Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#479170 - 08/20/12 11:12 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Lust]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I keep my audience and my interests in mind at all times.

On the Anonymous Internet, as they say, no one knows you're a dog, so I can afford to be blunt, direct, and thorough when offering information about Satanism.

On online areas where I represent myself, I intentionally keep the content of my postings and comments fairly broad and diverse, so that when I educate folks (subtly! sneakily!) about Satanism, it's (ideally) taken as Just Another Strange and Wacky Topic Weird Ol' Troj Knows Things About.

IRL, I gauge who I'm talking to, and adjust accordingly. Some of the people I know would not be able to tolerate a full-blown lecture on Satanism, and would readily (and let's face it, rightly) conclude that I must *be* a Satanist, if I'm saying such nice things about them. So, in those cases, I start by debunking the "little" lies and myths related to the Satanic Panic, and I increase the temperature, so to speak, very gradually, if at all.

I also won't hesitate to hide behind the "I know some Satanists" card, and this can also provide me with some leeway in various situations.

Though, to be honest, on a daily basis, I deal with more situations where I have to vouch for LGBTQ folks, and debunk myths about them. Second place: Doing my best to correct glaring misconceptions about both Conservatives and Liberals. Third place: Sticking up for atheists. (And, again, I consider my audience, as well as my priorities.)

The times when I have to or get to talk about Satanism these days are relatively few and far between, sadly enough.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#479172 - 08/20/12 11:43 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: TrojZyr]
Lust Offline

I enjoyed your response and I even had a bit of a chuckle, I thank you for that, Witch TrojZyr.

Most will never understand a lecture on Satanism and sadly enough they do not understand their own religion in most cases. Know your enemy and all of that.

Always a pleasure. wink

HS!
coopdevil
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#479184 - 08/21/12 03:12 AM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Lust]
Nufan Offline

I loved listening to that interview.

As for your question, I guess it all depends on what one is trying to accomplish. Standing, or hiding in the shadows. Sometimes I can't understand why people don't see things in the same way, and it makes me want them to see what I do, but I am not sure what I would be accomplishing by always being entirely going against the flow. Sometimes you have to go along to get along, but I do understand your view point, and share it at certain times.

Making someone understand me, gives me pleasure, and stupidity annoys me, so making someone understand can do both, when it does not cause me harm.

I don't need to personally argue Satanism most of the time, and just argue the points and ideas, and that can be effective enough for most of the time. I haven't really had to recently defend my entire view point, and I don't mind being in the shadows. Maybe sometime, when I can feel safe, and established enough to say what I want I will be able to be more open, but I don't feel the need to "convert" anyone, and aside from me knowing I am right and people seeing I am right, or seeing a way in which I am wrong in certain respects, I am not sure I have any reason to argue.

I do sometimes wish there was a war to get rid of feeble-minded people, but I don't see that as happening any time soon. I am not sure of a way it would be possible, at this point in time and from my point of view, without violating the teachings in the Satanic Bible. I am hesitant to be a martyr, or soldier in that way when I can live freely how I am.

I do have a question however: If it was illegal to practice Satanism, would you identify with it openly? (Note: I did not say would be still be a Satanist, as Satanism is pretty much a naturally occurring thing)

Edited by Nufan (08/21/12 03:13 AM)

#479185 - 08/21/12 03:31 AM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Lust]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
Where I live everyone comes to me. I rarely go out unless I need grocery's or something and most people who come my way are clients. People who seek out a guy covered in devil tattoos and want to pay him to carve a design into their body rarely (if ever) would bring up religion. The Mormon's and Jehovah's witnesses walk around my house. And I have tattooed most of the surrounding population.

I have had the local ministers bring their daughters for their belly rings because even if they don't approve of it, they are having Avery do it so at least it's clean!

My Grandfather is a minister and has run his own church for 30+ years. He doesn't even bother me with questions nor does he ever offer me christian advice to sway my opinions.

I have had more arguments about the existence of ghosts with people than I have about christianity in the past decade.

I have been to a few party's where some drunk religious person might be offended enough to say something about "when I meet god" but it's normally over my tattoos.

I'm actually given a lot of respect by people in the community. I do like to volunteer with my son's class and go on field trips with them (kindergarten) but the moms and teachers are so impressed to see a dad show so much interest in his kids development that the fact that we do not believe in god means little to nothing to them. I have raised my boys that this is the only life and there is no god but they know why other people think there is, I simply tell them the truth.

I think you did a wonderful job with your interview. The only questions they could throw at you were statements about blind faith that even they kind of back peddled on. Did they give you any follow up questions after the show? I think they expected you to be full of crazy shit and you slowly deflated their balloon. Good job, Sir!!

#479215 - 08/21/12 11:40 AM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: StabAvery]
Lust Offline

I thank you and would say that you are dead on.

HS!
coopdevil
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�

#479216 - 08/21/12 11:45 AM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Nufan]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Nufan
I do have a question however: If it was illegal to practice Satanism, would you identify with it openly? (Note: I did not say would be still be a Satanist, as Satanism is pretty much a naturally occurring thing)

Hmm, because I was born a Satanist that would make me a criminal in that situation but because of Lesser Magic I doubt that anyone would ever know. Because we are not in old times we can live openly but again LM is always key. I find martyrs disgusting and that is not at all what I suggest.

Glad you enjoyed the interview.

HS!
coopdevil

#479220 - 08/21/12 12:16 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Lust]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Well...if you take seriously the imagery of Satan, you will see that the title is used in a legal sense; that is, Satan is the one who calls things into question. He plays a needed adversarial role. The title of Satan makes no sense if all he does is stand around, afraid to rock the boat.

Yes, Satanists set themselves up to be their own gods. No, Satanism does not require martyrdom. But I question whether one is missing the mark if they see Satanism as being a personalized religion with no social responsibilities. There are many ways to oppose ignorance and hypocrisy. None of them need bring up the word "Satanism". In fact, I think it is more effective to point these things out without any reference a personal stance. Some things are just wack because they are wack.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#479222 - 08/21/12 01:01 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Well...if you take seriously the imagery of Satan, you will see that the title is used in a legal sense; that is, Satan is the one who calls things into question. He plays a needed adversarial role. The title of Satan makes no sense if all he does is stand around, afraid to rock the boat.

Yes, Satanists set themselves up to be their own gods. No, Satanism does not require martyrdom. But I question whether one is missing the mark if they see Satanism as being a personalized religion with no social responsibilities. There are many ways to oppose ignorance and hypocrisy. None of them need bring up the word "Satanism". In fact, I think it is more effective to point these things out without any reference a personal stance. Some things are just wack because they are wack.

Agreed 100%

HS!
coopdevil

#479224 - 08/21/12 01:19 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Lust]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
Personally, I don't bother. When one truly believe in things that are not real, one abrogates reason. There is no point in trying to reason with people like that. When one asks, I answer. If one wishes to debate, I will-to a point. They will believe exactly what they want to, so there is no point in trying to persuade them otherwise. Let them have their fantasy. But if they come looking for a (legal) fight, I'll meet them in the proverbial schoolyard at 3:00.
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#479230 - 08/21/12 02:18 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Nufan Offline

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Personally, I have and do fulfill my social responsibilities, as in having been/am public servant. Although, this doesn't necessarily mean one does try to fulfill social responsibilities, it does in my case. I do question things, which in most cases is enough to rock the boat, because it makes people actually think. It seems almost what you would be saying is make sure one doesn't just perform lip service, and hide in their basement. Actually try and be the fly in the ointment.

#479231 - 08/21/12 02:20 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Nufan]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Nufan
It seems almost what you would be saying is make sure one doesn't just perform lip service, and hide in their basement. Actually try and be the fly in the ointment.

That's it...yes.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#479246 - 08/21/12 05:34 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Lust]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Nowadays when I find out someone's a Christian then I just stay away from them. From bad experiences I realized that they are all the fuckin' same.

If you ain't down with Jesus then sooner or later they're gonna start shit with you because they just LOVE getting off on religious debates.

They never use logic in their arguments and it's pointless to even have a discussion with them, let alone about religion. Kind of think of it, probably most discussions I had with Xtians ended up being religious and they were the ones that brought up the subject.

It's a waste of energy and I simply don't have the time or patience to deal with them. Thank god I run my own business and I don't have to talk to anyone. (unless through email.)

Besides, Christianity is dying anyway and I hope to be still alive to attend the funeral! coopdevil

#479247 - 08/21/12 05:52 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Callier]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Callier
Besides, Christianity is dying anyway and I hope to be still alive to attend the funeral!

I suspect we will, my friend. I suspect we will.

HS!
coopdevil

#479248 - 08/21/12 05:54 PM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Citizen Jonesy]
Lust Offline

Well said, Citizen Jonesy. Well said!

HS!
coopdevil

#479289 - 08/22/12 12:22 AM Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Callier]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
Quote:
Besides, Christianity is dying anyway and I hope to be still alive to attend the funeral!

Amen brother!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements