Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#466236 - 12/16/11 04:44 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
303vegas Offline

Loc: Lancashire, UK
Originally Posted By: Alonocus Blight
Has anyone ever asked you what your religious preference is?

What did you tell them?

depends who's asking and what mood i'm in. i'd say im a Satanist (obv...) with a nod to the nordic. i like that kinda stuff, runes and what-have-you.

it's not neccessarily something i'd want to blab all over the place, not because i'm ashamed but because, in general, people don't know anything about us. everyone knows about the semitic religions and maybe a bit about paganism but when it comes to Satanism then brains get thron on the floor and stereotypes are siezed upon. i work for the nhs but i'm not exactly sure what the policy is. there's all sorts of guff about equality and what-not but most nhs procedures to do with dealing with people are merely a legal requirement and don't translate to the real world. i would have thought that if it's good enough for the royal navy it's good enough for the nhs but then again i'm being sensible here - a rare comodity in my line of work.

#466305 - 12/17/11 12:42 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
-Ember- Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Has anyone ever asked you what your religious preference is?

What did you tell them?

Don't ask, don't tell is what I go by. If religion ever comes up as a subject at work I generally remain quiet. If I do get asked for my opinion I give a blunt quick answer. I do have friends that I can be completely open with. One of them being catholic. My friends and I rarely discuss religion because we are all very different.

There was only one time someone just came out and asked me my preference. An old boss of mine. I knew enough about my boss that I replied, Satanist. And like I guessed, she just accepted it and we discussed it a little bit because she was curious.

#476884 - 07/18/12 04:41 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
mexluver2012 Offline

I just say athiest however my hobby is studying religions and why people join. For me the people's temple has been to most fascinating study yet.

#476886 - 07/18/12 05:21 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Loc: NC
That's a fascinating hobby, Mexluver. A common and safe response for Satanists and a general, half-truth is the reply, "atheist." I'm very pleased to see that this thread is still going. It is an interesting question indeed. It seems as though we Satanists are obligated to use lesser magic in order to "feel people out." We know that a magician never shares his or her secrets, and if they choose to, it's only with a trusted individual.

Edited by Alonocus Blight (07/18/12 06:27 AM)

"Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW!"

#476898 - 07/18/12 02:11 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

It greatly depends on who I'm talking to.

Once I was at bus terminal on a trip and a gang banger was all "What's up Blood" (literal: Wut up blud?) because the five pointed star is a gang symbol for them. We had an interesting talk about vengeance, reputation, money and bitches. I'm sure I left him with much food for thought on Machiavellian leadership principles.

Most of my friends are aware of my affiliations and perspectives.

I don't talk about it unless I find it's going to entertain me. If it isn't going to entertain me then my answer is "I'm an Atheist." If they want to debate that then my answer is "I simply don't care." There's no point in discussing the finer points of Life, the Universe, and Everything with someone that hasn't got past the basics.

And frankly nothing pisses off religious people more than considering their most important questions as being pointless, a waste of time and boring. "Apatheism" is far more enraging than Atheism.

Too bad Apatheism does not roll off the tongue at all.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#476902 - 07/18/12 04:57 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Insurgent]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Originally Posted By: Insurgent

And frankly nothing pisses off religious people more than considering their most important questions as being pointless, a waste of time and boring. "Apatheism" is far more enraging than Atheism.
Apatheism does not roll off the tongue at all.

You are absolutely right. Furthermore, if the xtian debaters show up in my yard, my response to their questions is simply, "I'm not interested in what you have to sell; I am busy; please go away now." If that doesn't do the trick, then a "door in the face" WILL.

Edited by Alonocus Blight (07/18/12 05:12 PM)

"Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW!"

#476912 - 07/18/12 09:40 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Wolfe
Unregistered

Last time I was asked this question, I replied, loud and proud, "I'm a Satanist." The christian woman was too stupid to understand what that means anyway. It's a bit like saying I like heavy metal music, in that the person kind of smiles and has no clue what I'm talking about.

Of course, I live in a country that is predominantly buddhist and non-English speaking. My answer would more likely be "athiest" in different situations and locations. Most people find the answer "none" difficult to comprehend. Best to avoid these kinds of talks anyway.

#477120 - 07/21/12 10:20 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
That's a fascinating hobby, Mexluver. A common and safe response for Satanists and a general, half-truth is the reply, "atheist." I'm very pleased to see that this thread is still going. It is an interesting question indeed. It seems as though we Satanists are obligated to use lesser magic in order to "feel people out." We know that a magician never shares his or her secrets, and if they choose to, it's only with a trusted individual.

I can see this thread is brought back from death though I already assumed it was buried.

Atheist as a word is interesting when we talk about Satanism, cause Satanism starts from being an Atheist, like our High Priest Magus Gilmore, and many others as well has been stating many times.

Many assume that being an atheist means you are opposite to being for example the Satanist (aka they assume that if one is atheist, it is all what there is for the person) but Atheism only means you do not hold faith in any deity.

That is why Atheist as a term is so simple for Satanist, you do not have to lie or color the truth when you are simply atheist in the eyes of others. You give them truth by that answer when they ask about your religious preference and usually the discussion about the issue stops there cool

#477157 - 07/22/12 01:43 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Janina]
Alonocus Blight Offline

CoS_Member

Janina, it seems as if you have finally laid this topic to rest. However, if this topic is anything like Jason Voorhees, we may see it rise again...

Edited by Alonocus Blight (07/22/12 02:09 PM)

#477161 - 07/22/12 02:38 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Janina, it seems as if you have finally laid this topic to rest. However, if this topic is anything like Jason Voorhees, we may see it rise again...

Like te Fenix from the ash..

But seriously Alonocus, your commenting awakened my interest to the issue again and this thread has been very fun and educational to follow.. wink

#477182 - 07/22/12 08:04 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Bill_M]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
Originally Posted By: Bill_M

I sure as hell never get asked it in a professional setting, like the office.

Good, I personally believe such questions are unprofessional. My office actually instructs leaders to sway such conversations.

I'm almost never asked that question, depending on my assessment of the other person's stability, I generally either say I'm an Atheist, or I tell them I love Jesus. The sad thing is I know the Holy Bible better than most of the bible thumpers I run into.

#477190 - 07/22/12 09:23 PM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Mr_47]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Mr_47

The sad thing is I know the Holy Bible better than most of the bible thumpers I run into.

So do I. I read the book just to know what's in there. Now when I know it I could never believe it!

In our culture religion is not common issue in discussions between people in job or anywhere else. Here it is not even big issue in elections. For that reason the most probable situation where somebody would ask the question would be in places like railwaystation or airport where converters try to hunt the lost souls! Here where I live people think it as private information and though most are interested about issues like religious preference it is not question you ask in cafe table discussion with others..

The most usual situation to end up to religion is when somebody finds faith or loses it and wants to talk about it.. wink

#478431 - 08/08/12 01:51 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
TheMerryRose Offline

Loc: the City Of Sin.
It really depends on what i'm looking to get out of the conversation. All my friends and immediate family allready know my "religion", as do the local jehovah witness.

In the millitary I was a southern baptist and around my grandma I still am. (I love my grandma and the shock would probably kill her.)

As for the "holy bible" I think it's the biggist load of shit ever sold. I mean evan if it was true WTF! I'm an all powerfull god but I will just have to nail my son to a cross for three days because I love him and you guys so much! vomit

Edited by TheMerryRose (08/08/12 02:17 AM)

#478442 - 08/08/12 07:34 AM Re: "So, what's your religious preference?" [Re: Alonocus Blight]
Piru Offline

It's very wise to not talk to anyone about your religion especially when you're a Satanist , some people can not see the world through your eyes and others will use the information against you.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Forum Stats
12026 Members
73 Forums
43832 Topics
405260 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements