not have anything in common whatsoever?

The only thing I can guess from this is that you've somehow gotten the impression that Satanism is egalitarian, that "being yourself" is the qualifier and nothing more. If not, and you assert that you are aware that Satanism entails more than merely being yourself, then you already have your answer, and the question is pointless.

I tend to see struggle bring people into community together, even with beliefs. Often addressing the struggles that following that belief create.

So basically you're beating around the bush to say that you think we call ourselves Satanists to antagonize people and make trouble for ourselves, and we exist as a support group for the inevitable problems that arise from this.

Why not just say that more plainly so nobody has to decode your swipe at us?

#477046 - 07/20/12 09:28 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Phineas]
Ezpzcpizzi Offline
Whinebag

Well you know, I have read what is available on that website. I can not exactly purchase the bible and read it at this moment. The whole atmosphere in this forum has had me walking on eggshells. I'm average, I'm educated, but because I haven't read an extreme amount on your specific subject, I am treated like a moron. Honestly, from what I read on your religion, I don't even understand the behavior I get from you. I have definitely been developing a dislike for this religion through this time. You all seem intelligent, but unwilling to develop a conversation, and quite pompous, honestly. I just wanted human perspective - to put a person to a religion - but the response just feels robotic.

#477047 - 07/20/12 09:33 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Ezpzcpizzi]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Thank you.

The next time you take a college course, don't do the homework, don't read the assignment, just show up and ask the professor to provide you with a synopsis and then lets see if you are treated as anything but bright.

You and your sense of entitlement are welcome to move on.

There is nothing for you here.

#477048 - 07/20/12 09:36 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Ezpzcpizzi Offline
Whinebag

First, why so defensive? I'm attempting to ask questions without making anything sound offensive.

Well I am not under the impression that it is just being yourself, but it seems to include many qualifiers that are already expressed by being oneself. But what does an organization do, in this case? This is obviously my question, and my idea of common struggles was my theory. Also I have no idea how that theory relates to you all starting trouble with people, because that is just support and has nothing to do with the public.

I really hate this conversation because I feel everything I say is taken from an argumentative stance, and blown out of proportion. I'm getting anger back, but I don't have a problem with your religion, by any means. I'm more of a to each his own person.

#477049 - 07/20/12 09:39 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Phineas]
Ezpzcpizzi Offline
Whinebag

Ah, but would you pay for a course that was not on your college plan? Or ask another who has taken psychology, or whatever class, to answer the few questions you have with their gained knowledge? It all sounds so selfish.

#477050 - 07/20/12 09:42 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Ezpzcpizzi]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Ezpzcpizzi
I talk to Christians, Amish, Mennonite, and Muslims, and I ask them things that could help me better understand what their religion is and why they utilize it. I'm fascinated, I didn't expect to be a burden.

Satanists don't proselytize like members of the religions you mentioned. No one wants to write an explanation because you can take some time yourself to find the information with very little effort.

Magister Phineas has already directed you to read what is publicly available on the Church of Satan website; this is a start that would require little commitment as you appear so hesitant (though this hesitance indicates it really isn't that big a concern for you, so why the hell would it be for anyone here?).

You are also looking at a forum founded and populated by members and hierarchy of the Church of Satan; read the other posts instead of expecting to be spoon fed information because you don't want to commit to reading such a short and concise book as the Satanic Bible.

Honestly, if you can't bother to put in the effort then I'd say don't bother as Satanism obviously isn't for you; the core of the philosophy would escape you as an individual.

#477051 - 07/20/12 09:50 PM Re: You could say I don't understand the church of Satan. [Re: Ezpzcpizzi]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Ezpzcpizzi
Ah, but would you pay for a course that was not on your college plan? Or ask another who has taken psychology, or whatever class, to answer the few questions you have with their gained knowledge? It all sounds so selfish.

I would most certainly and in fact have taken course work over the years that was outside of my intended track. I paid for the class and got what I wanted from the experience.

From what I can disseminate your question is basically "what is the point of Satanism?" This is hardly something that would be summarized in a few sentences and neatly wrapped with a bow on top. It is individually defined, and without reading and learning you can't expect this concept or philosophy to translate regardless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405801 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements