Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#479368 - 08/22/12 05:03 PM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: Mason_Rust]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Mason Rust,

Thank you for the synopsis; it sounds like I have yet another book to add to my ever growing reading list. Your input is appreciated!

#479369 - 08/22/12 05:04 PM Re: Metallic Rules [Re: Quaark]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Quaark
Then there's the Unknown Alloy Rule.

"Do what is in your best interest (with an intelligent balance between immediate and long term), and let others scratch their heads in confusion trying to determine what set of rules you're following."

wink

And we have a winner! Well played! grin

#479379 - 08/22/12 07:44 PM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: Psychotherapeut]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Well, if you are serious about that, then Billions & Billions is excellent, but let me urge you to hold off and purchase an even better one by Sagan. The Demon Haunted World: Science As A Candle In The Dark is similar in the sense that it is a compilation of Carl Sagan's essays. However, there is an underlying theme of discussing the past and modern "unknowns" of the world, how humans interpretted them (with myth) and how science has shone light on them. His essays then get into more modern things, such as UFO sightings, ghosts, etc. and what science has to say about them.

In this book, Sagan not only uses cut-throat science to debunk myths, he does what a lot of debunkers fall short on. He replaces these exciting but unlikely myths with truly exciting modern science that doesn't make one have want or need of previous, yet wrong beliefs. Most just debunk, and then leave it at that, and I think that's wrong. There is so much awesome scientific questions we don't have answers to, it's very stimulating to point them out and pose possible paths to new discovery.

This book, I have to firmly say, is my favorite non-fiction science piece that I have in my collection (and it's a very large collection). I have read it at least four times all the way through, and have often re-read other select parts more than that. If I were stranded on a desert island and could only bring, say five books with me, I don't know what all five would be, but The Satanic Bible and The Demon Haunted world would make the cut!

#479380 - 08/22/12 08:02 PM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
TheAbysmal Offline

With such a glowing review, I don't know how I can pass this one up. Thanks for dropping the suggestion!

Refuse to die.

#479385 - 08/22/12 08:45 PM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: Mason_Rust]
Psychotherapeut Offline

CoS Member

Very cool! I'll add that one to my wishlist for when I finish up a couple I'm working through now. It's nice to get a break from work related topics. Thanks for the recommendation!

#479393 - 08/22/12 10:30 PM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
Bill_M Online
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: ConquerOrPerish
What do you think the difference is between Satanists and everyone else?

Although I'm taking it slightly out of context here, a closing quote from Dr. LaVey's essay "Curses by the Dozen" comes to mind: "As Satanists, you are just a tiny step closer to honesty, a wee bit tougher in the will department, and slightly more sensitive as a barometer."

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#479434 - 08/23/12 01:31 PM Re: Metallic Rules [Re: Mason_Rust]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
Reverend Quaark likes other metals.

#479440 - 08/23/12 03:47 PM Re: Metallic Rules [Re: Mason_Rust]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

You forgot about the Platinum rule:

Don't fuck me, Tony. Don't you ever try to fuck me.

No wait, that's Scarface.

#479441 - 08/23/12 03:57 PM Re: Metallic Rules [Re: Callier]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Humor accepted!

Good one!

#479603 - 08/26/12 04:17 PM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
Thank you all for your wonderful responses. It's the same with every religion: different interpretations apply to different people. Some Christians are hatemongers, others love everyone from the cloisters, others love everyone by digging in the trenches. Some Muslims slay infidels, others are moderate. That's why it's more sensible to break people up into "individual cells" like Magus Gilmore says instead of having them in herds that constantly break up into sub-herds. "S/m dykes of color", anyone? smile

HS!

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#479611 - 08/26/12 07:22 PM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

A lot of us took time to point out some statements you made in your original post which seemed to describe Satanism incorrectly. You haven't addressed these at all, despite having seemingly read through all of the replies in this new post you've made.

It's one thing to be wrong and admit it. But to ignore a lot of what was discussed here is rude, I think.

I feel like I wasted my time replying in the first place. I doubt I'm alone.

Edited by Mason_Rust (08/26/12 07:23 PM)

#479813 - 08/31/12 11:25 AM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: Mason_Rust]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Ok, I will address the issues. smile

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#479814 - 08/31/12 11:32 AM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: Zaftig]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

I believe in the golden rule; I do unto others as they do unto me.

That's not the golden rule. The golden rule is do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It comes from The Bible, The Analects of Confucius, and Zeno the Stoic. It's present in every major religion. Dr. Lavey reversed course by saying (paraphrasing) "if you do unto others as you would have them do unto you and they don't return in kind, you're a doormat."

I also believe in forgiveness; how else could I ever think to have even the most remote bit of intimacy with someone if I cannot forgive them? I know where my line is, I will forgive for infractions within it, but not for things without. Surely, you understand the difference between a mature acceptance of mistakes and serious transgressions?

It sounds like you're talking about those who are close to you. I forgave my boyfriend after a fight because we're two peas in a pod. I do not forgive humans in general for their foolishness.

So you brood about giving the silent treatment instead of facing something head on and possibly actually resolving the issue? Being assertive gets you things in life. There is a huge difference between being assertive and aggressive, and you are conflating the two.

I believe assertiveness is a reflection of Social Solipsism, (paraphasing) "sliding into the comfortable delusion that everyone is like you. They're not." Safety first.

I am selfish, but an examination of my life will find people extremely pleased with me; I work hard, I keep commitments, I am responsible and always give it my best shot.

Good. Me too. People are satisfied with me.

Your version of Satanism appears like a petulant child stomping their foot because they didn't get what they want. I do not subscribe to your views on this.

No foot stomping here. Just quiet reading, working hard, self-discipline, and studying.

#479935 - 09/02/12 01:50 PM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: Bill_M]
TheMerryRose Offline

Loc: the City Of Sin.
Originally Posted By: Bill_M

Although I'm taking it slightly out of context here, a closing quote from Dr. LaVey's essay "Curses by the Dozen" comes to mind: "As Satanists, you are just a tiny step closer to honesty, a wee bit tougher in the will department, and slightly more sensitive as a barometer."

Rev. Bill_M this is an excellent answer. In fact the only thing I might want to add to it would be...

From Anton Szandor LaVey's foreword to The Devil's Notebook.

"I took up Satanism not out of desperation but out of logical dismay that there were so many short sighted pepole around me. I thought, acted, and thereupon found myself removed. And lo and behold I was a Satanist. A prideful outcast. If the "just" the "good" the "righteous" were exemplified by the cowering ones, I wanted no part of them.

My brand of Satanism is the ultimate conscious alternative to herd mentality and institutionalized thought. It is a studied and contrived set of principles and exercises designed to liberate individuals from a contagion of mindlessness that destroys innovation. I have termed my thought "Satanism" because it is most stimulating under that name."

#479958 - 09/02/12 09:39 PM Re: What's the difference between Satanists and everyone else? [Re: ConquerOrPerish]
mercfocus Offline

Loc: San Diego CA

Everyone else hates each other

First, I have to say I strongly agree with everyone else's responses to this. While I'm fairly new to this study of Satinism, I am certainly not new to myself which identifies so perfectly well with everything I'm reading. To the point that I'm not really learning anything new so much as my discovery of someone (Anton LaVey) having put down on paper the truth about myself that has been my driving force for so long.

Second, brutal honesty I think is a strong trademark.

Third, hatred towards ALL mankind? I need to clear something up for myself here: I don't know all mankind. How do I hate people I have never met or read about or seen on TV? According to one estimate, the world population reached 7 billion near the end of last year. I can't possibly meet every single person on earth to even honestly know for myself if I hate them or not. What ever one might feel one way or another about all humanity I think requires stereotyping. Xtians stereotype all humanity in their doctrines. This makes me sick and has an insulting way of trying to strip me of my individulity. I can safely say I do not hate hardly any of humanity.

Now I have 2 questions:
1st: When you read on this Satinism, do you identify with it in a personal way or is it something you're trying to learn how to accept?
2nd: what is "new fangled feminism"?

It's just terminology I have never seen before.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12019 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405226 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements